There's A Story In Your Voice
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Nothing Clings Like Ivy
Pump It Up
Bedlam
Shipbuilding
Oliver's Army
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
I Want You
The Scarlet Tide

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.elviscostello.info/concert/0 ... ristol.php

Review of concert from 2005-02-12: Bristol, Colston Hall - with the
Imposters

Nick Ratcliffe

Bristol sees new song played

Two hours twenty five minutes with no encores. The band and EC were onstage the whole time. EC was in good voice. Mystery train was introduced as "A little song we learned today". It may appear again..... You'll see from the above that the set was drawn from many different albums from MAIT to the present day.

Highlights were "In the darkest place" leading into "Favourite Hour" and a slower than usual version of "WIWC#2". Also the closing "The Scarlet tide" sung off-mike and a spooky "I want you" dramatically lit in purple. More guitar changes than I care to think about, but no broken strings, and all the effects pedals seemed to work. An interesting Imposters take on "Our little angel", with good backing vocals from Davey on the chorus. It was a bit like hearing the Coward Brothers, with drums and piano. It was introduced with the evening's only bit of chat from EC, all about early gigs (with Alan Mayes?) playing at the lonely hearts club, catholic girls looking like Dana, except less sexy, sitting opposite fifteen sweater guys (like EC) and one on the end in a regimental blazer and a weak moustache trying to be Leslie Phillips. Not much talking between songs, - those from TDM got introduced, others mostly didn't. No suggestion that "There's a story in your voice" is the new single.

In Oliver's army, the three rivers (The Mersey and the Thames and the Tyne) remained unchanged. An opportunity missed.

The audience in the seated venue remained seated until Monkey to Man, then remained standing. The stalls were full but I couldn't see the circle. For "Hidden Charms" Elvis used a 150 dollar "antique" electric guitar with a label (price tag?) still on it. He sang into the pickups.

Clothes-wise, EC was in a dark suit with dark shirt and a blue tie with pink flowers on it and those silver pointed boots. Steve was in a jacket and tie with dark trousers. The jacket came off about twenty songs into the set. Davey was in a suit without a tie, and had his hair slicked back - no hat. Pete was in a dark T-shirt.

On now to Warwick later today......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely 'Mystery Train' is, if it's not a version of the the 1950's song made famous by Elvis Presley , the song from the Mighty Like A Rose sessions that was included on the recent re-issue of same.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Bit gutted if 'Mystery Train' is a new version of 'Just Another Mystery', I love that song. BWAP will also be a bit disappointed about 'Our Little Angel' as he was hoping they'd do that at Hammersmith.
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Relax so lacklustre ; I've since logged onto listserv -

John E wrote:

> Is the song that was played in Bristol called Mystery Train, the old
song
by
> Little Junior Parker? .
>
> Or is it a new song?

Nick replies -

It is the old song cowritten by Little Junior Parker and Sam Phillips,
it
goes like this and in the Imposters version, fairly rocks.:

Mystery Train
(Herman Parker/Sam Phillips)

"Train arrive 16 coaches long
Train arrive 16 coaches long
Well that long black train
Took my baby back home

Train train rolling round the bend
Well it took my baby
Away from me again

Went down to the station
To meet my baby at the gate
Ask the station master
If her train is running late
He said no if your wait
on that old 44
I hate to tell you son
But that train don't stop her anymore

Well it took my baby
Away from me again

Heard that whistle blowing
It was the middle of the night
When I got down to the station
The train was rolling out of site

Mystery train rolling round the bend
Mystery train rolling round the bend
Well it took my baby
Away from me again"

Look out for that train now y'all.

With this additional note -

Coincidence or not, you decide:

A railway locomotive has been named after The Clash frontman Joe Strummer at a ceremony in Bristol. -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 256619.stm

Later that same day, at a gig in the Colston Hall in Bristol, EC and
the Imps give their first performance of "Mystery Train".

So, OK, if they'd played "Train in vain" there'd be a stronger connection. And I guess playing "Straight to Hell" although apt in one sense, isn't really the best way to honour the dead.

Sadly there is no direct service from Bristol Temple Meads to Skaville
at any time of day............

Glen adds -

I wasn't aware of this prior to seeing your link this morning but I'm 100%
certain and I'm sure an aud recording would confirm it,that at the end
of Mystery Train,Elvis said *that was for Joe*.

I remember thinking at the time that it must be a reference to Strummer
who of course was living fairly close to Bristol when he died,down in a
village in West Somerset.

So it doesn't look like a coincidence.
Eamonn Singer

Bristol

Post by Eamonn Singer »

If I could take over from John Foyle for a moment, with thanks to him for sharing with you my posts from Costello-L.....

The eleventh song played in the Bristol Set was "Mystery Train", as recorded by Elvis Presley and numerous others. It was not "Mystery Dance" or "Just Another Mystery"

I am grateful to Glen for his observation about EC's dedication to Joe Strummer at the end of Mystery Train. I didn't catch it myself, but I will ask my other friend with the mini-disc player and the bulging pockets whether it made it onto his recording from last night's show. I'll let you know what he says.

Nick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Heard about the Strummer train, so that's a nice little additional point. Similar scenario to London, in terms of setlist, and just not bothering to get off stage before the encore, which is quite astonishing for a 50+ singer. Same shoes, too. Would have loved to have heard Our Little Angel, but Suit of Lights was a great replacement.

When was the last time EC opened a show with a song from the latest LP, oh triviameisters? Seems to be very standard on this and the last few years that he starts with e.g. Accidents Will Happen or 45 (North tour) or Miracle Man (WIWC tour), and then after 3 or 4 songs gets to a newie. How heavenly is it to see them stroll on stage and unfurl Blue Chair? I suspect it's yet further evidence that he's been studying this board closely and is paying his respects.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Fishfinger king

Bristol

Post by Fishfinger king »

Well worth the trip East to West...
Highlights:
Our little angel - seems to be a different KOA song every time
Mystery train - another Elvis to Elvis connection
Favourite Hour - absolutely fantastic
There's a story in your voice - just EC on vocals
High Fidelity - long time, no hear
Great to do the whole set in one go with no artificial encore breaks. Davey adds a lot in terms of having background vocals live. Steve is still the essential imposter/attraction in spite of seeming to follow my own waistline proportions! :)
charliestumpy

Mystery train

Post by charliestumpy »

Even a low bit-rate e.g. .mp3 of Mr Costello's Bristol Joe Strummer/train song made available would be gratefully appreciated thanks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.epost.co.uk/displayNode.jsp? ... ebarsearch

Bristol Evening News

Feb. 14 '05

SONGCRAFT MASTERCLASS
( name of reviewer not listed)

As well as his early spiky pop, he's dabbled in writing for string quartets, collaborated with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney, and even knocked out an opera. Backed by The Imposters, a superb band which includes former Attractions Steve Nieve on keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums, Saturday night's visit to the Colston Hall was a masterclass in British songcraft.

Although there's been many occasions in the past when an on-stage Costello announcement of "here's something from the new album" would have prompted a few stifled groans and raised eyebrows, his latest release The Delivery Man contains songs which rank among his very finest.

And far from settling into comfy middle age, he's still a songwriter with formidable bite.

His voice though has matured considerably over the years - and a more world-weary and weathered tone suits him well.

Kicking off with Blue Chair from mid-80s album Blood and Chocolate, he rattled through a cracking brace of openers which also included Radio Radio.

But if any proof was needed that he's still at the very top of his game, then it arrived with the one-two punch of Button My Lip and Country Darkness, both from the new album.

The former has a rollicking, swampy feel with its lyrics positively spat out by Costello. The latter was a beautifully rich ballad that Ryan Adams would give his right arm for.

Although Costello steers clear of radical Bob Dylan-style live reinterpretations of his material, there's still a playfulness on show. Needle Time is a case in point and features a bluesy breakdown where he gets to showboat with the crowd a little.

He has no real reputation as a guitarist to speak of but his lead and rhythm playing was outstanding - his muscular, aggressive style makes for great theatre.

Switching deftly between old and new material, Either Side Of The Same Town is followed by I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea (now known as the Ashley Cole Theme Tune in some quarters).

The alt.country acoustic strumalong of Good Year For The Roses remains a timeless gem too.

Steve Nieve puts in an appearance on the mellotron for a dramatic performance of When I Was Cruel No. 2 but in the main The Imposters, despite their undoubted musicianship, remain supportive rather than obtrusive - there's only one star of the show after all.

Seamlessly, the song morphs into a dubby version of Watching The Detectives which pushes the reggae influences on the track well to the fore.

It's no surprise that the rocking Monkey To Man finally gets the audience on its feet - although it does take them a leisurely 90 minutes to rouse from their Saturday evening lethargy.

There's A Story In Your Voice, although missing the superb vocals of Lucinda Williams which feature on the record, is another belter.

By now, Costello is in top gear and rattles through more highpoints from his past - I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, High Fidelity and Pump It Up all feature in quick succession.

Then we get Shipbuilding. Has there ever been a better British protest song written than that? I don't think so. It's a moment that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

There's more to come though as Costello rips through Oliver's Army and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding in a final onslaught where the tunes are all from the very top drawer.

He ends with the final track on the new album, The Scarlet Tide, bringing us right up to date. Costello may be something of a musical veteran but a dinosaur he most certainly is not. What a joy to see him in such fine fettle.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Glen tells listerv-

The reviewer was Steve Harnell.

Quite a large review for the Evening Post, almost half a page with a
big photo.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Would love to see Favourite Hour. Maybe in Norwich?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The news about Joe the Bristol Locomotive didn't reach Sweden, but it's a very good choice for a tribute nonetheless, not only because of the song itself, which I'm sure Joe loved, but also the fact that Joe played one of the major roles (alongside Steve Buscemi, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, etc.) in Jim Jarmusch's great Mystery Train film, about different visitors in a crummy Memphis hotel one night. And very well, I might add.

(Joe's alcoholic character with typical greaser hairdo hanging out in pool hall with big black guys, says "Don't call me Elvis. " (nods to two of the big ones) "I mean, I don't call them Sam & Dave, do I?" after which one of them answers grumpily, "Hey. My name IS Dave." Very funny scene.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
martinfoyle

Re: Mystery train

Post by martinfoyle »

charliestumpy wrote:Even a low bit-rate e.g. .mp3 of Mr Costello's Bristol Joe Strummer/train song made available would be gratefully appreciated thanks.
In case some of you missed it elsewhere, I put up an mp3 of this track here

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=38I5 ... C2LZHPMGC9

It'll be available for another 5 days
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Cool...thanks, kind sir !!!