Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis still going on about UEA , Norwich , 2005

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/WhatsOn/ ... 3A29%3A190

Costello's eyes on football final

RICHARD BALLS

May 25, 2005

Elvis Costello once sang about 'Turning The Town Red' and his fans will be hoping he is in the mood to do just that when he ventures on stage at the University of East Anglia tonight.

An avid Liverpool supporter, the bespectacled singer-songwriter who burst onto the pop scene almost 30 years ago is said to have pondered whether to travel to Istanbul to watch his team take on AC Milan in the Champions League final.

Instead, he decided to go on with his show in Norwich – his first in the city for many years – but his audience can expect to wait until the final whistle in Turkey for their hero to emerge.

Events organisers at the UEA are insisting that if the game goes to extra time or a penalty shoot-out that the famous Liverpool fan records the remainder of the game and kicks off his own fixture.

Tickets for the concert advise that there will be 'no support', indicating the kind of lengthy set he has been delivering at other venues on his current tour.

Recent shows have been peppered with material from the early part of his career such as Watching The Detectives, Alison and Mystery Dance, as well as from more recent albums When I Was Cruel and his current release The Delivery Man.

Nick Raynes, events organiser at the UEA, confirmed that a support act had been drafted in to play while Liverpool's historic game was in progress, but that Costello was expected to play his full set as the venue was licensed until 2am on a Wednesday.

“He is a big Liverpool fan and this is a really important game for them,” he said.

“We have arranged for a support act to play and Elvis's stage time will now be 9.30pm. We apologise it is slightly later than advertised, but we are still hoping he will do his full set.

“We want him to play the full set he would have played had the game not been on.”

Asked what would happen if the game went to extra time, Mr Raynes said: “We have offered to tape it so he can watch it when he comes off stage and we have pointed out that it would be unreasonable to go on stage at about ten past ten.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/WhatsOn/ ... 3A50%3A097

Elvis is in the building

KEIRON PIM

May 25, 2005

He has been a spiky presence on the musical landscape for three decades and is showing no sign of fading away. Elvis Costello, who plays the UEA tonight with his band The Imposters, has carved out a place for himself in the history of pop music after nigh-on 30 years of musical individuality.

And the good news for the audience this evening is that he will be playing his greatest hits after a few years of changes in musical direction that have served to diminish his audience, if not necessarily his critical standing.

With songs such as Shipbuilding and Tramp the Dirt Down, Costello proved a thorn in the side of the Thatcherite 1980s, having broken into the mainstream with the New Wave post-punk acts in the late '70s.

His intelligent lyrics were often a scathing denunciation of the state of society in those years, and the acerbic quality to his character has often been in evidence throughout his career.

Alcohol and a turbulent personal life didn't help. He became infamous for his neurotic behaviour in the early years, with the press a regular subject of his tantrums, but that unpredictable nature lent an original quality to his music – which is what he will ultimately be remembered for.

"I've never called what I do 'rock'," he has said. "I don't care for the rock beat much. It's very slow. And a bit dull. At least in the late '70s, the beat was speeded up. It didn't swing a lot, but it was energetic. And it got away with the fact that it didn't swing.

"I actually like music that swings. The old-time '50s rock'n'roll definitely had a lot of swing in it. When the roll went out of it, it lost a lot of its charm."

His defiant streak was there to be seen in his choice of name. He was born Declan Patrick MacManus but took the name Elvis Costello – first name as in Presley, the surname from his mother's maiden name – which constituted a rare cheek towards the King.

Born in Paddington, London, in 1954, he began his musical career in the early 1970s performing in folk clubs under the name DP Costello, while also working as a computer programmer. The job put such a strain on his eyes that he began wearing his distinctive thick-rimmed glasses.

There was a musical tradition in the family: his father was the singer and bandleader Ross MacManus, who sang with the Joe Loss Orchestra and provided the vocals for the 1970s R Whites "secret lemonade drinker" TV advertisement.

In 1976, Declan MacManus was leading country-rock group Flip City but had an eye on getting his own record contract, and so recorded demos of his original material. He even went to the lengths of touring around record companies' offices giving impromptu performances, but it wasn't until of one of his tapes reached Jake Riviera at the independent record label Stiff that Costello was signed as a solo artist.

