Our Thoughts on: Sweet Pear

Pretty self-explanatory
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Thanks ISA.
Everything's cool 8) and you can bet that's one topic I'll think twice about before I ever bring it up again.
I have been warned. :)
I'm not angry anymore....
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

arrrrr...Love is such a great way to beat down the walls of anger and division. :D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Damn, I can almost feel the love from here...
:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i never liked sweet pear. maybe i'm missing something but it just seems to me he wasn't even trying. like he was writing on autopilot. something about the song just always seemed beneath ec to me. it's one of the two songs i skip every time on mlar. the other being broken.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

costellopunk wrote:i never liked sweet pear. maybe i'm missing something but it just seems to me he wasn't even trying. like he was writing on autopilot. something about the song just always seemed beneath ec to me. it's one of the two songs i skip every time on mlar. the other being broken.
Costellopunk (I love that name),

I agree with 90% of that. I'm not always in the mood to hear Sweet Pear and skip it lots of times too. And I always skip Broken.
What I like about Sweet Pear are the lyrics, not really the song as a whole.
It doesn't come close to being a great Costello song but the sentiment of the lyric sounds very deep to me and sincere.
I think it's a beautiful, passionate expression.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

huuuh? Sweat Pear is probably one of the best vocal performances Elvis has given, and it is an interesting mellody with great instrumentation and EVEN a decent little guitar solo....the only thing wrong with the song is the title.....who would ever call a woman "sweet pear"????!!!:.uuugrg...

I call my girlfriend "Tunkat"....by the way.

and you all are aware of my beliefs regarding free speach....

Give each other a little slack.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Goddamn it CopFan. Now I know why I always liked you when everyone else wanted you dragged under the water by a mermaid and drowned!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Pear is cool and the guitar break is cooler. Hail to the Thief ???
Hail to the Copster!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

Ps.....I'm with you on the free speech thing as well...(as long as it isn't boring. THAT snake woman was very,very,very, excruciatingly boring. There is no excuse for boring (see C for Coldplay).
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

*sigh* :(
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Sweet Pear is to me a complete love song, and entirely unique. He tells us much about the woman by indirection. She is challenging ("Those who say they love you would never dare"), vulnerable ("I'll watch out for you, I'll always be there"), passionate ("There's a void without your kiss"), uncertain as the singer is certain ("Was my grip too strong, that made you want to run away"), he feels he's unworthy of her ("Now you're back where I pretend you belong"), and through it all she is the one true love of his life. There is also a religious or spiritual element: "I bless whatever's in the sky above for bringing you to me." In certain ways it reminds me of a medieval love poem. It is unusual, to riot in understatement, to see that degree of love and longing, passion and self-abasement in a pop music song. It is a rare achievement.

I do remember that a learned English poster on the original Island message board reported that he played this song at his wedding, an audacious choice but to my way of thinking appropriate. The audience gasped when the closing lines were read: "I am your stupid lover, your wretched groom."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Mr. Misery,
Your discription of Sweet Pear was beautiful. You said everything I was feeling but couldn't express.
I love that song. It may not be my fav EC song, but I love the deep sentiment and passion it evokes.