Cait joins the Tetras , April 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Cait O'Riordan

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gob ... n?ref=live

Send The Gobshites 2 Ireland 2 Record W/ A Pogue & A Ramone!

About this project

The two biggest influences on The Gobshites are the Ramones and The Pogues. Who would have thought that we'd get a chance to have members of each of those bands want to record with us? We are thrilled for this opportunity! So, we'll be headed off to Ireland in November with Richie Ramone (of the Ramones) to meet up with Cait O'Riordan (of The Pogues) to record our new CD which we are calling - The Whistle Before The Snap. We can't wait!

Thank you in advance for making this happen.

All The Best

- PEte (and the rest of The Gobshites)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Irish singer Mundy Enright posts to Facebook

wobby, shakey photo from Saturday Show rehearsals, nice set..show starts at 9.30 on RTE, am on after 10pm with the great Cáit O'Riordan playing bass and singing on Reconsider Me.

Mundy covered, with Gemma Hayes, this Warren Zevon song for his recent 'Shuffle' album.

Watch again here -

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1116081
Harry

Post by Harry »

I have an old tape of a radio one interview Cait and Elvis gave to Janice Long in the mid 80s. It turned up recently when I was having a sort out. They are reviewing the singles - they both love Julian Cope's "World Shut Your Mouth" (Costello quips he'll give up his o.b.e if it isn't a hit) and they both hate Billy Idol's "To Be A Lover". For some reason Janice Long doesn't believe Elvis when she asks him what records he plays at home and he answers Robert Palmer, Tom Waits and Madonna. Elvis and Cait both sound happy and in love.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Harry, is this the one where EC says that Queen and all their fans should be swallowed up in a big hole in the ground? If so, I remember hearing it!
Harry

Post by Harry »

I don't remember Queen getting a mention (it could have been earlier on in the show though). He says Billy Idol should join up with Sigue Sigue Sputnik. And he jokes that even when Julian Cope talks it sounds like singing. Cait talks about how she loves Van Morrison's music and that she thinks Brix (from The Fall / Adult Net) is really beautiful. I really like Cait's laugh. Janice Long and Elvis sound like they're old mates.
As a child I used to watch a show called "Swap Shop" and another called "Cheggers Plays Pop" which were both presented by Janice Long's brother Keith Chegwin. I never thought Keith "Cheggers" Chegwin was half as cool as his sister Janice and I remember being taken aback once when I saw him present an episode of Saturday Superstore whilst wearing a Blood & Chocolate sweatshirt.

Going back to Cait O'Riordan - I always quite liked her tribute to Tom Waits ("Tommy's Blue Valentine" by Pride of the Cross) and I felt pleased when I read an interview with Tom Waits in which he said he liked her song "Baby Plays Around".
The only other thing I remember is when NME's Barbera Ellen gave Mighty Like A Rose a very harsh review. Cait's song Broken was described as being like a poor man's U2 she went on to say something like "I'm all for there being more women in rock but if this is the best she can offer - isn't there some ironing or washing up she could be getting on with?" I don't think Elvis was amused.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Is that the programme where Cait rather embarrassingly started raving about all things Irish? I have a vague recollection of feeling for Elvis a bit cos she sounded so immature about it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Cait is making an appearance in the Irish version of the ' Occupy...' protests.

http://www.occupydamestreet.org/ai1ec_e ... test-music

Fri 25 Nov 5:00 Cait O Riordan on protest music
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Small World Dept. '

My cousin Órfhlaith ( 'Orla') is a writer. She e-mails me today -

I just wanted to let you know that my book SIM and me will be on The View this coming Tuesday - the 6th December.
Cait O'Riordan is one of the reviewers, plus the on-line editor of the Irish Times, Hugh Linehan

http://www.orfhlaithfoyle.com/

http://orfhlaithfoyle.blogspot.com/

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theview/
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Hope she's nice about your cousin! Do let us know.

Good typo on Hugh there!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Corrected....you're so naughty Otis!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some distorted images, taken on my 'phone from the screen, of Cait on Irish tv tonight. Image

I only made notes about the discussion of my cousin's book.
Hugh Linehan was ' unconvinced' by Orfhlaith, Cait O'Riordan found her stories ' frustrating....bitty....all surface...scraps all bundled together' but accepted John Kelly's comment that she doesn't like short stories . Declan Long was full of praise, describing O. as a 'forensic scientist of touch' and referred to the stories many locations and themes as a 'genre collision'. O. read from ' Fairy Tales'.

It should all be viewable on the shows site.
Otis Westinghouse

You'll be siding with Declan then!

Did Cait come across well?

Is Hugh L brother of Graham L and are they the sons of Rosaleen L?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The discussion was disappointing in that two of the panel, Cait 'n Hugh, seemed have not made much of an effort to
engage with Órfhlaith's book. Indeed their contribution to the rest of the show was so cliched and flippant that it would seem that they were only there for a bit of a laugh. Órfhlaith writing is evocative and engaging. The fact that it is usually about grotesque stuff can be a bit of a challenge. The fact that she is one of the nicest people I know does make that ability to conjure up such awfulness all the more admirable.

Yes, the Linehan's are all the one family - that's Ireland for you. Another - Fergus Linehan - curated the Sydney Festival that Elvis was part of it '06.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Sounds like mainstream media sound bites to me...And yet we still need to dumb it down a bit.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From a Pogues site -

Shane MacGowan on front cover(and Cait O'Riordan on back) RECORD MIRROR DEC 1985
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Sorry if this is old news, but is Cait the woman of many outfits on the cover of the 'Girls Girls Girls' double CD?
Otis Westinghouse

Don't think so, but maybe John F knows better!

Looks like Cait's on another long distance call to Elvis there...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Andrea Byrne, Helen King, Carol Lewis & Sarah Noon are the bir-, sorry, models on the Girls' cover, according to the lp sleeve.
Otis Westinghouse

Told you he would...
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://nadineoregan.wordpress.com/2013/ ... epartment/
The Breakfast Club kicks off at 8am this coming Saturday morning, with Game of Thrones actor Aidan Gillen, writer/musician Cait O’Riordan, and reviewers Eamon Sweeney and Cailan O’Connell. I hope — whether you’re still up from the night before or getting up with the lark (and the kids) — you can join us.
http://www.phantom.ie/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hmm.... I wonder will they be reviewing a certain album that's coming out this weekend...?! :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Cait O'Riordan with Roddy Doyle & the Radiators at the Electric Picnic festival on Sunday.

Cait sang Kitty Rickets with The Radiators when she was briefly part of their line-up - maybe she reprised that for this.

http://www.artscouncil.ie/News/Arts-Cou ... ic-Picnic/

Words and music go hand in hand for most Picnickers, and the Literary Tent has earned a reputation for matchmaking authors with musicians to create some of the most magical moments of the festival. Perennial favourite, Roddy Doyle, returns to the Literary Tent this year to read from his classic novel The Commitments. Joining him will be members of the legendary punk outfit, The Radiators from Space (aka Trouble Pilgrims), playing such favourites as Under Clery’s Clock and Kitty Ricketts, both penned by the late and much lamented, Philip Chevron: sometime Pogue and all-time gent.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Cáit ‘Rocky’ O’Riordan will play "with a new band" at Stag's Head in Dublin on October 12. Will you be there, Mr. Foyle?

http://www.dublinconcerts.ie/concert/ca ... 12th-2014/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Will do, thanks!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I look forward to your report. I'm trying to imagine her setlist. "I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day" and "Haunted"? "Tommy's Blue Valentine" and "Black Coffee"? "Baby Plays Around" and "Broken"? All new material?