North download?

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

North download?

Post by martinfoyle »

According to this gobbledygook on the EC listserv, North may be downloadable. Good luck, I can't make head nor tail of it.

-North popped up on SoulSeek last night...

For Those who know: Add PaisleyGuy to your Userlist and browse...

For those who WISH to know: got to http://www.slsk.org and download the client
and install it...
then right click on the User list, add PaisleyGuy (note capitals), right
click on the username and browse the files until you find what you seek...

told you i'd find it...
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Thank you Mr Foyle!
There are at least 3 different users on SoulSeek, and another 2 on Kazaa, with the complete album - including the Japanese bonus track! :D
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
perfectblue

Post by perfectblue »

i've got it... have a decent connection...

user: perfectblue
let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Are you people going to buy North when it comes out?

I'm just curious, not sanctimonious...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
perfectblue

Post by perfectblue »

i think the thread where we all talked about mp3s is now defunct so i can't reference you there, but if north were available now, i'd buy 2!
let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Given a choice I'd buy the CD every time.

But record companies play silly buggers with our cash, and make things hard to get (e.g. the EC/SN box set), expensive to complete (e.g. Japanese edition bonus tracks), or keep changing the format (how many times have we bought My Aim is True?).

Therefore, I feel no guilt about this sort of thing.

Plus, if they announce that an album is ready, but won't be released for months they are inviting piracy.
girl out of time

in the wee wee hours

Post by girl out of time »

....i´ve spent all of the night downloading north........i´m completely worn out.....for what i´ve listened.....you left me in the dark is one of the highlights....i´m off to sleep now.....tomorrow i´ll give ya all a better report........

cheers!

.....by the way........i´m definitely buying the album.......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
girl out of time

another highlight

........still...ya guys.....still.........check it out!

i´m in the mood again......so is elvis!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

If something is available to be listened to ahead of time, I will listen to it, however that needs to be accomplished. If I don't like it, I stop listening to it. If I do like it, I buy it. If I like only a song or two, I generally download those two and stiff the artist. My rationale is that I wouldn't have bought the record anyway, so it's the same difference.

But with artists like Elvis, REM, Radiohead, Bowie, etc...I always buy the album, whether I downloaded it or not. I like supporting them. The only stuff by such people I download (in lieu of buying) is B-sides and hard-to-find stuff. But if I can find it, and the price isn't ridiculous, I buy it.

I know this. I've spent more money on music as a result of downloading new things than I did before napster.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I knew I shouldn't have deleted my Kazaa
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
A rope leash

Pilferage

Post by A rope leash »

sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Good one, rope!!

:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Danny

So....

Post by Danny »

....who's heard North now, and what did you think? I must know!!! The more detail the better!
verbal gymnastics

Re: So....

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Danny wrote:....who's heard North now, and what did you think? I must know!!! The more detail the better!
Not me! I'm gonna wait until it's officially released. I'm still savouring the new edition reissues...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

I've listened to it a few times now and must say that it is extremely downbeat. I'm growing to love it, but I think the uncommitted Elvis fan will find it hard going.

There are some absolute classic songs in there that will last much longer than some of the offerings from, say, When I Was Cruel. I think in the long term it will be viewed as yet another highlight in Elvis's catalogue.
Four eyes - one vision
girl out of time

north

i´ve spent a few hours listening to north.......so far, i really like the 4 first tracks -a gloomy kind of Elvis, the one we love. You left me in the dark already a fave!. The rest of the album is ok except for this song Let me tell you about her...(i don´t like it one bit) alongside with When green eyes turn blue and the bonus track North they might be the weakest tunes in the album.
Costello´s voice is in perfect shape: so mellow it melts your heart. There are a couple of really interesting musical arrengements.

This is a good record....you will enjoy it!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I listened for the first time yeasterday. It's nice background music. There are a couple of tracks I like pretty well. But--and this is important to me--I don't remember a single tune today.

Nothing is in my head. Not even a snatch of a tune. I seem to remember a cool saxophone part towards the end. I'm going to listen again several times, as I really want to like this record. But right now it seems a little light.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Okay, I've been burstin' to talk about this! I've been listening to a copy of "North" over the past couple of weeks or so and I really do think it's a beautiful record. 'Still' is one of the more soppy ones lyrically but it's got a killer melody, possibly my favourite. I've a soft spot for 'When Did I Stop Dreaming?', and unlike Noise I was humming 'You Turned To Me' days after I'd heard it on the radio a few weeks ago. I'd say 'Fallen' is probably the blandest.

Listening to it for the first time, up to track 7 was excellent....but not breathtaking, the rest was just wonderful. On the second listen it was vice versa. So all of it must be good! You'd have to be more than a casual EC fan to appreciate it fully. Or incredibly patient.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

What record would you say it's closest too? More Painted from memory...or more Juliet Letters?

Is there as much piano as promised?

What do you think the single will be?

:twisted:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It's closer to PFM, but it's not too much like either. It's more like the song Almost Blue (though none of the tracks are that strong. But that's the feel).
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I listened again today, and I like it much better the second time around. I will need to listen several more times. But my wife, who's not crazy about his voice, liked this record pretty well. And we both laughed out loud at several of the cleverer lines.
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Likin' it

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, well I have managed to hear this stuff now. (And I will most assuredly buy the record!)

I agree with Bunny that YOU TURNED TO ME is a hummer, and that plus WHEN IT SINGS and STILL are my faves so far. LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HER is kind of annoying (although it made me cry for obscure personal reasons...) but in just the way he's accusing himself of being in the song! So, one for the ga-ga in love folks, perhaps. Also, it takes a lot from the little 'prologues' (I'm sure they have a name... Bobster?) to all those '20s/'30s songs, especially the one to the Rogers and Hart tune A LITTLE BIRDIE TOLD ME SO. And that's fitting, cause that's just the sort of standard he's aiming to write here, I'd guess.

For those who haven't heard any of it, I think the comparison to the song (not record) ALMOST BLUE is apt, but even moreso UPON A VEIL OF MIDNIGHT BLUE. It would fit perfectly on here.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay have been listening to this almost non-stop for the past 36 hours now, and I am officially in love with a big fat middle chunk of the record, from tracks 4-9. I think CAN YOU BE TRUE is the gorgeous sleeper for me, and also FALLEN-- that latter one unfolds slowly but the words are beautiful, and once you get a handle on melody, it's solid. Actually that can be said of many of these melodies-- they take some patience, but suddenly they're there, all of a piece, and you feel you've known them forever. If anything, the first three tracks are the weak section, but Lord knows I always change my mind about these things!

Let me reiterate I will be buying this CD-- I feel very strongly about this!!
Last edited by selfmademug on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pov

Post by Pov »

OK, I've listened to the record twice now. I'm still getting used to the melodies and I haven't digested all the lyrics yet, but here's my $.02 so far:

1. Elvis has said that the album is thematic, which I take to mean that it loosely tells a story. Can anyone tell me what that story is? Seems to me at first blush that it is something about love being lost with one person then found again with someone else, and then maturing (not a big surprise there given his personal life).

2. Overall, the record reminds me of some of the songs on the Sinatra Columbia Years set.

3. Jonathan Schwartz will love this album. Those of you who listen to WNYC (New York public radio) on weekends will know what I mean.

4. To me, this is a late fall album. I imagine listening to it in my living room, with a fire going, sipping a brandy, while it's brisk outside and the leaves are almost all fallen off the trees.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Pov wrote: 2. Overall, the record reminds me of some of the songs on the Sinatra Columbia Years set.
Especially Only the Lonely!