Our Thoughts on: Sweet Pear

Pretty self-explanatory
High_Water

Our Thoughts on: Sweet Pear

Post by High_Water »

What's everyone's opinion on the overture of boundless magnanimity that is known as Sweet Pear from the eternal masterpiece Mighty Like a Rose?
Em uh.
-Elvis Costello
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

High Water that sounds kind of sarcastic. Did you intend it to?
(I don't mean to sound accusatory.)

I just have a little soft spot for Sweet Pear :)
I'm not angry anymore....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I think it sounds very sincere, and is very well executed for what it is. But, that, is a little one-dimensional, which is my complaint with Alison, So Like Candy and others - practically no insight is revealed into the girl by as much as a word, a bit of dialogue, so it's just about his sentiment towards them and not much as far as 'why' is known, making it hard to empathize. So Like Candy? But how like Candy? I can't quite relate to the emotional emphaticness. Though, having said that, I still like it... for what it is. Just feel it could have gone further lyrically. But maybe I'm supposed to supply my own Sweet Pear or Candy into the equation...

Great performances from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and from EC on the well-orchestrated guitar solo. I always wondered if it was about a pear-shaped woman.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not a huge fan of "Sweet Pear." It begins sounding like a rip-off of "Don't Let Me Down" by The Beatles, and then gets kind of cheesy.

I don't skip it when I listen to Mighty Like A Rose, but it's not my idea of a masterpiece on any level.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

meh.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

~~Both "So Like Candy" and "Sweet Pear" are love names. Nick names for a lover. "Candy" is a pet name and so is "Pear".
bambooneedle wrote:I think it sounds very sincere, and is very well executed for what it is. But, that, is a little one-dimensional, which is my complaint with Alison, So Like Candy and others - practically no insight is revealed into the girl by as much as a word, a bit of dialogue, so it's just about his sentiment towards them and not much as far as 'why' is known, making it hard to empathize. So Like Candy? But how like Candy? I can't quite relate to the emotional emphaticness. Though, having said that, I still like it... for what it is. Just feel it could have gone further lyrically. But maybe I'm supposed to supply my own Sweet Pear or Candy into the equation...

Great performances from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and from EC on the well-orchestrated guitar solo. I always wondered if it was about a pear-shaped woman.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think I'd rather be called sweet tangerine or lovely kiwi--the pear connotation makes me think of Gwyneth Paltrow in the fat suit for that movie whose name I don't recall. And thanks, BlueChair! I knew it was Beatles-y but I couldn't place the tune. Old timers disease already setting in! It's why I always write in exclamation points!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Dont like it!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

It's the Costello version of a love song; instead of the basic sentiment being, "You're so wonderful and I love you so," it's "I'm so horrible but I love you anyway." *shrug* Well, at least love's in there somewhere.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I do very much love Sweet Pear.

The fan Doofster writes:

Elvis actually intended this to have a nod to 'Don't Let Me Down'. The song is actually about Cait o'Riordan's indecision in the early days of their relationship which led to Cait frequently aborting their relationship and going back to her own place...."was my grip too loose, my grip too strong, that made you wanna run away.." etc.

The personal Doofster writes:

I was 25 when the album came out and I was in a very tempestuous relationship with a married older woman (no kids involved). Basically she treated her husband and I like shit. Every time that we had a row, she would go back to him and every time they fell out, she'd run back to me. I can understand indecision, but this went on for TWO YEARS!

Anyway, Sweet Pear was my own personal trauma song when she finally went back to her hubby for good. The twist is that I always regarded the bit "..and now you're back where I pretend you belong....." as being about the woman going to the other man. Elvis actually wrote it about Cait going back to HIM! In short, "he wondered every night and day...how long?"

Hope this ramble makes sense. Otis and I had a discussion recently when we both acknowledged that a personal element can make any song soar for the individual. Sweet Pear has actually made me weep (no pun intended) and that can't be a bad thing, can it?

JackDoof

PS. Didn't one of our board recite this at his wedding....anyone remember ? :?
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

One of those songs I've never heard. Saving a few up, I am. Like the complete works of Dickens, I'm spacing some of The Man's out. :D
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Wow, Doof. That was really deep and personal. Thanks for being so open about something so private - especially in the name of discussing an Elvis song.

It's always cool when someone else writes a song that helps us live through something - good or bad. Sounds like the song really spoke to you in that situation. I know there are Elvis songs that, when I hear them, I am so grateful that just one other person out there has been where I've been and wrote about it. Makes us know we're not alone.

