Elvis has lunch etc.

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis has lunch etc.

Post by johnfoyle »

We really need to know this...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/l ... _29487.asp

Wednesday, Dec 14

Lunch at Michael's: Big Bowls, Earmuffs and Sweet, Sweet Jazz

And we're back, with much pre-Christmas revelry at Michael's - a bit quieter than last week, but still very festive. Everyone seemed to be having fun, which is a good thing. Cobb Salad is meant to be enjoyed. So, too, was the mystery dish in the big white bowl that I'd never seen before. Is Michael's serving Ramen these days? I will sleuth the answer out. Note: nary a french fry was spotted by my discerning eye. Light on lunch for party-circuit indulgences later, perhaps? Good advice for us all. 'Tis the season!

1: Here's where the sweet, sweet jazz comes in: Elvis Costello and Diana Krall enjoying lunch and, presumably, each other.

.......at the tables around Elvis 'n Diana -

7: Court TV's Henry Schlieff.

8: David Patrick Columbia's customary table, where he was joined by Chris Meigher, publisher of Quest Magazine (available in the Michael's waiting area and, you will recall, absconded with by Avenue's Pamela Gross last week).

2: Time Warner editor-in-chief John Huey, who was not in our sightlines so we can't say whether he looked troubled by yesterday's surprising round of pre-holiday layoffs.

3: "Mayor of Michael's" and former New York publisher Joe Armstrong with Jim Peterson, son of Pete Peterson and brother of Newsweek's Holly Peterson. Only the Peterson son was at Michael's though. Wait, that would make him "Pete Peter Son's Son" which is kind of funny, if you like goofy wordplay.

11: Lloyd Grove with CNN morning anchor Soledad O'Brien, who even from across the room was really glowing (you too, Lloyd). Apparently getting up for 6 am start time is not as killingly painful as it sounds.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

God, he's at it again ......

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/l ... 7.asp#more

Wednesday, Feb 01

Lunch at Michael's: Schlesinger, Elvis Costello and Hot Napolitano

The energy was high at Michael's, with much table-hopping, hugging and air kisses. The crowd was buzzin' and the cobbs kept a-coming. Here were the witnesses to all the fun:

( extract)

Table 2: Guy with very VERY funky glasses, mucho face stubble, dark red tie and very black shirt and suit. Entertainment biz, we guess -- and in due time, we learn this is Elvis Costello. He is joined by Allen Toussaint. The both tuck their napkins in at the neck when their entrees arrive. Wasn't sure what they had, but we doubt it was lobster.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

I had a tuna sandwich with french fries. I wore a bib that was placed on me by Abe Vigoda.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

These are the things we need to know :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
alexv

Post by alexv »

But Vg, what would a five minute break from work be without this stuff. And to me it is heartening to know that one of my heroes, Arthur Schlessinger, Jr. is still alive and kicking back three martinis at lunch. I recommend the first volume of his autobiography (at the rate he's going it will end up a multi-volume saga).

It's puzzling to me, in a pointless sort of way, why EC keeps coming back to this place. It's a power lunch spot for media people. With so many choices in NYC why this phony as a two dollar bill place? Oops, have I just answered my question? Let's be charitable, though, and assume that he was introduced to it by his Vanity Fair employers, or by the publishers of his multi-book saga. Ec tends to be obsessive in his pursuits (I listen to classical, I make classical, I am classical, dammit; I like Burt; I make music with Burt, I am Brill Building baby). He might now consider himself a "media" man now that he is in the book business. EC to replace Howard Stern as King of All Media.

I take walks around midtown on most days and in honor of the vigilant JF I am going to include Michael's in my itinerary. Will report back on EC sightings.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Elvis has lunch

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

johnfoyle wrote:CNN morning anchor Soledad O'Brien, who even from across the room was really glowing.
She is a bit of a looker. She lives here in our little town (as does James Earl Jones) and I see her in the shops occasionally.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick

CNN's Paula Zahn is a serious babe as well. And this is coming from the perspective of someone who is 20+ years her junior. However, I'm not attracted to Anderson Cooper. :P
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I heard he plays for the other team.

