Elvis guesting with Marian McPartland, Lenox, MA, Sept 2 '06

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder if the twins will be adding their vocal support.

And I wonder if Elvis will be there for an "impromptu" encore.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

A 17-minute preview of the DK show can be heard here:
http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 770064.mp3

They talk of how 15-year-old Diana searched out Marian's phone no. and called her up looking for advice. Also included are excerpts from her first Piano Jazz appearance back in 1994.
The show was recorded when Diana was 7.5 months pregnant.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This , it seems, will be on most NPR stations next Sat., Jan.27th -

http://www.npr.org/programs/pianojazz/#songlist

(Originally recorded October 19, 2006)

Canadian pianist, singer, and songwriter Diana Krall grew up in a town called Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Both her father, who collected jazz records and played a bit of stride piano, and her mother (also a pianist) encouraged her interest in jazz and exposed her to all of the great players. She began studying the piano at age four and had several small jazz groups while in high school. When she was 17, she played at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival and won a scholarship to Boston's Berklee School of Music.

The legendary bassist Ray Brown had heard Diana in Canada and he encouraged her to move to Los Angeles to study with him. While in L.A., Diana also began studying with Jimmy Rowles, who encouraged her to sing as well as play piano.

In 1990, Krall moved to New York and began performing regularly with her own trio. Three years later she recorded her first album on the Canadian label, Justin Time Records. In 1994 she signed with GRP records, beginning a long association with producer Tommy LiPuma, who produced the 1995 release, Only Trust Your Heart. That record featured an all-star group backing Diana, including her mentor Ray Brown, bassist Christian McBride, drummer Lewis Nash, and saxophonist Stanley Turrentine.

Each of Krall's subsequent recordings have met with increasing critical acclaim and commercial success. Her album When I Look in Your Eyes won her a GRAMMY® for Best Jazz Vocal Performance.

Krall met singer Elvis Costello at the 2002 Grammy Awards and the two struck up a relationship. They were married a year later. Krall's 2004 release, The Girl in the Other Room included several collaborations with her husband.

When this Piano Jazz was recorded in October of 2006, Diana was pregnant with twins. Two healthy boys were born less than two months later.

Set List for Diana Krall on Piano Jazz:

# If I Had You (Campbell, Shapiro, Connelly)
# Body and Soul (Green, Heyman, Sour)
# PS I Love You (Jenkins, Mercer)
# Little Girl Blue (Hart, Rodgers)
# Exactly Like You (Fields, McHugh)
# Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (Barris, Koehler, Moll)
# On Sunny Side of the Street (Fields, McHugh)
# Portrait of Diana Krall (McPartland)
# My Shining Hour (Arlen Mercer)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:This , it seems, will be on most NPR stations next Sat., Jan.27th -

http://www.npr.org/programs/pianojazz/#songlist

(Originally recorded October 19, 2006)

Canadian pianist, singer, and songwriter Diana Krall grew up in a town called Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Both her father, who collected jazz records and played a bit of stride piano, and her mother (also a pianist) encouraged her interest in jazz and exposed her to all of the great players. She began studying the piano at age four and had several small jazz groups while in high school. When she was 17, she played at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival and won a scholarship to Boston's Berklee School of Music.

The legendary bassist Ray Brown had heard Diana in Canada and he encouraged her to move to Los Angeles to study with him. While in L.A., Diana also began studying with Jimmy Rowles, who encouraged her to sing as well as play piano.

In 1990, Krall moved to New York and began performing regularly with her own trio. Three years later she recorded her first album on the Canadian label, Justin Time Records. In 1994 she signed with GRP records, beginning a long association with producer Tommy LiPuma, who produced the 1995 release, Only Trust Your Heart. That record featured an all-star group backing Diana, including her mentor Ray Brown, bassist Christian McBride, drummer Lewis Nash, and saxophonist Stanley Turrentine.

Each of Krall's subsequent recordings have met with increasing critical acclaim and commercial success. Her album When I Look in Your Eyes won her a GRAMMY® for Best Jazz Vocal Performance.

Krall met singer Elvis Costello at the 2002 Grammy Awards and the two struck up a relationship. They were married a year later. Krall's 2004 release, The Girl in the Other Room included several collaborations with her husband.

When this Piano Jazz was recorded in October of 2006, Diana was pregnant with twins. Two healthy boys were born less than two months later.

