Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall and Elvis , 2005

Post by johnfoyle »

http://toronto.cbc.ca/story/arts/nation ... 50815.html

Canada Post, Diana Krall help mark Oscar Peterson's 80th birthday
Last Updated Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:34:05 EDT
CBC Arts

For the first time ever, a living Canadian has been honoured with a postage stamp. On Monday hundreds of fans crowded into a downtown Toronto music store to see Canada Post formally unveil its new Oscar Peterson stamp. They also saw Diana Krall and husband Elvis Costello offer their own tribute to Peterson.

It was a special 80th birthday tribute to Canada's legendary jazz pianist. Peterson said he always considered himself proud to be a Canadian, "But to have the honour of this stamp issued in my likeness goes beyond my wildest dreams."

Diana Krall told how, as a teenager, she had first seen Peterson performing with Ella Fitzgerald and how it had changed her life. Krall performed a Peterson instrumental with lyrics penned specially by Costello, then led the crowd in a jazzy rendition of Happy Birthday.

After the cake cutting, Peterson surprised everyone by playing a number he wrote entitled Requiem, which he called a tribute to the many jazz artists who have died in recent years.

The 50-cent stamp, a large version of which was presented to Peterson, bears a sepia-coloured photo of the smiling musician with a keyboard motif behind him. He said he didn't have much room left on his wall for awards, but would definitely find room for this one.

Four million of the stamps and 500,000 souvenir sheets have been printed and went on sale immediately. After a 50-year career in music, Peterson is regarded as one of the world's greatest jazz pianists.

He first learned music from his father, a West Indian immigrant who worked at CN Rail as a porter. Early breaks came when he won a CBC Radio amateur contest, followed by appearances on the Happy Gang variety show.

Peterson was discovered performing in a Montreal club in the 1940s, played Carnegie Hall in 1949 and has performed with the likes of Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Charlie Parker and Duke Ellington. He's recorded more than 300 albums. He was made a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1984, has two Juno Awards and seven Grammys -- including the 1997 Lifetime Achievement Award -- as well as several honorary doctorates from educational institutions in both Canada and the United States.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

More pics/ clips in this thread
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.mississauganews.com/mi/news/ ... 8036c.html

Jazz diva Diana Krall and her husband, rocker Elvis Costello, watched raptly as Oscar Peterson performed at his birthday party yesterday.

( extract)

He received a heartfelt standing ovation when he finished, a tribute led by Krall, who admitted to being as nervous as a school girl as she debuted a unique tribute to her mentor.

Costello had fashioned new lyrics to When Summer Comes, a waltz the seven-time Grammy winner wrote a couple of years ago.

Before she played, Krall explained how a performance she saw as a young woman by Peterson, accompanying Ella Fitzgerald, transformed her future.

"Life was never the same from that day on," said Krall who immediately went out and bought the Night Train LP, to which she still listens. "You are always with me and my band," she said.

Later, a nonplused Krall explained her nerves to reporters: "I'm at a complete loss. This is a really big deal for me. He's my hero."

Costello's lyrics to When Summer Comes speak of the losses of winter but also of the new blooms that spring carries, "in every shade of hope."

He told The News that the remarks Peterson made about the deaths of so many jazz giants in a telephone conversation they had prompted the moody piece.

"That guided me really," said the singer and songwriter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 69-3301436

Let the World Sing (A Royal Wedding Suite)
Oscar Peterson

Audio CD (May 6, 1998)

Label: Original Jazz Classics
ASIN: B00000605K
Catalogue Number: OJCCD9732

Track

3. When Summer Comes
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

scielle wrote:Image

More pics/ clips in this thread
I like that nice ass grab...
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is the guy on the right of the picture looking at Diana's ass?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

OMG! For real, VG... But hey, how did you notice without you yourself looking at her ass? C'mon, tell the truth. LOL. Maybe, we're both wrong and he's looking at Elvis' ass. Oh my....... :o
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
verbal gymnastics

Miss Macbeth wrote:OMG! For real, VG... But hey, how did you notice without you yourself looking at her ass? C'mon, tell the truth. LOL.
All in the interests of research for my fellow Board members! :lol:
Miss Macbeth wrote:Maybe, we're both wrong and he's looking at Elvis' ass. Oh my....... :o
I think he's waiting to see what Elvis' left hand gets up to :wink:
migdd

Post by migdd »

I admit it. . .I was looking at her ass.

