River in Reverse discussion

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The result is that Costello is the Bo Jackson of musical genres.
I didn't understand this reference ; perhaps others didn't so here's an explanation -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Jackson

Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson (born November 30, 1962) is an American former multi-sport athlete who played professional football in the National Football League and Major League Baseball simultaneously, and was the first athlete named an All-Star in both sports.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/alb ... ws_rssfeed

Back when he was a young geek storming pop through punk, who would have thought Elvis Costello's singing would end up more distinguished than his word-slinging? As his high baritone matured, however, its nasal angst gained technical command and emotional gravity, till eventually it could swallow a string quartet, an avant-jazz combo, a symphony orchestra -- jeez, even Bacharach-David. So this meeting with the great Sixties and Seventies New Orleans hitmaker is more than its Katrina angle. It's one collaboration in a series, timed just right. The Allen Toussaint oldies Costello covers avoid the overfamiliar, and his delivery has a way of adding a post-disaster historical context to Toussaint's intended meaning -- not just with socially conscious material like "On Your Way Down" and "Freedom for the Stallion" ("They've made money, God") but with love songs such as "Nearer to You" (where the "you" could be his city) or "Tears, Tears and More Tears" (with its lost, well-remembered "walk in the park"). Although Elvis' title tune and the four co-written new songs are less winning, "Broken Promise Land" bites the hand that doesn't feed it with sarcastic gusto, and "International Echo" captures and holds the joy both men take in the record-making process it portrays. Costello's Imposters negotiate Toussaint's tricky rhythms jauntily enough, and the Crescent City Horns add warming coloration. But it's the master's steady, rollicking piano that elevates the music -- and keeps the ever-elusive Costello honest.

ROBERT CHRISTGAU

(Posted: May, 26 2006)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You can listen again to the interview on Belgian radiostation Radio 1 for about one week:

http://www.radio1.be/radio1_master/home ... index.html

Open "programma's" on this site and then choose "Shuffle" on the programme schedule. On that page click on "Beluister de jongste uitzending". An internet radioplayer will open and you can listen again.

Part 1 of the interview is at 0:24 and part 2 is at 1:11. These songs from the record were played: Ascension Day, International Echo, Freedom Of The Stallion and Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

At about three minutes and ten seconds into 'Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?' is one of the most delightful moments on this disc . Two pianos/keyboards can be heard . Is it Allen and Steve playing ? One seems to be a kind of jazzy piano, the other a slightly harsher , more formal sequence of notes. They riff away at each other for about twenty seconds , creating a mesmerising musical texture.

In many ways this is a abiding motif of the album. Besides highlighting Allen's musical past and the many issues surrounding New Orleans/ Katrina etc. we get a lesson in musical excellence. Along with the lyrical cleverness we get to hear a collision of playing styles that is thrilling to behold. Time and again a guitar line will flare up , a backing vocal will be pitched just so etc.

The month since I got it was a very busy time for me , a combination of work and travel taking up a lot of my time. As a result most of my initial hearing of the album was in a environment of distraction. Just today I got to spend part of an afternoon hearing it at home , loud , from start to finish.

Things like the piano interplay mentioned above became more obvious. Elvis' vocal on All These Things is especially moving. Considering the songs specific intent , I found myself wondering if the compositions for The Secret Songs from just before the recording sessions were foremost in his mind. Certainly , the reference soaked Broken Promise Land parallels a aspect common with those songs.

Having listened a lot to originals of the Toussaint songs it is interesting to compare them with the Costello versions. In most cases the arrangements are similar. A certain element of 'tidying up' appears to have happened. Little things like , in On Your Way Down, the line 'The same dudes you misuse on the way up' ( in the Lee Dorsey recording) becomes ' The same dudes you misuse on your way up'. In 'Freedom.. the line 'All the people that are prayin' to you' becomes 'All the people who are prayin' to you'. 'Doubtlessly Allen accepted these , seeing it's help in focussing the intent etc. There's also the 'Folk Music Process' element, I suppose , so beloved of the more earnest artistes , which , of course , would include Elvis 'n Allen.

Having just seen the 'Later..' performance of two songs I find myself so envying those of you who will see these songs live. With a full band these songs will be just awesome.

