Robert Downey Jr - crazy about Elvis Costello

Pretty self-explanatory
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Robert Downey Jr - crazy about Elvis Costello

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

In Metro ( a free newspaper for commuters ) there's a regular feature entitled On My iPod where celebs choose 6 tracks.

This Monday's edition featured Robert's choice of Police, Steely Dan, Harry Nilsson, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen and Elvis Costello. He had this to say about Almost Blue:
I'm absolutely crazy about Elvis Costello and I think that this might be one of the best smoky jazz songs of all time. Their musicianship is so tight - you can tell that they're all just insanely gifted.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And didn't I read him say somewhere else recently that IB was his record to take if his house was burning down?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And didn't I read him say somewhere else recently that IB was his record to take if his house was burning down?
Which, in Robert's case, isn't such a farfetched proposition.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
sexysadie7

lay off the poor guy

Post by sexysadie7 »

awww...don't knock him. he is a doll, regardless of his past problems.

i don't know about you, but i think he has handled all of the teasing about his past with tremendous decorum.

rock on with your bad self, robert! you have a home with us all here! :D
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Considering, he's got a reputation for being a good guy to work with, and he's insanely talented actor, though a bit of an underachiever because of the troubles. Also an OK singer. (He does fine singing for himself, as opposed to mouthing records, in one or two sequences in the recent movie version of "The Singing Detective.")

Strikes me as one of those people who's troubles makes his friends all the more protective of him. I did see him at a public appearance once where he did fine, but he talked really, really slowly. At the same time, he was appearing with director Curtis Hanson, right after "Wonder Boys" came out, and Hansen was public encouraging him to take up directing. This was before his last (and let's hope permanent) recovery.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Apparently, Robert loves Elvis so much that he's written a piece about him for the next issue of Uncut.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut , Sept . 05

ROBERT DOWNEY JR

IN MY CIRCLE, THERE WERE two schools of opinion around 1982-83. You were either with The Police’s Synchronicityor you were with Imperial
Bedroom. I was an Imperial Bedroom man and I still am.

I think Costello has done great stuff before and since. Right up to the present, with albums like North, he still has the capacity to astonish. He takes all these forays outside pop music, and they’ve been interesting too. But, for me, Imperial Bedroom is the one. When it first came out, I was buying nickel bags and doing off-Broadway theatre. My first impression of it was that I could imagine someone spending their entire life thinking an album like this out, having enough life experience, getting the musicianship right. There was just so much on it. So many words, so many ideas. And every song is a triumph. It took me about I0 yearsto even begin to understand it.

I never understand people who don’t rate Costello as a singer. He’d sound good off-roading at 70mph with those guys from Jackass trying to tattoo his ass. You could pull him out of a dead sleep and he’d sing like a bird. On songs like “Beyond Belief” and “Man Out Of Time’: his singing is so beautifully effortless. I can see why someone would make a case for Get Happy! or Armed Forces as his finest work. He’s made so many great albums, but Imperial Bedroom is the one that says: “This is where the bar has been — now how about this, you fuckers?” It’s my favourite album of all time, and I suspect it always will be.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Bob, I might be drunk but I love what you wrote !!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

“This is where the bar has been — now how about this, you fuckers?”
I love it!
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Can anyone tell me who this guy is, his name rings a bell but I don't have the time or the patience to learn about all these american celebrities, who, by the way, all seem alike.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sorry, haven't got the time or the patience for that one. You're on the internet, for crying out loud. Time and patience? You could have found out in the time it took you to type that.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I don't know how I found the time or patience to read those last two posts.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Sorry, haven't got the time or the patience for that one. You're on the internet, for crying out loud. Time and patience? You could have found out in the time it took you to type that.
I dont have the time and patience for celebrities or their lives, not who they are and what they do, I simply don't give a flying f*ck on that one.
I'm sick and tired of american celebrities.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

thomasso wrote:I dont have the time and patience for celebrities or their lives, not who they are and what they do, I simply don't give a flying f*ck on that one. I'm sick and tired of american celebrities.
All of them? Even David Hasselhoff?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

thomasso wrote: I dont have the time and patience for celebrities or their lives, not who they are and what they do, I simply don't give a flying f*ck on that one. I'm sick and tired of american celebrities.
Um, so why ask the question in the first place?
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

thomasso wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Sorry, haven't got the time or the patience for that one. You're on the internet, for crying out loud. Time and patience? You could have found out in the time it took you to type that.
I dont have the time and patience for celebrities or their lives, not who they are and what they do, I simply don't give a flying f*ck on that one.
Yes, because Canada has so much better celebrities.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

daybreaker wrote:Yes, because Canada has so much better celebrities.
Hey, Pamela Anderson is Canadian, daybreaker!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Canadians still have the shame of Celine Dion though. . . . . :roll:
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Canadians still have the shame of Celine Dion though. . . . .

Ouch! That should silence the mounties for a while. :lol:
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

lostdog wrote:
thomasso wrote: I dont have the time and patience for celebrities or their lives, not who they are and what they do, I simply don't give a flying f*ck on that one. I'm sick and tired of american celebrities.
Um, so why ask the question in the first place?
A: Because I needed to know what all you people were talking about
B: To disturb

daybreaker wrote:
thomasso wrote:
Yes, because Canada has so much better celebrities.
Thank god it dosn't have better or as many as America, we're much better off without the dingbats (Xcept Bob Dylan and bunch of others who are worthy of that fame...and yes, David Hasselhoff).}

Celine Dion does suck, though...sorry for all you Quebequois.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

thomasso wrote:A: Because I needed to know what all you people were talking about
B: To disturb
I love you man, you're the funniest thing on this board.......

(if only you knew it.....)