Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
nobodygirl

Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Post by nobodygirl »

Plans Include Reissues, Deluxe Editions, Compilations, Box Sets and More

SANTA MONICA, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- August 02, 2006 -- Universal Music Enterprises (UMe), the U.S. catalog and special markets entity for Universal Music Group, the world's largest music company and market share leader, has reached an agreement to acquire the first 11 original albums (1977-1986) in the catalog of Elvis Costello, one of the most influential, acclaimed and enduring artists of modern rock. With this acquisition added to his musical output of the last 15 years (Decca/Deutsche Grammophon, Lost Highway, Mercury, Island, Verve Forecast), UMe now brings the bulk of Elvis Costello's career under one roof. The deal announced today by Bruce Resnikoff, President, UMe, marks another major coup for the company that has won a reputation for its aggressive, innovative, artist-friendly and highly successful marketing of catalog repertoire. UMe has earned unprecedented sales for core merchandising and marketing brands that it has established over the past several years. Consumers have come to trust and anticipate these brands which have resulted in UMe's multiple platinum and gold single-artist compilations and as well as winning Grammy Awards for new recording projects such as "BB King & Friends -- 80" and "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown."

Said Resnikoff: "Bringing artists of the caliber of Elvis Costello on board is the kind of strategic marketing initiative that is crucial to maintaining and even elevating our high standards. Besides reaching his core fans, we expect to be able to bring his music to a new generation, to a new consumer audience."

Said Costello: "There have been so many great new artists and bands in the last few years that have been inspired by the sound and attitude we had back then, I thought this was a good time to re-introduce these albums. On top of that, it's great to be able to do this through a company that has not only enjoyed major success with reissues but has done them with a genuine emphasis on quality."

The Costello albums acquired begin with 1977's landmark "My Aim Is True" and continue through "This Year's Model" (1978), "Armed Forces" (1979), "Get Happy!!" (1980), "Almost Blue" (1981), "Trust" (1981), "Imperial Bedroom" (1982), "Punch The Clock" (1983), "Goodbye Cruel World" (1984), "King Of America" (1986) and "Blood And Chocolate" (1986). From the punk/new wave classics "Alison" and "Watching The Detectives," the soul-inspired "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?" and rockers "Pump It Up" and "Accidents Will Happen" to one of Costello's biggest charters, "Everyday I Write The Book," the albums bring together Costello's most popular work, originally issued on Columbia Records.

The comprehensive UMe marketing program for the catalog is intended to drive awareness of Costello's music and maximize physical and digital sales. Album plans include definitive reissues, box sets, live albums, multiple CD sets, compilations for the company's highly successful branded series and rarities discs as well as limited editions via the award-winning Hip-O Select imprint. DVD collections of music videos and concert/TV performances are also anticipated. Leading the industry in online marketing with a dedicated department that manages its digital and mobile business, UMe also expects to mine Costello's catalog for ringtones, digital box sets, and more.

"Because of our size and position in the marketplace, and our reach at retail and with various media platforms, UMe has a capability no other company can match," said Resnikoff. "Artists come to UMe because we can deliver their music to more consumers than anyone else. But we also have a passion for the music and that is what truly attracts artists of the quality of Elvis Costello."

Elvis Costello recently completed a tour with Allen Toussaint on which they performed material from their new critically acclaimed release "The River in Reverse" (Verve Forecast).

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_ht ... _id=149784
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

nobodygirl wrote:Album plans include definitive reissues, box sets, live albums, multiple CD sets, compilations for the company's highly successful branded series and rarities discs as well as limited editions via the award-winning Hip-O Select imprint.
I like the "live albums" bit, but I don't see how the reissues could get any more definitive than the Rhino 2CD sets. I can't see anyone but the most hardcore of hardcore EC fans investing in another set of reissues.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

No kidding... to reissue the albums again that quickly would be extremely silly.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

He's got to be having a laugh!!! Is there anything else left to reissue? That said, the idea of the Eurosolo '84 shows on live CDs would be great. Elvis is fantastic with just an acoustic gee-tar.

Also, if Universal do something to get young people aware of This Year's Model, Trust, Blood & Chocolate, that'd be a good thing!

Neil
-x-
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I really hope they're joking about the reissue bit.I've bought these cd's/albums like 9 times. I just don't know what kind of studio rarities could be left.The live stuff is another kettle of fish. Please ,please,please,leave my wallet alone.
migdd

Post by migdd »

ka - chingggggg!!! :lol:

My days of being an Elvis completist were over a long time ago and I doubt I will part with any more vacation dollars for another set of re-issues.

However, the live material sounds intriguing and a promotional campaign aimed at a potentially younger audience would pave the road for Elvis to continue recording new material.

