johnfoyle

Elvis writes note Paul Simon album sleeve, 2011

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... 977b32&p=2

Clouds part for Paul Simon tribute

MARK LEPAGE and JOHN GRIFFIN
The Gazette

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Singing the praises of a musical legend: Even clear weather made a guest appearance last night as musicians and thousands of fans packed the Place des Arts esplanade to honour Paul Simon at the jazz festival's tribute concert. Among the performers were Colin James, Holly Cole and Elvis Costello.

"Hello, darkness, my old friend," came the sonorous voice of Leonard Cohen over the heads of the Ste. Catherine St. masses.

And hello, miraculously clear night sky, and tens of thousands of friends old and young. The masses turned their collars to the damp, and the Tribute to Paul Simon concert was on.

The fury of yesterday's late-afternoon deluge had turned everyone associated with the Festival into a meteorological oddsmaker. Or a worrier.

Or a prayer.

The Ste. Catherine /PdA esplanade site had become an impromptu Umbrella City as the 9:30 showtime approached, with faces popping out from under and peering up anxiously at the skies.

But as Cohen's recorded tribute-reading of The Sound of Silence spoke for the communion between troubadour-statesmen, the festival's world-class run of luck held.

Whatever voodoo bones, juju or gris-gris event programmer Andre Menard has under his

jazzfest laminates, the gods smiled on him and his monumentally ambitious mid-festival blowout.

As Colin James emerged onstage to kick off the live music, the only thunder was in the resounding drums of The Obvious Child. Which was fitting, since the weather had gotten too much press. Fans had gathered not to prognosticate but to celebrate the pervasive legacy, and cross-generational appeal of Paul Simon. From Bookends through his pilgrimages to ends of the earth, he's been a representative of civilization in songwriting. More than a dozen performers from as many pop disciplines had literally come to sing his praises.

And the feeling in the crowd? They loved him like a rock.

Mannie and Sharna Young are Montrealers from N.D.G. "We're Paul Simon lovers," they said before the show.

"And the artists who are playing tonight are fabulous. We're from the era, we had every one of their albums. And still do. There was no doubt over coming. We're not afraid of the rain. We've got umbrellas."

Sahar Ghoshab is 17 years old. "I learned about Paul Simon from friends and parents of that generation and hearing it played in the house. I love the jazzfest in general, but was really attracted to this show."

And, it must be admitted, to Sam Roberts. "He brings a younger feel to the event." Weather? "Nothing could stop me. Montreal is the place to be in summer."

Beth Cumming is from Rawdon. "I wanted to bring my two daughters to the jazzfest," she said, riding herd on Madison, 10, and Mackenzie, 5. "They're country girls. I'm a city girl. I wanted them to see what their mother used to do.

"We pretty much came into town with this show in mind. It's free, it's Paul Simon songs, it's got Holly Cole and Bedouin Soundclash. Come on!"

James poured his energy into the irresistible Cecilia. He was succeeded by Holly Cole, seemingly born to sing Kodachrome.

Each successive performer in the kaleidoscope lineup fairly beamed to belt out a songbook seemingly encoded in our communal DNA.

Elvis Costello would declaim Peace Like A River and welcome "Monsieur Allen Toussaint" for American Tune.

Zachary Richard would Take Me to

the Mardi Gras and mock the weather with a Fat Tuesday umbrella.

Michel Rivard soared in America and a duet with Ariane Moffatt on The Boxer (and really, there should be an extra singer's chevron for the bravery in taking on the rampant melody of The Boxer).

Jim Cuddy? As clear of voice as the night sky had become. Kevin Parent, neo-saloon star Jamie Cullum with 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover.

Hometown rock 'n' roll hero Sam Roberts has been a Paul Simon fan for about as long as he's loved music. When he was asked to participate in the tribute show he said "Yes" before the question was out.

Earlier yesterday, he was hanging around the festival site, summer nut-brown, taut as steel cable and grinning like a kid behind his aviator shades.

