Old SNL Query

Pretty self-explanatory
SweetPear

Old SNL Query

Post by SweetPear »

I was watching an old Saturdat Night Live from 1991 with EC as musical guest. He played The Other Side of Summer and So Like Candy w/GE Smith and the SNL band. This was during "the bearded" years, and my question is......well, actually, my husband was watching /me and commented on how black EC's hair was but his beard was almost bright red. He thinks the beard was fake.
Anybody know the deal?
I'm not angry anymore....
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Old SNL Query

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

SweetPear wrote:I was watching an old Saturdat Night Live from 1991 with EC as musical guest. He played The Other Side of Summer and So Like Candy w/GE Smith and the SNL band. This was during "the bearded" years, and my question is......well, actually, my husband was watching /me and commented on how black EC's hair was but his beard was almost bright red. He thinks the beard was fake.
Anybody know the deal?
It was probably just the TV lighting. That was one ugly hat, eh?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Quite an ugly hat!

Yeah, could have been the lighting. I actually didn't take much notice of the color dif between the hair and beard until husband made mention....but during the second song w/out the hat, it was pretty noticeable. His hair was obviously very dark and turned red at exactly where the beard began. No big deal, just a curious thing.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Oh, the beard was quite real. Anytime you see EC with facial decorations, they tend to be reddish. (John Lennon had that too; could be an Irish thing?) The Memphis DVD features lots of sweaty reddish fuzz.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

In another post, I mentioned that I recently saw this performance again as well. Definitely natural. But I could not get over the "fishin hat." As I was half asleep, I did a double take before I realized it was him.
TheImposter

Post by TheImposter »

I think it is an Irish thing. My hair is about as dark as EC's but whenever I grow a beard, plenty of red sprouts up.

He somewhat resembled early Plastic Ono Lennon when he played "All You Need Is Love" at Live Aid.

Image Image

Well, a little JL and a little Shane MacGowan. Which is probably what he was going for. :wink:
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hehe, my hair is dusty blonde but my beard is red, maybe I've got Irish blood? ;)
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Chrille wrote:Hehe, my hair is dusty blonde but my beard is red, maybe I've got Irish blood? ;)
Same here.....ummm, well, it used to be more blonde, now it's more dusty....hehheh...beard still comes in reddish, though :lol:
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

My brother's goatee is red, while he has jet black hair. So yeah, I'd bet it's natural.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Ofcourse, we could be freaks.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Dark blonde with red beard too, like several friends of mine.

I always thought it was a Scandinavian thing, and that the Irish were more straight red, but there you go.
What this world needs is more silly men.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Definite reddish tint during my own personal "beard year."

Chalk up another tiny thread in the enormous Irish-Jewish double-secret connection.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

bobster wrote:Chalk up another tiny thread in the enormous Irish-Jewish double-secret connection.
This is probably not the place to talk about my roommate's ex-boyfriend's screenplay that he called, "The Irish Jews." One of the worst pieces of tripe I've ever read, but he seemed quite proud of it. He was thinking of sending it to HBO for them to make a short film.
bobster

Post by bobster »

If he named his main character "Leopold Bloom" there may be a copyright issue there.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

With all due respect to your hubby SP, Im still comtemplating how absolutely bizzare it would be for Elvis (or anyone else for that matter) to be walking around with a false beard for several years, red or otherwise.

Perhaps we have all been duped by ZZ Top and their beardy image!

:wink:
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I can't attest to the other members of ZZ Top, but during the early 90s, Billy Gibbons was a regular customer of mine at the Kinko's on Union Ave. in Memphis, TN. He was a hell of a nice guy, and his beard was definitely real. However, he rarely wore it 'combed out' unless he was doing a show or a public appearance. Most of the time it was a lot tidier, and a lot smaller looking.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Mike Boom wrote:With all due respect to your hubby SP, Im still comtemplating how absolutely bizzare it would be for Elvis (or anyone else for that matter) to be walking around with a false beard for several years, red or otherwise. :wink:
No respect for my hubby necessary. He was just being a trouble maker to begin with. Teasing me about Elvis and then getting me all stirred up about some this or that.
I didn't give the beard a second thought at being fake. I've seen lots of guys with two tone hair and beards.....but with Elvis and the state of mind he was in during those "bearded years".....ya know, any freaky thing could've been possible. :wink:

BUT ANYWAY....it's all just silly......I just got my KOA reissue and I hate the colorization. I always liked that cover too.