Steve Nieve

Pretty self-explanatory
Extreme Honey

Steve Nieve

Post by Extreme Honey »

For those of you who know...some quick questions on the man behind the attractions:

1) Is he well known in the world of keyboardists?
2) Did he ever have a band besides Elvis?
3) Does he have family in UK or America?
4) And any other info you may have about him. He's such a secretive fellow I've never managed to find any biography of use.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think he lives in France now.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Dunno about 'band' but he's released a few solo records over the years.
What this world needs is more silly men.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

At one time led the house band on a Jonathan Ross hosted chat show (The Last Resort), billed as Steve Nieve & the Playboys.
signed with love and vicious kisses
thepopeofpop

Re: Steve Nieve

Post by thepopeofpop »

Extreme Honey wrote:1) Is he well known in the world of keyboardists?
2) Did he ever have a band besides Elvis?
3) Does he have family in UK or America?
4) And any other info you may have about him. He's such a secretive fellow I've never managed to find any biography of use.
1) Reasonably well known. About from what has been already mentioned he also played keyboards on quite a number of hit songs, especially back in the eighties. For example, David Bowie's "Absolute Beginners" and the David Bowie/Mick Jagger version of "Dancing In The Streets" recorded for Live Aid.

4) He was born Steve Nason on 19 February 1960. He lives in France with filmmaker/artist/writer Muriel Teodori (she co-wrote the story of Steve's opera "Welcome to the Voice").

I was just going to check his website stevenieve.com but I notice it's been closed down for "non-payment".
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And any other info you may have about him.
He was cutting the grass in his parents garden when someone arrived to pick him up to go and audition for The Attractions. He swam in the Irish sea on New Years day a few years ago - he's clearly bonkers.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

thepopeofpop wrote:He was born Steve Nason on 19 February 1960.
I thought it was 1958, not 1960.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

so lacklustre wrote:At one time led the house band on a Jonathan Ross hosted chat show (The Last Resort), billed as Steve Nieve & the Playboys.
Here's a mp3 of Lenny Kravitz doing Flower Child from this show, featuring not only Steve, but also Pete Thomas

http://www.4shared.com/file/3142061/af8 ... _1989.html
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
thepopeofpop wrote:He was born Steve Nason on 19 February 1960.
I thought it was 1958, not 1960.
1960. I know some sources have it as 1958, but they are wrong. He was 17 when he joined up with the Attractions (in 1977).

Note his birthdate on the official Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame "Elvis Costello and the Attractions" page: http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=2024
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

No, it was definitely 1958.

In the liner notes for the This Years Model reissue, EC confirms this, saying Steve was a 19-year-old when he joined the band. The Hall of Fame website has made a mistake.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

lostdog wrote:No, it was definitely 1958.

In the liner notes for the This Years Model reissue, EC confirms this, saying Steve was a 19-year-old when he joined the band. The Hall of Fame website has made a mistake.
Unless, gasp, Elvis has :lol:
Extreme Honey wrote:For those of you who know...some quick questions on the man behind the attractions:

Well he may be worried that you might have some bad words about him for not being there whilst his children were growing up.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

He was born Steve Nason....

At the end of the Live Stiffs album, Ian Dury is introducing all the people on stage and you can hear him, off microphone, saying "What's Steve's second name?" before announcing "Steve Nason"
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

That's some useful info, thx everybody. But there's still a lot more unknown with him. And VG, does he even have children I can criticize?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

He has a daughter born in 1981. I don't know if he has any other children.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Extreme Honey wrote:And VG, does he even have children I can criticize?
Well you criticised Elvis for not being there whilst his son grew up in another thread.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Extreme Honey wrote:And VG, does he even have children I can criticize?
Well you criticised Elvis for not being there whilst his son grew up in another thread.
That's why I asked. But I don't know what it is in Steve's case.
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

And No Coffee Table wrote:He has a daughter born in 1981. I don't know if he has any other children.
He has two children with Farrah F**k It Minor (Fey Hart) and he WAS born in 1958. I'm certain.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This old cutting tells something about Steve's life . However , I would be cautious about believing all of it.........

London Evening Standard , Feb.2 1984

Skulls and a certain Attraction

STEVE Nieve is the talented keyboard player in Elvis Costello’s band the Attractions. His recent London solo concert was one of the most delightful virtuoso performances of the past year and his solo album Keyboard Jungle shows an astonishing range of styles. You can catch him with singer Chrysta Jones playing occasional cabaret spots at Soho’s L’Escargot restaurant.