It was at this point that MacManus changed his name and then released two singles that failed to chart in 1977 before the album My Aim is True climbed to number 14.

He played live that autumn on the Stiffs Live package tour, with label-mates including Nick Lowe, Ian Dury and Wreckless Eric, having got together his backing band The Attractions.

And it is much the same group that will be backing Costello tonight – drummer Pete Thomas and keyboardist Steve Nieve, alongside newcomer Davey Farragher on bass.

Costello's most recent album, The Delivery Man, was hailed as a return to form on release in autumn 2004.

Previous years had seen him embrace opera and classically-styled songs, and collaborate with his new wife, the jazz pianist Diana Krall, on her first collection of original material, The Girl in the Other Room.

Some, but not all, his past songs will no doubt appear tonight, for as he said recently: "I don't think there's an obligation to play the entire history of your life every night. If you're going to play a song just out of sentiment, that's not a good enough reason.

"You should play a song because you really feel something for it."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This brings back memories of Elvis last show with the Attractions in Dublin in July 1996. Some football game was on that night as well, so we had to suffer a brutal wedding band, rinky dink keyboards and all, as an extended support. The game went to extra time but Elvis reluctantly started about 9:30. He barely played a full set before we were all shooed out about 11. An unfortunate way to see out a great band. Hopefully tonight will work out better.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

In relation to the time on the tickets, what time has Elvis been coming onstage on the recent tour - Norwich aside?
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I saw Elvis play the Glasgow Pavilion in April 1989 as part of the solo tour, with Nick Lowe supporting. This was the famous night when arsenal pinched the league from Liverpool at Anfield thanks to two late goals.

Thankfully, there was no messing about that night and he played a terrific set with hardly a mention of the game.
Four eyes - one vision
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Liverpool have just WON

- as someone is probably now yelling from stageside in Norwich.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bad Ambassador wrote:In relation to the time on the tickets, what time has Elvis been coming onstage on the recent tour - Norwich aside?
Leicester said 8, and he was out by 5 or 10 past.

Well if he watched it till 9.30, he will have been mightily distracted wondering what the outcome was!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Bloody Nora!!
When I heard about the 9.30 start I was very worried.
Decided to watch the first half of the football at home and leave for UEA at half time. When Crespo got Milan's third goal decided to rush in as an earlier start seemed likely.
Between the car and the venue Gerrard scored. There was a big screen and by the time I'd bought my first drink the Milan goalie messed up and it was 3-2. It was obvious Alonso wasn't going to score with the penalty but not so obvious that he'd slot home the rebound for 3-3.
Elvis appeared at full time as promised at 9.30. His first words were a Delia like "Let's be having you!" Didn't endear himself to the Norwich fans and he got water thrown at him. All up from there.
It could have gone so bad but he seemed so inspired. Great set. Highlights for me were things I hadn't heard for a while:
Less than zero
Tonight the bottle let me down
You've really got a hold on me
Clubland
Heart of the City
Why don't you love me like you used to do?
I watched the penalty shoot out back in the bar during Watching the Detectives (a great song but how often do you need to hear it?)
When Liverpool won Elvis knew very quickly and the next song was easily predicted; a moving "You'll never walk alone"
He dedicated the Delivery Man to Rafa Benitez.
The Scarlet Tide took on a whole new meaning.
A great great night.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

fantastic! :D
and it was a great game
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/WhatsOn/ ... 3A18%3A847

EDP 24

Elvis Costello and The Imposters

RICHARD BALLS

May 26, 2005

> UEA LCR, Norwich

Elvis has never recognised musical divides or boundaries and his 30-year career has been all the richer for it.

But for all the twists and turns he has taken, he has never forsaken the pop road.

I saw him play a memorable gig at the UEA in 1984 and have since seen him grace the Royal Albert Hall, the London Palladium, the Olympia Theatre in Dublin and numerous other fine venues. That this unexpected show at the UEA failed to sell out is indicative of the complete disinterest many of his older fans have shown in his recent classical releases.

