The True Songs

Pretty self-explanatory
millen

The True Songs

Post by millen »

I don't know if this belongs here... but anyways...

So I noticed - duh, who hasn't? - that after EC records his new songs, they set out and try to learn them, and seemingly, more often than not, songs live tend be differently played than on the album, like the song grows into its real form - or something hippy-talk like that.

The moment I thought about this I wondered: where does that leave the album? If the real song delevops it self while being played live, doesn't that make the album version a kind of fraud? Maybe he should play a new song until it is fully developed and then release it played live only.

Of course this is an idiot way of thinking, but still, what do you think? Just imagine for a sec it isn't dumb. :wink:
Zombies man, they freak me out.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

I don't mind songs changing and evolving over time, although I tend to think of the album versions as 'the real ones'...
One thing that does irritate me on live recordings (oxymoron..?) is when he's dragging the lyrics behind the melody,then garbling them quickly towards the end of a line, very prevalent in EC & Steve Nieve gigs... I'm usually driving along in my truck singing along with something, then I have to stop and wait for EC to catch up with the lyrics...my first thought is

'SING IT PROPERLY,MAN!!!'....(properly being 'like you did on the album'..)

followed rapidly by my second thought, which is

'sing it how you like, it's your song...sorry for shouting just now...thanks for all those songs, by the way....'
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I thought that little delay in the vocal line was often due to the acoustics in the venue.

Elvis' voice is very loud, and sometimes the stage monitors with the other instruments can't be turned up too loud because that will generate unwanted feedback. Then, if the out-sound is really loud and the venue isn't "padded" enough, the song will bounce back to the stage with a little delay, and often louder than the monitor sound, which tends to trick performers. And Elvis has said he's a crap drummer and can't keep time.
What this world needs is more silly men.
millen

Post by millen »

anjabro wrote:'sing it how you like, it's your song...sorry for shouting just now...thanks for all those songs, by the way....'
Hah!
Brilliant
millen

Post by millen »

King Hoarse wrote:And Elvis has said he's a crap drummer and can't keep time.
He played the drums on a live gig? :shock: wow
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I dont think he has ever played drums at one of his own shows, though I think he played a bit at one of the Pogues shows in the autumn of 1985 when the Pogues drummer was otherwise indisposed.
LittleFoole

Re: The True Songs

Post by LittleFoole »

millen wrote:I don't know if this belongs here... but anyways...

So I noticed - duh, who hasn't? - that after EC records his new songs, they set out and try to learn them, and seemingly, more often than not, songs live tend be differently played than on the album, like the song grows into its real form - or something hippy-talk like that.

The moment I thought about this I wondered: where does that leave the album? If the real song delevops it self while being played live, doesn't that make the album version a kind of fraud? Maybe he should play a new song until it is fully developed and then release it played live only.

Of course this is an idiot way of thinking, but still, what do you think? Just imagine for a sec it isn't dumb. :wink:
I don't mind songs being done "differently" live as long as they're done well......same with picking up demo versions and alternate versions of studio tracks - variety is the spice of life. Besides, if a performer was going to perform every song live identically to the studio version, then why waste all the $$$ on tickets/babysitter/dinner out and the time invested in all of the above ???
Sometimes, songs done differently live are better, sometimes not...and it's a very individual interpretation anyways..... It's cool that songs can be interpreted and changed over time, as opposed to being "static" like a painting - you paint it, it's a painting....you write/perform a song, you have the luxury to explore the nuances and countless possibilities that exist within....ummmmm, OK, am going to stop, now...am starting to feel all hippy-dippy , and s#!t....hehheh 8)
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

There is the other side of the coin to consider, especially with Elvis: what about the songs he tours prior to releasing the album proper? I remember being at 3 of the run of Beacon Theatre shows in 95, and thinking how great it would be to hear You Bowed Down on crystal-clear CD, minus the live muddiness I experienced way back in the balcony. That version was so urgent and in your face that I was actually disappointed when ATUB finally came out. I thought it had lost a lot of what made it pop in concert. Gladly, my faith was restored years later by the demo on the Rhino bonus disc.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

That sounds like everyone's first impressions of 45 & esp. Alibi.
What this world needs is more silly men.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

King Hoarse wrote:That sounds like everyone's first impressions of 45 & esp. Alibi.
Alibi.

Absolutely ruined on WIWC.

One of the hungriest songs he has composed in years reduced to a bloated, plodding never was.

What a shame.