Set List for Diana Krall on Piano Jazz:

# If I Had You (Campbell, Shapiro, Connelly)
# Body and Soul (Green, Heyman, Sour)
# PS I Love You (Jenkins, Mercer)
# Little Girl Blue (Hart, Rodgers)
# Exactly Like You (Fields, McHugh)
# Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (Barris, Koehler, Moll)
# On Sunny Side of the Street (Fields, McHugh)
# Portrait of Diana Krall (McPartland)
# My Shining Hour (Arlen Mercer)
The Piano Jazz site now has a full audio file of the show. Or, try the link below -

http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/dmg.ph ... diaType=RM

They talk a little bit about EC.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Marian's show with EC airs in April:

Elvis Costello
04/07/2007 -- Repeats 04/09 at 10:00 p.m. on WNSC
It was an unseasonably cool day at the 2006 Tanglewood Jazz Festival, as McPartland was joined by the unquestionably cool vocalist, guitarist, and songwriter Elvis Costello. He sang standards he'd never performed before, and debuted new lyrics to Strayhorn's Blood Count and McPartland's Threnody. A surprise guest appearance from Costello's most significant collaborator, Diana Krall, rounds out this amazing concert.

A preview (about 15 min) can be heard on Piano Jazz Shorts:
http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr ... 171957.mp3
scielle

Post by scielle »

The EC at Tanglewood show is now posted for streaming on the Piano Jazz Website (except the file doesn't appear to be working...)

Is there a bootleg circulating of this show? One that includes all the songs performed, rather than just the selection that made it to the broadcast?

http://www.npr.org/programs/pianojazz/p ... tello.html

Composer, singer and guitarist Elvis Costello was born Declan MacManus in 1954. He grew up in London in a household filled with music: His father was a trumpeter, singer and bandleader and his mother worked in a record store. Both of his parents enjoyed the popular music of the day. As a child of the early '60s, Costello soon came under the spell of the Beatles, the Kinks and other popular British groups and began writing his own pop-inflected tunes on an acoustic guitar. At 16, he made his first public performance in a local folk club, playing and singing his own songs.

Throughout the early '70s, Costello was active in the local pub rock scene, playing both solo and in groups. His big break came with the release of his 1977 album My Aim Is True. After 30 years worth of albums -- solo records as well as releases with his group, the Attractions -- Costello is regarded as one of the most influential and unique singer/songwriters of his generation.

After making a name for himself in the world of pop music, Costello began branching out, experimenting with other genres and collaborating with a wide variety of artists. Costello has recorded and appeared with, among others, Sam Moore, Bob Dylan, Tony Bennett, The Jazz Passengers, Burt Bacharach, Neil Young, Lucinda Williams, The Chieftains, The Count Basie Orchestra, and the Charles Mingus Big Band. His own tunes have been performed by a stylistically diverse group of performers including Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Dusty Springfield to name a few.

At the 2002 Grammy Awards, Costello was assigned as a presenter alongside jazz singer Diana Krall. The two subsequently struck up a relationship, and they married a year later. Krall's 2004 release, The Girl in the Other Room, included several collaborations with her husband. Just a few months following the recording of Costello's appearance on Piano Jazz at the Tanglewood Jazz Festival, he and Krall celebrated the birth of twin boys.

Set List for Elvis Costello on Piano Jazz:

I Can't Get Started (V. Duke, I. Gershwin)
Dancing On The Ceiling (Hart, Rodgers)
Blame It On My Youth (Heyman, Levant)
Blood Count (Strayhorn, lyrics by Costello)
Threnody (McPartland, lyrics by Costello)
Portrait of Elvis Costello (McPartland)
Lets Put Out The Lights and Go To Bed (Hupfeld)
My Funny Valentine (Hart, Rodgers)
If I Had You (Campbell, Connelly, Shapiro)
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

scielle wrote:Marian's show with EC airs in April:

This "preview" actually inlcudes 2 songs not listed as being in the official broadcast, Why Try to Change Me Now and Little Darlin.

dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

FAVEHOUR wrote:
scielle wrote:Marian's show with EC airs in April:

This "preview" actually inlcudes 2 songs not listed as being in the official broadcast, Why Try to Change Me Now and Little Darlin.

Unfortunately, the songs are only excerpts. I'm also having trouble with playback on this.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Playback problem? What player are you using?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is there a bootleg circulating of this show?
I have a pretty atrocious audience recording. Martin may be able to do some digital work and put together a compilation of the songs that will not be in the show.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes...there is MY full recording of the show. though not soundboard...i would rate it a strong 8 for a simple audience recording. ENJOYABLE! if you could provide where your boot was acquired mr. foyle, to verify that you have not acquired mine already, i will gladly share it with whoever may have interest! cheers, ba
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

It sounds OK to me... just like FM radio. What do expect from a non-profit broadcast service.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Ah, bootleg, I'm listening to the NPR clip.. Pass on the bootleg... thanks.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

but MOJO...have you heard my full boot recording??? i will send it along to you for A: your attempts at FZ AND B: naming the APOLLO bill for me. pm me your address. peace, ba
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

bronxapostle wrote:yes...there is MY full recording of the show. though not soundboard...i would rate it a strong 8 for a simple audience recording. ENJOYABLE! if you could provide where your boot was acquired mr. foyle, to verify that you have not acquired mine already, i will gladly share it with whoever may have interest! cheers, ba
No offence intended, I can safely say the version we have is not yours. To be honest I can remember who I got it from, since it's atrocious -8 standard didn't ensure it got a repeat listen. lets see how the braodcast version sounds and, if there's loads left out, we may look into distributing your version.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The one, brand spanking new thing in this show is the only new lyric from Elvis in '06. Written for a McPartland tune , Threnody (A Lament) , Elvis introduces is as being 'about things we've lost and things we're losing'.