Those who did turn out were treated to a night of tense drama and celebration.

With his beloved Liverpool having fought back from 3-0 down to 3-3 and take the game into extra time, Costello dutifully took to the stage shortly after 9.30 as requested.

Amid some boos, he launched into the first track from his debut album Welcome to the Working Week and got a drink hurled over him for his troubles.

While some of the audience remained glued to television screens around the venue, Costello ploughed on, delving deep into his past to play such material as Less than Zero, I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea, A Good year for the Roses and Club Land.

When it got to penalties Costello was ominously in the middle of Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down and followed that with A Kinder Murder.

Fortunately, these titles proved inapt and after the crowd let him in on the secret that Liverpool had indeed conquered Europe he seamlessly went into You'll Never Walk Alone, accompanied by the entire crowd.

For the celebration? He opted for an electrifying rendition of Mystery Dance and another gem from his country album Almost Blue, Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used to Do?

Late arrivals were all forgotten.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, dear.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.en24.co.uk/content/news/stor ... :45:59:583

Norwich Evening News

Costello fans walk out in disgust

NAOMI CANTON
26 May 2005 13:04

Outraged fans walked out in disgust last night after Elvis Costello arrived on stage several hours late because he was watching the football.

He then shouted abuse at the audience and deliberately played badly.

The avid Liverpool fan had arrived on stage at the UEA at 9.40pm because he tried to catch the Champions League final on television.

Many fans had been waiting for him since 7.30pm and so when he received a hostile reaction from fans, he proceeded to shout abuse at them and under perform.

Andrew Milnes, of Wood Street, Norwich, was outraged. He said:

"At first I balked at the £25 tickets to see Elvis Costello at the UEA, but he was, after all, a hero of my youth, having written, produced and sung some of the greatest material of the late seventies.

"The tickets stated there was no support band so we arrived early and took up a good front-of-stage position. Then we heard the rumour that he was watching the football and he was.

"A support band was given the unenviable task of soothing an increasingly hostile crowd. When Elvis eventually daned to appear at 9.40pm there was loud booing.

"His reaction to this was to hurl abuse and play loudly, not very grown up, but more importantly, not very good.

"Great as he is, Elvis is not a guitar hero and this stint earned him a soaking with water from a fan.

"His band the Imposters probably knocked back by the hostile reaction, played like amateurs, the crowd knew the material better than they did and could probably have played it better too.

"The whole thing seemed to be done on the cheap and at £25 a ticket, that's not good enough."

Malca Schotten, from Norwich, was also in the audience. She said: "Some of us had been there since 7.30pm and didn't realise he was going to be late, so we were annoyed to say the least.

"Although there were some people shouting and throwing things, most people were polite.

"His reaction was completely over the top. He was swearing and gesturing to the crowd, showing a complete lack of respect - I don't care how famous you are, you should respect your fans.

"I paid £50 to take my sister for her birthday, I've always wanted to see him live and was really looking forward to it.

"His behaviour was disgusting and we were the first to walk out and plenty of people followed."
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

LOL. That's what he gets for scheduling a gig the same night as the Champions League final. When he booked Norwich, he must have thought (like everyone else) that Liverpool had a snowball's chance in hell of making the final.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Come on! If you know anything about the man you would've known he'd watch the game. I heard about it yesterday morning and I'm in the States. He is a real person just like everyone else and there are some things that can wait. Their lucky he even played at all, and for 25 pounds? I don't know that I've even seen seats around here (N.C.) for less than 45 or 50 bucks, and that's general admission. I'm paying $125 for my tickets for Atlanta and if he showed up two hours late I'd just hang out and party with the rest of the fans and be fricken' glad he was coming in the first place. And then I'd cheer like hell when he did get there. It's not like he probably didn't feel bad about being late, but that was ruined when he stepped out there and got booed. There's always somebody that has to bitch. Okay, sorry about that, just a little frustrated.

