Suggestions for TJL reissue

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Expert Rites

Post by And No Coffee Table »

vriesman99 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EB ... oding=UTF8

Amazon lists 19 tracks for the first disc, leaving Expert Rites off. I assume that's a mistake from Amazon?
Yes, that is definitely a mistake.
verbal gymnastics

Re: TJL bonus disc

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The imposter wrote:I expect this will now be omitted from the re-issue programme.
Well, from this reissue anyway. No doubt all these and more will be on the re-reissue.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Brian_Wallace

Post by Brian_Wallace »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote: BTW - looking at the catalogue numbers of the UK reissues, there's a 'gap' :

MANUS101 - MAIT
MANUS102 - TYM
MANUS103 - AF
MANUS105 - GH

Are they leaving room for Live @ El Mocambo?
I could be wrong here but in the original announcement of the Rhino reissues weren't there plans for a "Taking Liberties?" Now, "Taking Liberties" has a special place in my heart because it was the second Elvis cassette (that dates me) I ever purchased. It was the only place I could find "Chelsea."

Now, obviously, the bonus tracks on the reissues make reissuing "Taking Liberties" with the original tracklisting redundant but I always assumed that when the entire reissue campaign was all over, they would issue a "Taking Liberties" featuring the best rarities that missed out being on the bonus discs. Hence, "Taking Liberties" could be a fifty-disc box set, but I digress.

Maybe that's what goes in the MANUS104 slot.

Brian
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Brian - never assume anything where Elvis is concerned!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Brian_Wallace wrote: I could be wrong here but in the original announcement of the Rhino reissues weren't there plans for a "Taking Liberties?" ... Maybe that's what goes in the MANUS104 slot.
Back in the Ryko days, Macombo was catalogued as DPMAN4, with MAIT, TYM and AF as 1, 2 and 3 respectively. I would assume (there's that word again) that a similar slot was reserved for a Rhino version of the album; besides, a Taking Liberties/10 Bloody Marys-type collection would be better slotted in after Get Happy. But I digress. Whatever happens, I'm hoping the Rhino/EC relationship doesn't end with the Juliet rerelease. It's been nice knowing that there's stuff on the way for the past five years.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like "The Juliet Letters" is delayed in the UK (and Europe?). Amazon in the UK has now April 24 as a release date.
See:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 85-7250062
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nunki's notes on this have been updated -

http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/tjl.html
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

johnfoyle wrote:Nunki's notes on this have been updated -
That's another sad consequence of the end of the Rhino reissues (unless we hear otherwise): no more new Nunki notes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My Juliet Letters reissue just shipped from Best Buy. It's an Elvis extravaganza!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

wardo68 wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:Nunki's notes on this have been updated -
That's another sad consequence of the end of the Rhino reissues (unless we hear otherwise): no more new Nunki notes.
I don't think the reissues will (ever) stop.
(Isn't it almost eight years ago that Painted From Memory was issued?)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's the reason why the UK/Ireland of TJL has been put off for a few weeks, there's going to be a firesale of the past re-issues.

£5.99=$10.52/€8.63
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:Here's the reason why the UK/Ireland of TJL has been put off for a few weeks, there's going to be a firesale of the past re-issues.

£5.99=$10.52/€8.63
Amazon in the UK has the same sale.
Could this mean something? Is he going to change from recordcompany? Is he going to put his backcatalogue for sale on the internet?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My copy arrived this morning. Nothing much new in EC's liner notes. Bristling at criticisms of his classical and jazz-oriented projects. Will give it a listen later.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You can hear TJL (not the bonusdisc) stream here:

http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases ... faultTab=4
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Nothing much new in EC's liner notes. Bristling at criticisms of his classical and jazz-oriented projects.
They are new notes, right? Not just a reprint of the notes from the original release?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

wardo68 wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Nothing much new in EC's liner notes. Bristling at criticisms of his classical and jazz-oriented projects.
They are new notes, right? Not just a reprint of the notes from the original release?
The old liner notes are reprinted with a 3-4 page addendum, plus notes on each bonus track.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's the Rhino page for this -

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetai ... mber=73363

No new info.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 6kxukr0~T1

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Looking back on it, it's remarkable that Warner didn't sue Elvis Costello for making deliberately noncommercial, non-representative records, the way Geffen did with Neil Young in the '80s. After all, it's not just that he made a record as anti-pop as Mighty Like a Rose, it's that he followed it with a full-fledged classical album, The Juliet Letters -- "a song sequence for string quartet and voice," recorded with the Brodsky Quartet. It's inspired by a Verona professor who responded to letters addressed to Juliet, of Romeo and Juliet fame, too. Given this history, it's little wonder that the record didn't storm the charts, but it is remarkable that Warner, even with their reputation for being an artist's label, decided to release it, since this just doesn't fit anywhere -- not within pop (especially in the grunge-saturated 1993) and not within classical, either. Of course, that's precisely what's interesting about the record, and if interesting didn't signify any rewards with Mighty, it does here. This is a distinctive, unusual affair that, at its best, effectively marries chamber music with Beatlesque art pop. And there are a number of moments that work remarkably well on the record, such as "I Almost Had a Weakness" and "Jacksons, Monk and Rowe." True, these are the songs closest to straight-ahead Costello songs, yet they're still nice, small gems, and even if the rest of the record can be a little arch and awkward, it's not hard to admire what Costello and the Brodskys set out to do. And that's the problem with the record -- it's easy to intellectualize, even appreciate, what it intends to be, but it's never compelling enough to return to. More experiment than effective, then.

