Spinning Songbook 20th anniversary

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Spinning Songbook 20th anniversary

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Apologies if I'm pre-empting an intended Oct 1 thread of yours, John, but have been listening to a recording off Dime of the Broadway Theater Spinning Songbook shows, and realising it was a full 20 years ago, nearly. It led me to the B&C booklet and also to Complicated Shadows, and to a few questions/comments:

1. How many bootlegs are in circulation from the tour? Apart from the above, Dime has all three nights at the Warefield in SF (with someone commenting on the Confederates night that it was the best EC gig he'd ever seen), but can't see any more.

2. Is there any video footage?

3. Thomson comments on it as a forerunner to Zooropa, and this seems very obvious to me. One bizarre connection from NY is Elvis announcing they'd go by live satellite link to Lou Reed in Tokyo, and then Steve playing a bit of Satellite of Love. U2 actually did have Lou up on the screen, though I guess recorded rather than by satellite. And didn'tthey perform satellite of Love?

4. Did anyone here attend one or more of the gigs? I'm sure we've heard before, but I can't recall. If so, how was it?

5. Is there a bootleg of Tom Waits at the Beverley Theater? Clearly the ideal MC.

6. The gig sounds fantastically enjoyable. You get fewer songs per night than his norm, but the anticipation of what will be next is great.

7. Was this the first example of EC being a very vocal host? He's always cracked jokes, but this is the first time I can remember audience participation and extended gags.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Spinning Songbook 20th anniversary

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:4. Did anyone here attend one or more of the gigs? I'm sure we've heard before, but I can't recall. If so, how was it?
Jesus - 20 years ago! *gulp*

Yep, I attended two of the shows - November '86 in Paris, the first at the Olympia and the second at the Folies Bergere with Steve, either a day or two later. I seem to remember both shows featuring the Spinning Songbook but I could be wrong. All very hazy now, but I remember the Olympia show ending with a strobe-y, psychedelic version of "Poor Napoleon".

If a boot of the Folies Bergere show exists, I'd love to hear it.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I was at all three of the Dublin shows in Dec.'86. Working for a department store at the time , the lead in to Christmas usually meant working long hours, late into the evening. When I got the tickets the previous August I was working for a store near the venue so was confident of getting to the shows. However , the week before I got moved to a suburban branch in the north side of town. Getting of in time for each show was a battle , involving currying favour with creeps in suits etc. The result was that I arrived at each show , tired and distracted.

I do remember enjoying them but found, by the third night , it was just too much of a good thing. One particularly memorable incident was the start of the second show. As the lights went down , Elvis could be heard reading a story , 'How Joe Soap Got Into Everyone' . As it progressed I became aware of a commotion near my three-rows-from-the -stage seat . Turning around who should I see but Elvis himself, slowly making his way from a seat something like two rows behind me , sheet of paper in one hand, cordless microphone in the other. Continuing through cheering fans he made his way to the stage , finishing the narration there, and starting the show proper with Brilliant Mistake.

More memories later !

See setlists here -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... raphy_1986
alexv

Post by alexv »

I was at one of the Broadway shows, up in nosebleed country, although I think it was with the Confederates. Strangely enough the highlights for me were two covers: "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man" and "True Love Ways". Some time earlier, I had gotten a copy of a James Carr record (off a recommendation from a friend) and loved his version of that song, a song new to me at the time. Having EC do it was a treat. True Love Ways was the song that my wife and I had picked out for our "wedding song" the prior year, and the surprise of having EC sing that night made the gig memorable.
Otis Westinghouse

Great accounts! Shame I misssed the tour. I was in Berlin at the time, and it wasn't on the itinerary!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:It led me to the B&C booklet and also to Complicated Shadows, and to a few questions/comments:

1. How many bootlegs are in circulation from the tour? Apart from the above, Dime has all three nights at the Warefield in SF (with someone commenting on the Confederates night that it was the best EC gig he'd ever seen), but can't see any more.
I've got quite a few. One that has eluded me is Sweden when Elvis played five songs as The Brave Brothers with Jackson Browne. Can anyone provide me with a copy?.

