I Remember Elvis
Wanda Jackson

# Audio CD (January 31, 2006)
# Label: Cleopatra
# ASIN: B000CEV4M2

http://www.wandajackson.com/main.html

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/derk/

January 31

Wanda Jackson, I Remember Elvis (Goldenlane Records). Sun Studios-style slapback reverb and classic minimalist rockabilly backup lend an authentic vibe to the distaff rock 'n' roll pioneer's payback to the King, who encouraged her on the path that gave us "Fujiyama Mama," "Let's Have a Party" and "Hard Headed Woman." Fifty years later, she offers her versions of such Presley classics as "Good Rockin' Tonight," "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Mystery Train."

http://www.ardemgaz.com/_NewAuthLogin.a ... 3DFeatures

... Wanda Jackson, I Remember Elvis, Goldenlane. Influential rocker pays tribute to the king and her former touring partner. Elvis Costello penned the liner notes. ...
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=20218

Pop / Rock (2006-01-24)
ROCKABILLY QUEEN WANDA JACKSON DOCUMENTARY SLATED TO WRAP NEXT MONTH

New York, NY (KPI TV/ http://www.kpitiv.com) - KPI, an independent production company specializing in television programming, documentary films and new media content, is completing on-location concert shooting across the U.S. and Europe for EVERY NIGHT IS SATURDAY NIGHT, a high-definition documentary that tells the unsung story of rock 'n' roll pioneer Wanda Jackson.

The film is being produced in association with Los Angeles-based Joanne Fish who leads the production team with Vinnie Kralyevich, president and creative director of KPI. The production team follows the 68-year-old Jackson and her husband/manager Wendell Goodman as they perform in Maine, New York City, Oklahoma City, Washington D.C., honky tonks across the South, and overseas in Sweden and Finland.

Production began in June 2005 when the filmmakers documented the recording of Jackson's new CD release I Remember Elvis, on Golden Lane Records, a subsidiary of Cleopatra Records. The film will wrap production in Los Angeles with a concert by Jackson at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles, celebrating the CD release on Feb. 1, 2006. Post-production of EVERY NIGHT IS SATURDAY NIGHT is set to finish in summer 2006.
Talks with distributors are underway.

The many performers Jackson toured with, highlighted in archival footage, include: Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis. Jackson's early music has recently been immortalized on screen in the Golden Globe winning Johnny Cash movie biopic WALK THE LINE which featured her song, "Fujiyama Mama." Presley, whom Jackson dated, was influential in Jackson's choice to move from country music to the male-dominated world of rockabilly.

Another Elvis, Elvis Costello, will also be featured in the documentary, as an outspoken advocate of inducting Jackson into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Costello recently penned a letter to the nominating committee urging it to induct Jackson, who, in his words, "was standing up on a stage with a guitar in her hands and making a sound that was wild and raw as any rocker, man or woman."

"Few people know how Wanda influenced music history," said Kralyevich. "We're setting out to change that and hope this film will finally generate the buzz needed to get her inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

"Our film takes the audience from the very beginning of Jackson's rock 'n' roll career to present day," said Fish. "Wanda is still relevant in the music world today, and she's still rocking the house wherever she performs."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

My copy of this arrived today . It's a rockin' listen , with Wanda sounding as feisty as ever.

Elvis' sleevenote is affectionate. He starts

' Given the name that I go by , it might seem funny to say that I didn't catch on to Elvis Presley right away. By the time I found out how to work the radio dial, the air was full of beat groups from Liverpool and Elvis was this slightly older guy singing melodramatic Italian ballads.'

Continuing with how he eventually was glad to discover his early Sun recordings he comments that Wanda ' had the jump on us all. She was there right around the time Elvis found the place where the songs of Bill Monroe and Junior Parker collided.'