[The Juliet Letters was the last of Elvis Costello's albums from 1977 to 1996 to receive an expanded double-disc treatment in Rhino's extended reissue campaign, finally appearing on its own in March 2006. Given the unusual collaborative nature of the project, there wasn't as much unreleased music and rarities as there were for other Costello albums, so this second disc winds up as a clearing-house for highlights from Costello's art projects of the '90s. Eight of the 18 tracks date from the Meltdown Festival Elvis curated in 1995; two of these -- "Gigi" and "Deep Dead Blue" -- were originally issued as part of Deep Dead Blue, his EP with guitarist Bill Frisell, and there is one other song from that set, "Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue." In addition to these songs from Meltdown, there are the three non-LP songs from the 1993 promotional EP Live at New York Town Hall: Jerome Kern's "They Didn't Believe Me," Tom Waits' "More Than Rain," and Brian Wilson's "God Only Knows." Also included is "She Moved Through the Fair," a Costello-sung traditional folk tune that appeared on the Brodsky Quartet's 1994 album Lament, and another Costello/Brodsky collaboration on "Lost in the Stars," plucked from the 1997 tribute album September Songs: The Music of Kurt Weill, plus three parts of "Fire Suite" that were recorded with the Jazz Passengers and released originally on Roy Nathanson's 2000 LP Fire at Keaton's Bar & Grill. Considering the variety of sources, spanning the better part of the decade, it's not a big surprise that this disc isn't particularly cohesive -- particularly in comparison to its parent disc -- but there's a good batch of interesting music here. Not always good -- the version of "God Only Knows" is awkward, for instance -- but even the stumbles are worthwhile listening for those who appreciate The Juliet Letters, and the best of this, like "Fire Suite," is quietly sublime.]
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This album is now also available on iTunes in the USA (with the bonustracks!).
And No Coffee Table

Interesting. This is the first of the Rhino reissues to be available from iTunes (although the original Spike and Mighty Like A Rose albums have long been available).

I notice, however, that the six songs licensed from other record companies ("She Moved Through The Fair" and the John Harle and Roy Nathanson tracks) can't be downloaded individually, and "Lost In The Stars" (which Rhino apparently licensed from Elvis) isn't listed at all.

Still, it's a start.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
wardo68 wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote: The old liner notes are reprinted with a 3-4 page addendum, plus notes on each bonus track.
I noticed some revisionism in the notes -- the original text credits "my wife, Cait" for pointing out the article about the professor in Verona; here the reference to her has been removed ("there was a tiny newspaper item").
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 6kxukr0~T1
Looking back on it, it's remarkable that Warner didn't sue Elvis Costello for making deliberately noncommercial, non-representative records
Well, given that he went to the head of Warners, Lenny Waronker, and sought permission to make "The Juliet Letters" (as revealed in the new liner notes) it would be a little odd if Warners had then sued him. EC promised that the album would sell at least 100,000 (huge numbers for a contemporary classical album). It has currently sold 300,000, so in actual fact it was a good investment for Warners (considering they didn't spend money promoting the album). TJL did make the Top 20 in the UK - so if it didn't chart in the US, I dunno ... a Top 20 placing would indicate that it was a commercial album. Maybe a case of a national inability to know a good album if it bit said nation in its collective arse?

And ... has anyone noticed that this time EC didn't disown the "FBI Anti Piracy Warning" on the back of the CD? Maybe he doesn't check these reissue CDs as closely as his new stuff. I note the liner notes mention that he will be playing in Sydney, Australia with the Brodskies in 2006. That actually happened two months ago, so I guess he wrote the liner notes some time last year. It's clear that Rhino have been sitting on this CD for months. It would have made sense for them to re-release "The Juliet Letters" in Australia at the same time that "My Flame Burns Blue" was released there (January) as EC was performing with the Brodskies.

Bu oh yeah, I forgot. Record companies and "make sense" aren't concepts that go well together. I'm sure that record company types would tell me "hey PoP, we don't make much money out of artists like EC". Well I'm sure, but I usually buy several CDs a week, so you're sure making a lot of money out of me and people like me. When the major record companies have all gone bust in a few years time they'll sure wish they'd have listened to us, non? And they might wish that they'd handled their prestige acts (eg, Elvis Costello) a little more wisely. Or maybe they'll just blame it all on something else (like they usually do) you know, like downloading, or global warming, or something. :wink:

PoP
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

The date at the end of the notes is October 2005.
And No Coffee Table

thepopeofpop wrote:It's clear that Rhino have been sitting on this CD for months.
It's clear that Rhino sat on EC's liner notes since October, but that's not really the same thing as sitting on the CD. EC wrote his liner notes before the bonus disc contents had been finalized.

(The 18 songs had been chosen by October, but not all of the specific performances had been selected for the live tracks at that point.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

' 'Dear Juliet': Seeking Succor From a Veteran of Love'

see

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 2300#82300