This album just gets better 'n better .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

we will turn the America and this winter we will arrive in Europe and Italy, a earth that I love very manyâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... t_Schedule

tells me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/

-with a link to this

Elvis Costello (35 min)

Broadcast on Five Live - Tue 23 May - 14:00

Simon Mayo talks to Elvis Costello and New Orleans blues musician Allen Toussaint about their collaboration on Elvis's new album, "River in Reverse".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just listening now ; so far the usual stories . It starts with Simon asking Elvis why he and Allen are still wearing coats in the studio . Elvis answers that they hope hope to get way quick!

Allen talks at length about his escape from New Orleans .
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Esquire

Q&A: Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint

By Scott Frampton | Jun 1, 2006 | 385 words, 0 images

ALLEN TOUSSAINT IS one of those guys whose genius means everything to the relative few who recognize it. Name a hit to come out of New Orleans since the '50s and he's had his hands in it, from "Working in the Coal Mine" to "Lady Marmalade." His songs have been covered all over the place, most infernally by Herb Alpert, whose version of "Whipped Cream" lives forever as a Dating Game theme. His new collaboration with Elvis Costello, The River in Reverse, hits record stores this month. — SCOTT FRAMPTON

ESQ: How did the two of you get together?
EC: Allen and I worked together twice in the '80s, but I hadn't, to my shame, kept in touch. And then after Katrina, we were all in New York, and Allen and I had both been invited to play in a couple of benefit shows. We ended up on the same bill that week, and I think the idea of making a record together certainly occurred to me. And so Allen and I started discussing it.

ESQ: Allen, you're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but in the nonperformer category.
AT: Yes, I think that's pretty accurate. My life hasn't been performing; it's been in the studio.
EC: Well, I'd argue with that definition. If you listen to the records that Allen's produced, I mean, he's all over them. His piano is really, really dominant on most of those records. And as an arranger and songwriter, he's someone who knocks me out every time.

ESQ: How much of the record was inspired by New Orleans and Katrina?
EC: We want to hit people's hearts where that's appropriate. I think that there are things The River in Reverse says that can stand to be said. Yet some of the songs that have the most impact are songs of Allen's from a while ago that have come into their moment. Songs like "Freedom for the Stallion" and "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?"—suddenly they have a resonance now.
AT: This recording will far outlast any effects of Katrina. This is a whole lot of love, heart, and soul. It just so happened to be done in the season in which Katrina had a part. No, this music will be around forever, but not Katrina.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Here's the review in today's Indepedent on Sunday, for John's records (in case he hasn't got it) and anyone else:

"The First major sessions in New Orleans since Hurracane Katrina" turn out to be Ol' Speccy doing the do with the distinguished local pianist/composer Allen Toussaint. It's a resolutely fuggy, analogue-sounding creation, featuring The Imposters and The Crescent City Horns. And if Costello's word torrents don't always sit easy within the generic structures of New Orleans R&B, that doesn't mean it isn't a delight in several places. The title track is the one that really sticks. But "Ascension day" and "All These Things" are lovely and the playing's tasty. Hell, just roll with it.

Nick Coleman

Another positive review. Haven't seen a really negative comment about it so far, apart from the snide remarks about another collaboration or Elvis's voice. Looking good.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... t_Schedule

tells me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/

-with a link to this

Elvis Costello (35 min)

Broadcast on Five Live - Tue 23 May - 14:00

Simon Mayo talks to Elvis Costello and New Orleans blues musician Allen Toussaint about their collaboration on Elvis's new album, "River in Reverse".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just listening now ; so far the usual stories . It starts with Simon asking Elvis why he and Allen are still wearing coats in the studio . Elvis answers that they hope hope to get way quick!