Commenting on these recordings in particular he notes ' you know this going to be good rocking record , especially since you can tell that it is just Wanda and four musicians in one room. '

He concludes with the comment

' Listen to the way Wanda's voice bubbles up to the surface on the lyric " I Wanna Play House With You" with the promise and threat in a song that John Lennon later borrowed for " Run For Your Life" and then tell me why this woman isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Write to the Hall of Fame today! '
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/

The Word ( Nov.06) has a feature on Wanda Jackson , telling the usual tale , ending with this -

Turning to Christianity in 1971, Wanda spent the next 15 years touring gospel songs with Wendell. Then in the mid ‘80s, she started getting contacted again about her secular songs. She’s become known as The Queen Of Rockabilly and The Cramps, Dave Alvin and Elvis Costello are huge fans. Costello has gone so far to write an angry letter to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, disgusted that Wanda —“the original female rock and roller " isn’t in there, while he is. Why does she think she’s still such a cult figure?

“I sing about being young, being a girl, being in love, about feelings, and everyone relates to that. When I started singing the songs again, I was in my forties, and it felt strange—but I was practically a kid then compared to now! But once you’re back rock and rolling, there’s nothing else like it.â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ocweekly.com/film/film/surf- ... oid/27685/

Surf City Celluloid

The SoCal Independent Film Fest goes big

By LUKE Y. THOMPSON

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thirty bucks. It’s what you might pay for dinner at a decent restaurant or a good night’s bar tab. At an event like the AFI Fest, it wouldn’t even be enough to get you into the opening-night show. But at the SoCal Independent Film Festival, which starts Wednesday and runs till Sept. 9 at the Huntington Beach Central Library and Cultural Center, $30 gets you everything.

Now in its third year, the fest boasts nearly 80 films, though the bulk of those are shorts. But of the 10 features being highlighted, most were available for preview, save one that isn’t in competition: Zombie Farm, a movie in which “inbred cannibal farmers are turned into zombies after terrorists poison the local water supply.â€
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis writes sleevenote for Wanda Jackson album

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 425&EDATE=

Documentary on Legendary Musician Wanda Jackson Follows Film Festival
Screenings in March and April

(extract)

WASHINGTON, March 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Following screenings at a variety
of prestigious film festivals throughout March and April -- including a
live performance and screening at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas --
THE SWEET LADY WITH THE NASTY VOICE, an acclaimed documentary about rock
'n' roll pioneer Wanda Jackson, will make its world wide broadcast premiere
on Sunday, May 18 at 9pm on Smithsonian Channel.

THE SWEET LADY WITH THE NASTY VOICE is the culmination of a two-year
journey with Jackson, now 70, in performances across the United States and
Europe, and features rock immortals in interviews and rare footage. Among
those Interviewed are Elvis Costello, Patti Scialfa, Bruce Springsteen,
Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead), Slim Jim Phantom (The Stray Cats), and Terry
Stewart, President of The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Upcoming screenings of THE SWEET LADY WITH THE NASTY VOICE include:

March 6-9 George Lindsay Film Festival, Muscle Shoals, Alabama

March 7-15 South by Southwest (SXSW) Film Festival, Austin, Texas
(Live performance by Wanda Jackson on March 8; film
screened on March 9 & 14)

March 24-28 Buffalo Niagara Film Festival, Buffalo, New York

March 27-30 Memphis International Film Festival, Memphis, Tennessee

April 17-24 Nashville Film Festival, Nashville, Tennessee

In the 1950s, Wanda Jackson kicked open the door for women in rock 'n'
roll, and empowered female rockers to be in control, to be sexy, and to
write their own songs. The film takes the audience from the beginning of
Jackson's career at age 16 to the present day, where Jackson still tours
nightly, and features never-before-seen film of Jackson's concerts with
rock icons Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis.
Producers/Directors: Vincent Kralyevich and Joanne Fish.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis writes -
' Listen to the way Wanda's voice bubbles up to the surface on the lyric " I Wanna Play House With You" with the promise and threat in a song that John Lennon later borrowed for " Run For Your Life" and then tell me why this woman isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Write to the Hall of Fame today! '
Result!

http://www.rockhall.com/induction2009

The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum have been announced!

