Mistress and Maid

Pretty self-explanatory
LessThanZero

Mistress and Maid

Post by LessThanZero »

Does anyone else here have Paul McCartney's recording of Mistress and Maid? I think it's on the Off The Ground album.
Anyway, after the line "fix you your fav-or-ite drink" there's this cackle sound in the background.

Is that Elvis??
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I don't have it... although I think that track off of ATUB bonus disc is one of the best one there...

was thinking about buying Flowers in the dirt though, anyone else have this? Is it worth a listen?

:twisted:
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

laughingcrow wrote:I don't have it... although I think that track off of ATUB bonus disc is one of the best one there...

was thinking about buying Flowers in the dirt though, anyone else have this? Is it worth a listen?

It's Macca's last good album to date, imo. EC commented that it was a bit over-produced, and he's right. Still there's a number of great tunes on it, well worth checking out.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I think that's McCartney LTZ. Both Off The Ground and Flowers In The Dirt are really good. Hope Of Deliverance is as good as any solo Macca, and there are some impressive melodies as usual -- notably C'Mon People.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/ ... ?aid=32216
This review makes a few relevant points on OTG, for what it's worth. On FITD, I like Macca's My Brave Face better than EC's. That bass is killer, so joyful.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I was just going through my mum and dads records...and found that they have got Off the ground... listened to the track...

hmm, this versions not as good, and that 'cackle' or disgusted yawn is disturbing... I hope it's not EC!

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Actually, it must have been McCartney's Mistress And Maid that I liked more than EC's, not My Brave Face. I don't think I've heard EC do MBF, but PM's version is still great.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've heard EC do MBF as part of a segue on solo tours. I don't particularly like FITD but I'm not a fan of Mr Thumbs-Ups solo stuff anyway.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I've been listening to FITD in the last few days because of this thread... That Day Is Done is particularly good also besides MBF, but now I've got Distractions stuck in my head. "DIstRActiONs...". If somebody likes Mr.Thumbs-Up at all they'll probably like this album. I didn't find the production a nuisance, it gives it good unity.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

In my opinion, Flaming Pie is a much better album than Flowers In The Dirt. FITD has some great songs, but suffers from really terrible production values. For that reason, I very, very rarely listen to it.