Elvis & The Pickups 26 April 2005 Norfolk, VA

Pretty self-explanatory
Goody2Shoes

Elvis & The Pickups 26 April 2005 Norfolk, VA

Post by Goody2Shoes »

My ears are ringin' and my dogs are howlin', but holy mother of god, what a great show! General admission, standing crowd packed like sardines in a small club. Elvis came out all by himself in the goofiest of white cowboy hats just after 9PM, I think, and they didn't wind it up till almost 11:30. I dutifully attempted to keep track of the setlist, but I dropped my pen, and while I would do a lot for my friends here, I wasn't going crawling around on that floor. So here's what I have:

Radio Sweetheart - Jackie Wilson Said (EC alone)
No Action - joined by Pete and Davey
Red Shoes
Radio Radio
Pads, Paws & Claws
Nothing Clings Like Ivy
Running Out Of Fools

Pen on floor. End of futzing with setlist. Sorry.

A very similar set list to the Baltimore show, if I remember correctly. We got no So Like Candy, but we got Brilliant Mistake! David Hidalgo is simply brilliant, if a little scary-looking, but they all seemed like they were enjoying the loud, energetic crowd. Elvis attempted what appeared to be dancing at one point. His voice sounded a bit rough around the edges early on, but then he let loose with some first-class, spine-tingling shrieks during Pads, Paws & Claws. He perhaps regretted that during Scarlet Tide, which he had to restart after the first few lines, as his voice went completely out. He ended up getting through it, including the off-mic final verse, but just barely. I thought Pete's drum kit was going to come apart during Mas y Mas.

I don't know, but I think they enjoyed it as much as I did.

And now, Goody's Standing General Admission Etiquette Tips:

1. If you are 6'6", please consider standing in the back of the room. If you choose not to, plant your feet and don't move 'em. You are perhaps not aware and people behind you have situated themselves in such a way as to maximize their line of sight, and, well, when you flail about, the sight lines go kaput.

2. If you must have a constant infusion of liquids, please situate yourself nearer to the bar.

3. If you have a bladder the size of a pea which must be emptied every other song due to the constant liquid infusion, please stand nearer to the restrooms.

4. If you find you must have sex during Watching The Detectives, please remove yourselves to the back of the room, or better yet, the restroom. If you feel you cannot wait that long, please, please, PLEASE don't lean on the mild-mannered middle-aged lady standing behind you. The phrase "third wheel" has new and graphic meaning to her this morning.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow - sounds like a great show. Reminds me a little bit of the 2003 two-set gig in Providence (minus Hidalgo of course). I was right up next to the stage and the place was packed and rowdy as hell. I think EC really prefers these small club gigs, and he seems to dig into his back catalogue a little more when he plays in this sort of setting.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

maybe they weren't having sex. maybe they were looking for your pen.

yeah. that's the ticket.

I'll say it again - you do have the most interesting friends, G2S.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

No, they didn't get on the floor. It was more of a standing ovation.

Oh, and they ain't my friends, per se, but I've never felt more intimately connected to fellow concert-goers.

More of the set list, no doubt out of order and imcomplete.

Kinder Murder
Watching The Detectives (will never have the same meaning for me again)
Uncomplicated
Clown Strike
Country Darkness
Bedlam - extremely wonderful David Hidalgo guitar
Needle Time - also really good
Monkey To Man
Dust
Bertha
Matter of Time
Mystery Dance
Brilliant Mistake - Hidalgo on accordion.
American Without Tears - ditto
Why Don't You Love Me
The Monkey
Alison/Suspicious Minds
Mas y Mas - absolutely ripped it up
Pump It Up
Love That Burns
Heart of the City - !
Peace, Love, Understanding
Scarlet Tide
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Goody:

Your situation is exactly the same I experienced when Elvis played the UCLA Ackermann Pavillion in 2003, his first standing only dance-hall format show in a long, long time. There was a very tall guy with red/blonde hair that bore a strong resemblemce to MArk McQuire, the one-time baseball Cardinal Home run leader. His significant other was significantly sauced. They were very entertaining and actually enjoyable through the warm-up acts, but grew intimate and affectionate during some of the Elvis staple tunes. They were real fans, as they knew the catalogue, and it occured to me that they make it too a LOT of shows.

Heck, maybe he or she is posting here. SO, message to big guy: If you are the guy that helped boo Autolux off the stage (after a warm reception for The Like) and then yelled "Down Goes Frazier...Down Goes Frazier" in the best Howard Cosell imitation I have ever heard when Autolux threw up their hands and charged off the stage, stand up and be counted!
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

goody's not a "lady" anymore!!!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050426.php

2005-04-26: Norfolk, VA, The Norva
Elvis Costello with the Pickups
- John Treffeisen

Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said - Elvis solo acoustic
No Action - Pete and Davey enter stage
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Radio Radio
Pads, Paws & Claws
Nothing Clings Like Ivy - Elvis on Wurlitzer organ
Running Out Of Fools - Elvis on Wurlitzer organ
Kinder Murder
Watching The Detectives
Uncomplicated - David Hidalgo enters stage
Clown Strike
Monkey To Man
Bedlam
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Dust 2…
Bertha - Hidalgo on lead vocals
Matter Of Time - duet by Costello and Hidalgo
Brilliant Mistake
American Without Tears
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
Alison/Suspicious Minds
The Monkey
Mas Y Mas - Hidalgo on lead vocals
Pump It Up
Love That Burns
Heart Of The City
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
The Scarlet Tide
johnfoyle

Re: Norfolk

Post by johnfoyle »

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/norva-n ... e-memories

August 6, 2009

By Malcolm Venable

(extract)

On Monday, The NorVa will celebrate its 2,000th show with a performance by Sugar Ray. That’s a lot of candles for a celebratory cake, but exactly how big a deal is 2,000 shows? Or, for that matter, The NorVa?

Artists you remember

Frankie: Elvis Costello.
He’s usually someone who spends all day on the bus, but he came in and hung out in his dressing room. Artists just can’t believe what they see. I’ve never had a problem with a band.
johnfoyle

Re: Norfolk

Post by johnfoyle »

Memories of when Elvis performed with a lineup without Steve.

On that occasion Steve was busy in London finishing the recording of his album Welcome To The Voice.