Goodbye Cruel World

Pretty self-explanatory
millen

Goodbye Cruel World

Post by millen »

I just bought this album yesterday and after preparing myself for how dated it must sound and how weak the songs must be, I'm pleasantly surprised. Because although there are a few songs on there with a very 80-ish keyboard sound, that's all. Three or four songs, and they actually don't sound all that dated because of the rest of the music.
I really like this album. More already than Punch The Clock.

I don't understand how Elvis could call this his worst. Must be his mood and the memories. Or he was aiming for perfection.
Zombies man, they freak me out.
whar

Post by whar »

I love the album. I'm glad you gave it a shot.
Oy with the poodles, already!
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

whar wrote:I love the album. I'm glad you gave it a shot.
I feel the same. This record is his most underrated. It's a combination of smart pop, soul and strong emotions, which makes it Get Happy !!'s cousin and Trust's nephew (and my best friend). This record really gives you an accurate account of Elvis's actual state, because some of us may beleive he was the happiest man on the world after hearing Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock's happy 80's pop sound. This album also serves as a bridge between Elvis's Pop days (Trust [somewhat], Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock) and his ultimate transformation into the musical mastermind we know today (later developping KoA). A must have!
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

A weak album with a couple of good songs, really.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

RinghioStarr wrote:A weak album with a couple of good songs, really.
"Weak" and "Elvis costello album" can never be placed in the same sentence (Except 4: An elvis costello album can never be weak and my sentence).
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

In the next sentence I will tell you about Costello's Goodbye Cruel World.

It's weak.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Brilliant! :roll: Repeat the same arguement, still not giving any rhyme or reason as to why! You must do this for a living... Anyways, I like this album too. I agree with most of whats been said about it already, but I really like it because its fun to listen to. I love IB, but it drains me. This is just a light, simple album that you can put in when company's over and not make them hate you. Fun, simplictic, poorly-produced 80's pop. Not the most outstanding album in Mr. Costello's catalogue, but still good.
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Very smart.

"I was really trying to explain".
whar

Post by whar »

The album has some of his very best vocals/lyrics, as well as very best overall tracks.. "Joe Porterhouse" is legendary.

I have no problems with the production.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I odolize you, whar. You are the only person who in this board whom I know who can look beyond production mumbo-jumbo and see GCW for what it's really worth. Kudos.
Last edited by Extreme Honey on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

P.S: Ringhiostarr, nice one, I am humbly beaten...
Last edited by Extreme Honey on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whar

Post by whar »

Sadly, I think my ability to look beyond production comes from pure ignorance.

I listen for Elvis's voice and words,
The only album I have production problems with is "Spike"- that's because Elvis sounds "robotic" to me.

I never really understood the quibbles about Brutal Youth's production, either.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I dont really get the problem wuth BY either. Sure, its rough, but it works for that batch of songs. My only problem with GCW's production is how poorly all the insturment and vocal parts blend. All of the other Attractions stuff (and the recent stuff! I dont want to get jumped!) sounds more cohesive, for example like that bass part was written for that piano part. On this album it sounds a bit like they jsut started throwing out bars of music and calling it good enough. Its not really a bad effect, but its not as appealing as the more together stuff. I could see how someone would call it weak, but I certainly dont agree!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It just sounds cheesy to me, for the most part.

Goodbye Cruel World is probably the album I listen to the least. I know others on the forum have complained about Get Happy!! and Brutal Youth but I've never had problems with those. Spike and Punch The Clock took a little getting used to, but eventually I got really into them. But aside from a few tracks, I'm not too sure about Goodbye Cruel World.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:It just sounds cheesy to me, for the most part.

Goodbye Cruel World is probably the album I listen to the least. I know others on the forum have complained about Get Happy!! and Brutal Youth but I've never had problems with those. Spike and Punch The Clock took a little getting used to, but eventually I got really into them. But aside from a few tracks, I'm not too sure about Goodbye Cruel World.
There are some quality songs on there (e.g. "Love Field", "The Comedians") and a few real stinkers, but the slick 1980s production sounds so dated now. I remember seeing him do "I Wanna Be Loved" (a song that's always made me cringe) a few years ago in Newark, and it was a revelation. They played it almost as a Motown tune and it was so much more effective. On GCW it just sounds so wimpy.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Agreed. When I saw Elvis & Steve a few years ago they did "Home Truth" and "Inch by Inch," and both sounded WAY better stripped down to the bare bones.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Inch By Inch always reminds me very much (maybe too much) of "16 Tons".
whar

Post by whar »

My latest post really annoys me. I only posted it to take myself down a peg, honestly... and I'm not sure why.

Anywho, I've been listening to this album pretty much non-stop since its Rhino release. The only tracks I can't really stand are Love Field and I Wanna Be Loved- the first is too dull, the second is too depressing.

I love The Only Flame In Town more and more every time I hear it.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

whar wrote:My latest post really annoys me. I only posted it to take myself down a peg, honestly... and I'm not sure why.

Anywho, I've been listening to this album pretty much non-stop since its Rhino release. The only tracks I can't really stand are Love Field and I Wanna Be Loved- the first is too dull, the second is too depressing.

I love The Only Flame In Town more and more every time I hear it.
There's a live version stashed in my Zen Micro that's real good. It might be on the re-issue. It's an accoustic version and I love it.
whar

Post by whar »

Yesss, I know the version.

For whatever reason I can't get into a slower "The Only Flame In Town" though. I love the instrumental 'punches' on the real version, and Elvis's faster paced vocal.

On an unrelated note- I heard an incredible live solo version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", that I believe is from the 1984 solo tours, with the entire crowd singing the little instrumental hook.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

whar wrote:My latest post really annoys me.
Now you know how we feel! :lol:

I would say Love Field is my favourite track on the album but I much prefer the sparse solo versions of the songs. Love Field on piano to me is more soulful.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

whar wrote:Sadly, I think my ability to look beyond production comes from pure ignorance.

I listen for Elvis's voice and words
Oooh, me too! I love GCW though, I think it's sadly underrated! I love all Elvis though. It's not my favorite, but I play it more often than I do Trust. I don't know why I neglect Trust so much, and find myself listening to IB, GCW, KoA, GH, TL and PTC more than any others. Even Armed Forces, which I love too.

Jill (who really loves the Bsides compilation Taking Liberties)
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

jillbeast wrote:
whar wrote:Sadly, I think my ability to look beyond production comes from pure ignorance.

I listen for Elvis's voice and words
Oooh, me too! I love GCW though, I think it's sadly underrated! I love all Elvis though. It's not my favorite, but I play it more often than I do Trust. I don't know why I neglect Trust so much, and find myself listening to IB, GCW, KoA, GH, TL and PTC more than any others. Even Armed Forces, which I love too.

Jill (who really loves the Bsides compilation Taking Liberties)
They're all great albums...but Elvis, contrary to popular beleif, has also released incredible albums in his 90's. MLAR, ATUB, BY, and PFM rank as some of my favourites. There's not enough 90's lovers these days!