There were some fantastic shows on this tour.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:2. Is there any video footage?
I *think* I've got a video of the Liverpool Songbook show somewhere (the one with Andrew Schofield). I've certainly seen it. Unfortunately all my Elvis tapes/videos etc are (along with others) to quote, scattered in the attic. Now that the house is done there's no reason why I shouldn't sort these out. If my recollection is right, the video also contains one of the 1994 Royal Albert Hall shows.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:3. Thomson comments on it as a forerunner to Zooropa, and this seems very obvious to me. One bizarre connection from NY is Elvis announcing they'd go by live satellite link to Lou Reed in Tokyo, and then Steve playing a bit of Satellite of Love. U2 actually did have Lou up on the screen, though I guess recorded rather than by satellite. And didn'tthey perform satellite of Love?
U2 did the satellite link up. Elvis has sung with Lou Reed on a French TV programme.

Elvis used to joke about different people on his compering. He'd say things like they'd be linking up with Cilla Black or Jim Davidson.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:4. Did anyone here attend one or more of the gigs? I'm sure we've heard before, but I can't recall. If so, how was it?
I went to The Royalty Theatre. I remember on the first night there was a scuffle in the first few rows which Elvis sorted out. He played 6 nights there and as well as normal tickets you could buy a season ticket for three or six nights. I went to the first three. I wish I'd gone to all six. I missed Chris Difford and Nick Lowe on the second Songbook Show :(
Otis Westinghouse wrote:5. Is there a bootleg of Tom Waits at the Beverley Theater? Clearly the ideal MC.
I've got a copy of this one and Tom Waits is fantastic on it. Tom and Elvis sung together too. That was the show when Elvis did three songs with The Bangles.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:6. The gig sounds fantastically enjoyable. You get fewer songs per night than his norm, but the anticipation of what will be next is great.
Elvis realised that single spins were time consuming and did Double Spins or multiple spins to speed things up.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:7. Was this the first example of EC being a very vocal host? He's always cracked jokes, but this is the first time I can remember audience participation and extended gags.
I can't remember any other occasions in concert of Elvis letting his personality shine although he did so in the guise of Napoleon Dynamite.

I loved this tour because it was so different.

After the main European tour in 1986 he returned to the Royal Albert Hall for 6 nights in January 1987 when he played with the Attractions and the Confederates. I only went to two Confederate shows but I understand that one of the Attractions shows was a Songbook show. My mate told me that lucky people were given a "I Spun The Spectacular Spinning Songbook" T shirt.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

At the Royalty in London, he played a different show each night, one with The Attrations, one with the Spinning Songbook, solo etc, but did not publicise what show was happening. I went on a solo night when he showed his "holiday snaps" on a projector! Some guy asked for his money back as he was disappointed The Attractions weren't playing. EC got a roadie to come on and give the guy £20!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I was at two nights in a row at the Liverpool Royal Court - went up from South Wales to stay at my Auntie's in Merseyside. I was 18 years old at the time, and they were my first Elvis gigs.

The tour was billed as being different shows each night, so my bro and I booked two nights, but as far as I remember each night had the Spinning Songbook - but I could be wrong. Hmmm.... I think the first night was half solo acoustic, half Attractions. Then perhaps it was the second night that had the Spinning Songbook. I can't remember.

The go-go cage was there and the telly with the parrot cage - and he did show us his slide show collection at one point - lots of extended, amusing chat - before doing Tokyo Storm Warning.

The solo set was great - I remember he did Green Shirt with just the acoustic guitar, and I embarrassed myself by singing out loud the Steve Nieve fadeout bit as he finished the song, and he referred to it.

Also remember at the start, before costello came on, chatting to some bloke and saying there was no-one to touch Costello in songwriting terms - "even Lennon" I remember saying, at which point the bloke took a sharp intake of breath as if to say "that's pushing it" (though I still hold this opinion!).

The material was great - after all, every song on B&C is a corker.

They did a great version of Knowing Me Knowing You from the songbook (always wish Elvis had done a studio verison of this as a b-side) and the Presley song was Marie's The Name of His Latest Flame.

