Jake Riviera- YIKES!!!

Pretty self-explanatory
IStandAccused

Jake Riviera- YIKES!!!

Post by IStandAccused »

Check out the Foxnews.com, 411 column for today- Sept. 12th, 2003. There is a bit in there about Nick Lowe and Jake and it is not pretty. Jake is also managing Richard Hell these days.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's that piece
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96476,00.html

-Costello's Ex-Manager Goes Nuts

Maybe the smartest thing rocker Elvis Costello ever did in his long career was fire his manager, Jake Riviera. During their time together, Costello was considered difficult, unpleasant, and self-defeating.

Since the two split, Costello has had nothing but success and good relations with his record labels. Case in point is the excellent new Costello release, "North," which will come out in a couple of weeks through deals drawn up for him by his current manager, Danny Bennett, and another Danny, Danny Goldberg, who brought Costello to Mercury Records a few years ago.

Riviera has many enemies in the record business, not the least of which is probably beloved rocker Dave Edmunds. He and Nick Lowe, Costello's best producer, once had a popular band called Rockpile. But after one album, Edmunds reportedly couldn't take Riviera's interference and ended the relationships.

The last time I saw this failed amateur pugilist was in 1986, backstage at the Broadway Theatre before a Costello show. He was as advertised: rude, nasty, vulgar and violent.

Cut to last night, when Lowe, whom I've praised in this space in the past, played an acoustic set at GQ magazine's big coming out party for new editor Jim Nelson.

Lowe and behold, there was Jake Riviera, now white haired, but still looking for a fight, cursing in his Cockney accent, baring widely spaced teeth, looking very much like a rabid pit bull. Seventeen years had not mellowed him.

Within minutes of our meeting he was tempting fate, barking and inviting temporary restraining orders. At last -- here was an explanation for Nick Lowe's lack of a career.

"You're just a corporate fu--," he screamed at me for no apparent reason, "just like everyone else here!" Blood vessels popped under his pasty complexion. "I'm sorry Nick, I shouldn't have let you play here! I hate all these a--h----!" There was more, but it's not possible to type it up. You get the picture.

Then Riviera sent his other client from a time warp, Richard Hell, out to make some retro punk noise. None of it was pretty.

As for Lowe, he performed valiantly in front of an ardent crowd of fans that included Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and actor Peter Gallagher, star of Fox's great hit show, "The O.C." Lowe also had some good media heavyweights digging his scene, including Conde Nast editor-in-chief James Truman and new Cargo magazine publisher Alan Katz. Before the evening was over, actor Benjamin Bratt showed up -- sans Talisa Soto -- but with his pal, Paolo Mastropietro, husband of pregnant actress Jill Hennessy.

"Why isn't he a bigger deal?" asked one of Lowe's happy fans during the set.

Now I guess we know.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Maybe I'm just congenitally skeptical -- esp. about anything coming from anyplace with the words "Fox" and "News" in the the name -- but....

Sure, Jake Riviera may be a raving loon, or just a "colorful character", I don't know. But wasn't he Costello's manager well into the mid-90s? The image of the "nasty Elvis" was pretty much gone, at least here in the states, some time in the mid-to-late eighties. (Starting, I suppose, with that "Elvis Costello Repents" cover story in Rolling Stone.)

True, the probably contrived mostly contrived image of a thoroughly angry and hateful guy was pretty powerful in those early days. I remember being really surprised when I heard the Specials being interviewed by Rodney Bingenheimer. He asked them how they liked working with Elvis as producer of their first album, and all they could talk about was what a nice guy he was. That was pretty much the last time I heard anything new about Elvis being "difficult."

And it's not like his career was so terrible during the early nineties either. Still, I could see how Riviera might have been out of step with today's "charming" EC, I just wonder if this guy's overstating in a less than completely truthful way to try and make his column more interesting.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

bobster wrote:Maybe I'm just congenitally skeptical -- esp. about anything coming from anyplace with the words "Fox" and "News" in the the name
You and me both, mr. bobster sir.

Fox 411's Roger Friedman: As for Lowe, he performed valiantly in front of an ardent crowd of fans that included . . . actor Peter Gallagher, star of Fox's great hit show, "The O.C."

