My Flame Burns Blue - vinyl debut on BLUE VINYL , June 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Re: My Flame Burns Blue - vinyl debut on BLUE VINYL , June 2016

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

It appears you're only missing El Mocambo, Kojak Variety, Deep Dead Blue, Extreme Honey & For The Stars as far as LP's go.
Attachments
ha.jpg
ha.jpg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 21617 times
nord

Post by nord »

I have El Mocambo, but none of the others. Extreme Honey is a Greatest Warner Hits, no? Deep Dead Blue is not really a Costello album? As for the two other albums, I did not know there were any vinyl editions. I want them.

I looked at the Wiki and found that I am missing thees albums on vinyl:
L1028689.jpg
L1028689.jpg (241.19 KiB) Viewed 21607 times
IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Post by IbMePdErRoIoAmL »

nord wrote:I have El Mocambo, but none of the others. Extreme Honey is a Greatest Warner Hits, no? Deep Dead Blue is not really a Costello album? As for the two other albums, I did not know there were any vinyl editions. I want them.

I looked at the Wiki and found that I am missing thees albums on vinyl:

L1028689.jpg
Music On Vinyl released Kojak Variety a couple years back & For The Stars was a promo-only (German?) all-autographed release. MOV also put out Extreme Honey & Deep Dead Blue (which IS, as far as I'm concerned, a proper "Costello album"). The others pictured haven't yet been released though MFSL has announced Painted From Memory as "upcoming." (And, of course, the Deluxe edition of Spinning Songbook does include a 10" EP.)
Are you certain your copy of El Mocambo is legitimate? Pirated copies outnumber true originals by at least 100 to 1.
nord

Post by nord »

Thank you.I found Kojak Variety for sale for the same price as My Flame Burns Blue. I will order that one. The others are probably too expensive. I would really like a copy of For The Stars though.
nord

Post by nord »

PS: I am almost certain that my copy of El Mocambo is a pirate one. Bought it cheap on eBay. It is not important for me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nord wrote:PS: I am almost certain that my copy of El Mocambo is a pirate one. Bought it cheap on eBay. It is not important for me.
not terribly concerned which i have, these nearly 40 years later, but i do wonder sometimes. does anyone that have one of each feel like putting them side by side so the rest of us can figure it out at last? thanks, benny
nord

Post by nord »

When I took those pictures of the Costello albums it was because I remembered that I took a picture of my album collection in 1985/86 just like that.
I have now found that picture. At my feet is a copy of NME from nov 1985: The greatest records ever made? NME names its top 100 lps.
There are lots of Bowie and The Clash albums, and some Costello. But surprisingly little of The Beatles. Those four are still my favourites.

I can see: REM, U2, Tom Petty, The Smiths, Tom Waits, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground, The Doors, Marc Bolan, Sex Pistols, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Kraftwerk, John Lennon, Roxy Music, The Style Council, The Jam, Nick Lowe.
Lots of old music for a kid born in 1969.
Attachments
2017-07-06-0010-3.jpg
2017-07-06-0010-3.jpg (212.53 KiB) Viewed 21157 times
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That chart from 1985 is reproduced here -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... r_30,_1985
But surprisingly little of The Beatles.
Yes, The Beatles were passe for a while in the 1980s , sparking this Falklands related comment on the 1974 chart -

(extract)

This is not the first time that the NME has hung out its favourite shirts in public. The same exercise, 100 Best LPs, was published in June 1974 and comparisons between the two are fascinating.

Even allowing for the fact that the '74 Poll was conducted before both punk and the growing awareness of Third World music had stiffened the critical sinew towards rock music that bought its trousers by the acre, it's hard not to be just a little astonished at some of the drivel lurking in it.

Jethro Tull (the singing Growbag), Yes (pre-Trevor Horn), James Taylor's vinyl anaesthetic, the Pink Floyd LP that always sounded like they wore rubber gloves recording it, yes, they're all here. And lurking in the equal (?) number one spot, a full seven years after the joke wasn't funny anymore, is The Beatles' Exocet to the very heart of rock music, the stupendously over-rated and ultimately damaging Sergeant Pepper's... . Oh well, we all make mistakes.
nord

Post by nord »

I meant there were surprisingly little Beatles albums in my collection. As I remember it I had a complete collection of The Beatles by then, but not if I should trust the picture. But, yes, The Beatles where at their lowest critical status then.

Only John Lennon was accepted then. In fact it took me until a few years ago to discover Paul McCartney solo and Wings from the 70´s, and his records from that time are spectacular.

I think I doubled my album collection in 1986 after that picture. Complete Prince and Joy Division among others. I can remember a Joy Division t-shirt which I thought was very "retro" at the time.
nord

Post by nord »

L1009932-2.jpg
L1009932-2.jpg (237.81 KiB) Viewed 20830 times
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nice !
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

nord wrote:L1009932-2.jpg
You badly need one more! :lol:
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Great deal on this off of Deep Discount, only $9.70. Use the code FIREWORK15 for an additional 15% off:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/my-flame-b ... 8947960621