North download?

Pretty self-explanatory
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Is soulseek (http://www.slsk.org) still up and running?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

SoulSeeker occasionaly 'goes down' but I've not known it stay off for more than an hour or so.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
absolutnut

Post by absolutnut »

You need to download a fix for it to get on right now...

Their site at http://www.slsk.blogspot.com :

Thursday, September 04, 2003

A temporary DNS fix client is available here. I recommend you backup your *.cfg files before you install this, just in case. If clicking directly on the link doesn't work, try right-clicking it and selecting "save...", that should do the trick.
Nir 12:12 AM

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

We currently have domain name troubles. Until we get those fixed you won't be able to connect We are working on a workaround, we will keep you updated.
arzenik 7:59 PM
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Well not for the first time, I'm with Otis on this. I haven't read the lyrics and I haven't even considered downloading the album. This is not a sanctimonious rant. I just think that the release of an EC album is a special event - one to savour. September the 15th is a date emblazoned on my brain. I cannot think of anything colder and sterile than downloading music. I like something tangible to hold and to cherish. I like to feel the plastic jewel case in my hand and to read the sleeve notes. I love that rush of slipping it into the player (nothing sexual....honest!). It hasn't got the same romance as vinyl had but it's better than all that technical bollocks for me.

I can tell you exactly where I bought every EC album. From when I picked up Armed Forces in 1979 (i was a latecomer) at Golden Discs in Dublin and sat on the bus silently pleading for the driver to speed up, to when I ran out of Virgin in Milton Keynes last year and nearly broke my thumbs trying to get the plastic film off the case.

There is something almost religious about these events. Sitting in the car with my head back as the first chords of 45 bashed out, or the crazy manic beginnings of 'This Town', the lipcurling snarl at the start of 'No Action', the Jaunty intro to 'Love for Tender'.

The opening tracks of the first listen to every new EC album is pearl of an experience for me. He always seems to get it right. I wouldn't miss that for aynthing and I will continue to stand at the record store every Monday that a new EC album is released until either he stops making music, or I drop dead (hope the latter comes first!) :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

Jackson Doofster wrote:September the 15th is a date emblazoned on my brain. I cannot think of anything colder and sterile than downloading music. I like something tangible to hold and to cherish. I like to feel the plastic jewel case in my hand and to read the sleeve notes. I love that rush of slipping it into the player (nothing sexual....honest!). It hasn't got the same romance as vinyl had but it's better than all that technical bollocks for me.
since you said Sept. 15th, i can assume you are UK based? If so, you can get that vinyl feeling with North, since it's coming out on vinyl there on the 15th as well.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

It's out on vinyl as well? Hmm, I'm well tempted there. May get it just for the bigger cover picture....
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Having had the pleasure of listening to North for a couple of weeks, you're in for a treat if it's new to you on the day of release.

I envy you that first listen in the way that I envy people who haven't heard, say, Get Happy or been to see Galaxy Quest at the movies!
Four eyes - one vision