Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://boringnamebetterart.blogspot.com ... david.html

Art Director Nancy Butkus invited me to illustrate the NY Observer’s “New Yorkeratorâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The essential review :' pulsating to a punky, poppy beat ' indeed!

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/fashio ... s_fas.html

(extract)

Elvis LIVES!!!: FashionTribes Lifestylist Reviews May 1st CD Release!

I love Elvis. Costello that is. The ultimate nerd boy doing his stylistic take-off on Buddy Holly -- suits and skinny ties, horned rimmed glasses and plenty of punk attitude. Hyper-literate songs with well-crafted, witty lyrics pulsating to a punky, poppy beat.

In a world where pre-fab pop tarts sing repetitive and shallow "oh baby baby" lyrics, Costello is a welcome change.

"Oh, I said "I'm so happy I could die."
She said "Drop dead," then left with another guy.
That's what you get if you go chasing after vengeance.
Ever since you got me punctured this has been my sentence."
- (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes

22 songs are featured on The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years including Red Shoes, Alison ("I don't know if you were loving somebody, I only know it isn't mine..."), Watching the Detectives, Pump it Up, Oliver's Army and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding. Rock and Roll Music also features 22 songs--some of them duplications from The First 10 Years, but mostly additional hits such as Miracle Man, Girls Talk and the demo version of Welcome to the Working Week. The collection is notably missing one of my all time favorite songs, (You're Not) The Only Flame in Town, but otherwise should make die-hard Elvis fans (Costello, that is) very happy.

While this may not be a comprehensive collection of Elvis Costello's work, as the man would say himself:

"Even in a perfect world where everyone was equal, I'd still own the film rights and be working on the sequel." - Everyday I Write the Book

Rock on, Elvis--rock on!!!

Stella Louise
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/155913 ... e_yo.jhtml

Elvis Costello returns to Billboard's top 200 at #110, with his retrospective, The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years, selling 7,200 units.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Hardly impressive. :(
Seems like gone are the days when his 2-CD Best Of reached Top 10 (in UK).
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/revi ... 10-years1/

Elvis Costello
by Zeth Lundy

Two compilations, released along with a brand new reissue campaign, highlight both familiar and lesser-known tracks from Costello's Columbia years.

Universal Music Enterprises acquired Elvis Costello’s first 11 albums last year (all were originally released on Columbia Records from 1977-1986), and the music conglomerate’s first order of business for 2007 is to reissue the back catalog. Again. This is the third time that these albums have been reissued on CD since 1993, following extensive campaigns by Rykodisc and Rhino. Universal’s reissues are not just redundant, they’re also somewhat surprising—it seemed that Rhino, with its deluxe two-disc editions featuring in-depth liner notes by Costello himself, was to have the final, comprehensive word on the era, at least for the foreseeable future. (Fidelity pundits can argue over which incarnation delivers the best sound, though it’s probably worth noting that Roger Bechirian, who engineered the album’s original sessions, remastered the Ryko editions.) It’s safe to say that these 11 albums, regardless of their copious virtues, are some of the most needlessly reintroduced titles into contemporary circulation.

In order to pique the interest of a new audience discovering Costello for the first time, two new compilations are also hitting shelves alongside the fresh reissues. The first, The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years, has a familiar name; it is the fifth best-of compilation to cover Costello’s Columbia tenure, and its tracklisting is very similar to both 1985’s The Best of Elvis Costello & the Attractions and 1994’s The Very Best of Elvis Costello & the Attractions. It’s a standard, predictable best-of collection, instinctually favoring the acclaimed first three albums at the expense of more complex, underrated efforts (the phenomenal Get Happy!!, for example, is represented by a meager two tracks, one of which, “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Downâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here are two affordable samplers of Elvis in his prime, before his inspiration left the building in the mid-'80s.
Mind boggling.

http://newsok.com/article/3055265

The Oklahoman

Fri May 18, 2007

Elvis Costello 'The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years'/'Rock and Roll Music'

(Hip-O Records)

He looked like Buddy Holly's angry twin brother and had the audacity to borrow half of his stage name from the King of Rock 'n' Roll, but former computer programmer Declan Patrick McManus had the talent to back up his cocky pose when he burst upon the British punk scene in 1977 with a more literate and tuneful form of musical rebellion than most of his contemporaries were churning out.

