Everyone Loves Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Everyone Loves Elvis

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

We have a conference on right now, and today I spoke to three people who have seen Elvis, or have been very keen to, and who rate him highly. One saw him in Iowa on the GH!! tour and again at the Beacon NY last year. One saw him with Ron Sexsmith supporting on the ATUB tour, in the UK. (How many dates was that? No Ron at the Roundhouse when I saw him.) One who lives in Madrid and is missing him this week, I think. Elvis lovers are all around you, you merely have to ask.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
millen

Post by millen »

Strangely enough everybody I speak to has heard of him,
but never really anything by him.
Zombies man, they freak me out.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I was in a taxi, and mentioned to the driver that I was seeing Elvis Costello that night.

He replied "Is he still going? I suppose there's always a living to be made, just look at Tony Hadley".

I managed to restrain myself, but it's upsetting how under appreciated he is in his own land.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:He replied "Is he still going? I suppose there's always a living to be made, just look at Tony Hadley".

I managed to restrain myself, but it's upsetting how under appreciated he is in his own land.
By who though. That is more the question I would think.
LittleFoole

Re: Everyone Loves Elvis

Post by LittleFoole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:We have a conference on right now, and today I spoke to three people who have seen Elvis, or have been very keen to, and who rate him highly. One saw him in Iowa on the GH!! tour and again at the Beacon NY last year. One saw him with Ron Sexsmith supporting on the ATUB tour, in the UK. (How many dates was that? No Ron at the Roundhouse when I saw him.) One who lives in Madrid and is missing him this week, I think. Elvis lovers are all around you, you merely have to ask.
At EC's 3/10 show in Knoxville, we ran into another couple that are members of our church (a "liberal religion", we are - some brand us as a "cult," but that's another matter...LOL). Vince still gives me shit at church because my wife scored first row tix at the last moment and they were about halfway back in the venue (although I don't really think there was a bad seat in the house...).
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Well, here in Canada it's even worse. It's either 50 Cent or some other lame rapper. You trying being a teenage Costello lover in a world full of musical laziness and ignorance...
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I feel your pain, try doing it in a middle of nowhere town in Michigan.... Still, there are always friends you can convert and such. And you never know. I'm with my current boyfriend because his mom found out I liked EC and set us up. There are good people out there still...
Otis Westinghouse

I love his mom and I love you teenage Costelloheads for your discrimination and intelligence.

And today at work, the friend of a colleague in Madrid sent her an account of just how fab the Madrid gig was this week. Wish I'd been there!!!!
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

He's not a 'Costellohead' (I like that term, I'm taking it), but I'm working on it. I just found out that one of my former English teachers is a huge EC fan. She put a rather large (and really kinda scary) poster of him up in her classroom. I must say, he looks nice next to the ghetto Shakespeare. I just wish I'd known when I still had her class, it probably would've helped my grade out a bit.
Otis Westinghouse

See what I mean! By 'you' I meant all the ones who come or have come to this borad. It's great. And you are basically what I was at your age, a massive Costello and Bowie fan. You're not into Joy Division, by any chance, are you? Very different proposition. Kind of eternally hip. Utterly unique. Still my favourite band of all time, despite their short life. It was great having them around when I was a teenager.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I've never even heard of them, but if you can give me recomendations I'll look into it. I love finding new bands to listen to, especially older, more obscure ones.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

If this means you haven't even heard Love Will Tear Us Apart, you're in for a treat, lawngnome...brace yourself.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Perhaps you've seen Donnie Darko. LWTUA is playing in the party scene. A strange thought that that could be someone's introduction to Joy Div.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

I've never seen that. An old friend was obsessed with it and always using it to put down RHPS, so I refuse out of spite... However, I'm on my way to the record store next week and I'll have look...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

thomasso wrote:Well, here in Canada it's even worse. It's either 50 Cent or some other lame rapper. You trying being a teenage Costello lover in a world full of musical laziness and ignorance...
It's no worse here than it is anywhere else. Teenagers are musically inept anywhere. Just be glad you got an early start. The Elvis fans start cropping up here and there once you're in university :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Yes, college life is one thing I can't wait for...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

There are teenagers who truly have been raised on good music and gain a reputation among their classmates as having unique tastes.

My daughter Allison just turned 13 years old. Her favorite musician is Miles Davis, and she can hum, in order, and name the tunes in order on Kind of Blue, In A Silent Way, ESP, and Blue Mles. She loves Sketches of Spain. Yesterday, she raided my Time/Life CD series Tophits of the 50's and was burning a compliation disk.

Her IPod:
Three XTC Albums
Gang of Four Entertainment
Los Lobos Compliation that I made for her (and others)
Soundtracks to Kill Bill Vol I and II
Soundtrack - Pulp Fiction
Soundtrack - Chicago
Soundtrack - Oceans 11 and Oceans 12
Crystal Method - Legion of Boom
Chemical Brothers - Various
Elvis Costello - The Delivery Man
Elvis Costello Hits compiliation
David Bowie - Changes
Beatles #1's
Soundtrack - Be Cool
Various Ojays songs
Beck Odelay
Eurythmics HIts
The First Pretenders album
The Cure Mixed Up

So...a teenager can understand the difference between a quality sound and the standard tripe that so many of her peers listen to.

To be fair, she does not like KOA, MLAR, and ATUB. She does like WIWC and GH.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Wow, I only wish all teens had tastes like that. I have a cousin the same age, and her zen is full of Hilary Duff and other such atrocities. I tried EC on her, but she insisted he died in the 70's. :?