Favorite track from River in Reverse

Pretty self-explanatory
Toy Soldier-Scaremonger

Favorite track from River in Reverse

Post by Toy Soldier-Scaremonger »

I hope this hasn't been covered yet since I've been out of the loop for a couple years but which tune is your fave from the new album? Just vote for one! I'm assuming it hasn't been addressed since the disc just came out. Tears, Tears and More Tears is the Scaremonger's personal favorite but that should be evident from my earlier post! Oh how I hope he performs it on Letterman within the hour.
I can't remember being any younger.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

I'm changing my earlier declaration of best song from "The Sharpest Thorn" and/or "Six-Fingered Man" to "All These Things." This, of course, is subject to change upon my next listen.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

'All These Things' just ousting 'Freedom From the Stallion'. I much prefer the Toussaint solo compositions to the others.

Welcome back Scaremonger....you were missed.
corruptio optimi pessima
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Haven't bought the album yet, so waiting with the ranking business but so far it's Brother closely followed by Freedom & Ascension. All These Things is fantastic too.
Last edited by King Hoarse on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What this world needs is more silly men.
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

I think River in Reverse may well be my favourite EC album since All this useless Beauty.
Favourite track: Freedom for the Stallion
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Probably either Freedom for the Stallion or The Sharpest Thorn. Not sure which, I've probably not listened to it enough.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's a toss up between "International Echo" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?" for me
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Favorite track from River in Reverse

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Toy Soldier-Scaremonger wrote:I hope this hasn't been covered yet since I've been out of the loop for a couple years but which tune is your fave from the new album? Just vote for one! I'm assuming it hasn't been addressed since the disc just came out. Tears, Tears and More Tears is the Scaremonger's personal favorite but that should be evident from my earlier post! Oh how I hope he performs it on Letterman within the hour.
Based on a few listens, I'd have to agree with you TSS. "Who's Gonna Help Brother..." is another fave for me.

Welcome back indeed. Both you and PlaythingOrPet appearing again after long absences - I like it!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

"Brother" for performance, "Stallion" for lyrics and melody, "Sharpest Thorn" for sound and feel.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tears, Tears and More Tears...........it just about betters the Lee Dorsey version, by merit of Pete Thomas' drumming.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

A great album, but for me the stand-out is 'The Sharpest Thorn', which sounds like it could have come straight off 'King of America'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I quite like Sharpest Thorn, but the "do-do-do-dos" annoy me at the end. International Echo and Who's Gonna Help Brother get my vote - though I haven't listened that much yet!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Ascension Day
The Sharpest Thorn
Wonder Woman
All These Things
Tears Tears Tears Tears
Nearer To You
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Haven't heard the album yet but looking forward to it having read all the reviews. Just wondered if anybody's favourite is the customary extra track on the Japanese edition and whether I should fork out the extra cash once again to hear it? Or should I simply wait for the expanded album to be released in about six months?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Neil. wrote:I quite like Sharpest Thorn, but the "do-do-do-dos" annoy me at the end. International Echo and Who's Gonna Help Brother get my vote - though I haven't listened that much yet!
I love the do-do-dos!

I forgot Who's Gonna Help brother. Another good one...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Sharpest Thorn
Sharpest Thorn
Six-Fingered Man
Sharpest Thorn
All These Things
Sharpest Thorn
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
John

Post by John »

Only listened to a few times but I love the title track. Wonderful on Letterman. Perhaps he could have done with being a little bit angrier on the album version.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Having listened to the album a few times, i suddenly found myself humming 'Party Party' a lot......then I realised why......'International Echo'!!

Ok, so the latter is far superior, but it's like he looked back and thought :idea: :idea: :idea: ..."that damn 'Party Party' was a great tune ruined by very very bad lyrics.....now i'll do it damn proper!"
corruptio optimi pessima
John

Post by John »

So International Echo sounds like Party Party, Six-Fingered Man reminds me very much of Rocking Horse Road and Mrs John thinks River In Reverse is like Let Him Dangle!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I agree with Blue Chair and Neil - "Who's going to help brother get further" and "International Echo" are both darn good.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

John wrote:So International Echo sounds like Party Party, Six-Fingered Man reminds me very much of Rocking Horse Road and Mrs John thinks River In Reverse is like Let Him Dangle!
... and The Sharpest Thorn is not a million miles from The Scarlet Tide
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Jackson Monk wrote:Ok, so the latter is far superior, but it's like he looked back and thought :idea: :idea: :idea: ..."that damn 'Party Party' was a great tune ruined by very very bad lyrics.....now i'll do it damn proper!"
And yet the tune is Toussaint's. Notice the writing credit for "International Echo": words by Elvis Costello, music by Allen Toussaint.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I read somewhere that Dylan recorded "Freedom For The Stallion" sometime in the '90s. Does anyone know if/when it was released? I would be very interested to hear it if it's available.

BTW, just read on John E's site that EC and AT will be appearing on Dylan's XM radio program. I imagine they'll be performing that one.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:Ok, so the latter is far superior, but it's like he looked back and thought :idea: :idea: :idea: ..."that damn 'Party Party' was a great tune ruined by very very bad lyrics.....now i'll do it damn proper!"
And yet the tune is Toussaint's. Notice the writing credit for "International Echo": words by Elvis Costello, music by Allen Toussaint.
damn!!! I hate it when a watertight theory gets blown apart.
corruptio optimi pessima
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I finally got the album. Didn't know what to expect but it seems better than anything I hoped for. :D

Costellos voice does sound strained sometimes but mostly he's as good as always.

Anyway, standout tracks so far:

The Sharpest Thorn (is it me or does the first line sound a lot like the first line of Tramp the dirt down?)

Who's gonna help...

River in Reverse (the jazz-like piano playing after the first verse reminds me of Steve Nieve playing on Shabby Doll, which is a very good thing)

Freedom for the stallion

Ascension Day (great piano)

Six-fingered Man
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs