Brilliant Mistake/True Love Ways 7" single

Pretty self-explanatory
John

Brilliant Mistake/True Love Ways 7" single

Post by John »

Just received this e-mail from 101cd.com

This limited edition single is released to pre-empt the forthcoming reissue of King Of America. The title track was cruelly overlooked by RCA when this was originally released, a shame as it's an fine example of EC at his songwriting best. The b-side is a glorious live version of Buddy Holly's 'True Love Ways' Due to it's limited availability demand will be high, so it's first come first served on this one.

http://www.101cd.com/music/info.asp?id= ... sptnr=3777

They said this about the album

King Of America was Elvis’ first album without The Attractions (although they appear on one track) and points the way for much of his future career. Produced by the Grammy winning producer and songwriter T-Bone Burnett, the album features hand-picked top flight session players, from jazzmen Ray Brown and Earl Palmer through to members of Los Lobos and Tom Waits’ band. The album contains some of Elvis’ best-loved songs in “Indoor Fireworks”, “Brilliant Mistake”, “I’ll Wear It Proudly” and “The Big Light”, which still feature in his live sets. The bonus disc contains 21 tracks, arranged chronologically, 9 of which are previously unreleased! The disc includes solo demos, both sides of the single by The Coward Brothers (Elvis and T-Bone’s alter egos), outtakes & seven tracks recorded at New York's Broadway Theatre in October '86, with the Confederates. There's enough material on here to keep Costello fans happy for a long time to come!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

limited to 2000 according to the JE site.
signed with love and vicious kisses
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

But isn't the live "True Love Ways" part of the expanded re-release anyway?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

......but its on 7" vinyl -

ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

Point taken re: vinyl.

Boy, if we're talking about regrettable photos, this one has to be at the top of my list!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Rubbish. It's one of my favourites.
Do our american cousins really not get irony???
He couldn't look less imperial.
Better than your current "king". :?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

the cover of Punch The Clock is the bad photo - looks like he could be the synth-tech for Human League.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Sadly, 101cd reports that this release has been cancelled!!!!

http://www.101cd.com/music/info.asp?id= ... sptnr=3777

:(
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The exact wording is -

'This title has been deleted and is currently unavailable to order.'

- I'm choosing to believe ( and hope!) that means that it is sold out ie. they have received enough orders to use up their supply.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

101cd.com have just e-mailed me -

23/03/2005 1 x ELVIS COSTELLO -
BRILLIANT MISTAKE/ TRUE LOVE WAYS (7" single)

Processed/Shipped on 15/04/2005

Great!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetai ... mber=73190

ELVIS COSTELLO
Brilliant Mistake/True Love Ways [Vinyl]
$6.49 Vinyl

It looks cool, it sounds great, it's perfect for a jukebox or singles collection. A limited-edition white vinyl 7" in an exclusive picture sleeve. The A-side is the King Of America single "Brilliant Mistake." The B-side is a live recording of the Buddy Holly/Norman Petty-penned "True Love Ways," performed by Elvis Costello & His Confederates at the Broadway Theater in New York on October 23, 1988.

Selection # 73190
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I got back to this cd after hearing "I'll Wear It Proudly". It stunned me. This cd was another Sgt Pepper's Pet Sounds! I hope that adding tracks won't make this classic a mere collection of songs.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
alexv

Post by alexv »

John, I think the True Love Ways performance was in 86.

I remember it vividly because of the following Kasey Kassem moment: the prior year my wife and I married, and not finding any EC song suitable for a "wedding song" (this was pre GGMS and SHE), we chose True Love Ways. A year later, at the Broadway Theater we get hit out of the blue with EC's rendition. "And this long distance dedication goes out to AlexV and his lovely bride...."
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Extreme Honey wrote:I got back to this cd after hearing "I'll Wear It Proudly". It stunned me. This cd was another Sgt Pepper's Pet Sounds! I hope that adding tracks won't make this classic a mere collection of songs.
It's a fucking single, not a new version of KoA.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

alexv wrote:John, I think the True Love Ways performance was in 86.

I remember it vividly because of the following Kasey Kassem moment: the prior year my wife and I married, and not finding any EC song suitable for a "wedding song" (this was pre GGMS and SHE), we chose True Love Ways. A year later, at the Broadway Theater we get hit out of the blue with EC's rendition. "And this long distance dedication goes out to AlexV and his lovely bride...."
I should think it was a typo. Elvis wasn't touring with the Confederates in 1988. It's fair to say Mr F knows his stuff.

Unless I have misunderstood you, did Elvis dedicate the song to you on stage? If so, cool! You would have to get a bootleg of that show.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
alexv

Post by alexv »

VG, sorry for the confusion. The part in my post about the long distance dedication was just an (ineffective) attempt at comedy: in the US we have this radio guy named Kasey Kasem (who is also the voice for Scooby Doo, by the way) who for something like 50 years has done a schmalzy radio show of the week's top hits, and he always includes a totally lame section where some listener tells a tearful tale of woe or love leading to a "long distance dedication" to the object of their affection. Thus my "imagined" dedication from EC to us. EC has no clue we exist.

What blew us away at the show was the serendipity of our wedding song, relatively obscure at the time being covered by EC, out of the blue. He may have done it before, but in those pre-Net days there was no way I would have known.

These days, thanks to people like Mr. Foyle, I would have known instantly, which is why i agree that the 1988 reference was just a typo.