Stylus Magazine -On Second Thought 'a fresh look ' at Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Stylus Magazine -On Second Thought 'a fresh look ' at Elvis

Post by johnfoyle »

Some thoughtful pieces here -

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/search.ph ... submit.y=0

' For better or worse, we here at Stylus, in all of our autocratic consumer-crit greed, are slaves to timeliness. A record over six months old is often discarded, deemed too old for publication, a relic in the internet age. That's why each week at Stylus, one writer takes a look at an album with the benefit of time. Whether it has been unjustly ignored, unfairly lauded, or misunderstood in some fundamental way, we aim with On Second Thought to provide a fresh look at albums that need it. '
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

They're WAY too hard on the flawed, difficult, but ultimately rewarding Mightly Like A Rose - especially Hurry Down Doomsday. Sheesh. Indeed, these guys are representative of the view that says that Elvis Costello is only good with the Attractions, and that his entire post-Attractions carrer is a bust. (The give-away here is their celebration of 'When I Was Cruel,' which I think is by far one of the weakest things EC has ever done, yet gets praised by all those for whom EC MUST be a rock and roller and resent him doing anything else). Still, it's fun to read critical re-reviews. Nice link.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones