EC on BBC Radio two with Mark Lamarr and Victoria Wood !

Pretty self-explanatory
Eamonn Singer

EC on BBC Radio two with Mark Lamarr and Victoria Wood !

Post by Eamonn Singer »

EC was the final guest on Mark Lamarr's show on BBC Radio 2 this morning. The other guest, who hung around for EC's appearance, was Victoria Wood, who failed to get many words in once EC was in full flow.

Listen again here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ EC will be about 2 hours 30 minutes into the show.

Nick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thanks for this.. listening now.

Is it just me, or does Elvis *always* have a cold or the flu or something?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Thanks for the link.. We saw Lemarr outside the apollo after the EC gig.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Must be a fan. He was right behind me (sitting with Jo Brand and bitching about fellow media folk) at the RFH gig. Any other celebs spotted at this last gig? (No Clint Eastwood, I guess.) Anyone see Paul Morley?

Can't wait to listen. He always comes on for J Ross when on tour here, so nice to see the tradition continued with ML as stand-in.

Victoria Wood was the teenage girlfriend for a few intense years of a great friend of mine who died last year. He was from Rochdale, she was from Bury, and they met in the local theatre group. They used to write and play songs together for hours on end. He went to a swanky London drama school, she went to Birmingham (like me!), and she found out via a letter left in her flat that he was two-timing her. At the time she was putting extra 'vents' in his flares (c. 1970), and the gag that she used in her stage show for a long time was that he had the nerve to write after they split up and ask her to forward the flares once hypervented. She wasn't at the funeral, though the flowers she sent ended up in our house! My brush with celebrity. The friend went on to be less well-known, but had a varied career as an actor and writer (and a great musician in his spare time). He got obits in a couple of broadsheets, his main claim to fame being that he was the first person to be both an actor in and then a writer of Corrie. He was Terry Bradshaw in the 70s, and then was responsible for the writing the death of Brian Tilsley in the 80s.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
John

Post by John »

Interesting that Elvis suggests that King Of America is the album from his back catelogue he is most happy with.
Lemarr did phrase the question a bit strangely, something along the lines of "which album did the job the best?".

I for one wouldn't argue with that choice.
Otis Westinghouse

Which sounds more like 'which album was the most successfully realised in the studio?' rather than 'which is your personal fave?' Good to know he's proud of it, especially if it indicates reissue ahoy.
Otis Westinghouse

Really enjoyed it. Brilliant answer to 'Does it still excite you?', or however it was. Elvis goes on a gleelful, breathless exploration of all the people he met and places he went while doing TDM, and Mark L then said 'I think you've more than answered the question'! Loved the account of the Lisbon audience going 'Sh', and then him realising they were calling for She, all a lot of the audience knew him for. They played it the second night, as they had to learn it first. Guess it will have gone by now, as it only stays for the week. Mark Lamarr has gone up in my estimation as a huge fan (though I do respect his huge love and knowledge of some obscure areas of certain genres).
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Wendy James was talking to Jonathan yesterday. It was funny.

Nice Victoria Wood story, Otie. I've never much cared for her stand-up stuff, but I am rather excited to have nabbed a ticket (courtesy of my brother) for Acorn Antiques at the Theatre Royal Haymarket in a couple of weeks. I'm sooo excited! Mrs Overall is my heroine. :lol:

Otis Westinghouse

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Wendy James was talking to Jonathan yesterday. It was funny
Any mention of EC?

Enjoy Acorn Antiques. As VW said, Julie Walters is a true star.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any mention of EC?
As Otis would tell you , Ms James trotted out the same old story ie. meeting Pete Thomas in a hotel bar in L.A. , jokingly asking if Elvis would write her an album , his 'knocking it out' in weekend ( jokes from Ross about 'knocks out what? oh , the songs!' ) , the recording , recordings not going well ( 'recorded in France , mixed in L.A. etc' - 'Sounds awful !! - joked Ross) , musicians being very mercenary etc. etc. Ms James continued with the usual spoilt girl whinge about finding herself blah , blah , blah. Ross jokey indifference was clear when he asked her what she had been doing in the 'seven years' since , which sounded better than the actual correct figure of 12. To slam home further his polite swatting of Ms James he then played Party Girl from Armed Forces , introduced by his co-presenter as an album that he had 'happened to be listening to this week'. Yeah , right....

http://www.theracineworld.com/

Otis Westinghouse

Won'tbe checking that one out off the website then!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

And by "It was funny", I meant in the tragic, desperate, whinging Wendy James way. She got on my nerves.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFrien ... 90,00.html

Poor Wendy whinges some more -

( extract)

The next step for James was her post-Transvision solo album, Now Ain’t the Time for Your Tears, written especially for her by Elvis Costello in 1993. But this too left a sour aftertaste, after the rock elder statesman bashed out an instant album of just-add-water punk-pop ditties written from the viewpoint of a giddy young starlet besotted with West London rock mythology.

“That was the nasty thing,” she says. “It was Elvis getting a bit of his vitriol out without having to be accountable. He perceived me to be a giggly girl who just really, really loved the Clash. It could have gone a nice way, Elvis could have actually come and helped me. But the party line was literally: ‘I banged it out over a weekend’.”

James abandoned the album and accompanying tour after a few shows. “I decided that I can’t sing other people’s songs any more, simple as that. I want to be the artist, not the conduit for someone else’s art.”
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Must be a fan. He was right behind me (sitting with Jo Brand and bitching about fellow media folk) at the RFH gig.
I know JB is a huge fan...i remember her being on GLR maybe ten years ago, and she was totally rhapsodic about EC (after being asked about her favourite music; not just out of the blue...) I remember she said something like 'some people think he's clever clever, but I just think he's clever....'

She picked Invisible Man as her favourite track, if memory serves...