Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

John, you know all the best people!
Some great early Attractions shots plus EC with Nick Lowe on the website.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I suppose "having" to buy the R&RM collection for two songs isn't as bad as "having" to buy 11 albums for the fourth time (on CD anyway), so I'm trying to look at the bright side. I would be very surprised if EC did new notes for the albums, particularly if there are no bonus trax and they're strictly the US versions.

I was intrigued somewhat by the Billboard article, as that writer seems to continually get most of his info from this very forum! (Also did anyone notice the piece referred to all the albums "from MAIT through KOA", forgetting that B&C came out next?)
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

If Universal are going to put EC on digital stores then hopefully we can all buy the new tracks on their own and forget about the album.

Whither the ringtones?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

It seems like these reissues are for the younger kids... you know to introduce them to E.C. I know my niece is buying like a mad woman right now - vinyl, CDs, digital... She's exploring music and thank god for that! I'm sure there are loads of kids her age doing the same thing. That equals cashish for the labels.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Stewy wrote:These reissues were promoted in a manner likely to cause heart-attacks:
saying they would all include YET MORE bonus tracks and newly-compiled second discs.

That's what initial reports said.
No, they didn't. You can re-read the initial reports on the first page of this thread. They don't say anything at all about bonus tracks (let alone YET MORE bonus tracks) or newly-compiled second discs.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Stewy wrote:Yes, they did.

From the text you refer to :

Album plans include definitive reissues, box sets, live albums,
multiple CD sets,
compilations for the company's highly successful branded series
and rarities discs as well as limited editions
via the award-winning Hip-O Select imprint.
I think that both the multiple CD sets as well as the rarities discs are still in the pipeline.

(Multiple CD sets means that CD's are packed together and sold as such. For instance: http://www.amazon.com/Spike-Mighty-Like ... 8&sr=1-424

Rarities discs contain rare and unreleased material. For instance:
http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Liberties- ... 97&sr=1-94 )
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Multiple CD sets could mean anything with multiple-disc treatment... maybe something akin to The Rolling Stones' Singles Collection?

I think more than anything, the "definitive reissues" part implied that they would be more thorough than Rhino's.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

One could make an argument that a "definite reissue" could simply be the album as it was originally released, with no bonus material at all.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

BlueChair wrote:Multiple CD sets could mean anything with multiple-disc treatment... maybe something akin to The Rolling Stones' Singles Collection?

I think more than anything, the "definitive reissues" part implied that they would be more thorough than Rhino's.
I agree. There are now rumours of a "30th anniversary de luxe reissue" of MAIT. This could be the definitive reissue. And maybe we get the following years the '30th anniversary de luxe reissues' of the rest of these albums. Let's wait and see ...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

There are now rumours of a "30th anniversary de luxe reissue" of MAIT.
Elvis playing a show in London in July , the 30th Anniversary of MAIT's release, is a strong indication that he's probably going to mark it with a back-where-it-all-began type of campaign.
And No Coffee Table

Stewy wrote:Yes, they did.

From the text you refer to :

Album plans include definitive reissues, box sets, live albums,
multiple CD sets,
compilations for the company's highly successful branded series
and rarities discs as well as limited editions
via the award-winning Hip-O Select imprint.
Where's the part about "YET MORE bonus tracks and newly-compiled second discs"?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like iTunes is preparing itself for the new reissues:
(there is a new text and a new photo (which is the same as the new Best Of))

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... ?id=497911
And No Coffee Table

For what it's worth, CD Universe shows My Aim Is True, This Years Model, and Armed Forces as having the combined US/UK track listings.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=377911

In addition to the previously-announced Elvis Costello reissues from the early part of his career, his catalog is also on its way to digital formats as well. Costello's first 11 albums will be available on the iTunes Music Store exclusively for 30 days, beginning May 1. His songs will also be released as ringtones. Additionally, Universal is preparing a fall release of a 30th anniversary deluxe edition of Costello's debut album, My Aim Is True.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_ht ... _id=231807

"The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" and "Rock And Roll Music"
Digital Premiere for Costello's First 11 Original Albums; Elvis Costello and the Imposters Set for 10-Date U.S.Tour In May

SANTA MONICA, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- March 28, 2007 -- On May 1, Hip-O/Universal Music Enterprises will release "The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" and "Rock And Roll Music," a rock-themed collection of hits, key album tracks, b-sides and previously unreleased rarities.

May 1st will also see the digital premiere of Costello's first 11 original albums, marking the first time they will be available for digital downloads and mobile tones. These 11 original albums will be available for download exclusively on the iTunes Music Store (http://www.itunes.com) for 30 days before they are made available to all the online partners. The albums will also be released in their original versions as digipaks with booklets and obie sleeves.