The 2009 Induction nominees are:

Jeff Beck
Chic
Wanda Jackson
Little Anthony and the Imperials
Metallica
Run-D.M.C.
the Stooges
War
Bobby Womack

Five of these nine nominees will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The inductees will be announced in January 2009. Ballots will be sent to more than 500 voters, who will select artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the 24th Annual Induction Ceremony on April 4 at historic Public Hall in Cleveland. For the first time, tickets to the ceremony will be made available to the public. Advance ticket sales for the events will be made available to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum members and then to the public.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.a ... ryID=15120

(extract)

When Elvis Presley sang "wear my ring around your neck" - it was Wanda Jackson's neck. And she still has the ring. The "First Lady of Rock and Roll" started recording in 1954, and was 18 when she graduated high school and played her first package tour with Elvis in 1955. He convinced her that rock and roll was the way, and she grabbed onto the rhythm like a dynamo. Wanda had the respect of Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, and every musician who ever shared the stage with the "Queen Of Rockabilly." A perennial star on tour in Europe and Japan, Wanda's career revived back home in the '90s, thanks to true believers like Elvis Costello.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://tinyurl.com/3tjwh5

NewsOK.com, OK

22 Sept. '08

(extract)

Elvis Costello, who was inducted in 2003, wrote a stinging letter to the rock hall a few years ago, saying that Jackson's absence "risks ridicule and having the appearance of being a little boy's club.”

"He's really been an ambassador for me, he and also Patti (Scialfa) and Bruce Springsteen,” she said.

These stars, along with Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead and Slim Jim Phantom of the Stray Cats, appeared in the documentary "Wanda Jackson: The Sweet Lady with the Nasty Voice.” The documentary, which won the Founder's Award at 2007 deadCenter Film Festival, also drew attention to Jackson's absence from the rock hall.

The final ballots will be sent to more than 500 voters, who will choose five of the nine nominees for the 2009 class. The inductees will be announced in January, but Jackson isn't anxiously awaiting the results.

"You can't do anything about it, so I'm just gonna enjoy the trip I guess and hope for the best,” she said.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/spot/article. ... rchive=yes

Native Oklahoman Wanda Jackson will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Jeremy Charles for the Tulsa World

Queen of Rockabilly Jackson is chosen for Hall of Fame

By JENNIFER CHANCELLOR
World Scene Writer
1/10/2009

Maud native Wanda Jackson, also known as the Queen of Rockabilly and the First Lady of Rock, confirmed Friday that she will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

As first reported on tulsaworld.com, Jackson also said she will perform at the May 4 ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio. She will be the first female Oklahoman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"This is the big one," she told the Tulsa World on Friday in a telephone interview from her Oklahoma City home. "It's turning out to be more exciting than I thought it would be.

"The main reason I wanted this is because the people I love have worked so hard to make this happen. I may get the award, but my husband and fans and people who have done so much for me all these years deserve all the credit."

Jackson is widely credited with being the first woman to record a rock 'n' roll song, with "Let's Have a Party" in 1958. She also dated a young Elvis Presley, who convinced her to cross over from country to rock and rockabilly music. She still performs all over the world, and her "biggest fans" include music icons such as Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello and Lemmy Kilmister of heavy metal act Motorhead.

Other nominees for induction
to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame include Jeff Beck, Chic, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Metallica, Run-DMC, The Stooges and War. Five will likely be inducted.

Jackson's husband and manager, Wendell Goodman, said the Hall of Fame will make an official announcement with the full list of inductees early next week.

Of her husband, Jackson said, "Today, I have two reasons to celebrate. Wendell went into the emergency room last week with internal bleeding. We almost lost him," she said softly. "It was a tough week."

She even did something she rarely does: She canceled a tour gig.

"But now he's home, and he's doing great."

In fact, when Goodman got the news of Jackson's impending induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he kept it a secret and planned a party for her.

"We had the family over for the Sooners game," she said. Though her team lost the FedEx BCS National Championship Game, Jackson won something far more romantic.

"He brought in three dozen pink roses, and we broke out some sparkling cider and wine. Then he told me," she said. "Then he said he actually found out yesterday at noon. How he kept that secret the whole day amazes me," she said and laughed.

Jackson was discovered by her country music idol, Hank Thompson, when she was only 15, as she played songs live on Oklahoma City radio station KLPR.

In a November interview with the Tulsa World, she reminisced, "I got a phone call at the station after the show. They said 'A man is on the phone,' so I assumed it was Daddy. I picked up the phone, and it was Hank Thompson," she said, a little breathless. "I nearly fainted."

