My Flame Burns Blue - vinyl debut on BLUE VINYL , June 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

This is from Billboard.com :
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1001526470

Costello Planning Symphony Tour, Live CD

Elvis Costello is planning a world symphony tour with longtime collaborator Steve Nieve. Dates have not yet been confirmed for the outing, which is expected to launch early in January.

The pair will be joined by local orchestras throughout the tour, which will feature a suite from "Il Sogno," Costello's inaugural full-length orchestral work, originally commissioned by the Italian dance company Aterbaletto, and recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra. Also to be included are songs arranged for voice, piano and orchestra by Costello, Nieve, Sy Johnson, Bill Frisell and Vince Mendoza.

In that vein, a July 2004 performance by Costello with the Metropole Orkest will be released Feb. 24 via Deutsche Grammophon as "My Flame Turns Blue." Captured at the North Sea Jazz Festival in the Netherlands, the concert found the artist joined by the 52-piece jazz orchestra to perform songs from his catalog and several previously unrecorded works. The group also joined Costello for a New York performance later in the month.

Among the offerings are versions of Costello's "Clubland" and "Watching the Detectives," his lyrical version of Charles Mingus' "Hora Decubitus" and the title track, which features lyrics he wrote for Billy Strayhorn's final composition, "Blood Count." The set also includes performances of "Speak Darkly, My Angel," "Can You Be True?" and "Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue," none of which have previously appeared on an official Costello release. A bonus disc features a 45-minute suite from "Il Sogno."

"This record may explain what I've been doing during the last 12 years when I haven't had an electric guitar in my hands," Costello writes in the disc's liner notes.

As first reported here, Costello is slated to head into the studio this week to begin a collaboration with songwriter/arranger/pianist Allen Toussaint. Joe Henry will produce the album for Verve Records.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verena

Post by verena »

Thanks Pole.

Billboard quotes a sentence from the forthcoming disk's liner notes ("This record may explain what I've been doing during the last 12 years when I haven't had an electric guitar in my hands" ). But how come Billboard has the notes already, if the disc is going to be released next year on Feb. 24 ?

Does that mean that there will be no electric guitar in the music ? I love electric guitar...

PS : Feb. 24 is my birthday ! :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php ... ece_jazz_o

Elvis Costello Live With 52-piece Jazz Orchestra

On February 28, 2006, Deutsche Grammophon will release Elvis Costello's 'My Flame Burns Blue,' a live album with the legendary Metropole Orkest, a 52-piece jazz orchestra from The Netherlands, as recorded in concert at The Hague. A bonus disc offers a forty-five minute suite from "Il Sogno," Costello's first full length, orchestral work.

The album alternates between imaginatively reinvented Costello favorites like "Almost Blue," "Clubland" and "Watching the Detectives" (arranged "in the style of a 1950s television theme"), Costello compositions seeing release for the first time on a Costello album and unexpected collaborations. "This recording captures a very joyful evening at the North Sea Jazz Festival and collects together songs and arrangements that have been developed over the last decade," writes Costello in his detailed liner notes.

For the opening track, "Hora Decubitus," Costello was invited by Charles Mingus's widow, Sue, to contribute lyrics to the jazzman's compositions. This song was completed in the immediate aftermath of September 11. "I could offer nothing more than a simple affirmation of life and rejection of vengeance," writes Costello. For the title track, Costello also wrote lyrics for Billy Strayhorn's final composition, "Blood Count."

Other highlights seeing release on a Costello album for the first time include "Speak Darkly, My Angel," "Can You Be True?" and "Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue," which was written for and recorded by west coast bluesman Charles Brown as "I Wonder How She Knows."

"Il Sogno" was originally commissioned by the Italian Dance Company, Aterbaletto, for their adaptation of Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream.' Following its premiere in Bologna with the Orchestra del Teatro Communale, the ballet was staged throughout Italy, Germany, France and Russia. 'Il Sogno' was subsequently recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra, and conducted by Michael Tilson-Thomas. The recording was released in September 2004 by Deutsche Grammophon and stayed at the top of Billboard's Contemporary Classical Charts for fourteen weeks.

'Il Sogno' received rave reviews upon its release (click here for Starpulse's 4-star review). Mark Swed at The Los Angeles Times declared, "Costello's sound is surprisingly fresh. His melodies are memorable. The sudden swings into jazz prove pure delight... [The performance is] bursting with life." The Boston Globe's Richard Dyer proclaimed, "You'd have to go back to George Gershwin to find a composer-performer undertaking a project as ambitious as 'Il Sogno'... It is full of character and storytelling, and the orchestration is skillful, unusual, and colorful."

In January 2006, Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve will begin a worldwide tour of symphony halls performing with local orchestras. The concerts consist of a suite from "Il Sogno" followed by songs arranged for voice, piano and orchestra by Costello, Sy Johnson, Bill Frisell, Vince Mendoza and Steve Nieve.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters made their South American debut in October 2005 with a series of appearances in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires. They hope to record again in 2006.

Yes, you read it right: they hope to record again in 2006!! (And this means that they will not record with EC and Allen Toussaint)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' PR people tell the same tale -

http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecoste ... 22_05.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =music&no=*

My Flame Burns Blue [IMPORT]
Elvis Costello

Audio CD (January 17, 2006)

Label: (label name not provided)
Format: Import

ASIN: B000CBNZ18
Amazon.com Sales Rank: None
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =music&no=*

Elvis Costello

Maybe it's released earlier where the symphony tour kicks off: Australia and Japan? So that the release falls together with the concerts.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =music&no=*

Elvis Costello

Maybe it's released earlier where the symphony tour kicks off: Australia and Japan? So that the release falls together with the concerts.
I guessed right: the site identifies it now as a japanese import (with a bonustrack). See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

Album Description
Japanese pressing includes bonus CD with 1 bonus track. Gramophon. 2005.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

While we're waiting for this album, some of you may be interested in this FM broadcast of a concert by the Metrepole Orchestra with Herbie Hancock, last January, that's being torrented at the moment.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=71618
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The 'Deutsche Grammophon' website has now march 2006 as a release date:

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/

Deutsche Grammophon
Int. Release: March 2006

2 CD 477 596-1
Elvis Costello
Elvis Costello ¿ My Flame Burns Blue
Elvis Costello
Live with the Metropole Orkest
from the North Sea Festival
+ Bonus: Il Sogno Suite (edited version)
LSO, Michael Tilson Thomas

And Amazon has now january 16, 2003 as a Japanese release date?! (Strange)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

My Flame Burns Blue also available on cduniverse. See:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 6963&BAB=E
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

John E. has this for the new album's cover -

http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... b/mfbb.jpg

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' PR site have an even bigger picture of the sleeve -

http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecostello/index.html

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I like it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

According to this http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/a-few- ... tml?page=5
My Flame Burns Blue will be released in Australia on January 8.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Strewth mate, here's the HMV Australia link

http://www.hmv.com.au/product/rockpop.asp?sku=-993688
Catalogue: 4775961
Format: CD
Released: 9 Jan 2006
Label: DEUTSCHEGRAMOPHONE
Price: A$29.99 (Incl. GST)
US $20.53 / GBP£11.77 GST

TRACK LISTING
  Disc 1
1 HORA DECUBITUS
2 FAVOURITE HOUR
3 THAT'S HOW YOU GOT KILLED BEFORE
4 UPON A VEIL OF MIDNIGHT BLUE
5 CLUBLAND
6 ALMOST BLUE
7 SPEAK DARKLY MY ANGEL
8 ALMOST IDEAL EYES
9 CAN YOU BE TRUE?
10 PUT AWAY FORBIDDEN PLAYTHINGS
11 EPISODE OF BLONDE
12 MY FLAME BURNS BLUE (BLOOD COUNT)
13 WATCHING THE DETECTIVES
14 GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH
  Disc 2
1 COSTELLO: PRELUDE ?IL SOGNO / ACT 1? - EDIT
2 COSTELLO: OVERTURE ?IL SOGNO / ACT 1? - EDIT
3 COSTELLO: PUCK ONE ?IL SOGNO / ACT 1? - EDIT
4 COSTELLO: THE COURT ?IL SOGNO / ACT 1? - EDIT
5 COSTELLO: WORKERS' PLAYTIME ?IL SOGNO / ACT 1? - E
6 COSTELLO: OBERON AND TITANIA ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2?
7 COSTELLO: THE CONSPIRACY OF OBERON AND PUCK ?IL SO
8 COSTELLO: PUCK TWO ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2? - EDIT
9 COSTELLO: THE IDENTITY PARADE ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2?
10 COSTELLO: THE FACE OF BOTTOM ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2?
11 COSTELLO: THE SPARK OF LOVE ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2? - E
12 COSTELLO: TORMENTRESS ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2? - EDIT
13 COSTELLO: OBERON HUMBELD ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2? - EDIT
14 COSTELLO: TWISTED - ENTANGLED - TRANSFORM AND EXCH
15 COSTELLO: THE FAIRY AND THE ASS ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2?
16 COSTELLO: SLEEP ?IL SOGNO / ACT 2? - EDIT
17 COSTELLO: THE PLAY ?IL SOGNO / ACT 3? - EDIT
18 COSTELLO: THE WEDDING ?IL SOGNO / ACT 3? - EDIT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The following six tracks from the complete Il Sogno are left out:

track 05: The State of Affairs
track 06: Hermia and Lysander
track 07: The Jealousy of Helena
track 11: Slumber
track 21: Bottom Awakes
track 22: Lovers Arise

