Costello productions, radio show , 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Costello productions, radio show , 2019

Post by johnfoyle »

http://promo.emapnetwork.com/mojo/honours2005/

The MOJO Honours List 2005 was held on Thursday 16 June at The Porchester Hall, Central London. The winners were:

( extract)

THE MOJO CLASSIC ALBUM AWARD
Presented by MOJO to an artist responsible for a landmark album in the history of rock'n'roll.

WINNER: The Pogues - Rum Sodomy And The Lash

see also -

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/sto ... ory=647393
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

So Elvis didn't win anything?? No in fact his ex-wife's ex-group won... :?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, but Elvis produced the album.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Elvis PRODUCED it, as the thread title rightly states. :roll:

X Post
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Yes elvis produced millions of albums, appeared in millions of events and even organised Meltdown...but it's still sad that MOJO gives awards to musicians I've never heard of instead of much better musicians. In fact Bowie was a nominee and he lost! Shame on them
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

thomasso wrote:Yes elvis produced millions of albums, appeared in millions of events and even organised Meltdown...but it's still sad that MOJO gives awards to musicians I've never heard of instead of much better musicians. In fact Bowie was a nominee and he lost! Shame on them
Actually Elvis only produced seven albums, from what I can tell:

Blue Aeroplanes - Beatsongs
Squeeze - East Side Story
Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & The Lash
The Specials - The Specials
Nick Lowe - Nick Lowe & His Cowboy Outfit
Anne Sofie von Otter - For The Stars
Agnes Bernelle - Father's Lying Dead

It's not like this is the only award MOJO has ever given, nor is it the only award the magazine will ever give.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Blue Aeroplanes - Beatsongs
Huh?
Do tell me more !
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

According to this,
EC AS PRODUCER:

Albums:
(BEATSONGS - Blue Aeroplanes [91; CD; Ensign CCD 1856]
*** This album was mentioned in the EC
discography published in Record Collector,
but it was produced by Larry Hirsch and NOT
EC ***)
though maybe Blue knows more.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I'd always heard that Beatsongs was a co-production, with EC choosing to work uncredited alongside Larry Hirsch (who of course worked on KOA).

And not forgetting the few songs EC produced on Sisters, by the Bluebells.
John

Post by John »

Elvis also produced Nelson Mandela by The Special AKA
Hotchie

Post by Hotchie »

I think he also produced the only album by the Bluebells. It's a great album. He certainly produced some of their singles - Cath for one.
charliestumpy

Bluebell Aeroplanes ...

Post by charliestumpy »

... Names I recognize - went to see Blue Aeroplanes in Bristol early 1980s - about 250 yards from where I still live - in old 'Sculpture Shed' .(still not quite knocked down/replaced)by SS Great Britain. They weren't much kop for us, so went outside to dance to great Pogues record playing out of someone's window. Only time I saw Costello - Bristol Locarno 4-10-1982 - Bluebells did opening act . Coincidentally, I like most albums Costello produced.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Hotchie wrote:I think he also produced the only album by the Bluebells. It's a great album. He certainly produced some of their singles - Cath for one.
Is that the album with Young at Heart on it... loved that album and particularly that song (and film clip that featured the guywho played Inspector Barlow, I think it was, out of Z-Cars or some Brit TV show like that). A clip is available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/videoclips/date/1993/
alexv

Post by alexv »

Whatever happened to The Bluebells? I remember hearing Cath on the radio in the mid-80s, and saw them at the Peppermint Lounge or Danceteria, and thought they were pretty good, although one of the guys was wearing the cap that Lennon wore in the early Beatles day, which kind of pressed a little too far their Beatles-like act.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The extended version of Nelson Mandela by The Specials ( produced by Elvis) appeared to be getting a CD release -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/12-80s-Pop-Vari ... F8&s=music

12"/80s Pop
~ Various Artists

15 Jan 2007

Disc: 2

9. Nelson Mandela - Special A.K.A.

However , a Amazon review notes -

(extract)

The Special A.K.A. - Nelson Mandela (Extended Version) NOT extended
and vinyl crackle sound present... *sigh* oh well...

Which reminds me of a less than kind joke that we all laughed at back in '84 . In a variation on a then current ad. campaign , the Specials single was sometimes referred to as 'Free Nelson Mandela......with every pack of corn flakes'!!!

You had to be there I suppose........
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I have mentioned it before but anyone remember the EC produced Watch me Catch Fire, by Big Heat? A fine song.

Also, the Bluebells did a song called Aim in Life. It was on the scrapheap, but EC heard it during a rehearsal and persuaded them to record it. He produced it but it could almost be an EC vocal, it sounds so similar.

And, anyone remember EC singing Free Nelson Mandela on the Tube with Dave Wakeling of The Beat and The Special AKA. Apparently the singer on the record stormed out after a row, and EC took lead vocals for the TV show at the last minute!
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Mikeh wrote:I have mentioned it before but anyone remember the EC produced Watch me Catch Fire, by Big Heat? A fine song.

