1979 , Get Happy sleevenote/'highwire Elvis'

Pretty self-explanatory
wardo68

Re: 1979 , Get Happy sleevenote/'highwire Elvis'

Post by wardo68 »

My Columbia cassette starts with Love For Tender. Just sayin'.
jardine

Post by jardine »

since its release i've started w. i.c.s.u.f.f.d. it really is powerful how, even when the cd came out in a different order, i still started w. track 11. at first release I simply built up an experience of the "real running order" myself and was simply confused but actually uninterested in the side names etc.

habit? what i got used to? the "really real" running order? doesn't matter to me anymore. i can't "start" w. l.f.t. and hear the album i know. ...even if himself declared love tenders as track one it wouldn't help me now.

it is also simply wonderful that all these many years later, what was probably some sort of jokey publicity glitch still is alive and well. i think it was an interesting "trick" then and still do think that...

a bit like the "trick" of the inside-out armed forces sleeve...a non-statement statement of something (not)artistic.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I had imagined that if the promo 45s were for genuine promotional activity rather than a gimmick to get fans to shell out large amounts of money for them(like I did) then they seem to indicate to the unwary radio jock or whoever they had been sent to, that the first track is Love For Tender. Besides doesn't Riot Act sound like a killer album closer ?
Anyway, I've played bass along with this so many times I'd probably fall to pieces if the order was changed now - I'd never use the shuffle function on my CD player - how OCD is that !
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wikipedia reckons 'The original album sleeve reversed the two sides; side one began with "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" (the current single) and ended with "Riot Act". The second side started with "Love for Tender" and ended with "High Fidelity". Only on the record labels themselves was the true running order revealed.'

Had a quick google search for any ref ever from EC on this. No it's not in the notes, but my search did lead me to page one of this very thread, commenced nearly five years ago. What goes around...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Otis, I'm in your camp if that helps. Riot Act was always the end to Side 1, it would be far too cliched to end side 2 with this song.
Where's North from 'ere?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Even "A Singing Dictionary" lists the songs with LFT first and RA last, it's amazing how many sources seem to be in on the joke.
Where's North from 'ere?
krm

Post by krm »

I certainly stopped trusting the labels after having bought the Nick Lowe LP Rose of England. The label is actually quite funny! So applying this on my Get Happy!! copy, it means for me that sleeve is right and label is wrong!
Attachments
cowboy outfit.jpg
cowboy outfit.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 13935 times
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

The fact that the (multiple) EC-sanctioned CD reissues list the order as starting with LFT and ending with RIot Act should make this a no-brainer. You think EC, being who he is, would let them publish the wrong order to continue a silly prank pulled decades ago? Come on.
migdd

Post by migdd »

The Rhino reissue had it right. The song-cycle of Get Happy is an unending circle. Start where you must but you'll always end up where you began.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's a vinyl ' rip' of Get happy!!!

http://audiophile13.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... s-get.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/DFacobbre/status/957888722040696833

Rare Elvis Costello and the Attractions Get Happy! Israeli cassette, on the Pyramid label with insert; dig those paper labels and that Premier Super sound.

There are 9 per side. Beaten to the Punch and The Imposter are missing, answered the Tweeter after a query.

This from a UK edition, via Discogs

wardo68

Post by wardo68 »