Evidence of his cynical-to-sensitive singing and songwriting brilliance is abundant on two new 22-song collections from Hip-O Records, "The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Yearsâ€
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Well....it's not his fault he's an ignorant tosser. Is it?
Last edited by oldhamer on Wed May 23, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

oldhamer wrote:Well....it's not he's fault he's an ignorant tosser. Is it?
You should make sure your comments are grammatically correct before saying things like that :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Don't see what the problem is now :oops: :lol:

And anyway, it's not my fault I'm an ignorant tosser. Is it? :wink:
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
verbal gymnastics

Blame society. :lol: That's what I've done for the last 40 odd years.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNew ... 9920070526

Costello delves into vaults for Universal reissues
Fri May 25, 2007

By Gary Graff

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Elvis Costello fans can't complain about "No Action" when it comes to his catalog.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, who is celebrating his 30th anniversary as a recording artist, last year struck a deal with Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) for what label president Bruce Resnikoff calls "a multipronged, multiyear, multifaceted series" of reissues and special compilations, which are being undertaken with Costello's full cooperation and involvement.

It began with the May 1 release of "The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years" and "Rock and Roll Music," as well as the reissue of his first 11 albums in their original form -- and for the first time digitally -- with codes that allow buyers access to a wealth of Internet-based bonus material.

"What we're trying to create is the complete Elvis story over the next few years where people can effectively appreciate Elvis' different styles of music," Resnikoff said. "While we're trying to do things that will satisfy the traditionalists and the hard-core Elvis fan, a big part of our strategy is also to seduce music fans who have not traditionally been among that hard-core group."

ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Costello, who owns his recordings and licensed them to UMe, is not an artist who routinely delves into his past. "I know most of the records by now," he said, "so I don't listen to my own records very much." But he appreciates UMe's expansive and detailed plan for bringing his three decades of recordings to the marketplace.

"There's a number of different ways you can focus people's attention," Costello said, "particularly people who are listening for the first time. There's a lot of songs, a lot of records in a short period of time -- even if you just consider the 11 records that are being reissued now. That's quite a lot of material. So (UMe) offers a broader choice for the people who have maybe heard your name but find it a little intimidating, this big pile of music, and they don't really know where to start."

"The First 10 Years" and "Rock and Roll Music" -- the latter of which features rarities such as an alternate take of "Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind," live versions of "You Belong to Me" and "Mystery Dance," and a demo of "Welcome to the Working Week" -- are the first of several "thematic" compilations UMe plans to release in the program. Resnikoff said that other themes are still being decided upon, but they'll likely focus on musical directions as well as lyrical concepts.

INTO THE MINES

UMe also plans to release deluxe-edition packages of several Costello albums, starting with a 30th anniversary commemoration of his debut, "My Aim Is True," this fall. Costello said he and the label have just started "delving down into the Cornish tin mines where the tapes are held to find out what has been left under a rock" for that project. Resnikoff said that the company is thinking about a deluxe edition of 1978's "This Year's Model" in 2008, along with others at appropriate intervals. The vault-plundering could also result in some full-length live albums.

Costello has agreed to extensive catalog programs before, in the mid-'90s with Rykodisc and just a few years ago with Rhino. Those releases featured second discs and scores of bonus tracks, but Costello said the UMe program, focusing on his albums in their original form with bonus material housed online -- where it can change as additional recordings are discovered -- appeals to him more.

"I think it was possible for a number of years to buy every last note pertinent to each of the records in my catalog," Costello said. "Now it isn't going to be, and I think that's all right."

Resnikoff, meanwhile, said Costello's involvement in the process makes it likely that there will be no end to UMe's offerings. "When we made this deal, we mapped out a strategy based on what we already know with the caveat that as we discover things, that will expand," he said. "With Elvis going through things and discovering them with us, a lot of it is as fresh to him as it is to the consumer because he hasn't gone back and looked at it before. We call him the head of our marketing team here. He really has been an unbelievable asset, and you can't say that about every artist in this kind of process."

