Cait O'Riordan part of Shane MacGowan 60th Birthday Celebration, Jan. 15 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Cait O'Riordan part of Shane MacGowan 60th Birthday Celebration, Jan. 15 2018

Postby bronxapostle » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:53 pm

docinwestchester wrote:What is the connection between Clem Burke and Cait? He's one of my favorite drummers.

In my top three drummers too doc, AND i do NOT know their connection.

johnfoyle

Re: Cait O'Riordan part of Shane MacGowan 60th Birthday Celebration, Jan. 15 2018

Postby johnfoyle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 am

Steve Nieve is going to be in the backing band. I've managed to get a ticket - hurrah !

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am

Bound to be cancelled now, then !

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 am

A magnificent night. Cait and Steve played through the whole evening, Steve on the very left , Cait towards the right. The most emotional moment was just after the interval. With no announcement on walked Steve, followed by Sinead O'Connor. She's had a disastrous few years, all kinds of factors making it seem like she would never be on stage again. Add in the tragic news about the passing of another tormented singer Dolores O'Riordan and the reaction from the audience was just ecstatic, people feeling the need to shower her with affection. I get the feeling it was a late addition. With just Steve on piano and music director Terry Edwards on trumpet she sang " You're the One", the song Shane did with Maire Brennan for the movie Circle of Friends. Her voice was magnificent, at one point she was off mic and it was as clear and powerful as ever. Before and after and later at the finale she was all smiles etc. There was a time when she might have felt the need to start sloganising and dominate proceedings. She didn't and hopefully this is start of a process when she will regain the trust of the music industry and we can enjoy her work again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4ve0pw380

The only overtly Costello related piece was when Imelda May did Fiesta , a song from the Pogues' 1988 album If I Should Fall From Grace With God. It was based on a Spanish fairground melody overheard by Pogues member Jem Finer at the Feria de Almeria in Spain, when the band were filming Straight to Hell in 1986 , which featured Elvis in a small role. The cod Spanish lyric includes the lines

'Y Costello el rey de America
Y su esposa Cait O Riordan'

As Imelda sang that she turned to Cait , both of them with big smiles , Cait throwing her head back, long blonde hair flying in all directions.

Earlier on Cait had done Haunted, a 1986 single by The Pogues, that featured on the Sid and Nancy Soundtrack.

sheeptotheslaughter

Postby sheeptotheslaughter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:49 am

Cait is looking good unlike poor old Shane

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”