Favorite track from River in Reverse

Pretty self-explanatory
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Still absorbing, but an early favoutite that hasn't been mentioned much id Broken Promise Land. Also like Nearer to You and All These Things. Don't care to much for track 1.
signed with love and vicious kisses
charliestumpy

Freedom for the stallion - Dylan performances ...

Post by charliestumpy »

Bob Dylan seems to have first started performing this mid-1980s which is when I first came across on Bootlegs this Toussaint song - it has never been officially released, but there are many versions available on e.g. interweb ...

e.g. http://www.dylanbase.com/specificinfo.asp?albumID=438
John

Post by John »

I'm beginning to love this album more and more. It could end up as a real favourite. Even the kids are enjoying it! - especially Who's Gonna Help a Brother Get Further. This should be a single as I think martinfoyle may have already mentioned.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I've been listening to RIR on and off, as much as i could through a very busy week, and my early favorite has been Ascencion Day. I love the dual interplay between Toussaint's piano and Costello voice.

I was also was very impressed with All These Things, I really liked EC's cove on the B&C Bonus disc but they both stand on their own, the new one becoming my favorite of the two.

I liked Broken Promised Land upon first listen, it reminds me of Almost Ideal Eyes in that they are equally frantic and slow at times without being abrupt.

I do like the whole album, and will keep playing it for a good while.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

VonOfterdingen wrote:
The Sharpest Thorn (is it me or does the first line sound a lot like the first line of Tramp the dirt down?)
I don't know about that, but there is something about it that brings Country Darkness to mind.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Goody2Shoes wrote:
VonOfterdingen wrote:
The Sharpest Thorn (is it me or does the first line sound a lot like the first line of Tramp the dirt down?)
I don't know about that, but there is something about it that brings Country Darkness to mind.
Hmm. I kind of felt a bit of "Any King's Shilling" in "The Sharpest Thorn"...or as we say here in the Boston area "Any King's Schilling." :D Of course, I just might be delusional.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Yea and freedom for the stallion sounds as though it should be in BAC or MLAR to me. I think the title track is the best by far. I'm having many problems inhaling this album, I mean I know it's good music but I've been waiting far too long for Elvis to speak his own mind about something more than just love (for his last 3 albums have been influenced by something). I hope he ends the decade with something-rock.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:
Goody2Shoes wrote:
VonOfterdingen wrote:
Hmm. I kind of felt a bit of "Any King's Shilling" in "The Sharpest Thorn"...or as we say here in the Boston area "Any King's Schilling." :D Of course, I just might be delusional.
Yes, 'Any king's shilling' thats the one. I knew it was from Spike but couldnt find out which one, and I didnt want to remove River in Reverse from my cd-player :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Goody2Shoes wrote:
VonOfterdingen wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It does appear that there are a number of tracks that have similarities to already recorded EC tracks. I shall listen more carefully. To date I've only heard the album; I haven't listened to it. The obvious one for me on first hearing was as pointed out by john in that Six Fingered Man sounds like Rocking Horse Road.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yeah, Broken Promise Land is really growing on me! God, he's still got it, Elvis. His way with a melody is still amazing - love that bit "Comin' in under the cover of darkness, coulda said more bout it woulda seemed heartless", then the mournful lament of the title.

International Echo is great pop, and I'm even getting to like River In Reverse itself too, which I found a bit monotonous on first listen.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Wonderful "All These Things" followed by "The Sharpest Thorn" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further". In fact, I wouldn't mind if Allen Toussaint sang two or three more tunes.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Right now, my favorite is Freedom for the Stallion. It's so timely and speaks the truth. If you are an American, the only thing you can do right now is pray. That's all we have left because the nation is falling apart with clowns we have in the white house, global warming, corporate crime, etc.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

After only a couple listens . . its between International Echo and Who's Gonna Help a Brother. I love the 'bone solo on Who's Gonna Help a Brother. It hits you over the head.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Six-Fingered Man ROCKS. My favorite is going to need further time to settle. I have a feeling there are about 5-6 that will be in the running.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Today, I discovered Wonder Woman and it's now tied with FFTS. The intro has a pfunkish vibe... awesome. Also, I think I want to kiss Anthony Brown (just once) for his damn fine guitar work on this album.
jillbeast

Hmmm.

Post by jillbeast »

The Sharpest Thorn
All These Things

Well, heck I love the whole album! If I could hear "What Do You Want the Girl To Do?" It might be a favorite as well!

Jill
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I'm not saying it is neccesarily my favorite track on the album, but I'm amazed how much Freedom for the Stallion sounds like an Elvis Costello original. It just sounds so natural for Elvis to cover this great Allen Toussaint song.

I think maybe the song may have been influencial to Elvis' writting through the years.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm with Goody on this one - Sharpest Thorn.

Overall I enjoy the album in its entirety. It's a good listen all the way through. I do find myself listening to Sharpest Thorn most of all though.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Great all the way through! Favorites this week:

The Sharpest Thorn
International Echo
Six-Fingered Man
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Right now it's Wonder Woman. But this morning it was On Your Way Down.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Nearer to you
Broken Promise Land
Freedom for the Stalion

I must be weird...........
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:I must be weird...........
Now there's an understatement :lol:

I am finding that there is lyrical and musical similarities between some of these songs and previous Elvis work. I don't think I've ever thought this before of Elvis' music.

Party Party, Any King's Shilling and Possession are three that come to mind.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jazzguitarist

Post by jazzguitarist »

Jackson Monk wrote:Having listened to the album a few times, i suddenly found myself humming 'Party Party' a lot......then I realised why......'International Echo'!!

Ok, so the latter is far superior, but it's like he looked back and thought :idea: :idea: :idea: ..."that damn 'Party Party' was a great tune ruined by very very bad lyrics.....now i'll do it damn proper!"

Funny I heard "Fish and Chip Paper" from Trust. My fav song on the cd is "Freedom for the Stallion"

drew