By the way, I like this song. I've been stuck on Mighty Like A Rose today. It fits me today somehow.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

mood swung wrote:--the pear connotation makes me think of Gwyneth Paltrow in the fat suit for that movie whose name I don't recall.
Unfortunately, my husband actually rented that goofy movie..."Shallow Hal". It's so bizarre that, after 16 years+ of marriage, he has NO IDEA of where my personal tastes run (he actually thought I'd get a kick out of this...)

:roll:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I absolutely love Sweet Pear.

I swear
This is my prayer
Till we're burned and scattered
In the atmosphere
Or lost in the world
Across a crowded room....

What a great image. It reminds me of a Stevie Wonder line....

It's a great song.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

bambooneedle wrote:I think it sounds very sincere, and is very well executed for what it is. But, that, is a little one-dimensional, which is my complaint with Alison, So Like Candy and others - practically no insight is revealed into the girl by as much as a word, a bit of dialogue, so it's just about his sentiment towards them and not much as far as 'why' is known, making it hard to empathize. So Like Candy? But how like Candy? I can't quite relate to the emotional emphaticness. Though, having said that, I still like it... for what it is. Just feel it could have gone further lyrically. But maybe I'm supposed to supply my own Sweet Pear or Candy into the equation...
I agree with you for the most part, Bamboo. But I don't think it's necessary to reveal why and I don't think that the lack there of necessarily makes it hard to empathize. You got it, you're supposed to supply your own Alison or Sweet Pear or Candy and I guess if you don't identify personally with the lyric in that way then it's probably not going to have much meaning for you. Like for example, "the personal Doofster".
Hope this ramble makes sense. Otis and I had a discussion recently when we both acknowledged that a personal element can make any song soar for the individual. Sweet Pear has actually made me weep (no pun intended) and that can't be a bad thing, can it?
Perhaps I can't explain exactly what "Sweet Pear" means to me in a way that would be meaningful to anyone else, but for me, as with a lot of Elvis lyrics, I find great comfort in the fact that I share the passion or anger or point of view that he so wonderfully exemplifies in his songs. Obviously the ability to identify is going to give just about anything meaning.
A song like "Waiting For the End of the World" is just a cool song telling a funny little story or observation. Maybe based upon some thread of truth somewhere. Or "Satellite" which Elvis stated is pure fantasy could, nowadays with the prevalence of the internet, touch someone in a more real way than just being a fictional little tale.
It's funny because this topic has really hit upon the exact crux as to why I am so attracted to Elvis (and I don't mean in that way :wink: ).
(Although in that way too, but that's just icing on the......well, you know.)
I hope I can express this as succinctly as I feel it. It touches me inside very deeply how this man has all these wonderful thoughts and feelings and ideas within him and is able to express these thoughts so creatively and beautifully. ( I don't mean "wonderful" as always pleasant and happy and terrific, I mean all of it.....the anger, the passion, the satire or whatever.) AAAAAAND he's just so fucking COOL!!
I don't know if that explanation evokes how strong that feeling is for me. It creates excitement for me and gives me a great rush.
Speaking as a woman (because I am one :) ) how can you NOT be in love with that? He's deep and profound. Intelligent and humerous.
All that along with his(absolutely sexy) vocal delivery is why I am head-over-heals for this guy. Yeah, the butterflies in your stomach way but with total and complete admiration and awe.
Going back to the original question after that long diatribe, Sweet Pear is just a beautiful sentiment. ( Aaww, and it never made me envision a pear shaped woman!) (I'm not a pear shaped woman either.)
I don't know about the guys, but I think any woman would love to mean that much to someone and sometimes when you're in need of that devotion, it can be intense. :cry: (*sniff*) Where's my Kleenex?

PS. Yes, I'll admit once again that I read Bebe Buell's book.....and she states, as she has about several of EC's songs that "So Like Candy" is about her and that his pet name for her was Candy and blah, blah, blah.
I guess that's why that song leaves a bad taste in my mouth.[/i]
IStandAccused

Just stop already!

