The Juliet Letters

Pretty self-explanatory
charliestumpy

The Juliet Letters

Post by charliestumpy »

I really like most of Costello/have bought into it since 1977-8, but cannot be arsed to buy yet another copy of that lovely Brodsky album just to get 'Can she excuse my wrongs' which somehow I have not 'got'.

Although I already 'had' My Flame/full 'Il Sogno' ....etc I did buy it again last week. I would sooner enjoy noise/music than feel compelled (or sensibly not) to rebuy 38 times every album (5 months later it seems these days).

Possibly it is time for me to dump trying to keep up with Mr McManus's CD rererere's.
charliestumpy

Rererere ...

Post by charliestumpy »

However, for 'audition' purposes if you manage to wade through the dross The Juliet Letters 2 diskie is torrented at *** URL: deleted by Management *** ...

*************************************************************************************************
Material formerly linked to is copyrighted and should not be torrented. The
administration of this site does not approve of unauthorized duplication or
distribution of copyrighted material.

The URL has been removed.
*************************************************************************************************
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Captitalist bastards can go to hell. I proudly support sharing music and art around the world. They can't stop me, or the other millions doing the exact same thing. What's the point in trying to not only stop something inevitable, and clearly supported by the general mass, but something that is promoting evolution and new ways of collecting, gathering and distributing information?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

"Clearly supported by the masses" is no excuse for theft. We've had this argument on this board before. Thanks to the administrators for due diligence.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

In addition, sharing music and stealing music are not the same thing. Turning a friend on to a good band or song is sharing. Downloading commercially released material from a profit making source is stealing. And I'd be highly surprised to find out that you don't support many, many other capitalist endeavors.
charliestumpy

'Profit-making source' ...

Post by charliestumpy »

... interesting/significant that previous Moe says 'Profit-making source' ...

Is it stealing:

a) to pay to watch e.g. live music show & to remember a song afterwards?
b) to pay to watch e.g. live music show and to record not-yet-if-ever-(apart from on CD rerererererelease number 4 28 years later) 'profit making' AND to share this unreleased e.g. audio FOR NO PROFIT ..

Almost always I foolishly buy official profit-making product, even if it's a DVD with person(s) I wish to hear only in background on 1 'snippet', but some artistes/'profit making' companies especially Costello-publishers are taking the proverbial.

I notice Virgin (real world store) selling at least 6 different Remastered-2 disc Costellos at £5.99 each. I have about 6 of this series so far to obtain a track or two on bonus disc.

It is almost 20 years since EMI released CD Sgt Pepper, and significantly so far there has not been 27 rererererere-versions.

I would be quite happy e.g. once a year to buy UNRELEASED CDs of Costello's outtakes etc etc - just like when I bought original cassette '10 Bloody Marys...' (then the vinyl when they eventually released it on that best format)/'Taking Liberties' LP (before later CD versions...).

Coincidentally BBC Radio 3 played a version yesterday Wed. 5th April about 12.55 of 'Can she excuse my wrongs' ...

Surely it's time for rerelease of 'My Flame Turns Blue' (probably without Il Sogno sampler, as most of us bought that in full...).

I suspect that this silly re-release policy does actually harm artiste's credibility.

New one due in May, but is it best to wait till November when it will be relaunched with free Frisbee.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Back to the Juliet Letters...I have been playing it recently and I think its a fantastic album. I even like Swine! One point, on the sleeve notes it refers to a touring band of EC called The Conquered Dogs. I have not heard of this band, did it exist or was it a joke??!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Mikeh wrote:One point, on the sleeve notes it refers to a touring band of EC called The Conquered Dogs. I have not heard of this band, did it exist or was it a joke??!
It was a joke.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Extreme Honey wrote:Captitalist bastards can go to hell. I proudly support sharing music and art around the world. They can't stop me, or the other millions doing the exact same thing. What's the point in trying to not only stop something inevitable, and clearly supported by the general mass, but something that is promoting evolution and new ways of collecting, gathering and distributing information?
Believe what you must, but our site will risk being shut down if we provide links to illegal reproductions of commercial product.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Very true, Blue.

We can't really be a part of that at all. If you do it, then you do it, but we can't use this site as a medium for it. Doc and I have invested a lot in this site, physically and financially, and don't want to see it shut down.
migdd

Post by migdd »

There is only one very legal and viable option for those who feel that they should have free access to music that is the fruit of someone else's labor. . .create your own music!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

There are excellent arguments to be made for downloading, file sharing and P2P software. None of them have been made on this thread, however...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

noiseradio wrote:There are excellent arguments to be made for downloading, file sharing and P2P software. None of them have been made on this thread, however...
Manifest destiny?

