7%
Not for me
No votes

Total votes: 27

BlueChair

The Verdict on River in Reverse

Post by BlueChair »

How about an old-fashioned poll...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I pretty much like everything EC does, but this one has personal connotations for me and is just a cracking good album. As much as I loved Delivery Man and When I Was Cruel, I didn't find them taking unchallenged space in the CD player like this one has been.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Best since the Bacharach collaboration IMO - and I may even like it better than that one - lower cheese factor. :)
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I'm halfway between 'it's great' and 'it's good'.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

His best for many years. I'd say since ATUB and maybe Brutal Youth. A real surprise how good it is.
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

agreed
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm a big ATUB fan as well but thought The Delivery Man was EC's best album since King Of America. I'd put RIR right up there with the other three as one of his best, as well. Definitely surpasses even the Juliet Letters (by a hair) for best collaboration and a really great showcase for the Imposters, who hold their own playing with Allen and the other real, honest-to-gosh NOLA musicians. Some of the other collaborations felt like side projects (sorry, Elvis!) but this one feels and sounds like an EC album, thanks in large part to the inclusion of the Imposters, and a very strong EC album, at that!!!
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

It's great, really really good. But it NEEDS a cracking opener, and it doesn't have one, IMHO. It's the best collaboration he's done (just) and I reckon it's abour 4-4.5 stars. Apart from the Delivery Man, his best since Brutal Youth and All This Useless Beauty.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

All things considered (!), for me this is the most exciting EC album etc in 20 years.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It's certainly his best collaboration album in my view.

I've only heard it completely once in the car and it's amongst some other albums that I've recently purchased. But on first listening it's done more for me than previous collaboration albums.

His last three albums have been brilliant and I can't stop wondering how he does it. It justifies the (vast) money I spend seeing him in concert, the time he graciously gives us after the shows and the long drives and late nights home.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

I rather foolishly wrote:It's great, really really good. But it NEEDS a cracking opener, and it doesn't have one, IMHO.
It may not be cracking, but I can probably safely take back that statement. On Your Way Down is still the least exciting song on the album for me, but it's growing on me.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I voted for the "great...on par", but I'm ready to move higher, as I've only properly listened once. Toussaint is every bit as much of a genius as Bacharach -- though I find the collaboration here a bit less consistently fascinating than it was for me on "Painted from Memory". I love "The Delivery Man" and "When I was Cruel" so "on par" is pretty much a rave from me.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Miclewis

My Preferred Track Order

Post by Miclewis »

At first I worried that River in Reverse may not have the longevity of other Elvis albums. But now after many listens, I think it will hold up quite well in the "Elvis Canon"
I changed the track order though (and removed International Echo - a song I just can't quite warm up to):

1. On Your Way Down
2. Nearer To You
3. Tears, Tears, and More Tears
4. Six-Fingered Man (fade-in on the start count)
5. Where is the Love
6. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further
7. The River In Reverse
8. Freedom For the Stallion
9. Broken Promise Land
10. Ascension Day
11. Wonder Woman
12. All these Things
13. The Sharpest Thorn
14. The Greatest love
and as a bonus
15. the River In Reverse (Live on Letterman)

Some of the transitions work pretty well, especially Wonder Woman into All These Things.

The Sharpest Thorn and The Greatest Love make a nice end to the album.
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

Ooh ooh, terrific. Outstanding album - top marks, thanks BlueChair, dear.

Hi Miclewis, welcome to this forum. I'm happy to leave the running order to the blokes who made the record aaaaand please consider the hilarious 'International Echo' hereby re-instated :D

Oh, and C'MON THE SOCCEROOS :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."