Like the other fella, I remember the feedback/strobe light chaos climax of one of the gigs - Poor Napoleon, which I think merged into Lennon's Instant Karma. I remember Cait O'Riordan came on stage with a floppy fringe, and smoked a fag as she played bass.

Also just rememebered that the actor Andrew Scofield (?) who starred in Scully, came on stage to play guitar on one of the nights - think the songs he did with the boys were Wild Thing and Twist and Shout. And Alan Bleasdale (famous Brit TV writer for any Americans looking in) was in the royal box with his family.

That's about all I can remember - apart from that I think the pre-gig P.A. music was Town Called Big Nothing - but I could be wrong!
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:The go-go cage was there and the telly with the parrot cage - and he did show us his slide show collection at one point - lots of extended, amusing chat - before doing Tokyo Storm Warning.
And Elvis would stop the song at various points of Tokyo Storm Warning to explain the references in the song. Two favourites were when he had a Japanese God Jesus Robot and when he explained about wrapping fish and chips in newspapers so that you were fed and educated at the same time.
Neil. wrote:Also just rememebered that the actor Andrew Scofield (?) who starred in Scully, came on stage to play guitar on one of the nights - think the songs he did with the boys were Wild Thing and Twist and Shout.
He did 20 Flight Rock, Money and She's A Woman. I'll have to dig that video out!
Neil. wrote:That's about all I can remember - apart from that I think the pre-gig P.A. music was Town Called Big Nothing - but I could be wrong!
Nope - you're definitely right!

There were two nights in Liverpool. The first night was an Attractions night and the second was Elvis solo for the first part of the show and the Songbook for the second.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Good God, you've got a good memory! I guess you're right about Andrew Scholfield. God, have you got the show on video?!

And you're right - it was Attractions normal gig the first night, and solo then Songbook for the second. So do you remember me making a tit of myself at the end of Green Shirt?
Otis Westinghouse

Great recollections! very jealous of these memories of yours. Am hopeful for cleaned up boots of e.g. Tom Waits + Bangles to surface on Dime. Would love to hear him do His Latest Flame, which I first got to know via the Smiths' cover. Thomson says he played 125 songs on the tour. Remarkable! He also says the '87 RAH gigs were (so) lacklustre.
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:Good God, you've got a good memory! I guess you're right about Andrew Scholfield. God, have you got the show on video?!

And you're right - it was Attractions normal gig the first night, and solo then Songbook for the second. So do you remember me making a tit of myself at the end of Green Shirt?
Sorry to disappoint but I've recollected some of this with the help of John E's site. I'm almost certain I've got the Songbook show on video but I can't retrieve it at the moment. I'll specifically listen out for you at the end of Green Shirt - I've got the show on cassette too :lol:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Would love to hear him do His Latest Flame, which I first got to know via the Smiths' cover. Thomson says he played 125 songs on the tour. Remarkable! He also says the '87 RAH gigs were (so) lacklustre.
He played His Latest Flame quite a lot with the Attractions in 1986 and then with Nick Lowe on the Spike tour.

I remember reading in Melody Maker about Elvis doing 125 songs over the first three nights at the Royalty Theatre (which is now the Peacock Theatre). In different interviews I remember Elvis saying that he and the Attractions had over 250 songs they could call upon to play. They used to knock up cover versions in the soundcheck to alleviate boredom and then play them that night. In the old days they'd only play these for one or two nights.

The 1987 Royal Albert Hall shows were OK but not amongst the best although that was probably due to my ignorance of the music and the musicians. I only attended two Confederates shows although I was on the first row for one of them and remember Elvis looking at me strangely when I rested my coat on the stage. I've also got some excellent photos which I took with my Kodak Instamatic camera which Elvis actually posed for whilst playing. Elvis - you're my guitar hero... :lol:

The other show was when Van Morrison came out and did some songs with Elvis and I remember wondering why he had bothered.
Otis Westinghouse

Even so, Van and Elv on stage together, some spectacle! Was playing Van live at the Belfast Opera House live today (11984). Not a great one (e.g. compared to the awesome Too Late To Stop Now, and more plodding than A Night In San Francisco, but what a voice!).