I can see it now, hordes of teenaged boys clad in Linkin Park tees, riding up in their mom's VW and attacking Tommy Motola's family as they lay sleeping in their wigwam.
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

ok. Back to the Juliet Letters. Anyone know why the 3rd Shakespear song "When That I Was And a Little Tiny Boy' was omitted?
charliestumpy

The Juliet Letters - 50 character alphabet ...

Post by charliestumpy »

The album is nice, particularly if one likes Costello - I surmise that as it is available on 'Tales Of Terror and Magnificence' (John Harle etc) 1996 that probably it is being retained for the rerererereissue of TJL - bonus disc 03.

This is a Costello forum, and thanks to those providing it - I am usually happy to pay for what I want, and do not charge people to download my noise/creations etc from the web (no - I am not an Arctic Monkey) ...

Can the capitalistic politics of 'choice' justify 7000 versions of e.g. each Costello album (not very world-resources empathetic ....).

Because this is a very good Costello forum I am not attempting to justify 'copyright theft' - just to say that the Costello etc publishers should stop proving that Costello consumers are materialistic idiots.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Well, in an ideal world an artist we admire should feel - as Morrissey once did - contempt for :

"Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge)"

In a real world, well, how many different versions of YATQ have been released, Moz ?

One question concerning Elvis' upcoming album. I am sure there will soon be a song or two leaking on one of thousands of music blogs.
Spooky, can they be linked to on our site or rather not ?

And as for Juliet Letters, I love the album, and if there is a rere-issue with three discs in 5 years, I'll be more than happy to buy it.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: The Juliet Letters - 50 character alphabet ...

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

charliestumpy wrote:... Costello etc publishers should stop proving that Costello consumers are materialistic idiots.
Except that it's us consumers who prove it, not the publishers.

Plus, isn't EC actually doing us a favour by making his extra curricular activity more readily available? It would be more difficult, not to say expensive, to buy each track in it's original form (obscure Jazz, classical, country etc releases).

Or, we could just keep our money and be content with the original releases.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A man walks into a bar in 1986... "Dude, there's this new technology called the compact disc. It's catching on, we should totally put out some of our old favorites on CD."

A drunk replies, "What a waste of money... are we going to have to keep replacing our music??? First 8-track, now this!?"

Twenty years later...

A man walks into a bar in 2006... "Dude, you know how we first started putting out CDs in the 80s and 90s? Well, I just listened to a lot of those CDs and they don't really sound all that good. Plus fans have taken an interest in bootlegs. Since CDs fit a lot more content than LPs, let's throw on a couple outtakes or singles that they might enjoy"

A drunk replies, "I bought 'This Year's Model' when it came out in 1978, and I bought it when you released it on CD in the 80s. Damned if I'm buying it again."

This is a dead issue, people. Reissuing an album simply allows a new generation to enjoy it in higher fidelity than before (technology is constantly improving). If you don't like it, don't buy it - someone else will.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Oddly enough, I don't miss any EC recordings I haven't heard. Not enough to get upset about them.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Blue, we are not talking (well, at least I wasn't) about reissuing albums because technology allows higher fidelity. That's very much understandable (where the hell are The Beatles' reissues ?!?!).
But wouldn't you admit that there is something not quite right about issuing a proper album in March, reissuing it with two bonus tracks in July, and again with a DVD disc in November ?
I am NOT saying that this justifies illegal downloading etc. but such practices of record companies are a little bit too much for my taste (not too mention my pocket).
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's the sole exception to the rule right there, IP.. and thanks for bringing that up. It is definitely a cash-in attempt to release an album and then release a deluxe edition eight months later. That sort of move only works to punish the hardcore fan.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Got the JL reissue 10 days ahead of UK issue date thanks to a very prompt service from whoever was top of the list on the Amazon.uk marketplace. About £8.50 delivered. Can't complain about that. Bought TJL in '93 on cassette and never played it much. The reissue sounds very good quality-wise. I love string quartet music in general (e.g. Beethoven's, Janacek's), but was never won over by the 'string quartet + voice' concept. Maybe I'll get more into it now. The bonus CD is a great selection, although thus far I've only read about it. Great to have this expanded reason to buy this on CD.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yep, bonus CD is well worth it. if you're at all partial to the EC + brodskies thing, you can't fail to enjoy it. Nice to hear more of the Meltdown stuff, having read all about it in Comp Shads. Sound quality throughout is very good. Love the cover of God Only Knows. John Harle stuff is good too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Costello releases more re-issues than any other artist. Granted, he's also more prolific, but the 5th or 6th time I bought Get Happy I started to feel a touch resentful.

The file sharing discussion is one I'm not interested in, but I've just got to wonder why Elvis would want to dilute his catalog to such an extent?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

clairequilty wrote:Costello releases more re-issues than any other artist.
Nope, I think that distinction goes to David Bowie.