Reuters/Billboard
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ifmagazine.com/review.asp?article=1814

iFMagazine

Music
Reviews: ELVIS COSTELLO - 'THE BEST OF THE FIRST 10 YEARS/ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC'

Two new compilations from one of rock's most prolific songsmiths prove why he was always King

Grade: A-

By CARL CORTEZ, Contributing Editor
Published 5/30/2007

As one of rock’s most prolific and eclectic musicians, Elvis Costello never ceases to amaze in his sheer output and his constant musical metamorphosis.

Throughout the good and the bad (yes, he tried his hand at an opera but we won’t hold that against him), Costello aim has remained true – although he needs to put a moratorium on how many times he can reissue his first ten albums beginning with 1977’s MY AIM IS TRUE.

Rykodisc did a great re-release series in the ‘90s with tons of bonus tracks and the Rhino turned out impressive two-disc sets early this decade with a whole disc of unreleased material.

Now Hip-O Records has the contract and have released his first handful of albums without any frills (with a Deluxe Edition of his debut MY AIM IS TRUE due out later this year), but Costello has also blessed fans with two brand new compilations to kick off this series.

THE BEST OF ELVIS COSTELLO – THE FIRST TEN YEARS clocks in at a beefy 22-tracks and follows the chronological order of his best cuts which certainly flows better than previous out-of-order Best Ofs.

All the hits are here from the heartfelt "Alison," the creepy "Watching the Detectives" and the accusatory "Radio, Radio." The cover of Nick Lowe’s "(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding" sounds as kick-ass as it did the first time it came out on an album and despite being written by Lowe, Costello has made the song his own with his charging guitar and electric vocals.

While Costello was a pretty aggressive rocker in his earlier tracks, as the set moves along, his softer side rears its soft and squishy head – revealing that within those ten years he was maturing incredibly as an artist. The touching "Almost Blue" and the haunting "Shipbuilding" are perhaps two of his greatest achievements as a songwriter and the production on both tracks are top notch.

While The Police’s "Every Breath You Take" and "One" are some of pop’s creepiest pop songs (if you get past the pop-happy production behind it and really start to listen to the lyrics), Costello’s "I Want You" puts both of those to shame. Concluding this compilation set, "I Want You" is a jangly, disturbing, distortion-filled song about obsession taken to the nth degree. There’s no happy veneer here. You know where the narrator is coming from and you hope his affections aren’t directed toward you. Costello at his edgiest.

For the second compilation ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC, Costello gathers 22 of his most rockin’ tunes in one great disc.

While there are some crossover from the FIRST TEN YEARS, Costello (who put together the compilation himself) culls from many B-sides that have appeared on out-of-print compilations from the ‘80s like TAKING LIBERTIES and OUT OF OUR IDIOT. It’s ironic that songs like "Big Tears," "Clean Money" and "Girls Talk" were B-sides when they’re just as good as anything released on any of his albums at the time (another testament to the sheer brilliance and consistency of his output during this time).

While you get some of the big hits like "Miracle Man," "Pump it Up, and (again) "(What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding," there’s also some choice album cuts like "Lipstick Vogue" and "No Action." Costello even throws in a few live tracks like "Mystery Dance" and "You Belong to Me" and two previously unreleased alternate versions of "Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?" and "Welcome to the Working Week."

For some, Costello is an acquired taste, but if you’ve ever been curious and were scared or unsure of where to jump into his enormous catalog, you can’t go wrong with either release. When an overlooked song like "King Horse" gets your feet tapping at its sheer ferocious rock propulsion, it’s hard not to ignore that another "King" of rock and roll has been with us all along – we were just too afraid to give him that crown.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=14476&c=3

Elvis Costello

Rock & Roll Music, The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years - Hip-O/Universal

Filter Grade: 89%

by Colin Stutz | 05.31.2007

With the glasses to prove it, Elvis Costello is, perhaps without rival, a true visionary able to transcend genres lithely and to ever-stunning effect. Naturally the simultaneous release of two greatest hits compilations--Rock & Roll Music and The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years--lends itself to the notion of this being just another label ploy to make a quick buck. And while this may be true, these Universal discs (via Hip-O, ramping up for a re-re-reissue of the core Elvis catalogue) smartly exhibit the paradox that is Elvis Costello: half angry young man, half experimentalist.