I'm going to listen to these tracks and try to find out why these were chosen (less accessible maybe?)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Notice that "Dust" is missing from disc 1. Perhaps that's the Japanese bonus track?
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Having had the chance to take a listen to this, I must say it is spectacular. The ballads are goosebumps-inducing stuff; the upbeat songs are fun and even downright odd at times (the Clubland "cha-cha" most notably). The arrangements are simply amazing and I look forward to its official release. I hope to hear something similar when he and the Boston Pops play in Beantown! Frankly I could do without the Il Sogno stuff, but I suppose I must deal, right?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

In the new issue of ICE magazine, the release date of this CD is listed as Feb 24th.

Incidentally, they also state that the EC/Allen Toussaint disc can probably be expected sometime in May.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Another announcement of the new album:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 122905.DTL

Best Of 2006?
Getting a head start

February 28

Elvis Costello, My Flame Burns Blue (Deutsche Grammophon). This live set, recorded in concert with the 52-piece Metropole Orkest at the North Sea Jazz Festival at the Hague in the Netherlands, features Costello putting lyrics to music by Charles Mingus ("Horas Decubitus") and Billy Strayhorn ("Blood Count") and performing such classics as "Almost Blue," "Clubland" and "Watching the Detectives," and, on a bonus disc, a 45-minute suite from Il Sogno, Costello's first attempt at a major orchestral composition
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon.com has now the US version of the album:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The first review:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/cd-review ... 57726.html

My Flame Burns Blue: Live with the Metropole Orkest

Elvis Costello teams up with a Dutch jazz orchestra to reinterpret his repertoire.

Lou Reed penned a curt dismissal of his detractors on the sleeve of his most radical album, 1975's Metal Machine Music: ''My week beats your year.'' Similarly disdainful of critics, Elvis Costello's My Flame Burns Blue might be read as an equivalent riposte to those who would categorise and contain him.

This latest leap is all the more staggering for the fact that it's merely what the artist did on his holidays: a repertoire of his songs both well-known and obscure, meticulously rearranged for a live stand with a Dutch jazz orchestra. The Metropole Orkest show included a string section as well as Costello's faithful pianist Steve Nieve, so the scope is vast - from the relative simplicity of the late-era Attractions' ballad, Favourite Hour, to a howling and barking jazz nightmare version of Episode of Blonde.

It's not an occasion for '80s-new-wave purists. The sumptuous orchestral version of Almost Blue is reasonably faithful to Costello's Imperial Bedroom recording but Clubland gets a samba swing makeover with swirling circus interjections where the guitar hook used to be. Watching the Detectives is arguably the song it always wanted to be, a fantastic '50s film noir theme that dumps the reggae feel of the original in a thick fog of horns.

Some of Costello's jazz influences are specific: Hora Decubitus is a Charles Mingus composition with his own lyrics, while the title track adapts a Duke Ellington recording. If there's a default position though, it's the epic torch song Costello perfected with Burt Bacharach in '95. Their first co-write, God Give Me Strength, closes the show but a few previously unreleased ballads are highlights, especially the cinematic Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue and the unsettling Speak Darkly My Angel.

The depth of the orchestrations, variously arranged by Costello, Nieve and others, means this is an album that yields new treasures the longer you care to dig. It also comes with a bonus disc - a 46-minute suite from Il Sogno, Costello's score to an Italian dance adaptation of Shakespeare recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra. Just in case you felt he was treading water.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Let me at it!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

The album is in Australian shops NOW!!

Great sleeve artwork and presentation notes etc.

Very much looking forward to flinging it in the jukebox in no time at all.
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

DG now have this info.-

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/
(put Costello in search engine)

COSTELLO My Flame Burns Blue / Mendoza

Track Listing
2 CDs 477 596-1

CD 1: Costello: My Flame Burns Blue

Charles Mingus (1922 - 1979)