Maybe Elv thought your coat was the nearest equivalent he was going to get to Tom Jones and the ladeez' knickers.

125 songs in three nights is impossible, even for Elvis!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:125 songs in three nights is impossible, even for Elvis!
if it was 125 different songs, maybe...
What this world needs is more silly men.
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:125 songs in three nights is impossible, even for Elvis!
It was probably 125 different songs over the 6 nights. Thinking about it it wouldn't have been a total of 125 songs over the first three nights.

The Songbook Shows were fantastic. Whilst Elvis resurrected the idea in part on the Spike tour - with the stuffed heart with the new 7 deadly sins - it didn't work as well as the Songbook.
tjg

Post by tjg »

Hello.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the songs that were on the Spinning Songbook? I've looked around but can't seem to find anything.
Thanks.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

*sigh* I always say, if I could go back in time, I'd go to a Spinning Songbook show. Unfortunately, I wasn't even thought of yet. But its great reading the recollections, even if it makes me green with envy.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Strict Time - just listen to old man Verbal's stories. He's been around for years and years and years. . . . . :lol:
verbal gymnastics

:lol: That comment made my day!

And to think, I only first shook his hand in 1999 and didn't speak to him until 2002. I've made up for it since though! In the past I'd heard so many stories about Elvis and Jake that it scared me to approach Elvis. In 1999 I remember going to the front of the Royal Albert Hall stage and shaking Elvis and Steve's hands and then...

...there I go rambling on again. :lol:
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:[ All very hazy now, but I remember the Olympia show ending with a strobe-y, psychedelic version of "Poor Napoleon".

I remember that finale from his Edinburgh Playhouse gig.Cait came on stage too and added vocals.He also mixed it up with Lennon's Instant Karma
I remember it getting louder and louder,the stage dark so you could make out a couple of shadowy figures and BRIGHT strobes flashing out to the audience.
One of the best ends to a gig I've ever seen
sulky lad

Spectacular singing songbook

Post by sulky lad »