"I'm used to playing with the same four scraggly guys all the time" he said, talking about his touring band.

"Now I'm playing with these, these, yeah, these session cats. That's what we call them. Session cats. Jazz cats (Dan Thouin and his band). Amazing."

It was. Why deny the obvious, child?

jgriffin@thegazette.canwest.com

50 ways to weave a cover

The Obvious Child - Colin James

Cecilia - Colin James

Mrs. Robinson - Holly Cole

Kodachrome - Holly Cole

Mother and Child Reunion - Bedouin Soundclash

Peace Like a River - Elvis Costello

American Tune - Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello

Take Me to the Mardi Gras - Zachary Richard

America - Michel Rivard

The Boxer - Michel Rivard

Hazy Shade of Winter - Ariane Moffatt

Still Crazy After all These Years - Jim Cuddy

Homeward Bound - Jim Cuddy and Kevin Parent

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Kevin Parent

50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Jamie Cullum

Loves Me Like a Rock - Jeri Brown and JB Pumped Singers of Montreal

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes - Jeri Brown

Late in the Evening - Sam Roberts

You Can Call Me Al - Sam Roberts

Bridge over Troubled Water - Zachary Richard

The Sound of Silence - Daniel Lanois

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace Like a River
Paul Simon

Ah, peace like a river ran through the city
Long past the midnight curfew
We sat starry-eyed
Ooh, oh,we were satisfied
O-o-oh, And I remember
Misinformation followed us like a plague
Nobody knew from time to time
If the plans were changed
Oh, oh, oh, if the plans were changed.

You can beat us with wires
You can beat us with chains
You can run out your rules
But you know you can't outrun the history train
I seen a glorious day, aiee------

Ah, four in the morning
I woke up from out of my dreams
Nowhere to go but back to sleep
But I'm reconciled
Oh, oh, oh, I'm going to be up for a while

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024 ... nce&n=5174

Paul Simon -
Paul Simon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Tune
Paul Simon

Many's the time I've been mistaken
And many times confused
Yes, and often felt forsaken
And certainly misused
But I'm all right, I'm all right
I'm just weary to my bones
Still, you don't expect to be
Bright and bon vivant
So far away from home, so far away from home

And I don't know a soul who's not been battered
I don't have a friend who feels at ease
I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
or driven to its knees
But it's all right, it's all right
We'be lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road
we're traveling on
I wonder what went wrong
I can't help it, I wonder what went wrong

And I dreamed I was dying
And I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
Smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying

We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age's most uncertain hour
and sing an American tune
But it's all right, it's all right
You can't be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day
And I'm trying to get some rest
That's all I'm trying to get some rest

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024 ... nce&n=5174

There Goes Rhymin' Simon
Paul Simon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://paul.simon.org/

Posted by Beeg

Le son de Simon

Decent tribute at the jazz festival. Enjoyable, but hit and miss. A setlist and some first impressions

( extract)

Elvis Costello
Peace Like A River. First live performance by anyone ever? Maybe. Nice rendition. No crazy guitar solo. Elvis is a great interpreter of songs. Nicely done.

Elvis brings out Allen Toussaint for...
American Tune. Nice. Good acoustic guitar from the band. Drums were too much.

Elvis leaves and Allen introduces Zachary Richard.
They nail Take Me To The Mardi Gras. Richard's falsetto is great. Nice extended coda from the better than average horn section.

For the finale, some of the JB Pumped singers, who had been on a line up a flight of stairs that formed the back of the stage, came forward and did a slow, foot-tapping version of Slip Slidin' Away. They must have sang it three or four times, allowing the band to take a much-deserved bow, followed by all the performers (or most; I don't think I saw Elvis Costello). Lovely performance.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Nice show, though I've seen the FIJM do better. EC's bit was early in the set and I think he and Allen may have left right away b/c they weren't there for the final bows. I must say that Jimmy Cullum kid was awesome, and I enjoyed Holly Cole as well (she recorded Alison several years ago, didn't she?). The taped Leonard Cohen bit was just lame - he really could make an affort to show his face at home every now and then...