"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
Fishfinger king

Must have been a different gig to the one I went to.
Could have been better advertised but it was on the UEA box office website. How many other big acts usually come on at 8 and play for over 2 hours? I got to watch one of the best finals ever and see EC.
We still got just under 2 hours and a great atmosphere. You just can't please some people - to me it was one of the most memorable EC gigs I've been to (and I've been to about 20 since 1977).
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Almost wishing I'd driven up to Norwich as well as Leicester!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Dick AND Balls? Poor man.

(His parents must have wanted him to become a journalist.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/sto ... 3A10%3A957

EDP24

Stick to cocoa, Costello tells fans

27 May 2005

Elvis Costello has recommended cookbooks and cocoa to those who demanded a refund after his Norwich show was delayed while he watched his beloved Liverpool football team's incredible European Cup recovery on TV backstage.

The legendary singer-songwriter was greeted with boos and abuse from some fans when he emerged on to the stage at the University of East Anglia shortly after 9.30pm on Wednesday as the Champions League final in Istanbul went into extra time.

One fan hurled a drink over him as he played his opening number, and Costello responded by gesticulating at him and swearing at others.

Responding to calls from fans who branded him arrogant and disrespectful, the EDP asked for a response from Costello and got a characteristically spiky but good-humoured reply.

He taunted the "timid souls" who interpreted his response as "genuine aggression" and took a swipe at the "cowardly drink-hurling drunk" who was ejected by bouncers.

He promised free tickets to his next Norfolk show to those who had been genuinely inconvenienced by the delayed start to the show.

But he said those who had asked for their money back should stay at home "reading their Delia Smith cookbooks over a nice cup of Horlicks while listening to their K-Tel collection of punk rock classics".

Tina O'Connor, from Norwich, who sings in a local group and plays pubs around the city, said she was unim-pressed with the apparent disrespect Costello had shown towards people who had paid £25 for tickets.

"We left about half an hour after the start because we had to work the next day," she complained. "The way he treated his fans just left a bad taste.

"I am a football fan and I could have watched the football, but I decided to go to see him play."

Ruth Darby, from Norwich, was also disappointed that the concert had started so late and left early.

She said: "When he came out, there was no apology, no acknowledgement of the audience, he just launched straight into his set. I just thought he was arrogant. We had paid all that money and had been waiting and waiting. If he was that bothered about the football, he should have cancelled."

Some leapt to Costello's defence and said that those who had left the gig early had missed out.

"He was the victim of an unprovoked attack by some members of the audience who threw liquid and other objects at him," said Vaughan Griggs, of Rider Haggard Road, Norwich.

"His response was to shout abuse at some members of the audience, which was entirely justified given the intimidation he received."

Melanie Hall, from Lowestoft, said the singer had "worked very hard" on stage and had recovered very well from the initial and unaccept-able abuse directed at him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

But he said those who had asked for their money back should stay at home "reading their Delia Smith cookbooks over a nice cup of Horlicks while listening to their K-Tel collection of punk rock classics".
Good to see Elvis giving this great set a plug.

Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Christ on a bike - Norwich aint very Rock n Roll is it? 9:30 isnt exactly late at night - if the gig was 2 hours they would stil be home by midnight - what a bunch of whining wankers. :roll:

- Also a lot of artists would walk off if they had a drink thrown over them.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/sto ... 3a11%3a877

Elvis Costello statement

"I suppose there might have been a handful of people who didn't get the message that it was going to be a late show but after the audience had been treated to an excellent performance by a fine young local band – David K and The Defendants. The Imposters and I took the stage just after 9.30pm and played a non-stop two-hour set that seemed to be enjoyed by almost one and all.

The laughable expression of hostility from a cowardly drink-hurling drunk was countered with some comedic banter that a few timid souls seem to have mistaken for genuine aggression. They have clearly never witnessed a serious confrontation. This disruptive twerp was rightly and forcefully ejected from the premises although it may not have escaped his notice that the singer was holding a large plank of wood in his hand throughout the show.

Far from resenting the sporting background to the evening, the majority of the audience happily joined in an emotional and enthusiastic rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone, saluting the Liverpool victory with the massed illumination of their mobile phones.

