in the Rock Hall Of Fame can be seen at

http://www.theartrocks.com/tgactnw/54obrien.html

and here`s a link to a larger detail on the
artist`s site

http://www.obrienillustration.com/stage2/elvis.html
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Cool, an antique Elvis. Hadn't thought of him this way before. :)
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

...neat!
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here`s an article about the exhibit

http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2003-0 ... index.html

From clevescene.com
Originally published by Cleveland Scene Jun 04, 2003
©2003 New Times, Inc. All rights reserved.
Full Mental Jackets
The Rock Hall gets nostalgic with imaginary album covers.
BY MICHAEL GALLUCCI

The Greatest Album Covers That Never Were
Details: Daily, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Thursday, June 5, through September 28. $11.50 to $15; call 216-515-1930.
Where: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, 1 Key Plaza

Michael Ochs is the brother of the late folksinger Phil Ochs and owner of the world's largest music photo archive. Now he also dabbles as a curator: For The Greatest Album Covers That Never Were, a new exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Ochs asked nearly 100 artists and musicians to construct cover art for imaginary albums by legendary musicians.

"I wanted to take the stuff that's offered to us and put it in a different setting," Ochs says. "The misconception is that these are alternate covers for existing albums. These are total fantasy covers -- nothing more than fine artists interpreting recording artists."

The results span popular music of the 20th century: Robert Johnson, Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Talking Heads, and Björk are all honored. "I wanted to be sure each decade was represented and that all of the big icons were in there," Ochs says. "I was surprised by some of the choices. It's an interesting cross section."

The concept is simple: Ochs and artist Craig Butler recruited well-known pop-culture figures -- including photographer William Claxton, musician Graham Nash, artist Ralph Steadman, and author Kurt Vonnegut -- to create album covers for their favorite artists. "A general list of the top [musicians] was sent to artists for them to choose from, but they weren't limited to it," Ochs explains. "The only criteria was that [the finished piece] had to be in square format, up to four feet.

"And more people took advantage of that [size] than I expected," he laughs.

And whether it's Josh Agle's cartoon Sinatra, hoisting a martini glass over a splash of '50s-era design and color, or Tim O'Brien re-imagining Elvis Costello's All This Useless Beauty as a stately portrait, The Greatest Album Covers That Never Were is just as much a contemporary art exhibit as it is a history-propping realization of Ochs's and Butler's fancy. "I miss [record] covers," Ochs says. "I love the inner sleeves and the fact that you can read the lyrics. They were more of an experience than jewel cases are."

Fifty of the commissioned pieces premiere at the Rock Hall. Once the exhibit closes in September, it hits the road for two years, stopping at Seattle's Experience Music Project and the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, among other places. "I wouldn't mind keeping this going," Ochs says. "We're still getting calls in from people who want to do one of these.

"We originally thought this was going to be more photo-intensive, since I was offering everything from the archives. But it covers the complete gamut of art, from paintings to digital prints to sculpture. I just wanted something I could hang on my wall."
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Very very cool. He looks formal but somehow dishevelled -- like he's been waving his arms around. This could be an enduring image.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

It might be just me, but does anyone else find that image incredibly sexy?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

Oh, I certainly do! :D I finally found some new wallpaper for my laptop!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Oh it's not just you Goody. Elvis is sooo sexy esp. when he was younger and had all that attitude. Attitude but yet his songs had such a sexy vulnerability.
This pic of him is kind of scarey. No, not scarey, amusing. He looks like he's coming to get you and you're gonna get a spanking!

Hmmm, 'nuff said. :wink:
I'm not angry anymore....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Mmmm. I've been a bad, bad girl. 8)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I have a copy of that pic!! A photog pal of mine gave it to me from an annual of some kind.

Very cool. Looks like he's circa BRUTAL YOUTH, no? Probably his best-looking period. Yumm.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

it's the eyebrows, i think. definately the eyebrows. mrrraaoow.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Damn!! I urge you all to check out the detailed version...hell, it's a painting , folks!! I may just consider borrowing it for our "Tribute" sleeve (at least, a small portion of it), which begs the question:

How many of you have links to unusual E.C. Photos or stills? I need links for my research...

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Yeah, Sulky, right. *cough, cough, clearing throat* That's why I need more pictures of Elvis. Research.

Yeah, research. That's it. That's the ticket. 8)
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

purely professional, i'm sure.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Honest, guys & gals!! I'm working on a photo collage for a CD package, & need links to unusual photos, stuff that hasn't already been used for cover art on either the originals or re-issues to date. Have been surfing the Web for stuff to Photoshop, have 9 so far, but need a MINIMUM of 30.

My hubby's jealous enough of the project already..."Oh, working on pictures of your boyfriend, huh?"

And I promise you'll get a credit on the package if I use your find.
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."