:wink:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare

noiseradio wrote:I heard he plays for the other team.

:wink:
This interview with the insufferable Rev. Falwell gives this notion a boost:
http://www.wonkette.com/politics/person ... 026558.php

COOPER: But there are a lot of gay families out there, Reverend Falwell, there are a lot of gay families out there. I think there are like a million kids being raised by gay parents who say that if you want to protect families, you know, civil unions will give inheritance rights, will give Social Security, survivor benefits rights to…
FALWELL: Anderson, that’s all a red herring. If you want to leave something to your cat, you can do that in your will…
COOPER: It’s not a red herring. That’s simply not true. It’s not true. You know we pay taxes.

To keep the spirit of the initial point of the thread alive......does anyone know what Elvis ate for lunch today?
alexv

Post by alexv »

legman, as I promised I passed by Michael's yesterday, peered in at the main room where all the hot shots sit and confirmed that Elvis was not in the building. It's 1:11 pm. in NYC (lunch time), and in approximately 15 minutes I will be doing my rounds and checking on Michael's. If he's there, I will report on his Friday lunch order. I find this adds purpose to my life.

alexv wrote:legman, as I promised I passed by Michael's yesterday, peered in at the main room where all the hot shots sit and confirmed that Elvis was not in the building. It's 1:11 pm. in NYC (lunch time), and in approximately 15 minutes I will be doing my rounds and checking on Michael's. If he's there, I will report on his Friday lunch order. I find this adds purpose to my life.
alexv,
I think I speak for everyone when I say that I appreciate your efforts. While you're on your rounds, if you see any news babes, tell them Turquoise Pajamas sends his regards. *Insert gratuitous pork sword comments here*
verena

Post by verena »

I am thinking, if I was on that kind of persuit Alexev, I'd just try to entice the Maître d'Hotel or some other strategical person to register the info whenever, and then give me a call. :D
alexv

Post by alexv »

Verena, that would be the logical thing to do, but where's the fun in that? It doesn't really take me out of the way from my usual walks, and I get to peer in (they have a very convenient entrance that allows me to scope the main room fairly inauspiciously). I'm not saying Ill be doing this for the rest of my life, maybe give it a year or two, until I decide what else life has in store for me. Today, by the way, he was not there, at least at 2:03 pm (I was a little late today).
alexv

Post by alexv »

Turquoise, thanks for the props, and I think I mistook you for Legman a little earlier, sorry about that. I'm on the lookout for them news babes. Like you I am a Paula Zahn man. She's my new Diane Sawyer whose allure has finally ebbed, for moi.

I'm also an E.D. Hill fan. Now I realize she is on Fox News which is blasphemous in these parts. :P But, she's had about 200 kids (I think 9 in reality?) and has managed to keep herself in fantastic shape. Long live the news babes!!

Ladies, feel free to chime in with your fave news dudes in order to keep these fair. I won't have much to have to say in rebuttal, but I want to keep this frivolous discussion open to all who have the need to speak on the issue.

It's almost 5:30 in NYC. I wonder what Elvis is going to have for dinner?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:It's almost 5:30 in NYC. I wonder what Elvis is going to have for dinner?
Probably a McDonalds double quarter pounder with cheese.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/62030.htm

February 17, 2006 -- WHERE did the city's most famous lovers celebrate Valentine's Day? Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson had caviar and an $800 bottle of Chateau Lafite at the River Cafe . . . Elvis Costello and Diana Krall were oblivous to gawkers at a front table at Esca.

http://www.esca-nyc.com/

Ben on listserv comments -

*Speaking of which, did anyone see that "La Table" cartoon in the
current
New Yorker? I thought it was really funny....*

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_deta ... 1888&did=4

(Long line at restaurant called, ‘Le Table’ that has only one table.)

