Sept 5 release of The Right Spectacle?

Pretty self-explanatory
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I picked up a copy on Saturday. I've watched all the videos (without commentary) and about half the live shows and about half of the videos with commentary. There's a lot of stuff here, worth the price. The early videos have a "so bad, they're good quality" - Elvis is at a loss for words much of the time - but you can hear his smile coming through.

Favorite video might be "This Town" - hilarious!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

Has anyone in the US got this yet? I pre-ordered from Deep Discount DVD, but it looks like it hasn't been sent yet. It was supposed to be sent early so that it would get to me on/about the 20th. I've been looking forward to this for > 6 mo., I need it NOW!!!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The US release date is the 27th, not the 20th.
whar

Post by whar »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The US release date is the 27th, not the 20th.
I ordered it from co.uk.
Oy with the poodles, already!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I got it for my birthday but do not currently have a DVD player that works. What is a boy to do? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

whar wrote:
I ordered it from co.uk.
Do you normally pay double what you would to get it in your own country to have it a week early?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

An EC fan indeed :)
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I got it for my birthday but do not currently have a DVD player that works. What is a boy to do? :lol:
1. Buy a new DVD player? They were flogging them for £20 in Asda yesterday, shorley you can stretch to that.

2. Most computers have DVD drives, try that?

3. Go next door.

4. Just look at the cover.
signed with love and vicious kisses
whar

Post by whar »

BlueChair wrote:
whar wrote:
I ordered it from co.uk.
Do you normally pay double what you would to get it in your own country to have it a week early?
Yeah, then we gather together, hold hands, and laugh at Canada. It's an odd ritual. :wink:
whar

Post by whar »

Boy With A Problem wrote:I picked up a copy on Saturday. I've watched all the videos (without commentary) and about half the live shows and about half of the videos with commentary. There's a lot of stuff here, worth the price. The early videos have a "so bad, they're good quality" - Elvis is at a loss for words much of the time - but you can hear his smile coming through.

Favorite video might be "This Town" - hilarious!
Did you watch the commentary yet?!
I'm excited.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow, turning it into a joke about Canada! That's original!

Whatever, if you want to pay $30 instead of $14 that's your business 8)

Has your DVD even arrived yet? Only 5 more days 'til it's out in North America
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
whar

Post by whar »

Hah, yeah it should be arriving today.

I probably should have waited and just picked it up with the Gilmore Girls Season 4 set, but I didn't realize that the release dates coincided until after I had ordered.

I don't mind, this dvd is worth the 27$.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Amazon shows release of the 27th, but they won't ship it with the McPartland/Costello Piano Jazz LP until October 01. I think I was prioritized down because I met the "Super-SAver Shipping" Threshold with my purchase which, evidently, means that I am not required to pay for shipping but I get my stuff slow boat.

The reviews are exciting. I can't wait.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

It'll be worth the wait. We finally got a copy here in Dublin, the man in Music Matters in Rathmines Swan Centre greeted me with it when I stopped by there this afternoon. He only got in 1 other copy which says a lot about EC's profile around these parts. Whatever, it's wonderful. Excellent transfers provide great picture quality, the highlight for me was the performance of Clowntime on The Tube. I probably saw the faded out version before, it obviously works so much better in full. While there is no Bruce bashing, those miss-credits during You Little Fool spoke volumes. The only other immediate reaction I have is that he could have gotten a great endorsement deal with a hair gel company.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

An excellent presentation. Elvis , audibly sipping a beverage and refilling his glass, sticks to talking about the technical aspects of videos, instead of the songs themselves. Care has been taken with the transfer , with the monochrome sequences looking particularly well. I find myself wondering about a few factual elements. I wasn't taking notes , so I'll wait until I see it again before discussing them.
John

Post by John »

I remember watching the "Shot With His Own Gun" performance live all those years ago and not being too keen. It's funny now that I really enjoy it. Elvis seems to almost smile at the end obviously pleased with the performance.
Funniest bit for me is the Swedish interview near the end.
Elvis' singing in some of those studio pop programmes is pretty deadful at times and what about that cockney accent introducing Radio Radio?