Here is Steve’s style:

HOME: I rent a two bed-roomed fifth floor flat in central London with a good view of the WRNS dormitories. I have a massive table for my train set and it folds up onto the wall like a bed. My trains include an Inter City 125 and an American train like you see in the cowboy movies.â€
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Cog Watch posts to Costellonews -

Steve Nieve is performing a solo set in duo with Vincent Segal, the
virtuoso cellist who appears on 'Mumu'. The gig takes place in Essen in
Germany at the Century of Song festival, then joining Laurie Anderson
for the 2nd part of her set. Steve will be playing new songs composed for
the event, some songs from Welcome to the Voice, that will be released by Deutsche Gramaphon next year, and some songs by his three favourite song writers: Brian Eno, Robert Wyatt and Elvis Costello.

http://www.ruhrtriennale.de/en/programm ... -anderson/

Century of Song - Laurie Anderson Songwriters and their interpreters

With:
LAURIE ANDERSON, Steve Nieve, Greg Cohen & Friends
Events:
18., 19. September
Start:
8:00 pm
Venue:
Lichtburg Essen Cinema

Kettwiger Straße 36
45127 Essen
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A few details of Steve's opera have appeared -

http://www.ruhrtriennale.de/en/presse/k ... eve-nieve/

(extract)

Throughout a busy touring schedule of 2005, Nieve recorded Welcome to the Voice, an opera composed to a libretto by Muriel Teodori. The Abbey Road Studio recording features Barbara Bonney, Sting, Robert Wyatt, Elvis Costello, the Brodsky Quartet, Marc Ribot and Ned Rothenberg and release is scheduled for early 2007 on Deutsche Gramaphon.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This German site has a release date and tracklisting for
Welcome to the Voice-

http://www.derklassikshop.at/index.php? ... _id=246181

Welcome to the Voice
Muriel Teodori
, u. a.

€ 19.90
Artikelformat: CD Album
Erscheinungsdatum: 04.05.2007 Artikelnummer: 4776524

Inhalt:

Prologue
The Ghost of Carmen
Grand grand freedom
Welcome to the Voice
Ghost of Butterfly
Ghost of Norma
To Be is Strong
Perfume Song
Desire
Troublemaker
Don't Touch Him
Distanciation
Happiness
Despair
Unlikely
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rfimusique.com/musiqueen/art ... e_8003.asp

Daniel Darc
Amours Suprêmes

Paris

17/01/2008 -

Alternative ‘80s icon Daniel Darc is currently back in the music news with his fourth solo album, Amours Suprêmes. As on his last opus, Crèvecoeur (the comeback which won Darc a coveted ‘Victoire de la musique’ award in 2005 ), Frédéric Lo joined the Parisian singer in the studio as producer, infusing his twilight ballads with luminous pop, electro and blues orchestrations. Darc also recruited the services of a host of experienced musicians including pianist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas (from Elvis Costello’s Attractions) as well as guest vocalists Alain Bashung and Robert Wyatt. The result is a stunning album - as dangerous as love, as beautiful as Gainsbourg!

Daniel Rozoum - better known to music fans as Daniel Darc - is nearly 50, but there is still something of the tortured adolescent about him, still a trace of the troubled soul who once slit his wrists live on stage. On another level, Darc appears to embody the story of the entire French punk movement, a movement which died a death in the early ‘80s as Darc’s group Taxi Girl and their punk counterparts were usurped by the advent of electronic ‘new wave’ and the onslaught of the indie scene. Darc somehow managed to survive this turbulent era and throw off the kiss of death (in a literal as well as metaphorical sense). "Quand je mourrai, he sings on J’irai au paradis, the first single release from Amours suprêmes, j'irai au paradis, c'est en enfer que j'ai passé ma vie." (When I die, I’ll go to heaven/ I spent my whole life in hell).