There, I said it. . .I feel much better now. . .
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

While EC's in Toronto, maybe he could do a gig.
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

The first step to solving your problem is admitting that you have a problem, migdd. I've been through this before, can you tell, lol.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

normabuel wrote:While EC's in Toronto, maybe he could do a gig.
You know, I was thinking the same thing. It seems like he's been here 3 or 4 times in the last year for random things but not shows.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

There are a few regular posters here from Toronto, but I guess it isn't enough for an accurate statistical sampling of EC fans there. I'm guessing that there are no promoters up there that want to pay him to do a show.

In another thread from about a year ago, someone had posted a link that indicated that you could hire EC yourself for about $50,000 (I am guessing that's US dollars). Maybe a few of you could get together and finance a show. (You could either become concert promoters and charge admission, or just have him play for you privately. In the latter case, I am guessing you could request a few songs for the set list.)
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I would say Elvis is as popular here as he is in any other major North American city... Toronto is about as big on culture as New York or Chicago or L.A. And for a while, he was playing here pretty regularly... certainly once a year.

I'm sure he'll turn up eventually.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

normabuel wrote:While EC's in Toronto, maybe he could do a gig.
Judging from the picture he's got his hands full :lol:
scielle

Post by scielle »

Judging from the picture he's got his hands full
Yeah, no kidding:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/gallery ... niversal16

(From Bill King's gallery)

Last edited by scielle on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Scielle posted this on the Krall forum -

Here are the lyrics as published in Toronto Star:

WHEN SUMMER COMES

(music by Oscar Peterson
new lyrics by Elvis Costello
played and sung yesterday by Diana Krall)

The land was white
While the winter moon was absent from the night
And the blackness only pierced by far off stars
But as every day still succeeds the darkest moments we have known
When seasons turn
Springtime colours will return
And as the first pale flowers of the lengthening hours
Seem to brighten the twilight and that melancholy cloak
Then a fresh perfume just seems to burst from each bloom
Until the green shoots through each day
As it arrives in every shade of hope
When summer comes
There will be a dream of peace
And a breath that I've held so long that I can barely release
Then perhaps I may even find a room somewhere
Just a place I can still speak to you
verbal gymnastics

scielle wrote:
Judging from the picture he's got his hands full
Yeah, no kidding:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/gallery ... niversal16

(From Bill King's gallery)
I think Diana has got something in her eye!
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Naaa, VG, prolly just a zit.

It's sweet though how he's gonna get it for her.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Here's what Oscar Peterson himself had to say about the event via his online journal:

http://www.oscarpeterson.com/op/journal33.html

We returned home at the end of July and during August celebrated my 80th birthday at home in Mississauga. This homecoming included a memorable visit with two dear friends, Elvis Costello and Diana Krall, along with Mayor McCallion (a treasured friend), all of whom were present for the presentation to me by the people of Canada Post of a stamp bearing my likeness. This was staged at the HMV site in Toronto, and was attended seemingly by half of Toronto's population. This was a great tribute, needless to say, which was enhanced by the visit of these two talented people. The presentation was attended by many of my musical Toronto friends such as Phil Nimmons, Dave Young (who is now a member of my quartet), Dave Broadfoot and numerous other local notables in the entertainment and performance fields. This was a great honor and was heightened by the presence of these musical dignitaries and friends of mine.