The single releases of The Only Flame In Town and I Wanna Be Loved were the opposite way round in the UK. Is that a mistake or where the videos made in that order?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

John wrote: The single releases of The Only Flame In Town and I Wanna Be Loved were the opposite way round in the UK. Is that a mistake or where the videos made in that order?
I'm sure the I Wanna Be Loved video was made in mid May 1984 when EC was touring Australia and the Flame videos later. So it's probably a mistake. The notes about the tv appearances imply that more will be collected if the legalities can be sorted out, so there's hope yet that the Macroom 1981 Strict Time may surface and maybe some TOTP performances, it would be great to see that incredible live performance of Sweet Dreams again.
frank

Post by frank »

Mr. Average wrote:
Amazon shows release of the 27th, but they won't ship it with the McPartland/Costello Piano Jazz LP until October 01. I think I was prioritized down because I met the "Super-SAver Shipping" Threshold with my purchase which, evidently, means that I am not required to pay for shipping but I get my stuff slow boat.
I got this message this morning (9/23):

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped this portion of your
order separately to give you quicker service.
The following items were included in this shipment:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1 The Very Best of Emmylou Harr $13.49 1 $13.49
1 Piano Jazz: Costello/McPartla $10.99 1 $10.99
1 The Right Spectacle - The Ver $13.99 1 $13.99

Frank.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Nice to see you back Frank.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
frank

Post by frank »

Thanks VG,

I visit the site once or twice a week; just don't post that often.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My impressions after watching the first half of "Right Spectacle":

-Having the Attractions dance around in the background for the videos they shot in Southern France was a very very bad idea.

-I hadn't seen the "Accidents Will Happen" video in years, but it really is quite good, if low-tech by today's standards.

-I'd never seen "Possession" before, but it's one of their better early efforts - driving around Shepherd's Bush in Jake Riviera's Vauxhall. Love how EC rolls up the window at the end.

-The sweater EC is wearing in the "High Fidelity" video is almost unforgiveably bad.

-Both of Barney Bubbles Trust-era videos are terrific, "New Lace Sleeves" especially.

-EC's commentary is a little cursory - not a lot of insight. He mostly confirms the fact that they were almost constantly drunk out of their minds. Still, anything is welcome and it sure is nice to have all of these videos on one disc.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

got mine day before yesterday and I'm sneaking peeks at it when I can get the Mr. to fall asleep, which he usually does like clockwork at 9.

WSS? wrote
Love how EC rolls up the window at the end.
my daughter thought that was hysterical - windows without handles!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:WSS? wrote
Love how EC rolls up the window at the end.
my daughter thought that was hysterical - windows without handles!
That's the same model Vauxhall - I think - that Billy Bragg sings about in one of his early songs. "From A Vauxhall Velox":

She said do these seats fold down
I said If you pull that handle
All the time she'd been waiting for
Something with a little more
And all her mates on the new estates
Were walking out in confetti and sunshine
Her mother read her mail
And her dad was a policeman
Which I must say worried me
But some things have just got to be
So we passed very fast like ships in the night
Or cars in a contraflow system
Some people say love is blind
But I think that's just a bit short-sighted
Some people just want it now
It doesn't matter where or how
Satisfaction takes a second place
So long as they can get excited

Then of course there's EC's "Vauxhall Viva" reference in "The Beat".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The "Special Features" brought back a lot of memories.

Like wanting to watch Countdown in 1979 (being only 17) and having to argue with my father who wanted to look at the football. And I remember being disappointed that EC only played the big hits and I also remember feeling 'uncomfortable' when the stage-invasion happened.

I also remember recording the Pinkpop 1979 radiobroadcast on a small radio-cassette-recorder and listening to the tape again and again (in my bedroom at home).

And 'The Tube 1983' footage brought back memories of the 'Rockpalast' TV and Radiobroadcast. First having to endure Bryan Adams who played prior to EC and who had a lot of success (unlike EC). Then recording the Radiobroadcast on the same small radio-cassette-recorder and listening to the recording again and again. A video-recorder was too expensive then, so I couldn't record it on VHS...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I finally got the DVD. The early videos are as I mentioned before, so bad they're good. The later ones, after You Little Fool (which is actually quite good, as well as the Trust videos) are just plain bad. I'm looking forward to hearing E.C's commentary though. Also, it's Måndagsbörsen, not Mandagsboren (my god what the hell is E.C wearing in that clip)?