I can see the next dime upload will have to be one of the UK shows.
i attended 2 of the first 6 Royalty shows, which were the solo show and the spinning songbook and the infamous chap asking for his money back after 3/4 of the solo show ( how come it took so long to work that one out). On my recording of that I've got a very loud Irishman shouting "Kick the f***er out" and it was back in the days when you thought maybe Jake and co would have done that very thing. I'm pretty sure I've got all the UK shows on minidisc so let me know which one is the priority and I'll upload it this weekend. incidentally don't rely on VG to find-anything in his attic, the video is probably buried under the afghan coat he left on the stage at the RAH in 1987 when he had long hair and a Mexican bandit moustache; also his attic is full of nappies :lol:
Here's my collection, sorry for the jumbled up pasting
01/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles C Aud 95 8 25 tracks
02/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles I SDK 6 6 2 tracks
02/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles C Aud 118 8 30 tracks,Confederates
03/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles I Aud 115 8 25 tracks,lacks first 1,Confederates
04/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles C SDK 50 6 13 tracks
04/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles C Aud 116 7 22 tracks
05/10/86 Beverley Theatre,Los Angeles C Aud 125 8 25 tracks
08/10/86 Warfield Theatre,San Francisco C Aud 127 7 25 tracks
09/10/86 Warfield Theatre,San Francisco C Aud 141 7 24 tracks
10/10/86 Warfield Theatre,San Francisco C Aud 132 7 26 tracks,Confederates
12/10/86 Radio Ad For Chicago Shows C FM 2 8 Radio advert
12/10/86 Riviera Theatre,Chicago C Aud 128 8 28 tracks,Confederates
13/10/86 Riviera Theatre,Chicago C Aud 131 8 24 tracks
14/10/86 Riviera Theatre,Chicago C Aud 116 7 25 tracks
16/10/86 Orpheum Theatre,Boston C Aud 125 7 26 tracks
17/10/86 Orpheum Theatre,Boston C Aud 162 7 33 tracks,Confederates
18/10/86 Orpheum Theatre,Boston C Aud 126 7 26 tracks
21/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York C Aud 94 8 21 tracks
22/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York I BEP 5 7 SOLO,1 track,Flexi disc, lacks 26
22/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York C Aud 131 7 27 tracks,Confederates
23/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York I CD 25 9 6 tracks,lacks 24,Confederates
23/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York C Aud 141 8 30 tracks,Confederates
23/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York I BEP 5 7 SOLO,1 track,Flexi disc,lacks 29
24/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York C Aud 156 8 25 tracks
25/10/86 Broadway Theatre,New York C Aud 114 8 23 tracks
27/10/86 Tower Theatre,Philadelphia C Aud 174 7 35 tracks,Confederates
28/10/86 Tower Theatre,Philadelphia C Aud 115 7 20 tracks
29/10/86 Tower Theatre,Philadelphia C Aud 136 8 27 tracks
01/11/86 One Of The Attractions C BLP 75 9 29 tracks,One Of The Attractions BLP
03/11/86 Konserthuset,Stockholm I Aud 88 7 18 tracks, lacks 4
10/11/86 Folies Bergere,Paris I Aud 126 7 SOLO, 27 tracks, lacks last 2
11/11/86 Muzickcentrum,Vr'burg,Utrecht C Aud 129 7 27 tracks
13/11/86 Muzickcentrum,Vr'burg,Utrecht C Aud 165 7 33 tracks
15/11/86 Teatro Cristallo,Milan C Aud 116 7 23 tracks
16/11/86 Teatro Cristallo,Milan C Aud 94 7 SOLO,23 tracks
17/11/86 Teatro Cristallo,Milan C Aud 105 8 21 tracks
23/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C BCD 120 9 24 tracks,This Is Tomorrow BCD
23/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C Aud 117 8 24 tracks
24/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C Aud 138 8 SOLO,32 tracks,also MASTER (inc) (6)
25/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C Aud 136 8 29 tracks,MASTER
27/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C Aud 113 8 26 tracks
28/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C Aud 132 8 SOLO,32 tracks
29/11/86 Royalty Theatre,London C Aud 162 8 33 tracks
01/12/86 Olympia,Dublin C Aud 125 8 26 tracks
02/12/86 Olympia,Dublin C Aud 132 8 SOLO,29 tracks
03/12/86 Olympia,Dublin C Aud 147 8 32 tracks
05/12/86 Playhouse,Edinburgh C Aud 100 8 23 tracks
06/12/86 Playhouse,Edinburgh C Aud 144 8 34 tracks
08/12/86 Royal Court,Liverpool C Aud 109 8 24 tracks
09/12/86 Royal Court,Liverpool C Aud 155 8 33 tracks

Also I'd be delighted if a copy turn up of the Swedish show and as for any rare 1980 UK shows !!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I vote for December 9 in Liverpool.

But really anything that hasn't already been posted would be welcome.
verbal gymnastics

I've got as copy of the 9th December show on video at home. Does anyone want to convert it from VHS PAL to DVD on the basis that they will freely distribute it to other board members?

I should warn you that it is not brilliant quality. I think the same video has a show of one of the Albert Hall 1994 Attraction shows on it as well.

PM me if you fancy doing this.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Spectacular singing songbook

sulky lad wrote:incidentally don't rely on VG to find-anything in his attic, the video is probably buried under the afghan coat he left on the stage at the RAH in 1987 when he had long hair and a Mexican bandit moustache
I've also got some brilliant pictures of EC on stage at the Albert Hall show on 26th January 1987 when I was in the front row. The pictures were taken with my Kodak Instamatic! Elvis didn't mind at all and posed for one of them!

I particularly remember putting my coat (it wasn't an Afghan I swear!) onto the stage at the show and getting a funny look from Elvis.

And there has only ever been one dodgy haircut (granted, it did last for 25 years :lol: ) and one particularly poor attempt at a moustache.

I seem to be reminiscing a lot about 1986/87 :?
ChrisdeB

Post by ChrisdeB »

I went to the Royalty Theatre London Spinning Songbook night on the 1986-11-29 . This wa a fabulous show one of my fav gigs of all time. Great covers including An American Girl. Also Nick Lowe and Elvis duetting on "Baby its Me. I spun the song book and got "Everyday I write the book"!!!