EC & Orchestra in Chicago 4-18-06

Pretty self-explanatory
snarling pup

EC & Orchestra in Chicago 4-18-06

Post by snarling pup »

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

In case you cant do the pdf thing, you may be interested to know that prices for this range from $13000 for an eight seat box to a peasantlike $300 for cocktails & dinner package for 2. It's a long way from the Half Moon, eh?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Read it and weep .

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow - that's some salute at $13,000.

Has anyone called Cheryl and placed their reservation yet? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bobster

Post by bobster »

"A Salute to Chicago's Business Community"???

Now that's not very punk rock, is it? <Sighs pretentiously>
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Considering the ticket price , will this be the one Il Sogno show that no one here will be at ?!?!

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?erube_fh=cs ... entID=7244

Corporate Night 2006

Tuesday Evening, April 18, 2006

Featuring the Chicago Symphony Orchestra with special guest Elvis Costello!

Corporate Night offers a unique and exclusive opportunity for businesses to entertain clients, customers, and employees in one of Chicago’s most prestigious settings. This concert is sure to be the most anticipated corporate event of 2006!

Corporate Night 2006 is chaired by Jay L. Henderson, Office Managing Partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, and Cheryl Istvan.

For more information about Corporate Night, call (312) 294-3175.

Date and Time

Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Event, 7:30 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or maybe one of these individuals might help out!

http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=13,8

Corporate Night 2006 is chaired by WA member Cheryl Istvan. The Corporate Committee Chair is Jay L. Henderson, Office Managing Partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.

Corporate Night is a project of The Women’s Association of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Corporate Night 2006 is sponsored by:

Additional sponsorship support is generously provided by Merrill Lynch, National City Bank, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Chicago Tribune Foundation and Tribune Publishing, Deloitte, DiamondCluster International, Exelon – Proud Parent of ComEd, Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Motorola, Inc., Sidley Austin LLP, Winston & Strawn LLP, and Infiniti.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

johnfoyle wrote:Considering the ticket price , will this be the one Il Sogno show that no one here will be at ?!?!
Maddeningly enough, one of the PR guys at the company where I work asked me the other day if I was interested in going, since he couldn't. Unfortunately I'll be on a plane when the show starts.

But I was THAT close....
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

I think even Republicans might be blushing at this excessive indulgence.

I wonder how his anti Bush rant will play out?

I can just see Kanye West and his posse heckling from the cheap seats ($300).

This takes Limousine liberalism to a new level!

But, what do I know? Maybe it's all for Cherity.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

I recieved something similar for the Houston show. I think these things are for supporting the local symphony in addition to regular tickets
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
Hank

Post by Hank »

bobster wrote:"A Salute to Chicago's Business Community"???

Now that's not very punk rock, is it? <Sighs>
Maybe it's some sort of punk rock irony thing?
Hank

Post by Hank »

guidedbyvoices wrote:I recieved something similar for the Houston show. I think these things are for supporting the local symphony in addition to regular tickets
Yeah, this is just the symphony trying to drum up some extra sponsorship cash. Get your name printed in a program that nobody reads and what not.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/060418.php

2006-04-18: Chicago, Symphony Centre
Elvis Costello with Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Lorna Ippell

Il Sogno (suite)
The River In Reverse
All This Useless Beauty - new arrangement composed in Honolulu)
The Birds Will Still Be Singing - followed by intermission
Still
Veronica
Upon A Veil Of Midnight Blue
Almost Blue
Watching The Detectives
My Flame Burns Blue (Blood Count)
She
God Give Me Strength
I Still Have That Other Girl
Alison
Couldn't Call It Unexpected #4
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

What's with Elvis getting all corporate in these past few years?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://chicago.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... une.com%2F

From the Chicago Tribune

Costello, CSO provide classic moments at Orchestra Hall
By Bob Gendron

Special to the Tribune

April 19 2006, 11:30 AM CDT

Dressed to the nines, a tuxedo-clad Elvis Costello stepped onto the stage Tuesday night at Orchestra Hall, amicably greeted the crowd of 1,400, and introduced the evening's opening piece. And then he left.

Costello would return, but not until his backing band — for this special occasion, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Alan Broadbent — performed excerpts from the Great Britain native's "Il Sogno" score. Though sleepy in spots, the suite set the elegant tone for the 110-minute CSO Corporate Night concert, a semiprivate charity benefit at which even champagne toasts took a back seat to the fine art of arrangement.

No stranger to classical structure, Costello selected material that benefited from or originally involved formal accompaniment. Careful not to overwhelm the mix of chamber pop, torch songs and blues ballads, the CSO delicately exposed the melodic crevices, shy romance and minor-key transitions laced throughout the singer's work.

While Costello is revered for his sardonic wit and angry cynicism, the black-tie affair called for tenderness, restraint and reflection; rock would wait for another time. Costello responded with the ballroom-ready "Still," head-over-heels waltz "She" and closing-time dance "Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue," a smoky number whisked by winds and violins. Airy strings cast a quizzical gaze on a recast "All This Useless Beauty," which blossomed into a lush sonic bouquet.

The collaboration was at its best when Costello kicked up the tempos and coaxed the CSO to swing into big-band territory. Steeped in alibis, "My Flame Burns Blue" assumed a swank undercover groove while the slow, melancholy "Almost Blue" burned holes in hearts as it lurched to an icy finish.

Yet the standout was "Watching the Detectives," a new-wave classic reimagined as a '50s noir-jazz TV crime-drama theme. Bathed in blood-red lighting, the ensemble conveyed the narrative's voyeuristic intent and turned up the thermostat, leaving space for street-corner sax and boozy trombone solos before pianist Steve Nieve's left-handed scurries foreshadowed his longtime partner's scat singing. Refusing to let the music drag, Nieve remains a mad scientist on the ivories, a colorist who's as exciting to watch as he is to hear.

Costello said goodnight by crooning "Couldn't Call It Unexpected #4" without a microphone, leaning over the edge of the stage as he belted notes with the deliberateness of a lover professing devotion outside his girlfriend's second-story window.

Amazingly, Costello's vocal range continues to improve as he ages, his control sharper, balance proper and enunciation clear. Early on, the 51-year-old strummed out the fiercely soulful "The River in Reverse" on acoustic guitar, questioning the human will, political deception and splintered wreckage that follow a devastating flood — namely, Hurricane Katrina. Conscious that the orchestra's epic sweep and dramatic heft would've drowned out most musicians, his advance solo statement headed off any such concerns and served as a reminder that, even in the face of a world-class instrumental arsenal, Costello's voice still emotionally rings out like a bell of truth.

ctc-arts@tribune.com
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.suntimes.com/output/frey/cst-ftr-frey26.html

CSO boosters eat to Costello's 'Beat'

April 26, 2006

BY MARY CAMERON FREY SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

The popular Corporate Night, sponsored by the Women's Association of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, was as big a draw as ever this year, with more than 1,400 guests packing Symphony Center for a rocking concert by Elvis Costello.

Backed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, ''Off Beat'' included cocktails and dinner in several venues, with a menu of rock shrimp, veal, veggies and chocolate mousse.

Sponsored by the Citadel Group Foundation, the evening's corporate chair was Jay Henderson, with Women's Association chair Cheryl Istvan. More than 120 corporations participated in the invitation-only event, which netted almost $1 million.