I still haven't figured out why the fest chose to do a tribute to Paul Simon of all people - he's not exactly 'jazz', plus he's never even played at the fest before. But then again, it's getting bloody hard to find actual jazz at this festival anyway. (Which is why the local jazz scene got fed up and started their own event, L'Off Festivald de Jazz, b/c they never get gigs at the FIJM.)

No sign of EC, AT, or their bands at the jam sessions, but Daniel Lanois was there last night, as was Scott Morin, the head honcho at Verve/ Universal Canada. (seen in that bottom pic at OP's B-Day party http://www.oscarpeterson.com/op/journal33.html)
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Drums on American Tune?! Why?

I could picture Allen doing an amazing, slow, soulful version of the Tune, just his vocal and piano...
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caribb/182850839/

At the International Jazz Festival Mainstage free outdoor concert in Montreal July 4th 2006. Lenard Cohenhad a prerecorded tribute to Paul Simon who was the focus of the concert. Along with this great set by Elvis Costello for Paul, Colin James performed as did Sam Roberts and Bedouin Soundclash plus several other well know jazz artists that escape me at this moment. Paul SImon himself is perfoming tonight July 5th at a sold out concert.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hellomagazine.com/canada/200 ... scostello/

Photos. Denis Alix
6 JULY 2006

ELVIS COSTELLO JAZZES UP MONTREAL WITH MUSICAL HOMAGE

Exchanging his trademark horn-rimmed glasses for tinted shades and a fedora, a dapper Elvis Costello took to the stage at the International Montreal Jazz Festival stage on Tuesday to honour music legend Paul Simon.

Fortunately the rain held off on the eve of July 4 as thousands of cheering jazz enthusiasts filled the streets of downtown Montreal for the open-air highlight of the week-long festival.

Joining the London-born singer in renditions of a medley of Paul Simon classics were fellow crooners Colin James, Holly Cole and Leonard Cohen. Fifty-one-year-old Elvis, who recently announced that he and his sultry Canadian wife Diana Krall are expecting a baby together, contributed a soulful version of Peace Like A River to the proceedings.

The singer's new blues-era look was unveiled the previous week in his adopted home town of Vancouver, where he kicked off his new Canadian tour with R&B counterpart Allen Toussaint. Also on hand in Montreal, Allen joined Elvis in honouring Graceland singer Paul with a lively duet.
King of Fools

Post by King of Fools »

My apologies if these have already been posted.

Peace Like a River:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZWgqEaE ... ostello%20

American Tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_0SctFI ... ostello%20
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos from the rehearsal -
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kenadi ... /my_photos

includes

You probably need a Yahoo account to access the link ; I transferred one to my Photobucket account as a sample
charliestumpy

PS tribute

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks very much for posting-linking the vids so I could grab PLAR.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

One of our employees spent the summer in Canada. He dutifully went into stalker mode. He didn't know the song Elvis did. He quite liked the song by Allen Toussaint. Daniel Lanois was the best thing about it, really wigging out, Sam Roberts was underwhelming.
Afterwards our man was joined in the queue at a nearby Dairy Queen by Toussaint. Elvis and his people made bit of an entrance. Elvis proceeded to take pictures of Allen with his phone. Much hilarity ensued. The staff had no clue who either Elvis or Allen were, customers asked Elvis for autographs. Purchases were take-out. Unfortunately our man neglected to note what was bought, Molson may have been to blame.
Last edited by martinfoyle on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Paul-Simo ... 584&sr=8-1