Allen talks at length about his escape from New Orleans .
You can get an mp3 of this interview from the iTunes podcast place for the next 24 hours still.
Music Store>Podcasts and then search Daily Mayo.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://offbeat.com/artman/publish/article_1520.shtml

OffBeat Magazine, LA

The River in Reverse

Verve Forecast
By Alex Rawls

If nothing else, Elvis Costello deserves thanks for doing what many Allen Toussaint fans have wanted to do for years. For The River in Reverse, he rummaged through Toussaint’s voluminous song catalogue for unjustly overlooked gems, in the process confirming the suspicions of Toussaint’s fans who have waited very patiently for him to revisit some of those songs. Costello and Toussaint demonstrate how commercially and artistically powerful those songs are, and some though some gain resonance for the album’s proximity to the flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina — “Nearer to You,â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.musicomh.com/albums5/costell ... t_0506.htm

musicOMH.com, UK

Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint - The River In Reverse (Verve)
UK release date: 29 May 2006
3 stars

The River In Reverse represents the first major sessions to take place in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina. Conceived after Elvis Costello met Allen Toussaint during a benefit concert in New York, where Toussaint currently lives while his home is rebuilt, this album is proof that it takes a lot more than a hurricane to break the musical spirit of New Orleans.

Neither artist needs much introduction, Costello having a career spanning over 28 years and Toussaint being a legend as a songwriter and producer, though he's also has a solo recording career - his first album The Wild Sounds Of New Orleans was released in 1958.

This album should, then, be pretty hot. Sad to say, it's lukewarm, though I must say that many of its subtleties only emerge after more than one listen. The opening jazz piano riff is promising, the guitars crash in with aplomb, the saxes in the background are superb, the trumpet adds spice and the song itself - On Your Way Down, a Toussaint classic, is great. And yet - it lacks oomph, the tempo just too slow for real engagement.

Many of these tracks are Toussaint songs, more soul than jazz, and not all of them are ideal vehicles for Elvis Costello's voice. Nearer To You is a prime example of this - he just doesn't have the vocal range to make the most of what should be a great song. Again, the musicianship is exemplary, but the result lacks something. Freedom For The Stallion is another gorgeous song where Costello's voice just doesn't work.

OK, enough of the downside. The title track is a Costello solo effort. It's good, a bluesy, edgy song with minimal backing - just the occasional trumpet pointing up the vocals.

The Sharpest Thorn is one of the Costello/Toussaint collaborations, a curious Gospel anthem with a recurring refrain that could get lodged in the brain. International Echo is another and like the opening track, starts out with good intent and some splendid honky-tonk piano. Good lyrics too, great sax (Brian "Breeze" Cayolle and Amadee Castenell) and one of the best of the joint work.

Six-Fingered Man starts out heavy - Hendrix overtones - and grows on you. Great Costello lyrics on this one: "Six-Fingered Man / playing a seven string guitar / there are seven deadly sins / any one of them can do you in...".

Ascension Day is a quieter, more contemplative blues, another real grower - just Costello's vocals and Toussaint's piano on this track. And listening to this it's easy to understand why he is such a legend, because his piano is sublime, subtle, sensitive and exquisitely syncopated.

Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further is a Toussaint soul number featuring him on lead vocals, which helps greatly, and makes you wish he'd taken the lead on Nearer To You. Other Toussaint solo compositions include Tears, Tears And More Tears, Wonder Woman and All These Things. If you jazzy, bluesy soul so laid back it's horizontal you'll love them.

Recorded in Piety Street Studios in November-December 2005, it's good to see this album released, but whether the meeting between Costello and Toussaint has produced anything of greater note that their individual achievements, I'm not convinced.

- Helen Wright
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Two-sentence "review" from Time Out, London

http://www.timeout.com/london/music/rev ... verse.html

Rating : 3/6

Costello, still seeking the holy grail of Southern soul, joins legendary N’Awlins pianist Toussaint (of The Meters and ‘Lady Marmalade’ fame) to play seven obscure Toussaint songs and six new gospel-ish co-writes. Costello’s strangled voice is irritating as ever, but Toussaint and the band are in sparky form, perfectly suited to Joe Henry’s look-you’re-in-the-room production.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Time Out idiot wrote:Costello’s strangled voice is irritating as ever.
Obviously not the right person to be writing this review then, eh?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Disagree about voice limitations, I think he handles the slower ones like Freedom For The Stallion (what a song!) excellently. But then I/we wouldn't agree, I guess. Many things on the LP are an extension of TDM for me, and some songs are quite reminiscent of it.