Post by IStandAccused »

Sweet Pear, I don't want to be rude but would you please do us all a big favour and STOP talking about Bebe Buell every five seconds? Us old timers have had enough. If you feel like you feel, great. But really,love, this has nothing to do with Elvis in the now or Bebe for that matter. Just let them live their lives and on here we sort of have a rule to not go there.

quote="SweetPear"]
I agree with you for the most part, Bamboo. But I don't think it's necessary to reveal why and I don't think that the lack there of necessarily makes it hard to empathize. You got it, you're supposed to supply your own Alison or Sweet Pear or Candy and I guess if you don't identify personally with the lyric in that way then it's probably not going to have much meaning for you. Like for example, "the personal Doofster".
Perhaps I can't explain exactly what "Sweet Pear" means to me in a way that would be meaningful to anyone else, but for me, as with a lot of Elvis lyrics, I find great comfort in the fact that I share the passion or anger or point of view that he so wonderfully exemplifies in his songs. Obviously the ability to identify is going to give just about anything meaning.
A song like "Waiting For the End of the World" is just a cool song telling a funny little story or observation. Maybe based upon some thread of truth somewhere. Or "Satellite" which Elvis stated is pure fantasy could, nowadays with the prevalence of the internet, touch someone in a more real way than just being a fictional little tale.
It's funny because this topic has really hit upon the exact crux as to why I am so attracted to Elvis (and I don't mean in that way :wink: ).
(Although in that way too, but that's just icing on the......well, you know.)
I hope I can express this as succinctly as I feel it. It touches me inside very deeply how this man has all these wonderful thoughts and feelings and ideas within him and is able to express these thoughts so creatively and beautifully. ( I don't mean "wonderful" as always pleasant and happy and terrific, I mean all of it.....the anger, the passion, the satire or whatever.) AAAAAAND he's just so fucking COOL!!
I don't know if that explanation evokes how strong that feeling is for me. It creates excitement for me and gives me a great rush.
Speaking as a woman (because I am one :) ) how can you NOT be in love with that? He's deep and profound. Intelligent and humerous.
All that along with his(absolutely sexy) vocal delivery is why I am head-over-heals for this guy. Yeah, the butterflies in your stomach way but with total and complete admiration and awe.
Going back to the original question after that long diatribe, Sweet Pear is just a beautiful sentiment. ( Aaww, and it never made me envision a pear shaped woman!) (I'm not a pear shaped woman either.)
I don't know about the guys, but I think any woman would love to mean that much to someone and sometimes when you're in need of that devotion, it can be intense. :cry: (*sniff*) Where's my Kleenex?

PS. Yes, I'll admit once again that I read Bebe Buell's book.....and she states, as she has about several of EC's songs that "So Like Candy" is about her and that his pet name for her was Candy and blah, blah, blah.
I guess that's why that song leaves a bad taste in my mouth.[/i][/quote]
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

attack of the killer poor formatting!!
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

What the hell?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SweetPear

Re: Just stop already!

Post by SweetPear »

IStandAccused wrote:Sweet Pear, I don't want to be rude but would you please do us all a big favour and STOP talking about Bebe Buell every five seconds? Us old timers have had enough. If you feel like you feel, great. But really,love, this has nothing to do with Elvis in the now or Bebe for that matter. Just let them live their lives and on here we sort of have a rule to not go there.
Oh, I must have missed that rule in the "from the management" forum.
Thanks ever so much ISA for enlightening me.
Sounds like you have a real problem with HER. It wasn't me who brought up HER name, I was merely adding a comment to that conversation.
The reason I say problem is because I find it interesting that all you took from that post was the last few lines about HER.
"Just let them live their lives"? I'm confused. Isn't this a forum on DISCUSSING ELVIS?
I don't know you but it was not my intention to break any "rule". And I will not be baited or bullied into leaving this forum. Think what you like ISA, but if you are going to address me about something I've said on this site then you can expect a reply.

That's it. That's all I have to say about that. What happens next is up to you ISA.

I apologize to everyone for creating such tension. It was not intentional.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Arggghhhh!
--William Shakespeare
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Hssssss! Spffffft!!

C'mon, guys & gals!!

To quote Rodney King:

"Cain't we awl jest git along??"

:D
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You'd better, otherwise I'm going to have to do some moderation :o
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I'm always good.......just very passionate.

It must be that spicey Italian in me. :wink:
katoomba

Post by katoomba »

I like it. Is'nt it great to see the various replys. Thats the thing for me, music brings out so many different feelings. But remember the feelings that are revealed don't have to be exactly the same as someone else's.
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

SweetPear wrote:I'm always good.......just very passionate.

It must be that spicey Italian in me. :wink:
~~Sweet Pear, dear. I'm sorry if I appeared a bit harsh. Not my intention. Those of us that have been together over the course of three boards now, know the possibilities of the "flame" war. In this case this is the only flame in town, lol. Welcome and don't mind me. I'm just a bit warn out on previous arguments on "certain" topics and now I try to stear the innocent from the fire. Accept my humble apologies and my fondest regards. 8)