Zachary Richard et Allen Toussaint : Take me to the Mardi Gras
Ariane Moffatt : Hazy shade of winter
Kevin Parent : Me and Julio down by the schoolyard
Colin James : Cécilia
Holly Cole : Mrs. Robinson
Sam Roberts : You can call me Al
Jim Cuddy : Still crazy after all these years
Jamie Cullum : 50 ways to leave your lover
Michel Rivard et Ariane Moffatt : The boxer
Elvis Costello : Peace like a river
Allen Toussaint et Elvis Costello : American tune
Zachary Richard : Bridge over troubled water
Leonard Cohen : The sounds of silence (recite)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' vocal on Peace like a River is weak and raspy. This isn't surprising since , lately , his voice improves through a show, getting better as it warms up. A one-of performance , as this was , will , inevitably,suffer.American Tune by Allen is excellent , a charming performance of a great tune.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Paul Simon tribute, Montreal , July 4

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis in Paul Simon tribute, Montreal , July 4 '06

Post by And No Coffee Table »

CD Japan says Paul Simon's upcoming album So Beautiful Or So What "comes with liner notes written by Elvis Costello."
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Paul Simon tribute, Montreal , July 4 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elvis-cos ... 29716.html

Elvis Costello

Singer-songwriter

March 1, 2011 12:20 PM

On Paul Simon's So Beautiful or So What

How do the fingers of this thing entwine? Which foot falls first upon the trail?

Is it the word? Is it the music?

It generates few visible blisters, so may even be mistaken for an unearned reward.

As Fred Astaire once wisely sang, you have to "Let Yourself Go."

So how do you begin? When do you know when you've reached your destination? What do you cut and when do you run without painting over the picture?

A thing of beauty?

Who needs it?

But that's the very mystery and fascination of it.

The trick is, as I know it, is to care like hell and not give a damn at the same time or as more elegantly proposed here; So Beautiful Or So What.

I believe that this remarkable, thoughtful, often joyful record deserves to be recognized as among Paul Simon's very finest achievements.

It's a lot to add to what you've done when those songs are titles anyone could name but Paul's greatest songs will find worthy, easy company here.

This is a man in full possession of all his gifts looking at the comedy and beauty of life with clarity and the tenderness bought by time.

It seems no accident that three of the song titles contain the word, "love" and most of the others consider it in its many manifestations.

The record begins with a fragment of a sermon underpinning the promise of the song, "Getting Ready For Christmas Day."

Within it is the voice of the Rev. J.M. Gates, who waxed warnings of eternal punishment from his first hit homily, "Death's Black Train Is Coming" to his last caution in 1940, "Hitler and Hell."

These days it might court shallow mockery to sing so openly of our humanity, mortality and divinity but not with music to make these themes fly or words containing such wit, grace and humility.

The musical shapes and shades arrive from all over the world and back in time to illuminate the heartfelt intelligence of the writer.

Central to the picture is Paul's vivid singing and own beautiful guitar playing - which doesn't always get full measure in the shadow of his writing.

Throughout the record, I kept coming up against what I can only call, rock and roll surprises; not some orthodox formula but indelible, hypnotic guitar motifs and swinging, off-center rhythms tipping your expectations into a new kind of thrill.

Then there are the ballads...

In "Love and Hard Times," two-thirds of the Trinity arrive on earth only to disagree over who and what is worthy of salvation. This bold and, for any other songwriter, completely humbling piece of composition took my breath away on first hearing.

The opening statement is as lovely as anything Paul has written. I felt as if I was suddenly within the idyllic scene of natural beauty that it describes, only for it be leavened by the Lord's blue aside, "We'd better get going," as He departs the scene.

The song concludes with recognition that it is the reassuring touch of a lover that calms an uneasy but grateful heart near dawn. If love is discovery made in a moment, then it is still one for which we must give thanks.

Equally startling is the rushing, telescopic journey from creative to destructive explosion and the making and undoing of the world in "Love Is Eternal Sacred Light."

These wonderful songs refuse to despair, despite the evidence all around us. "So Beautiful Or So What" rejects the allure of fashionable darkness and the hypnosis of ignorance - better to contemplate and celebrate the endurance of the spirit and the persistence of love.