On Rock & Roll Music we catch a 22-song glimpse at what Costello was probably supposed to be: a new wave, pub-rock pioneer with a knack for pop hooks. Here he is, staunch, arrogant and brash, the collection unsurprisingly pulling heavily from Costello's rambunctious early years. Needless to say, the big'ns are all here--"No Action," "Mystery Dance," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding"--but thankfully, so are some ballsy B-sides including "Clean Money" and "Wednesday Week." Noticeably absent: the song that got Costello banned from Saturday Night Live for 10 years--"Radio, Radio."

With The Best of... we get to see just what became of the man who couldn't sit still. The disc leads us through a chronology of what were Costello's most fruitful and prolific years. Heck, of the 12 records the man released during this decade, 10 were nearly flawless classics. From My Aim is True to Blood & Chocolate, Costello's signature wordplay remains one of his only true consistencies as he persistently reinvents himself. Nailing pop-savvy new wave ("Red Shoes"), Motown and Stax soul groove ("High Fidelity"), straight country (George Jones' "Good Year for the Roses"), and the darkly baroque ("Almost Blue"), The Best of... meticulously highlights Costello's true, progressive nature.

Sure he's two-faced, but the boy's crafty.
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNew ... 9920070526

"I think it was possible for a number of years to buy every last note pertinent to each of the records in my catalog," Costello said. "Now it isn't going to be, and I think that's all right."
Looks like those reissues are gonna keep coming.
John

Post by John »

Just noticed that the 2 compilations are available for download from Napster today - no sign of the rest yet.
PARTY GIRL

Post by PARTY GIRL »

Saw that itunes (UK) had the 2 albums on today. Don't think I'll waste my money downloading them though - wont even get the proper art work!!!
:(
maybe someday we can go hiding from this world
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

iTunes has a free "The Best Of The First Ten Years" podcast:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =257750282
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Was looking at these re-issues in the store today and I must say theyve done a very nice job with artwork - they all have the original album artwork , even down to the titles on the back, they look very nice, and Ive never seen so many EC titles on the shelves.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The compilations have received considerate and thoughtful reviews in some U.K. rock monthlies.

Mojo, August '07

Elvis Costello

Rock And Roll Music

Tunes with a beat, a snarl and a debt to Dylan

So statesmanlike is Elvis Costello today that to hear again the songs that made his reputation is to be flattened by the shock of the old. He looked like Buddy Holly but Elvis and the Attractions spat sulphate and brimstone like Dylan and The Band on stage in 1966,a roar of coldly controlled fury with a death’s-head grin. And did Dylan ever dazzle with such verbal detail highlighting deep shadow as did Costello on Tokyo Storm Warning or (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea? Compiled by the man himself from his first decade, this is a far more enlightening package than its companion release Best Of. Chosen for both albums is the song that repudiates much of the thrilling menace and acrimony of its fellow selections. Costello did not write (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding, but he sang Nick Lowe’s wry little number as if it were Beethoven’s Ninth, and finds that greatness that comes when clever men confess their own common humanity.

Mat Snow

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Word,
August '07

ELVIS COSTELLO

The Best Of The First Ten Years
UNIVERSAL

Rock And Roll Music
UNIVERSAL

Revenge and guilt: 1977-1986

Two routes through Costello’s first decade of molten creativity. The first is doggedly linear, presumably aimed at some mythical 14-year-old Death Cab For Cutie fan who’s just heard Pump It Up and decides he likes the cut of Elvis’s jib. The second is a more colourful and creative journey through the albums, dropping in on the likes of Lovers Walk and King Horse. Aside from two perfunctory ‘raritiesâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Q, Sept. 07

ImageImage
johnfoyle

Re: Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog

Post by johnfoyle »

http://tinyurl.com/38x6qs

Malaysia Star, Malaysia

March 3 2008

The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years

Artist: Elvis Costello

Genre: Rock
(Hip-O/Universal)

Reviewer: CHUA CHERN TOONG

The Elvis Costello of today hardly bears any resemblance to the Elvis Costello of yesteryear. When Costello started way back in the mid-70s, he was a virtual, virulent firebrand, spewing bitter yet witty diatribes at such diverse subjects as conservative politics, rampant racism, unrequited love and working-class tedium.