ID: 121888, Published in The New Yorker February 13, 2006
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I heard that Elvis ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and a Mountain Dew.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

That explains his rotund status in spite of his vegetarianism. He's what we call a cheese loving vegetarian. I am a vegetarian now too. I'm going vegan cuz cheese kills ya.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

................walking of a late lunch , maybe?

http://karenquinn.blogspot.com/2006/04/ ... hting.html
Monday, April 17, 2006

posted by Karen Quinn : 9:45 PM

celebrity sighting

Last night, as Mark and I were on our extended Sunday night walk, who did we run into but Elvis Costello and Diana Schur ( ?!?! - J.F.) . It was in Chelsea, about Sixth Avenue and 17th or so. I stood behind Elvis and peeked through his glasses (that's how close we were). He has the terrible eyesight like I do, only I wear contacts. His glasses are very thick and coke-bottle-like. He's much smaller than I imagined and he wore a ratty jacket that looked liked it came from a second-hand store. There is a second hand store on that street, as a matter of fact. I bought a leather jacket there about two weeks ago. Diana didn't look nearly as glamorous as she does on her album covers. Her hair was mousy brown and I think she had split ends. They were out with another couple and I'm guessing they were on their way to dinner. That's it for tonight in the celebrity sighting department.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/3871080.html

May 19, 2006, 8:33AM

Unwind in Anguilla's serenity and seclusion
This Caribbean hideaway loved by the rich and famous

By ROSEMARY MCCLURE
Los Angeles Times

( extract)

ANGUILLA, BRITISH WEST INDIES - My assignment: Go behind the scenes of Anguilla, a 35-square-mile island in the eastern Caribbean that ranks high on the list of uber-chic superstar hideaways.

The local restaurants can be a good place to see superstars. Hibernia, a 13-table open-air restaurant at the eastern end of the island, specializes in French-Asian cuisine. Its guestbook is a who's who of island visitors: Robert De Niro, Kevin Kline, John Malkovich, Elvis Costello, Mariah Carey, Aidan Quinn, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins.

It's almost like being in Beverly Hills, Calif.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://hiberniarestaurant.com/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://karenquinn.blogspot.com/2006/05/ ... krall.html

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Karen Quinn's Blog

Welcome to my little corner on the web!

Elvis Costello and Diana Krall

I went out to dinner last night with my wonderful publisher from the UK - Suzanne Baboneau. We ate at Michael's, a fancy upper east side haunt. So we're eating dinner and who is seated right next to us but Elvis Costello and Diana Schur, I mean Krall. I kid you not. I think they are following me. Both had the pea soup with croutons. Then, Diana had the lamb chops, which I had. They were very tastey. Elvis had some sort of vegetarian dish that looked like giant mushroom caps or pancakes or something. As before, Elvis's glasses were extremely thick and strong. It's been two weeks since I last saw him - not enough time for anyone's eyes to improve without Lasik surgery. Diana was casual - no makeup, semi-schlubby clothes, hair in need of color - sorry to say that Diana, but it's true. The couple was having a good time together, talking intimately and laughing. I'm sure they would probably be appalled to know that I was watching them and would blog about it today. But that's what they get for following me.

P.S. Believe it or not, Elvis and Diana are mentioned in my book, Wife in the Fast Lane. Maybe the fact that I keep seeing them is a sign. Of what, I don't know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.michaelsnewyork.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 71-6757414

Wife in the Fast Lane
Karen Quinn

# Paperback 464 pages (July 3, 2006)
# Publisher: Pocket Books
# Language: English

Thanks John! I love these updates. :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'll bet Elvis has had dinner once or twice, as well!! :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I e-mailed Ms Quinn about her book ; she replied -

Hi John. Yes, I keep running into Elvis and Diane all over town. Not that they have noticed that I'm in their orbit staring at them. Or maybe they have and they're ignoring me which, of course, I would understand, as they must be surreptitiously ogled by adoring fans on a regular basis. Now that I know there is a forum to report Elvis sightings, I will be vigilant about reporting any further encounters. Yes, my new book is called Wife in the Fast Lane and it comes out in the UK July 3, then in the spring in the US. Elvis and Diana play a (surprise!) power couple attending the World Economic Forum in Davos. It's a small role, but they were perfect for the part. The novel is a comedy, very much like last year's book, The Ivy Chronicles. I hope you'll look out for it.

Best, Karen Quinn

P.S. John, of course you can share the details of my upcoming book with the Costello fan forum. If anyone would like more info about it, they can go to http://www.karenquinn.net. Thanks!