So was Tousaaint part of The Meters? I ain't been reading closely... I luuuurve The Meters. OK, he worked with them, wasn't part of them.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Many things on the LP are an extension of TDM for me, and some songs are quite reminiscent of it.
I wish you hadn't said that. TDM is not among my favourite EC albums. :(
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I agree after the first couple of listens. Haven't heard mr Toussaint's lovely voice before and would have liked to hear it more on this album. Love hearing his fingers at work though.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

invisible Pole wrote:[I wish you hadn't said that. TDM is not among my favourite EC albums. :(
Just observing. TDM is heading south, and TRIR goes souther! It's a very different prospect, though, as a CD with only one all-EC song on it. For me, I doubt it will ever excite me as much as TDM did (which I have to say took on new dimensions when I saw it being toured, as did North), but it's an excellent move and is one more impressive notch on the varied musical bedpost for Elvis. He gets a lovely acknowledgement from AT in the liner notes, all about his dedication to the art and skill of music. Very true.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

invisible Pole wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Many things on the LP are an extension of TDM for me, and some songs are quite reminiscent of it.
I wish you hadn't said that. TDM is not among my favourite EC albums. :(
To me, River is way better than Delivery Man
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
charliestumpy

TRIR-DVD ...

Post by charliestumpy »

Not surprisingly as yesterday in UK was 'Bank Holiday' my on-line ordered TRIR with DVD didn't arrive, so I cancelled and bought it/them in real shop for £2 more.

Apart from probably starting to like quite a bit of CD (not convinced by 2 tracks positioned after stand-out 11th though...) I enjoyed 32 minute CD on which - apart from Toussaint pplaying solo instr. 40 seconds of 'Sweet Georgia Brown' Mr Costello does about 1 min 50 secs singing 'What do you want the world to do' with Toussaint etc.

I was particularly thrilled in 32 min DVD to see Mr Toussaint clearly showing us score for 'The greatest love' (Japanese bonus track) which I still have not heard/is not on paid download/has not appeared to my knowledge yet on P2P etc..
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Our copy from Japan arrived this morning and it sounds so much better than the promo copy we got a month ago. A real blanket-off-the-speakers difference in sound.

One of the more interesting credits is a salutation by Elvis to Bob Andrew and Nick Lowe for their version, presumably as part of Brinsley Schwartz, of Wonder Woman. As far as I'm aware this is one of the few Brinsleys tracks not available on cd. It's only commercial release was on this timepiece

A pretty decent cdr transfer is available in traders circles, here it is

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... B334F61E76
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos ( credited to Jesse Dylan) scanned from the CD booklet ; enlarged from tiny reproductions -

Elvis 'n Joe Henry

Allen 'n Anthony 'AB' Brown
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Didn't see this posted earlier, but the album is streaming here:

http://www.vh1.com/music/hear_music_first/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13070666/

Richard Drew / AP
Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello pose together in the Soho neighborhood of New York on May 5. The pair have collaborated on "The River in Reverse," an upcoming CD on Verve records.

MSNBC.com

Katrina brings Costello, Toussaint together
Two collaborate on a CD that’s a requiem to the hurricane tragedy
The Associated Press

Updated: 6:07 p.m. ET May 31, 2006

NEW YORK - Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint had crossed paths before.

More than two decades ago, the British rocker called on the renowned producer, pianist and songwriter to produce a song for him. And a few years later, Costello leaned on the New Orleans native for another project.

Yet they didn’t form a lasting friendship, and had long been out of touch when they just happened to be on the same bill at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest in May 2005.

It was a happy, brief, reunion. But it would take a disaster of epic proportions to bring the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers together again as collaborators, and also as friends.

“It’s just great,â€
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

The order from amazon has dispatched, so should arrive tomorrow. Will let you know my thoughts...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... tleft.html
The Daily Telegraph ( London)

Classic collaboration: Elvis Costello is working with Allen Toussaint

Photo from print edition ( by Richard Saker )

Punk soul brothers
(Filed: 01/06/2006)

Elvis Costello and R&B veteran Allen Toussaint joined forces to raise money for victims of the New Orleans flood - and hit it off so well they made an album together. Andrew Perry reports

Like countless tasteful and knowledgeable musicians around the world, Elvis Costello has long admired the New Orleans R&B supremo Allen Toussaint. But it was the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in August last year that led to a collaboration between the two men - and a new album.