I'm a little leary that a focus on the Columbia Years, if successful, would influence Elvis to record an album aimed more towards that earlier "sound". Not sure if that would be a good thing or not!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Sadly, it seems that Universal hasn't aquired the Warner albums (Spike, MLAR, TJL, BY, KV and ATUB).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

sweetest punch wrote:Sadly, it seems that Universal hasn't aquired the Warner albums (Spike, MLAR, TJL, BY, KV and ATUB).
Right, so there WILL be the anniversary of MAIT but probably with the reissue and another incomplete compilation. Damn.

I hope the new reissues will be classy reproductions of the originals with no bonus tracks except the UK/US differences on the first three albums. Cheap ones.

But I fear that they'll be released with a bonus live disc each from the relevant period(s).

My biggest fear, though, is that they'll release something like Tom Petty's Playback box: 6 cd's where 3 are "the best of", 1 is b-sides (Ten Bloody Marys & Our Idiot stuff), 1 is rarities (outtake highlights from the Rhino reissues) and only the last cd consists of previously unreleased material.
What this world needs is more silly men.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

'digital sales' are the most important words in this news item. I'm sure everythnig will be available in high quality sound files, like FLAC. So those of us who've bought multiple versions over the years can easily download the 'new' stuff. It's the way of the future and it's good to see Elvis seems to taking such a positive attitude towards it all. It certainly provides a practical and inexpensive means to make all those hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of live recordings he must have amassed over the years. Great news, BRING IT ON!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Tracks available digitally=good. But the concept of the re-re-reissue makes me think EC has been reading this board and our snotty comments about said concept, and decided to gouge us again.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

wardo68 wrote:But the concept of the re-re-reissue makes me think EC has been reading this board and our snotty comments about said concept, and decided to gouge us again.
I'm not prepared to make any conclusions at this point. There isn't nearly enough detail in the press release.
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

I don't know if I should be excited for getting even more OR cry for buying the early catalog-again--for a third time... I'll let you know when the jury returns...

All I know is if it means getting clean, kick-butt Flip City demos...then that may be interesting...
Last edited by The Walrus on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

I don't see how they can make them any more "definitive" than the Rhino ones. I could see having room for maybe a bit more bonus tracks where time allows. This kind of sucks, considering Elvis doesn't seem like the type to keep pushing for more money from his fans.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Never sell your soul to the wankers at the top...

I am disappointed. I just read the headline and shook my head. As an artist - being popular or unpopular - the only thing you need to know is to never sell your digital rights to any major label.. When you do that you are accepting the standard distribution procedure... The digital revolution is about cutting these wankers out of the picture.

... I need to read the full press release before I comment any further... but never - EVER - give up your digital rights!

I bummed that Universal has their dirty hands on this music... it's a sad day for the future of digital music.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

King Hoarse wrote:Right, so there WILL be the anniversary of MAIT but probably with the reissue and another incomplete compilation. Damn.
Let's face it - we all know there is plenty of material left in Elvis' vaults. From memory didn't elvis say there was a version of No Action that had been lost? What's the odds on that version being "miraculously" found? We know of other songs such as I Hear A Melody etc from the Unloved Songs bootleg. My guess is there are hundreds more.

As far as definitive versions go, it won't happen! There will always be something to try and lure money out of you.

The live stuff sounds interesting though.

I will eat my proverbial hat if Universal reissue the CDs with extra tracks but make a box set of solely the new material.

I much prefer popeofpop's take on all this and urge you to read this thread

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=5604
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

This is from Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1002949316

Universal Acquires First 11 Costello Albums

Universal Music Enterprises has acquired 11 albums from Elvis Costello's early catalog, with plans to re-release the artist's material via reissues, deluxe editions, compilations and box sets.

The albums acquired begin with Costello's 1977 debut, "My Aim Is True," and continue through "This Year's Model" (1978), "Armed Forces" (1979), "Get Happy!!" (1980), "Almost Blue" (1981), "Trust" (1981), "Imperial Bedroom" (1982), "Punch the Clock" (1983), "Goodbye Cruel World" (1986), "King of America" (1986) and "Blood and Chocolate" (1986).

Although these albums have already been reissued in expanded form by Rykodisc as well as Rhino, UME promises its new versions will be the "definitive reissues." The company also plans to produce limited edition releases for its Hip-O Select imprint, DVDs of videos and concerts and usher Costello's music into new formats such as ringtones.

"A Pekingese in a tuxedo could sell you 'My Aim Is True,' you know," Costello told Billboard in May 2001, when the Rhino reissue campaign launched. "When you've got a record that maybe didn't reach its audience in its time, you have to use a bit of imagination in the way that you present it, to make it seem as if it might be worth investigating now."

