Cait joins the Tetras , April 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Cait O'Riordan part of Shane MacGowan 60th Birthday Celebration, Jan. 15 2018

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:What is the connection between Clem Burke and Cait? He's one of my favorite drummers.
In my top three drummers too doc, AND i do NOT know their connection.
johnfoyle

Re: Cait O'Riordan part of Shane MacGowan 60th Birthday Celebration, Jan. 15 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve Nieve is going to be in the backing band. I've managed to get a ticket - hurrah !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Bound to be cancelled now, then !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A magnificent night. Cait and Steve played through the whole evening, Steve on the very left , Cait towards the right. The most emotional moment was just after the interval. With no announcement on walked Steve, followed by Sinead O'Connor. She's had a disastrous few years, all kinds of factors making it seem like she would never be on stage again. Add in the tragic news about the passing of another tormented singer Dolores O'Riordan and the reaction from the audience was just ecstatic, people feeling the need to shower her with affection. I get the feeling it was a late addition. With just Steve on piano and music director Terry Edwards on trumpet she sang " You're the One", the song Shane did with Maire Brennan for the movie Circle of Friends. Her voice was magnificent, at one point she was off mic and it was as clear and powerful as ever. Before and after and later at the finale she was all smiles etc. There was a time when she might have felt the need to start sloganising and dominate proceedings. She didn't and hopefully this is start of a process when she will regain the trust of the music industry and we can enjoy her work again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4ve0pw380

The only overtly Costello related piece was when Imelda May did Fiesta , a song from the Pogues' 1988 album If I Should Fall From Grace With God. It was based on a Spanish fairground melody overheard by Pogues member Jem Finer at the Feria de Almeria in Spain, when the band were filming Straight to Hell in 1986 , which featured Elvis in a small role. The cod Spanish lyric includes the lines

'Y Costello el rey de America
Y su esposa Cait O Riordan'

As Imelda sang that she turned to Cait , both of them with big smiles , Cait throwing her head back, long blonde hair flying in all directions.

Earlier on Cait had done Haunted, a 1986 single by The Pogues, that featured on the Sid and Nancy Soundtrack.

sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Cait is looking good unlike poor old Shane
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

In relation to Shane (not Cait) I came across this article from the Irish Times about Shane and The Pogues:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... 0?mode=amp

Too long to include the text here, but it should be free to read online.

MOOT
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I notice Shane marries his partner of 32 years the other day. I hope this doesn't mean bad news
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Cait has a couple of shows coming up with fellow Pogue Spider Stacy, who lives in New Orleans.

Man out of Time

Re: Cait has a couple of shows coming up with fellow Pogue Spider Stacy, in New Orleans, Dec. 18

Post by Man out of Time »

Fairytale Of New York on 21 December 2018 at One-Eyed Jacks, New Orleans, Louisiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lUZfV5Jlw4

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Re: Cait has a couple of shows coming up with fellow Pogue Spider Stacy, in New Orleans, Dec. 18

Interview with Cait includes:

You co-wrote about a handful of songs with Elvis Costello when you were with him, on albums like King of America, Blood & Chocolate, Spike and Mighty Like a Rose. Are any of those songs close to you or songs you’d like to perform?

No.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Next interview - are there any bass lines that Bruce played that you miss from the Imposters , Elvis ?
“And answer came there none” :wink:
Succinct and to the point from Cait it seems !
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Interview with Cait includes:

You co-wrote about a handful of songs with Elvis Costello when you were with him, on albums like King of America, Blood & Chocolate, Spike and Mighty Like a Rose. Are any of those songs close to you or songs you’d like to perform?

No.
How much of a co-writer was she?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yeah.... she's a regular poet laureate doc!! On the first two POGUES lps where she featured, she has exactly ZERO writing credits. Surely E was generous assigning her credit to that small handful of songs. I could be wrong....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:Yeah.... she's a regular poet laureate doc!! On the first two POGUES lps where she featured, she has exactly ZERO writing credits. Surely E was generous assigning her credit to that small handful of songs. I could be wrong....
I think you’re dead right BA though maybe Broken had a few lines even EC wouldn’t have committed to tape !
On my way to Sheffield where I’ll see Andrew again and pass on our messages face to face !
And No Coffee Table

Elvis has always credited Cait as the primary writer of "Baby Plays Around."

In 1989:
Cait wrote this one. I went to the store to buy a paper and when I came back she had sung it all into a tape recorder.
Also in 1989:
"Cait wrote it while I went out to buy a paper," Costello says, emphasizing how small his contribution was. "It was all there on tape. All I did was some musical editing."
In 2001:
One afternoon I went out to buy a paper and when I got back, my wife, Cait O'Riordan, had composed "Baby Plays Around." All I did was harmonise the bridge and memorise the chord sequence.
"Broken" is credited to Cait alone.

Her other co-writes are mostly songs written for soundtracks or other artists, which may mean they were written to tight deadlines:

Lovable
Tokyo Storm Warning
Punishing Kiss
Basement Kiss
Earthbound
London's Brilliant
Puppet Girl
We Despise You
My Mood Swings
I Throw My Toys Around
You Stole My Bell
The Judgement