Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, Ray Davies 're-recording of ..' "Sunny Afternoon , 2006

Post by johnfoyle »

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... ANE-DC.XML

Keane postponement casts cloud over Razorlight

Thu Aug 24, 2006

By Katie Hasty

NEW YORK (Billboard) - UK rock outfit Razorlight has returned to U.S. shores to promote its self-titled second effort, though its stay may be brief.

Originally intending to tour the U.S. with compatriot band Keane, Razorlight has cut those plans short after Keane postponed the dates in order for singer Tom Chaplin to undergo drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

"So there's that. Plus, somebody lost my guitar at the airport today. It's the only one in the world like it. So as you can tell," Razorlight frontman Johnny Borell told Billboard.com with a laugh, "there's a few things still up in the air."

"Razorlight" was released Tuesday via Universal Motown and features what Borell described as "10 singles. A struggle for us is trying to convince people that we're not just a band that sounds like a lot of other bands. We want to sound distinctively Razorlight," he said. "We also didn't want to make the exact same record again with a different distortion pedal."

Compared to the quartet's 2004 debut "Up All Night," Borell considered "Razorlight" to be a significantly more "confident, positive and defiant" record, with a focus on strong songs.

"'Up All Night' was a great debut for us, it's what we needed to do," he said. "But it was four proper songs, then a whole lot of thrashing about."

As for touring in support of the release, the group has a handful of dates (http://www.myspace.com/razorlight) in Japan and the UK scheduled for the fall. And while it had originally scheduled performances independent of Keane this week and next in New York and Los Angeles, Razorlight is likely to cancel those shows.

Aside from promoting the new album, Borell was also recently invited into the studio by Ray Davies as a backing vocalist for a re-recording of the Kinks' "Sunny Afternoon."

"I get there, and quickly discover that Elvis Costello was invited as well," Borell said. "I don't know if he's going to do anything with (the track), but at least I was able to meet two more of my English music heroes."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Ray Davies forum tells of Ray being involved with some re-recording of Kinks songs for use in the 'Desperate Housewives' ; I wonder is this part of the same sessions?
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis, Ray Davies 're-recording of ..' "Sunny After

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:A Ray Davies forum tells of Ray being involved with some re-recording of Kinks songs for use in the 'Desperate Housewives' ; I wonder is this part of the same sessions?
Interesting.

I wonder if Elvis would try and persuade Ray to do Tired Of Waiting For You.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis, Ray Davies 're-recording of ..' "Sunny Afternoon

Post by Man out of Time »

Another mention of this session in an interview with the Islington Gazette from 6 May 2014. The relevant extract is below:

‘Humbled’ Johnny Borrell hopes to regain golden touch as Razorlight return

"His most recent solo venture, Johnny Borrell and Zazou – an ambitious blues and tango ensemble – is certainly evidence of a wide musical appreciation that was both built and realised during his upbringing in Muswell Hill.

“One of the best things that ever happened to me was here in 2005 when, sitting at home with a terrible hangover, the phone rang. ‘Hello Johnny, it’s Ray Davies, I’m down in our studio at the moment in Konk’.

“I thought ‘f*** off’ and put the phone down. He phoned me back straight away, saying, ‘Hi Johnny, no, it really is Ray. I’m here with Elvis Costello and we’re re-recording some of our old songs if you want to come down and play guitar’. The car had already started before I put the phone down; I mean Ray is just a huge, huge hero… I can’t express how happy I was.”

The session was also reported in this article in the NME on 28 October 2007.

According to that article:

" Kinks legend Ray Davies teamed up with Razorlight's frontman Johnny Borrell tonight (October 28) for a version of former Number One hit 'Sunny Afternoon'.

The pair, who went into the studio to re-record the famous hit in the summer of 2006, joined forces again onstage at the Camden Roundhouse on the closing night of the 2007 BBC Electric Proms."

Whatever happened to the recordings from the 2005 or 2006 Konk session?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis, Ray Davies 're-recording of ..' "Sunny Afternoon

Post by johnfoyle »

Mike Bodayle and I went on the Kinks Kulture trail in London recently - here's his report -

https://musiccitymike.net/2018/06/27/my ... s-kulture/

sweetest punch

Re: Elvis, Ray Davies 're-recording of ..' "Sunny Afternoon , 2006

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/jo ... 20-2687888

Johnny Borrell: “I wore all-white for every public appearance for a year”

(...)
Any other memorable duets?

“Ray Davies phoned me up out of the blue, and said: ‘Alright Johnny, it’s Ray from The Kinks. I’ve got Elvis Costello in the studio, we were thinking do you want to come down and play guitar on ‘Sunny Afternoon’? Fucking what?! Yes! I had one of those hangovers where it’s seeping out of every pore and it lasts until 9pm the next day, but it was still incredible.”
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.