Costello just wrapped a tour with Allen Toussaint in support of their collaborative Verve Forecast album, "The River in Reverse." He will also be heard singing "Little Boxes," the theme song for the Showtime series "Weeds," on its Aug. 14 season premiere. The track will be sung by a different artist during each episode, including Englebert Humperdinck, Death Cab For Cutie, Ozomatli and Regina Spektor.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Brian_Wallace

Post by Brian_Wallace »

Ok. Let's have a pool regarding when the FOURTH reissue series will begin.

I'm thinking August 2008. Each one a seven-disc affair which will be the DEFINITIVE definitive versions. It will contain demos of demos...and "Party, Party."

Seriously, I never got all of the RYKO reissues. Well, I don't have the limited edition "Blood & Chocolate" with the interview disc. And I think I'm missing three of the Rhino ones. Whatever happened to the Rhino "Taking Liberties" disc anyhow?

If they are reasonably priced I can see most Elvis Costello fans purchasing these. But when you think about it, considering when EC started, most fans will (after this) have five versions of some of his albums. 1. Vinyl or tape. 2. CD 3. Ryko CD reissue 4. Rhino CD reissue 5. Universal CD reissue.

I just didn't think Elvis Costello was the kind of person who would allow this.

Brian
And No Coffee Table

I'm not convinced that the reissues of the main 11 albums are even going to be aimed at those who already bought the Rhino CDs. For all we know these could be straight reissues of the Rhino CDs or scaled back versions of some sort (without bonus tracks?).

A lot of people seem to be assuming that the plan is to add new material to the main albums, but there is absolutely no mention of that in the press release.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

And No Coffee Table wrote: A lot of people seem to be assuming that the plan is to add new material to the main albums, but there is absolutely no mention of that in the press release.
Except for the word "definitive," that is
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
And No Coffee Table

BlueChair wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote: A lot of people seem to be assuming that the plan is to add new material to the main albums, but there is absolutely no mention of that in the press release.
Except for the word "definitive," that is
I don't think it's at all safe to assume that "definitive" means adding new material to the main albums. Straight reissues of the Rhino CDs could be described as "definitive." Reissues without bonus tracks packaged as exact replicas of the original LPs could be described as "definitive."

Also, the press release mentions the 11 albums and it mentions "definitive reissues," but it doesn't actually say all 11 albums will be given "definitive reissues."
migdd

Post by migdd »

To me, the definitive versions of all of the Columbia albums were the ones that hit the streets upon ititial release. Bonus tracks do not make an album "definitive" and, in some cases, they can dilute or diminish the power of the recording.

For my 2 cents, Universal should release the original (American or British?) versions untouched at a decent price to entice new listeners and compile the bonus material or live stuff under separate cover for the long-time fans.

However, although this may seem like a great plan from a fan perspective, it may not necessarily be the best way to sell CD units! :wink:
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

migdd wrote:To me, the definitive versions of all of the Columbia albums were the ones that hit the streets upon ititial release. Bonus tracks do not make an album "definitive" and, in some cases, they can dilute or diminish the power of the recording.

For my 2 cents, Universal should release the original (American or British?) versions untouched at a decent price to entice new listeners and compile the bonus material or live stuff under separate cover for the long-time fans.

However, although this may seem like a great plan from a fan perspective, it may not necessarily be the best way to sell CD units! :wink:
The original album is left alone on the Rhino reissues. Adding a disc of bonus tracks doesn't make the first disc any less enjoyable... I find quite the opposite is true.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Adam2 wrote:The original album is left alone on the Rhino reissues. Adding a disc of bonus tracks doesn't make the first disc any less enjoyable... I find quite the opposite is true.
Indeed. And sonically, the Columbia CDs were very muddled. The Rhino discs were a vast improvement.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

I agree totally that the reissues were a great improvement, sonically over the original Columbia CDs - can't argue with that. I was really refering to the song selection, not the sound quality when calling out the original releases as being "definitive".

Also agree that the Rhino reissues got it right by placing the bonus tracks on a separate disc.

Still feel that the bonus material should have a showcase of it's own going forward. This would free up the live and bonus stuff from having to be tagged to a particular album or the time constraints of being on a particular disc. What if there was 3 hours of potential live/bonus material from the TYM era that could potentially be released but wouldn't fit on a single bonus disc to accompany the album proper? I just think it would be more interesting to mix it up a bit and break away from the formats used by Ryko and Rhino.

But who knows what will eventually come to pass. . .
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I just don't see what else there is that could make this collection any more desirable than the last two.

Including vinyl, I've purchased the man's catalog 4 times over. Enough.

If there's new material that's been uncovered, release it separately.
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"