Darc’s lyrics may be as bleak as ever, but the tortured poetry of his songs is inevitably mellowed by Frédéric Lo’s gentle guitar chords. This softer approach will doubtless endear the former punk icon to mainstream radio stations who, these days, appear to be reconciled with the author of La pluie qui tombe and the legendary Darc classic Chercher le garçon. Indeed, the latter was recently revived on a TV talent show on M6, Darc stepping back into the spotlight alongside Alizée, Elisa Tovati and Thierry Amiel (three young singers from the new generation whom Daniel Darc and Frédéric Lo have written material for). Darc describes his relationship with Lo as essential to his musical equilibrium. “Frédéric and I have very different lifestyles,” he says, “I have a tendency to go off the rails from time to time and shoot off in all kinds of different directions. But Frédéric always knows how to get me back on the straight and narrow.”

Musically speaking, Lo brings a certain clarity and limpidity to Darc’s sound, his sumptuous production making an interesting juxtaposition with the dark, moody atmosphere of Darc’s lyrics. “I can’t stand for the music to be dark and depressing when the lyrics are already sad enough,” Darc insists, “That somehow makes everything redundant. One day, I was sitting there listening to this apparently light and carefree Japanese music when I realised that the singer was talking about how she’d cheated on her lover and wanted to die. I love the idea of some English person who doesn’t speak a word of French listening to Amours suprêmes and thinking that the lyrics are about me spreading jam on my toast at the breakfast table!”

Gainsbourg, Bashung and The Clash

Amours suprêmes - Darc’s new album title is an undisguised tribute to the Coltrane classic A Love Supreme - is full of melodic surprises, the biggest treat in store for fans being the Darc-compatible backing vocals that come courtesy of Morgane Imbeaud (from the group Cocoon) on J’irai au paradis and Annabel Fernandez on the blues-infused title track Amour suprême. Women haunt Darc’s new album from beginning to end, in fact. And Darc admits that La seule fille sur terre (The Only Girl on Earth) is "one of my favourite songs together with ‘Ne m’en veux-pas de t’en vouloir’ which I wrote for Marc Lavoine." La seule fille sur terre also happens to be a sublime piece of pop music, combining the melodic lightness of Bowie’s China Girl with a rich poetic subtext reminiscent of the late great Serge Gainsbourg.

On Ça ne sert à rien, set to a jazzy bossa-nova tempo, Darc and Lo perform a careful balancing act, integrating Robert Wyatt’s protracted sighs into their musical mix. "The way he (Wyatt) performs here reminds me of the way he performs on his own track, ‘Seasong.’He just lets out this long series of staccato sighs over and over again…" before slipping into a sort of Homeric siren song. Meanwhile, Darc and Lo spin their own strange musical web out of strands of Johnny Cash-style ‘white-trash blues’ and glam-pop à la Morrissey (whom Darc considers to be "the greatest songwriter alive today along with Dylan.")

Darc floats serenely on the surface of his songs, bound by the security of Frédéric Lo’s arrangements acting as umbilical cord as he huskily whispers his way through L.U.V., sparring backwards and forwards in English with the inimitable Bashung. “I went out on tour with (Jean-Louis) Aubert, (Richard) Kolinka and (Alain) Bashung,” Darc recounts, “And every night I shared this dressing-room with Alain, but we exchanged hardly a word with each other. That’s the spirit of L.U.V really.… It’s basically this batting back-and-forth of two-syllable words. I wanted L.U.V. to be a single, but if the words had been in French it would have been banned!” Another example where the ghost of ‘musical provocateur’ Gainsbourg hovers just above Darc’s electric keyboard.

Darc, a committed anti-establishment figure and man of the left, admits that right-wing authors such as Nimier, Céline, Morand and Blondin join works by Bukowski, Burroughs and Dylan on his bedside table. Talent, Darc believes, is independent of politics. But as the son of a Jewish/Catholic couple who converted to Protestantism, he keeps a vigilant eye on all forms of extremism. He remains haunted by the story of his grandmother, who was deported to a concentration camp and killed by the Nazis. “That fact alone,” he says, “reminds me that I belong to a minority. I often find myself thinking about the line Joe Strummer sings (on the Clash single) Guns of Brixton: 'When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?' I’d like to say I’d take the gun... But maybe it’s time to do a little good in this world instead?"

http://www.amazon.fr/Amours-Supremes-Da ... 354&sr=8-1

Amours Supremes
~ Daniel Darc

14 janvier 2008

http://www.danieldarc.com/

http://danieldarc.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Darc
Dark Life

Post by Dark Life »

My daughter called him "Stee Ameeve" when she was 3. That's not in the wikipedia article.