With repeated listening this is assurance that Elvis is still capable of a catchy, thought provoking song. I like the way that ' Night was just the darker alternative to day' could just as easily be Night was just the darker alternative today . 'Now there is just a salesman who tugs upon my sleeve' is a echoing of comments about Blair/New Labour in interviews . Of course, 'I'm not buying anything I don't already own ' is also a echo of what many of us think of the forthcoming re-issues !

My transcription goes like this -

Gone are the hours that I once would wish away
Night was just the darker alternative to day
Looking for someone to love and then betray
Although I still knelt down to pray

Gone is the spirit that was reaching for the stars
Free are all the prisoners that holler at the bars
Just as the glasses were drained the cheer died down
That when you could still say that it lived in this town

Gone are the breezes that could rustle all the leaves
Spent at snow as it settles on the eves
Sullen at the hangman when he hears the reprieve
God give me someone I can bereave

Gone are the statesmen who utter words I could believe
Now there is just a salesman who tugs upon my sleeve
And there is no one left to impress

Enough

I'm not following down to the lowering
I'm not buying anything I don't already own

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis also says his choice of the tune was prompted by the recording on this album-

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Pool-Maria ... 503&sr=8-2

Silent Pool
Marian McPartland

June 11, 1996
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's are some additional comments I posted on listerv -

I'm less moody today and - guess what?- I'm starting
to like this show. I listened again to just the songs
and they work so much better without the chatter. The
latest version of 'Valentine is interesting. After
re-listening to the May'03 studio version from the
first Piano Jazz show , this take is more satisfying.
Perhaps Elvis felt the needed to dominate the piano/
bass sound in the studio and gets a bit overwrought.
This time he only has a piano to deal with and
maintains a steadier tone , allowing the songs message
to carry better. It's also fun to hear Marion start in
too high a key and , after a audible comment ( 'Minor
C', perhaps?) , adjusting her performance.

Another aspect strikes me. The birds were really
chirping outside Foyle mansions this evening as I
listened but I swear I could her, on headphones, a
twitter or two in the background of this show. Does
anyone else hear it?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis guesting with Marian McPartland, Lenox, MA, Sept 2 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

No Elvis guesting ( no, really!) ; it's good to see Ms McPartland is still producing stuff.

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/CCD-30528/

Twilight World
Marian McPartland

IN STORES: 11 Mar 2008

Concord Jazz is proud to present Twilight World, by jazz legend Marian McPartland. Twenty-one albums in 29 years at one label is a feat unto itself - when combined with 29 years at the helm of Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz, the longest running cultural program on NPR, you are marking an extraordinary achievement in jazz history. This auspicious date precedes by nine days the 90th birthday of the incomparable pianist and award-winning radio host, whose legacy of achievement and advocacy on behalf of up-and-coming artists has long established her as an invaluable figure in modern culture.

Recorded with her longtime associates, bassist Gary Mazzaroppi and drummer Glenn Davis, Twilight World is a supreme addition to a catalog already rich with historically and musically significant recordings.

Mixing familiar standards and original material, Twilight World exemplifies the classic values of interpretive performance, in which McPartland demonstrates the elusive art of serving the song through improvisation with her unique combination of feeling, invention, and experience. Pianist and frequent Piano Jazz guest Bill Charlap has said that, "MM is a harmonic genius. Her singular musical voice encompasses the past, present and future of jazz." Her facile touch is present throughout this sumptuous ballad-centric program.

"I'm so happy to have done this album," she says. "It's nice to have something you're this happy with at this stage of life."
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis guesting with Marian McPartland, Lenox, MA, Sept 2

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/09/143439117 ... mcpartland

December 9, 2011

Piano Jazz celebrates Marian McPartland the composer with a set of selected performances by McPartland and her guests, including a few surprise arrangements. She performs solo in "Silent Pool," "Melancholy Mood" and a few of her famous musical portraits. Her guests include vocalist Karrin Allyson performing "Twilight World," and Elvis Costello singing his lyric to McPartland's tune, "Threnody." Also, the program includes a rare big-band arrangement of a McPartland original, "Ambiance," performed by the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra (now the Village Vanguard Orchestra).

Originally broadcast Dec. 6, 2011.