At the close of the presentation and later in the evening, some of these wonderful friends returned to my home in Mississauga and we spent a fantastic evening enhanced by musical memories and opinions. The evening was topped off (in my view) by an unexpected musical period that arose with the spontaneous piano playing by Ebe Gilkes (my Barbadian buddy), whose pianistic talents I happen to admire. This was followed by a period of reminiscence on behalf of Elvis, Ebe, Diana and other guests, along with yours truly, of recalling some of the early Nat Cole tunes. This went quite a ways back in musical history and brought back many, many pleasant memories of various musical personalities. Diana was gracious in performing several wonderful tunes, both vocally and pianistically to the delight of the gathered guests, who needless to say, bathed themselves in this unforgettable musical period of jazz. I must say that I am most proud of the fact that Diana performed not only at our home, but also at the earlier presentation of the stamp, a composition of mine titled "When Summer Comes," which she and Elvis composed lyrics for. This whole evening was filled with musical and personal reminiscences that all of the guests, along with yours truly, enjoyed and treasured. I would like to personally thank Diana and Elvis, Scott Morin of Verve Records, Ebe Gilkes and Russell Croney (my Barbadian buddies), for making this birthday the most memorable one to date, obviously highlighted by the honor of the striking of the stamp by Canada Post. It is a date in my life that I shall never forget, and will forever be thankful for.

verbal gymnastics

Thanks scielle. I think it's fair to say Oscar enjoyed his 80th birthday.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

It's good to see elvis happy again. I hope it'll last.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

scielle

Post by scielle »

Oscar's online journal entry from less than a month ago is a hello that now sadly reads as a goodbye -
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
WELCOME TO MY NEW BEGINNING!

Hello Friends,

Let me first welcome you to the new "oscarpeterson.com". I hope that you enjoy the changes that a talented team took their time and effort to accomplish. I would like to apologize for my absence for the last while. Things got very busy both with business and personal duties.

I am very happy to say I am back. Let me assure you that I will try my best to keep up with providing you with new Journal entries, and updates on what I am doing. I am looking forward to it...

Thank you for your continued support throughout the years of my career.

Love and God Bless,
Oscar Peterson.

The Nov. feature on DK in Jazziz magazine - titled The Importance of Being Oscar - talks extensively about OP. Full article here:
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... nce#111292

Image Image
Last edited by scielle on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
scielle

Re: Oscar Peterson dies at 82

Post by scielle »

The following was posted today by Oscar's wife and daughter on the on the official Oscar Peterson website.

IN MEMORIAM
Oscar Emmanuel Peterson
August 25 1925 - December 23 2007

A Message from Kelly & Celine Peterson:

We would like to thank everyone who has sent their condolences, and the hundreds of you who sent e-mail messages. We appreciate it very much. There will be a public memorial service in the near future, and we will provide all the details right here once everything has been decided. For anyone who would like to make donations, we ask you to please make them to World Vision or Christian Children's Fund in honour of Oscar Peterson. Thank you once again for all your love and support. May God Bless his Soul!

In 2004 The Late Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen suggested that Oscar write lyrics to "When Summer Comes". In 2005 when Niels passed away, Oscar persued this and asked Elvis Costello to write lyrics. On Oscar's 80th Birthday event, Diana Krall sang the lyrics that Elvis wrote. Oscar loved the lyrics, and we thought it would be fitting to have them here for others to enjoy.

When Summer Comes
Music by Oscar Peterson
Lyrics by Elvis Costello
Originally Performed by Diana Krall

The land was white
While the winter moon as absent from the night
And the blackness only pierced by far off stars
But as every day still succeeds the darkest moments we have known
When season turn
Springtime colours will return
And as the first pale flowers of the lengthening hours
Seem to brighten the twilight and that melancholy cloak
Then a fresh perfume just seems to burst from each bloomÂ
Until the green shoots through each day
As it arrives in every shade of hope
When Summer Comes
There will be a dream of peace
And a breath that I've held so long that I can barely release
Then perhaps I may even find a room somewhere
Just a place I can still speak to you
http://oscarpeterson.com/news/
scielle

Re: Oscar Peterson dies at 82

Post by scielle »

According to Canadian Press, Diana performed When Summer Comes at Oscar Peterson's funeral on Friday.

Also, CBC had Diana live on the phone from Nanaimo on Christmas Eve, in a really wonderful and touching conversation about Oscar.
Runs ~13 min. - talks about her memories of spending time with OP, about how When Summer Comes came to be, about Oscar meeting the twins.
Quite a poignant and personal conversation.

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/asithappens_20071228_4312.mp3
2007-12-24 Obituary for Oscar Peterson
Musician Diana Krall remembers her friend, jazz legend Oscar Peterson who died December 23rd, 2007. He was 82.