Soon, she was signed to Decca Records and had a hit single, "You Can't Have My Love," a duet with Thompson's bandleader Billy Gray.

"I was bigger than Elvis for about that long," she said with a snap of her fingers. "But those were the early days."

From there, she soon met — and dated — Elvis Presley, who convinced her that she could possibly change music history with her trademark growls and unique vocal style. Her now-signature song "Let's Have a Party" followed, along with "Fujiama Mama," "I Gotta Know," "Mean Mean Man," "Rock Your Baby," "Funnel of Love" and more.

And, during a period when country and early rockabilly singers wore button-up shirts with pearl snaps, long skirts and cowboy boots, Jackson and her mother bucked tradition by designing spaghetti-strapped dresses with multiple, curve-intensifying rows of undulating fringe.

She still tours the world, singing her hits, and has said she's considering recording another album. In 2006, she recorded and released the tribute to her former boyfriend and muse with her album "I Remember Elvis."

In the 2008 documentary "The Sweet Lady with the Nasty Voice," Bruce Springsteen summed up his fascination with the legendary singer:

"There's an authenticity in the voice that conjures up a world, a very distinctive place and time, that is so specifically American," Springsteen said.

It's an ageless time, one that Jackson embodies, and one that she said she can't imagine ever leaving.

"Me? Retire?" she asked rhetorically back in November. "Never."
johnfoyle

Re: Costello fave Wanda Jackson selected for Rock HOF, Jan. 09

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/us/05 ... lobal-home

A Raucous Homecoming for Rock’s Hall of Fame

By BEN SISARIO

April 4, 2009

(extract)

CLEVELAND — The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame celebrated a raucous homecoming here on Saturday night, as Jeff Beck, Metallica, Run-DMC, Bobby Womack and Little Anthony and the Imperials were inducted to the sounds of blasting guitars and lusty roars.

Also inducted were Wanda Jackson, a rockabilly and country singer from Oklahoma who dated Elvis Presley when both were just beginning their careers; she was honored as an early influence. And two of Presley’s early band mates, the drummer D. J. Fontana, 78, and the bassist Bill Black, who died in 1965, were honored as sidemen.

Among those she thanked in her acceptance speech, Ms. Jackson singled out Elvis Costello for lobbying to get her inducted. “Another Elvis in my life,” she said.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... hall_N.htm

Jerry Shriver,
USA TODAY
(extract)

• Rockabilly queen Jackson, 71 (and playing 80 dates a year), thanked two Elvises — Presley and Costello — for boosting her career, then strapped on a hot pink guitar and tore into Mean, Mean Man and her 1960 signature hit, Let's Have a Party.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://clevelandrockandroll.blogspot.co ... me_06.html
Posted by Bear

Photo: Sandy Durbin

(extract)

Wanda Jackson was the next inductee and was presented by Roseanne Cash . During the video intro of Wanda her advocates Elvis Costello and Bruce and Patty Springsteen talked about her influence and seeing here perform on the video from the 50’s showed she really did know how to rock and she proved it at age 71 as she strapped on her guitar and rocked out with “Mean, Mean Man” and “Let’s Have A Party”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

For once 'The Curse Of Costello' has not happened !

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-rockabil ... tory_title

Oklahoma rockabilly queen to earn her Stripes in the studio
Alternative rocker Jack White will help Wanda Jackson record new album

BY GENE TRIPLETT

November 14, 2009

Oklahoma City’s own "Queen of Rockabilly” was on her way to Nashville on Friday to meet in a recording studio with one of the crowned heads of alternative rock.

Newly inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Wanda Jackson is set to record an album produced by Jack White of the White Stripes, The Oklahoman has learned.

"One of the biggest stars on the planet I guess right now,” she said of White during a phone interview Friday from Denver International Airport, where she was waiting for a flight connection.

The Maud native, 72, was a young country and gospel artist who began singing rockabilly in the 1950s on the advice of her mentor and one-time boyfriend, Elvis Presley.