Perhaps the 14 people who did ask for their money back are not allowed to stay out late at rock and roll shows. Or maybe they would be better suited to staying at home, reading their Delia Smith cookbooks over a nice cup of Horlicks while listening to their K-Tel collection of a Punk Rock Classic.

Obviously, if some of those asking for refunds simply had a late bus to catch then we extend our apologies for any confusion and inconvenience. They should contact us with adequate proof of purchase and we will arrange for them to receive guest tickets for our next Norfolk appearance.

Up The Reds and good luck to the Canaries with their push for promotion."
Fishfinger king

Mike Boom wrote:Christ on a bike - Norwich aint very Rock n Roll is it? 9:30 isnt exactly late at night - if the gig was 2 hours they would stil be home by midnight - what a bunch of whining wankers. :roll:

- Also a lot of artists would walk off if they had a drink thrown over them.
Norwich is so rock'n'roll it's not true!!!
I'll defend my adopted home to the hilt!
But I saw the best gig in the best atmosphere I've seen in a long time, the main act played just under 2 hours, we watched a great football match as well, and was still home by 11.40pm.
Elvis did seem a bit wistful when he sang "I would rather be anywhere else but here tonight"...... but I wouldn't have swapped it for anything else. :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Norwich forum is getting stuck into Elvis -

http://new.edp24.co.uk/forums/shwmessag ... eID=187266

extract -

'When he finally took to the stage, without apologies, ('Let's be 'avin'
yer!") he was roundly booed, and when a glassful of well-deserved beer
was accurately thrown over him and one of his posh guitars, scattered
applause and cheers were the result. EC just grinned, wiped off the
frets and carried on - though if you could tear your eyes from his
grinning mug you'd have caught the spectacle of Gestapo-like security
guards with powerful torches, combing through the crowd for the
miscreant.'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... 6.0.8.1024

Rolling Stone - The Week in Weird

Having spent enough time toiling in the record store trenches to appreciate the notion that the customer is always wrong, we heartily applaud Elvis Costello for his recent decision to screw over a paying audience and then rub their noses in it with a flipped digit. The irascible song-and-dance man thought that watching his favored soccer team -- Liverpool FC, for those keeping score at home -- play a championship game was more important than performing at the University of East Anglia. Costello showed up more than two hours late and then turned in a truncated performance that consisted largely of him trading insults with angry concertgoers. As a result, some folks asked for a bit of a refund, leading Declan to counter-offer this jibe: "Those who've asked for their money back should stay at home reading their cookbooks over a nice cup of Horlicks, while listening to their K-Tel collection of Punk Rock classics." Better that, some might say, than a disc of the Brodsky Quartet fronted by an aging Buddy Holly . . .
Fishfinger king

What a kerfuffle....most of it nonsense.
Here's the setlist as best as I can remember.
Pretty sure the songs are right, the order might not be:
Welcome to the working week
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio
Button my lip
Country Darkness
Needle time
Less than zero
Brilliant mistake
I don't want to go to Chelsea
Good year for the roses
Kinder murder
Watching the detectives
You'll never walk alone
Tonight the bottle let me down
Clubland/I feel pretty
Monkey to man
Alison/Suspicious minds
Why don't you love me like you used to do?
The delivery man
I can't stand up for falling down
High Fidelity
You really got a hold on me
Oliver's army
Peace love and understanding
Heart of the city
Pump it up
The scarlet tide
Just the 27/29 songs!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:Stick to cocoa, Costello tells fans

27 May 2005

Tina O'Connor, from Norwich, who sings in a local group and plays pubs around the city, said she was unim-pressed with the apparent disrespect Costello had shown towards people who had paid £25 for tickets.

"We left about half an hour after the start because we had to work the next day," she complained. "The way he treated his fans just left a bad taste.
That has got to be one of the funniest comments about the whole thing. No wonder Elvis issued his humourous response.

Elvis came on at 9.30pm and poor diddums Tina had to leave at 10pm. Most headline acts don't come on until 9pm anyway.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

johnfoyle

Re: Norwich ' Elvis's stage time will now be 9.30pm.'

Post by johnfoyle »

I gather this sports person has retired, prompting Elvis to reference a related event

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 4040299521

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... y_30,_2005