Also, the Bluebells did a song called Aim in Life. It was on the scrapheap, but EC heard it during a rehearsal and persuaded them to record it. He produced it but it could almost be an EC vocal, it sounds so similar.

And, anyone remember EC singing Free Nelson Mandela on the Tube with Dave Wakeling of The Beat and The Special AKA. Apparently the singer on the record stormed out after a row, and EC took lead vocals for the TV show at the last minute!
Yes.

Yes.

And, yes. I remember
martinfoyle

Re: Costello productions

Post by martinfoyle »

This blogger has been good enough to make a zip file of the Big Heat single

http://powerpopcriminals.blogspot.com/s ... results=20

I'm sure he wont mind me sharing a mp3 of Watch Me Catch Fire

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmw0ndwkh ... 20Fire.mp3
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to John H. for finding this -

http://www.eccentricsleevenotes.com/ESN ... 640%29.htm

February 1983

BLUEBELLS

Robert Hodgens - Guitar, Vocals
Kenny McCluskey - Harmonica, Vocals
Russell Lovine - Guitar, Vocals
Laurence Donegan - Bass, Vocals
David McCluskey - Drums, Vocals

The Bluebells were just about to release their first single, 'Forever More' when ESN interviewed them for the second time. The Bluebells have played Newcastle four times in less than a year; once on their own, twice with Haircut 100 and tonight as guests on the Elvis Costello tour. The Bluebells had been in the studio with Elvis Costello producing them and recorded tracks for a possible single. Why didn't any of these tracks appear as the first single?

LAURENCE: We did the tracks with Elvis when we didn't have a record company. We had originally planned to record two and bring them out as a single on Elvis' own label, Demon. We didn't have anyone to produce us so we asked our publishers if we could have Elvis. They sent Elvis a tape of our music and he came to see us play live. He liked us and agreed to produce us. We did the two tracks, 'Aim In Life' and 'Everybody's Somebody's Fool' but we didn't think they were very good. 'Aim In Life' came off the best but 'Everybody's Somebody's Fool' was really awful and we had planned to make that the A side. 'Aim In Life' will be on the B side of the new single and new version of 'Everybody's Somebody's Fool' will appear as an extra track on the 12" single.

ESN
: What was it like working in the studio with Elvis?

LAURENCE:
We liked working with Elvis, so we have got him to produce our debut album which we are going to record after this tour.

ESN:
Do you think that you weren't ready to record a single when you went in the studio?

LAURENCE
: We probably weren't ready to do it and didn't get round to talking about what we were going to do before we went in the studio.

ESN: You got a lot of publicity from the sessions you did for Kid Jensen.

LAURENCE: Things like Radio 1 sessions are up to nothing because you go into the studio and you've got 12 hours to do four tracks whereas it took us six days to record the single.

ESN
: The last time we talked, you didn't have a record contract and you were looking for a good one. What is the contract you've got like?

LAURENCE: We've signed to London, which is through Phonogram. They usually just give singles deals to new bands. That's what they did for the likes of ABC and Soft Cell. We were the first to be offered an album deal for 2 or 3 years.

ESN: You've had a lot of exposure with other bands like Haircut 100 and Altered Images etc.

LAURENCE: The second Haircut tour was very good, young audiences who think you are superstars as soon as you walk on stage.

ESN: If you play out of tune they'll never know.

LAURENCE: And we did! It was good, very good exposure. We keep getting loads of letters from them. If they write them, they are sure to buy a copy of the single.

ESN: How is this tour going?

LAURENCE: We are nearly halfway through at the moment and it's going reasonably well. We've had a few good reactions. The audience are a lot older than the Haircut tour so you don't have lots of girls screaming at you when the drummer breaks his hi-hat.

At this point the interview was brought to a halt due to the sound check. The Bluebells have their own original sound, which is why they had almost every big record company after them.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/helbo1/status/592077554133110784
Russell from The Bluebells just sent me this photo of them and Elvis Costello doing backing vocals on Some Sweet Day.

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I got these details from the poster of that Bluebells photo -

LtoR: Ken McCluskey - vocals, Lawrence Donegan - bass, Russell Irvine - guitar and David McCluskey - drums. (EC in the middle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QUSzquAStU

Bluebells - Some Sweet Day
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

All this news about The Bluebells prompts me to give their album a spin. This press release was in the copy I got recently in a charity store

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I love Elvis' lunch menu!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I just got around today to getting the new edition of the first Specials album, produced by Elvis . It's blaring out of the speakers now and it sounds great. With lots of new photos specially provided by Chalkie Davies , it's a upgrade well worth getting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Specials-Specia ... s_dp_dpt_2
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The Specials' Horace Panter reminisces:
The album was produced by Elvis Costello who, apart from anything else, was a big fan. He didn’t change any of the arrangements and suggested very few musical ideas. He just waited till it felt right and then we took it. In retrospect, he was the perfect man for the job. We used to call him ‘Mister C’.