Love Hurts

Pretty self-explanatory
normabuel

Love Hurts

Post by normabuel »

Is anyone famliar with this song?

Apparently, when EC and EmmyLou Harris appear on Letterman on the 21st, that is what they are going to sing. From an e-mail from Lost Highway:

"Elvis Costello & Emmylou Harris will perform on The Late Show with David Letterman on July 21st singing "Love Hurts""
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Graham Parsons and Emmylou did an excellent version. The Everlys also did it - it's a Felice and Boudleaux Bryant song.

Nazareth did a really terrible, but very popular version.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis once said of Pet Sounds that even if all record players were to get broken today, people would still be singing those songs. The same could be said of "Love Hurts." It's one of those quintessential ballads that has easy crossover appeal.

I'm sure you'd know it if you heard it, though hopefully not from Nazareth, as mood swung mentioned :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

I do know the Nazareth song. It crossed my mind for about one nanosecond that it could be a cover of that song, and dismissed it.

I haven't heard any of the other versions you mentioned.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Hey, it crossed my mind for a bit too, but I thought surely not the same song. That's what I get for being young and uncultured.
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Well, at least you've got "young" going for you, I suppose I'm just uncultured! Anyway, I'm sure they'll play it at Summerstage next Tuesday.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Nazareth's version is not only an abomination in itself, it also spawned the monster that is Axl Rose. He sang with a perfectly clear voice in his pre-Guns band until they chose to cover Love Hurts Nazareth-style, and being urged on to sing it with a highpitched rasp like Dan McCafferty. He got more chicks with that voice, he said, so he stuck with it.

One thing I thought Club Date had going for it was that E&E didn't do the obvious Love Hurts there. I fear Elvis is going to wail it to pieces, like he did with the Clarksdale Dark End Of The Street.

Ah well at least it's not Dan and Axl duetting. :cry:
What this world needs is more silly men.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I'm quite partial to the up beat Jim Capaldi version, from 75 (ish).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Branst

Post by Branst »

Jimmy Webb & Harry Nilsson did a pretty good cover of "Love Hurts" together. It's worth checking out if you're a fan of the song.
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I only know the Naz version, but I think it's not bad. Ok, I'm a fool I admit it. I'm sure other versions are better. Funny story about Axl Rose.
Mikeh

Love Hurts

Post by Mikeh »

Don McLean did a great version........why are you all staring at me like that? I LIKE Don McLean!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Is it ok to like Don McLean's Vincent ?

Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray...

:D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Everybody loves him, baby; what's the matter with you? etc.

It's not OK to dislike Vincent. Even NOFX's punk version is beautiful.

And what a great buildup to your Gold In Them Hills quote too! It could be the same song/painting. (Vincent is more Ron than Ron.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Why are people afraid to admit they like certain music? If you like it, it is OK. People may disagree, but so what! You don't need the board's approval. Lots of people don't like Elvis Costello! Or only like "the old stuff." If you like Don McClean, great, or Naz's version of Love Hurts, good for you!

EC was bold enough to do a country cover album at the height of his pop career. When he played Burt Bacharach songs in concert people didn't know if he was serious or doing a send up. EC likes ABBA!

I like Neil Diamond. There I said it (the pre-You Don't Bring Me Flowers stuff, like I'm a Believer, Solitary Man, Sweet Caroline).
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I like Blood Sweat and Tears early material. I grew up thinking Chicago II was one of the greatest records of all time, and I played it as interchangeable with Sergeant Peppers. I still think the first Montrose and the first Rush albums were quite good, but everything after that was forgettable. Or even terrible.

I still love the first CSN and think that "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is a fantastic song". CSNY "4-Way Street" was, in my opinion, a brilliant live recording, almost as good "Humble Pie: Rockin' the Fillmore". Wonder why I like Steve Marriots voice so much, but can't stand Axl Rose voice.

Remember the 5th Dimension: "Would you like to ride in my Beautiful Balloon". These guys were all over the AM airways when I was growing up. FM was still just getting a leghold in the industry.

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. Whenever I hear their songs I smell fresh cut lawns, hyper-chlorinated public pools, tiny speaker bleeting out "Lady Willpower", and frozen "Zero" white chocolate bars in 95% humidity.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

BS&T's first two albums are very good. I like Chicago's first album, the Chicago Transit Authority. Both of those are very good horn-driven pop groups.

Wasn't Billy Cobham, the ace drummer, in the 5th dimension?

Mr. Average, I like how you associate certain songs with certain childhood experiences. For example, I can't hear The Door's Hello I Love You without thinking of being at Jones Beach (on Long Island) as a child.

I also notice that my children seem to like some of the same songs I liked as a child (and still like as an adult). My sister was a teenager during early Beatlemania, so we had all of those Capitol records (Meet the Beatles, the Beatles' Second Album, Something New, and Beatles '65). I loved You've Really Got a Hold on Me, Baby's in Black, and other songs. My seven year old seems to have picked up on the same songs. Maybe it is no surprise, they are great songs.

Sorry if I've threadjacked this thread.
Last edited by normabuel on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Consider me a fan of the first Chicago and CSN albums as well.

I also like Sheryl Crow's self-titled album Sheryl Crow and 1998's The Globe Sessions, although her more recent stuff is shit.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

No, Billy Cobham was the brilliant drummer/percussionist for the Mahavishnus Orchestra:

John McLaughlin - Guitars
Jan Hammer - Keyboards
Bill Cobham - Drums
Rick Laird - Bass
Jerry Goodman - Electric Violin

What a band. Cobham's first solo album was a Jazz Rock Fusion Masterpiece called Spectrum. About five lps later, he did an album called "Magic" where he used the flute as a rock instrument. It was a great sound, but not like Ian Anderson or Jon Luc Ponty. It was a rockin' flute sound, if that can make any sense out of the context of Billy's frenetic drumming. In between, he did a record with the Brecker Brothers (Michael and Randy) called " A Funky Thide of Sings". Great record if you can still get it.

My first girlfriend turned me on to "Spectrum". She dumped me because I purchased Alice Coopers "Killer", and she considered the song "Dead Babies" to be so bad that she said she could no longer see me.

As regards Crow, I can't stand here voice and I don't think she can sing. But she knows how to write songs. I have her right up there with Natalie Merchant, as pop stars that cannot sing for crap.

Almost every old song is tethered to some memory, and that is why music remains such a significant force in my life. Now, if Richard Thompson would stop following me around and documenting my train-wreck of a life in song. I swear that the guy gets his material for the more depressing ballads by talking to my family and friends. It scares me how closely his songs hit home...right between the eyes, with all of the subtlety of a flying mallet.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Alice Cooper's Love It To Death is a pretty good record
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I still listen to Get the Knack and Cheap Trick's In Color when I want some good power pop. Although the song has been played to death, the guitar solo in My Sharona remains one of my faves. And I think Bun E. Carlos is a great drummer.

ps - I'm going to see X tonight in San Diego..... any other X fans here?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

This is good. We should create a Thread in the Annex called "The Confessional" or "True Lies" or something pulpy like that for these "E's True ElvisCostelloFans Stories".