In the early 1960s, Toussaint wrote and produced many of the funkiest tunes to emerge from the Crescent City, most famously for the soul vocalist Lee Dorsey. He became one of black America's most in-demand hit-makers, providing the backing for countless singers, including Dr John, two of whose best albums he orchestrated.

As the hurricane hit last year, Toussaint, like thousands of New Orleans residents, was forced to flee his home and ended up in New York, where Costello now lives (with his wife, Diana Krall). The men had worked together before, on Costello's 1989 album Spike.

Now they found themselves appearing at benefit concerts for victims of the disaster in mid-September. At the final event, they performed together in Costello's choice of an old song of Toussaint's called Freedom for the Stallion, whose plaintive lyrics of inequality resonated with the indignant mood of the moment.

"That week reconfirmed the strengths I'd always found in Allen's songwriting," says Costello. "So I thought, let's see if there's a record to be made out of this. I consciously thought: there are some people who, despite all the great songs Allen has written, don't know as much about him as they might do."

The best-loved entries in Toussaint's songbook include Lee Dorsey's Working in the Coalmine, Southern Nights, made popular by Glenn Campbell, and Hercules by Aaron Neville. He also produced Labelle's evergreen disco anthem Lady Marmalade, but his achievements over the years have tended to be recognised only by students of the small print on old 45rpm record labels - people like Costello.

If Costello is lodged in the public consciousness as the bespectacled punk rocker, it's worth remembering that he first attempted his own spiky variant on vintage R&B on 1980's Get Happy!! album. For him, this new album, The River in Reverse, is the culmination of a lengthy passion for early soul. He duly scoured Toussaint's repertoire for hidden gems that, like Freedom for the Stallion, might take on added meaning today.

One song, On the Way Down, was originally about karma repaying a scheming lover, with the memorable refrain: "The same dudes you misuse on your way up, you might meet them on your way down." After a minor refashioning tweak by Costello, it's a transparent rebuke to the authorities who left citizens of New Orleans for dead.

"It doesn't say anything that you would call political," he says. "But there's this sense of 'promise kept' in there. Also, on Nearer to You, when it came to the bit, 'I know you say that you'll be home soon', I could barely sing it. A song can jump up and bite you when you least expect it."

Costello wrote the song The River in Reverse in the course of the New York benefit shows and when he and Toussaint reconvened the following month, Toussaint happily co-composed afresh alongside him. Recording ended in New Orleans in December, at the first viable studio to open its doors, post-Katrina.

When we all meet in London, Costello does most of the talking. Toussaint, a smartly dressed, reserved and well-preserved man of 68, quietly sips his herbal tea. However, Costello buttons up and listens, rapt, when Toussaint starts to open up, in his soft Southern twang, about the blend of blues, boogie-woogie and hillbilly stylings he grew up on, and about local pianists such as Professor Longhair and Ernest Penn, from whom he picked up the boogie-woogie craft.

He also reminisces about Lee Dorsey. "He was such a high-spirited guy. We rode motorcycles and raced Cadillacs together. We'd stop off at a joint, and Lee would go up to the jukebox, punch all his own songs up, sit real close to it and listen. He'd play Can I Be the One? At the end, there was a little bell I rang. By this time, everyone in the joint's listening, too, and he'd jump around, go crazy - that bell was his top moment in the whole recording."

In the CD booklet to The River in Reverse, Toussaint characterises Costello as "one who recognises much of what others miss". Perhaps that is why this collaboration snaps into place like a dream. The River in Reverse is defined by its integrated personnel - the soulful finesse of Toussaint on piano, with his horn section in tow, electrified by the raw rock of Costello's band, the Imposters.

Equal parts old and new compositions, the album has a great sense of the illustrious New Orleans tradition being upheld and updated. With its celebratory finale, Six-Fingered Man, you're reminded of the vibrant "second line" parades that follow a New Orleans funeral - fitting closure, perhaps, on the nightmare of last August.

# 'The River in Reverse' (Verve Forecast) is released on Mon.