This post will also appear as liner notes for Paul Simon's forthcoming album So Beautiful or So What.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._Gates

"Death's Black Train Is Coming"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elzhb_LewJA

"Hitler and Hell."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3luGrVKy1Q
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis writes note Paul Simon album sleeve, 2011

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Folks may remember "Death's Black Train is Coming" as the selection that was played over the PA prior to EC's shows in 1991.

Dave
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

We look forward to receiving etc our am.uk ordered PS album in April.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' sleeve note is getting mentioned in a lot of the reviews of this.

Well intentioned as it is, a lot of the note reads like one of those Google translations from a non-English language.

For instance-

It's a lot to add to what you've done when those songs are titles anyone could name but Paul's greatest songs will find worthy, easy company here.

would read better as

Paul's greatest songs will find worthy, easy company here.Those songs are titles anyone could name.

Or am I missing out on something?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

John, you are right to point out some of the clumsy syntax it falls that way on my ear as well but the opening portion on the inner sleeve is quite poignant-

"How do the fingers of this thing entwine? Which foot falls first upon the trail?

It generates few visible blisters, so may even be mistaken for an unearned reward.

So how do you begin? When do you know when you've reached your destination? What do you cut and when do you run without painting over the picture?

A thing of beauty?

Who needs it?

The trick is, as I know it, is to care like hell and not give a damn at the same time or as more elegantly proposed here; So Beautiful Or So What."

-more importantly the album itself is a work of beauty- it is one of those rare occasions where an artist is blessed with the holy trinity- melody, harmony and lyric. It has not left my turntable today and I imagine it will be a permanent fixture in my regular rotation of music. There simply is no filler on this record.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:John, you are right to point out some of the clumsy syntax it falls that way on my ear as well but the opening portion on the inner sleeve is quite poignant-

"How do the fingers of this thing entwine? Which foot falls first upon the trail?

A thing of beauty?

Who needs it?

The trick is, as I know it, is to care like hell and not give a damn at the same time or as more elegantly proposed here; So Beautiful Or So What."

-more importantly the album itself is a work of beauty- it is one of those rare occasions where an artist is blessed with the holy trinity- melody, harmony and lyric. It has not left my turntable today and I imagine it will be a permanent fixture in my regular rotation of music. There simply is no filler on this record.
Agreed wholeheartedly – wonderful album, through and through.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

johnfoyle wrote:Elvis' sleeve note is getting mentioned in a lot of the reviews of this.

Well intentioned as it is, a lot of the note reads like one of those Google translations from a non-English language.

For instance-

would read better as

Paul's greatest songs will find worthy, easy company here.Those songs are titles anyone could name.

Or am I missing out on something?
Well, he's also saying it's a big challenge to put out new material when your resume is as impressive as Simon's.
History History

Post by History History »

[quote="Christopher Sjoholm -more importantly the album itself is a work of beauty- it is one of those rare occasions where an artist is blessed with the holy trinity- melody, harmony and lyric. It has not left my turntable today and I imagine it will be a permanent fixture in my regular rotation of music. There simply is no filler on this record.[/b][/quote]

The release date has been put back on Amazon UK to 13th June. How can this be?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

charliestumpy wrote:We look forward to receiving etc our am.uk ordered PS album in April.

...In UK, put back till June because of PS's tour here ... available from e.g. Amazon.com/everywhere else 2 months earlier though ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011 ... 704139968/

4/13/2011

(extract)

Simon drew praise from another fellow musician, Elvis Costello, whom he gave an early copy of the disc after singing at a benefit with Costello's wife, Diana Krall. Simon quickly prevailed upon Costello to write liner notes for the disc.

“That'll teach him to keep his mouth shut,” Simon joked.

Costello wrote that he believed “this remarkable, thoughtful, often joyful record deserves to be recognized as among Paul Simon's very finest achievements.”