Both of the 22-song collections were compiled by Costello and signal the start of the label's work with the musician's catalog, with a previously unreleased version of "Welcome to the Working Week" on "Rock and Roll Music" presaging the fall release of the 30th anniversary ("My Aim is True Deluxe Edition").
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

sweetest punch wrote:
His songs will also be released as ringtones. [/b]
OMG, I know it's unavoidable, and maybe I'm naive, but it sounds so un-EC to me.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
migdd

Post by migdd »

invisible Pole wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:
His songs will also be released as ringtones. [/b]
OMG, I know it's unavoidable, and maybe I'm naive, but it sounds so un-EC to me.
Yeah, probably.

I've never been bothered to download any ringtones; I'd rather spend that time doing something more worthwhile like, er. . .mowing the grass or maybe swimming in a toxic waste dump or bungee jumping without the cord. (I'm just not a cellphone tinkerer!) However, the opening bars of Watching The Detectives (before the vocal begins) would make a pretty cool ringtone. Maybe I can get my 11-year-old daughter to download it for me. She is much more multimedia techno-savvy than I would ever care to be!
funstan

Post by funstan »

Im a ringtone junkie, whenever my ex calls or texts I have "Episode of Blonde" "The Sharpest Thorn" is text messages, calls are divided between "Pump it Up" for friends, "A Certain Girl" for prospective girlfriends.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv -

Connor!
writes:
>I'm very curious to see what they could possibly have
>to add to MAIT to make it a deluxe edition. I'm assuming
>that they have something pretty damn good, or surely they
>wouldn't even bother with it.

Nunki responds -

Elvis may (or may not) have revealed his plans in 1998:

"I came very close to releasing an album and a half — or at least a
good album's worth — of material that came prior to My Aim Is True
last year. And then I thought better of it, these being a bunch of
tapes which I thought had been lost but came to light unexpectedly.
I'm in two minds as to the quality of it. Some of it is incredibly
precocious. I'm talking about stuff that goes right back to 1977 — and
even 1975 — so whether or not anyone would be interested in it, I
don't know. What I feel about it changes. I nearly released it, but
the time wasn't right. This has never been bootlegged as it has been
sitting in cupboards and not been seen by anybody until very, very
recently. Some of it goes right up to crossing over with stuff which
was released on my reissues. But some things which I noted as being
missing — like stuff recorded at the time of 'Watching The Detectives'
— has come to light too."

(from an interview with Simon Griggs, published in Beyond Belief
#18/19)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Well we certainly know there's unreleased material such as Blue Minute on the Unloved Songs bootleg. I would think Elvis has got tons of recorded stuff that hasn't been released yet. I bet there are a good half a dozen songs per album that haven't been released.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Been a long time since I visited this board, missed everyone!! Anyway, just found out about this batch of reissues, and if there are any new unreleased songs, I'm gonna steal them frmo Oink. I love EC, but any new tracks would be crass.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

Consider the impending iTunes deployment...

I wonder if they'll do a "Complete Bob Dylan" or "Complete U2" stunt--sell a package deal that includes a couple of albums or so of unreleased material and/or rarities bundled with the regular albums.

And yes, I'd love to see a high quality release of the Flip City demos AND the Wendy James demos AND etc.!
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.myspace.com/elviscostello
(the obie sleeves look like this:)

The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I like that the obis have thumbnails of alternate album covers!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

From billboard.com:

Costello Revisits Back Catalog With Reissues
April 17, 2007, 10:20 AM ET
Gary Graff, Detroit

This year's model of Elvis Costello is shaping up to be one that sounds very familiar to his fans. With the 30th anniversary of his first album, 1977's "My Aim Is True," looming, Costello is filling the year with archival projects.

On May 1 he releases two new compilations -- "The Best Of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" and "Rock and Roll Music" -- and his first 11 albums. Those titles will also be released digitally -- exclusively via the iTunes Music Store for 30 days before becoming available at other digital music retailers.

A 30th anniversary deluxe edition of "My Aim Is True" will also be released this fall with bonus material such as demos, alternate versions, and live tracks.

"It wasn't really my initiative," Costello tells Billboard.com, crediting the Universal Music Group with the catalog projects. He did, however, fully participate in the endeavors.

"It doesn't require a huge amount of soul-searching to do it," Costello notes. "You're trying to make a program that might interest people who've never heard you before. It's another way to present it that's neither superior or inferior; it's just different."

Costello, who's done similar reissue campaigns with other labels, adds, "There's no compulsion to buy these records. If they interest you, you'll buy them. The fact that they're going to be available (digitally) makes people's ability to buy them in excerpts easier, because people tend to do that these days when they're online -- if they haven't stolen them already."

The "Rock and Roll Music" collection will include some rarities, including an alternate take of "Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind," live versions of "You Belong to Me" and "Mystery Dance," and a demo of "Welcome to the Working Week" which will also be part of the "My Aim Is True: Deluxe Edition.â€