White, 34, is a Detroit native who founded the White Stripes in 1997 with then-wife Meg White. The duo’s raw, stripped-down garage band sound made them modern rock sensations in the 2000s with albums such as "De Stijl,” "White Blood Cells” and "Elephant,” and a big hit single, "Seven Nation Army.” White also fronts two other alternative rock bands, the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather.

A collaboration between two artists of such differing styles and backgrounds might seem unlikely, but White is known to dabble in many genres, having produced country legend Loretta Lynn’s critically lauded 2004 album, "Van Lear Rose.”

"They had a super album, but he didn’t have her do anything different, you know,” Jackson said. "She just did her little Loretta Lynn songs. But he told me he’s gonna stretch me some, so we’ll see. We’ll talk later.”

This isn’t Jackson’s first association with new-generation rockers, having worked with Dave Alvin, The Cramps, Rosie Flores, Lee Rocker, the Cadillac Angels and another Elvis — last name Costello — on her 2003 comeback album, "Heart Trouble.”

Costello, in fact, was one of the stars who championed Jackson’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, which finally took place in April.

Jackson said she was introduced to White through her Web site manager, Jon Hensley, who had told her White was a big fan of her music.

Initially, Jackson and White will record a single for digital release before completing an album.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://thebadpennyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... -and-more/

Wanda Jackson Transcript, 6.26.03: On ‘Soul Mate’ Elvis Costello, Elvis Presley And More

By kurtorzeck

Here’s my vintage, previously unpublished conversation with the Queen of Rockabilly (Bob Dylan’s words, not mine), Wanda Jackson. In it, she gives a track-by-track analysis of 2003’s Heart Trouble – which still stands as her most recent album.

Then there’s “Crying Time.”

Yeah, well that just really blew me away. Because for Elvis Costello to even say he wanted to record a song with me on my album, that was an honor.

Were you familiar with his work?

Well I certainly knew of them, yeah. And I knew that he was up for three Grammy Awards. And so they got it coordinated where he was in California, but at that point I couldn’t get in. I think I was in Japan or somewhere. But anyway some dates changed and something cancelled and something else opened up, so I was able to come in at the very time he was in L.A. to do his guest shot on the “Frasier” show. So, that young man said that the only way he’d record with me, this was his request, was that we be in the studio together. Of course he’s such a fine artist, he has reasons for all these things and I didn’t know that. But he not only came in to record with me in person, but he brought his band. So he’s a real perfectionist. And the first time I met him he walked into the studio we were using for this project, and my husband said, “Why don’t you give Elvis one of your #1 box sets with all of these rocking songs?” I said, “Great, good idea.” So my husband meets him and he says, “Wanda has something she’d like for you to have.” And he takes out this box set and Elvis looks at it and says, “Oh, I already have that. And I have the #2 box set also.” And I’m thinking, “My goodness, that means he had to pay for them.” They’re family records. And so that really told me he was a fan. And he was the nicest guy, I just felt like I’d known him all my life. He’s like, I’d say, putting on an old pair of house shoes. Very comfortable with him. And I had sent him several songs to consider for duets, and this is the one he picked out. And this is my favorite also. So I felt like we were real soul mates.

Did you get a chance to play that with him live?

Well I’m hoping. If magazine articles like yours draw enough attention to the album, who can say? I’m at the point now where I don’t try to second-guess anything. My career has just taken off the last twenty years in a way I never would have believed. So anything can happen. I’m ready for it, whatever.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just noticed that the Wanda Jackson album from 2006 that Elvis wrote a sleevenote for came out on vinyl in 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/Remember-Elvis-Vi ... 1136131878

I wonder if Elvis's note transferred to that format?

http://www.discogs.com/Wanda-Jackson-I- ... se/2126910

http://wandajackson.com/pages/rememberelvisvinyl.html
johnfoyle

Re: Wanda Jackson album from 2006 with note by Elvis

Post by johnfoyle »

Forthcoming book about Wanda Jackson

http://newsok.com/article/5535592

"Every Night is Saturday Night: A Country Girl's Journey to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" will likely hit shelves alongside the new album. The book contains much of Jackson's life story. She co-wrote it with Scott B. Bomar and the biography includes both a preface by Jett and a forward from Elvis Costello. Jackson sat near the front of Costello's recent concert in Oklahoma City and made time to speak with him before the show.