Fox's great hit show, "The O.C."?????
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
IStandAccused

Jake

Post by IStandAccused »

This report was also on the FoxNews television this morning. Mr. Friedman said that Jake actually "hit" him several times. He was very kind to Elvis and gave North a "five star" review. When asked if he was going to press charges against Mr. Riviera, he replied, "no, the poor man is pathetic- I'm six feet tall and he was a tiny little man w/o much bite. I didn't bother to hit him back. It wasn't worth it. He was just angry at the crowd at the event for not paying attention to the acts. The crowd was mostly 20 something models who had never heard of Nick- SADLY! I just happened to be the person who got the brunt of his anger and fists!" Seems to me that he was pretty kind in his column. He didn't even mention the "hitting" part. It is obvious that the Fox guy is a big fan of not only E.C. but Nick and Dave as well. As I remember it, Jake was fired by Elvis for being rude and disrespectful to Cait. That was in Rolling Stone around the time of his being let go.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

"I was a spoilt child then with a record to plug, you were a shaven headed seaside (Riviera) thug"......
:?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
bobster

Post by bobster »

Never heard the story about being rude to Cait before -- but that would do it!

And, yeah, anything that gives Nick a plug is okay in my book. A great performer, a wonderful songwriter and a great producer and, from I what I can see, a great guy.

In fact, though I understand that he's pretty much given up producing, I'd LOVE to see Nick produce the next EC/Imposters record.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Nick is great. I wouldn't worry too much about Nick's career arc, I don't think he needs to do anything other than what he wants. I understand he made a fortune when Curtis Stigers covered "Peace, Love & Understanding" for the "My Bodyguard" movie and the subsequent soundtrack album. I bet Dolly made a pretty penny too.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's an interesting response to this piece on the Nick Lowe Yahoo list

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nicklowe/message/4188

Date: Fri Sep 5, 2003 10:22 pm
Subject: Jake

Your comments about Jake reflect his angry anti corporate side. He is bigger
than that under less stressful circumstances. I dont excuse his violent side.
Some gigs can be very demanding.

The truth is Jake and Nick are probably joined at the hip. The great book about
Pubrock by Will Birch really turns into the story of Jake and Nick after 1976.
Jake has great musical taste. Nick borrowed some of his amongst others.

When Nick had not a lot; Jakes drive was there. Nick needs Jake, Jake may need
Nick. Nick is a shy man (drink changes this), or at least quite reserved and
seemingly has very little financial drive. Sorry to say it but to survive in
music you need a bit of it. Bob Andrews is a fine musician but we aint
following him.

Remember that the Brinsleys broke up because of the lack of killer amongst
them. Ditto Rockpile?
They had it all ready to go but fell at the last. Jake didn't make them droop.
On the Born Fighters film its Nick and Dave fighting. Dave is a toughie and so
is Jake. Only fate or Nick has held Nick back, he was late for the biggest
Radio show in the UK once.

I concede Jake is not easy. The Pubrock book paints a fearsome early
reputation. That's well documented however I offer things have changed. I once
spoke to Nick who suggested I call Jake. I rang. He returned my calls, in fact
he always does. I ask about Nick and he tells me. I have never found him rude,
just a little startled at the interest.

At the London Borders gig Jake arrived with Nick. He was grumpy that Elvis C
was blasting out of the shop pa but soon settled. He was pleased to see
Wreckless Eric and others. They were warm to him. Not the reaction you expect
from a man with his reputation. He mentioned he played bowls.

At the recent (very ace) Brentford gig Jake was there with family (I think). A
warm reception ensued from some old mates. He was very protective of Nick, no
drawn out encores etc. Moaned they could have raised more money for the charity
etc.

The real issue here is with a wooly merchant like Nick you need somebody
driving the car. Nick has now made money so the pedal really is off the gas.
Jake knows that he needs to keep something going on or else it will wither on
the vine.

Jake may be bettered by others (name any manager thats loved?) but Nick and he
go back so far, have come so far and reached so close to the top they probably
both think they are going to be safe in each others hands til the S.Tap home
for ex artistes.

Actually I like Jake. Demon was a demon record label. He gave us Stiff, he gave
us Nick. You probably caught him on a bad day. He is not one for the big boys.

Why isn't Nick a bigger deal? He doesn't want the hassle and I know what he
means.

Regards

Martin