Songs like I Don’t Want to Go to Chelsea, Watching the Detectives and Accidents Will Happen were true standards of the day, passionate, prickly punk-pop creations that are cited time and again as some of the most literate and potent songs of the modern rock era.

As time went by, Costello began to incorporate a wider range of styles into his musical palette. Absorbing everything from twangy country, Brill Building pop and modern classical to bouncy reggae, lilting folk and fervent R&B, Costello also began collaborating with luminaries like Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, Roy Orbison and even opera diva Anne Sofie von Otter.

By 1998’s Painted from Memory, a joint venture with the venerable Bacharach, you could hardly recognise Costello as the punk upstart who denounced music-industry corporate vultures in the fiery Radio Radio.

To keep track of Costello’s ever changing artistic moods would be a truly intricate process, and this is where The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years comes in to save the day.

Spanning an extremely generous 22 tracks, this single-disc anthology covers the first half of Costello’s long and varied career from the furious, angry-young-man phase to the more mature but no less compromising middle stage.

This handy compilation should give the novice a good idea of the essential Costello standards, concentrating on the songs that turned him into a household name over the course of the late 70s and early 80s.

The initial period of the mid- to late 70s is widely mentioned as Costello’s most fertile cycle, containing strident numbers like the bold, confident What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding; the pure, buoyantly poppy Oliver’s Army (a pot shot at thoughtless Tory policies); the spare, mock-reggae melody Watching the Detectives (one of the most venomous tunes he has ever penned); and the deceptively pensive ballad Alison.

Other certified classics from this era include the clattering, energetic Pump It Up, the kaleidoscopic supper-club jingle Clubland, the heavy-going power ballad Man Out of Time and the shiny, Merseybeat-influenced Accidents Will Happen.

Costello slipped into the 80s with consummate ease, absorbing more stylistic changes but still keeping his unique artistry intact. Notable songs from this spell included here comprise the rueful, countryish Good Year for the Roses, the windswept anti-war epic Shipbuilding, the effervescent new-wave bauble Everyday I Write the Book, and the bitter, bile-filled ballad Almost Blue.

Also worth mentioning is the inventively layered, psychedelic Beyond Belief which sounds comparable to anything The Beatles put out in their Sergeant Pepper period.

As it stands, The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years, qualifies as one of the most wide-ranging Costello omnibuses out there, gathering the diverse chapters of the first half of his career and plonking them in one handy location for neophytes and devotees alike to enjoy.

While the sheer range of styles on display here might be too much to take in at one go, it is still gratifying to find so many Costello classics on display in one convenient set. Clearly intended to illustrate Costello’s stylistic scope, this should entice any greenhorn to pick up his original studio albums.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years is now only 3.00 GBP from Amazon UK.

Has anyone got it?
Does it have a nice booklet?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This photo by Roberta Bayley , new to me, is from the same time as the photo used for Elvis's compilation Rock And Roll Music ( 2007).

http://www.cbgb.com/index.php?page=news&n_id=329

The photo used on the cover

johnfoyle

Re: Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Post by johnfoyle »

The two compilations that came out in 2007 featured links to extras that could be heard or seen online.

Does anyone remember the content?
And No Coffee Table

Re: Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:The two compilations that came out in 2007 featured links to extras that could be heard or seen online.

Does anyone remember the content?
https://web.archive.org/web/20070712220 ... ateway.php

•Exclusive podcast ROCKLINE INTERVIEW WITH ELVIS COSTELLO AND BOB COBURN FROM 1982
•Elvis Costello Wallpaper and AIM Icon Downloads

(So not too exciting.)