Elvis in Oslo

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis in Oslo

Post by johnfoyle »

Translation , please!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kunst er ikke demokrati. Det er mer et snikende diktatur, sier Elvis Costello og sparker mot sine kritikere.

FOTO: ROLF ØHMAN

http://www.aftenposten.no/kul_und/musik ... 951847.ece

Publisert: 20. januar 2005-Oppdatert: 20. januar 2005 kl.09:14
Viktigere med fornyelse enn suksess
- Det er mye tungt og mørkt materiale på "The Delivery Man". Men når du fremfører noe på scenen, skal det være med overskudd og glede, sier Elvis Costello.
SVERRE OLE DRØNEN
London

- Kunst er ikke demokrati. Det er mer et snikende diktatur, sier Elvis Costello og sparker mot sine kritikere.

FOTO: ROLF ØHMAN

Elvis Costello fikk mange rare reaksjoner da han i fjor høst slapp to plater i samme uke. På papiret kan det synes som om "The Delivery Man", en videreføring av Costellos fascinasjon for tradisjonell amerikansk musikk, og "Il Sogno", musikk til en ballett basert på Shakespeares "En midtsommernatts drøm", ligger milevis fra hverandre. Selv er Costello av en annen oppfatning.

- Ved å slippe platene på samme dag ville jeg presentere dem som arbeider av lik verdi. Da jeg slapp "North", som var min ærligste, mest direkte og mest gjennomførte plate noensinne, fortalte kritikerne meg at det var den slett ikke! Istedet ble jeg fortalt hva jeg burde holde på med, sier Costello på sitt tørrvittige vis, der bare en hårsbredd skiller spøk fra alvor.

"Alt er personlig."

- Det er selvsagt helt legitimt at man ikke liker en plate. Men mange - spesielt mannlige kritikere, og de er jo som kjent i flertall - klarte rett og slett ikke å akseptere "North" slik den var. Bare fordi det ikke lød som noe jeg laget for 25 år siden.

Costello ruller med øynene bak brillene.

- Så jeg bestemte meg for å kortslutte problemet ved å si at disse tingene har lik verdi for meg. Alle disse tingene kommer fra mitt hode. De er alle personlige for meg. Arbeidsmetodene bak hver plate er åpenbart svært ulike. De er veldig ulike opplevelser. Men den ene er ikke en opphøyet intellektuell øvelse, heller et forsøk på å si noe jeg aldri har sagt før. Den andre er et forsøk på å si noe jeg har sagt mange ganger før, men på en annerledes måte. Derfor er begge platene like spontane.

Kritikere - og publikum - har gitt ham tommelen opp. Mens klassiske kritikere var forbløffet over den selvfølge Costello utviste i arrangementene på "Il Sogno", ble han hyllet av rock-pressen fordi han med "The Delivery Man" igjen utfordret konvensjonene for hva en rockeplate kan være.

Nytt og gammelt.

- Jeg tror at vi denne gang har en veldig sterk samling låter med en åpen struktur. Dette innbyr til spilling på konserter, eller også en ny plate, om jeg så skulle ønske.

- Da vi i høst gjorde en konsert i Memphis med tanke på en fremtidig DVD, plasserte vi sanger fra "Delivery Man" side om side med gamle låter. Da begynte gammelt og nytt materiale å snakke sammen. Som at hovedpersonen på "Delivery Man" er funksjonshemmet og jeg har en sang som heter "Blame It On Cain" som får folk til å tenke. Jeg har respekt for publikum og forventer at de bruker egen fantasi når de kommer på mine konserter, sier Elvis Costello på uforlignelig utfordrende vis.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

My Norwegian is a little rusty but http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml managed to get something that is almost passable.

Art aren't democracy. It is the additional a creeping dictatorship , say Elvis Costello and dismisses against her critics. photo ROLF ØHMAN

published 20. January 2005-
Up-to-date : 20. January 2005 kl.0914:

Significant along with renewal than success That is a lot difficult and dark material at " in spite of the fact that Delivery They ". But as you presenting any at scene , do be about facts be with it energy and delight , say Elvis Costello. BLADE OLE BOOM London Art aren't democracy. It is the additional a creeping dictatorship , say Elvis Costello and dismisses against her critics. photo ROLF ØHMAN Elvis Costello getting a good many rare reactions as he in inlets autumn listless dates back to disk's in additions week. At paper able facts fancy as if " in spite of the fact that Delivery They ", a continuation of Costellos fascinasjon for conventional American music , and Il Sogno ", music at a ballet based on Shakespeares " a midtsommernatts dream ", lie mile apart. Herself am Costello by an other notion. Against to admit disk's at the same day savage I present them as works at alike merit. As I listless North ", as stayed mine honest , mainly antipode and mainly carried out drive noensinne , telling critics my that it was it never! Instead of became I told what I ought carry on along with , say Costello at her pawky show , there only a hårsbredd differ gallows humour at earnestness. " all am in person " It is the obviously absolutely legitimt that they no matter likes a drive. But a good many especially male critics , and they are certainly as famous in majority mastered merely no matter to buy North " so it was. Only as a matter of facts no matter sounded as any I layer for 25 year afterwards. Costello coil along with øynene at the back glasses. Saw I assigned my to short-circuit difficulty against to say that these the things has alike merit for my. All these the things infer from mine head. They are all personal for my. The working method at the back apiece drive am apparent mighty different. They are awfully different adventures. But it ene aren't a elevated intellectual øvelse , rather a attempt on the to say any I never has said a prior. Other one am a attempt on the to say any I've said a lot of times a prior , but at a different moderately. Accordingly am both disk's equal spontaneous. Critics and audience rendered him inch up. As classic critics stayed aback above it matter of course Costello blur in set-ups at Il Sogno ", became he acclaim at rock - media as a matter of he along with " in spite of the fact that Delivery They " afresh challenge conventions for what a rockeplate can be. New and old. I believing that we this gait have a awfully solid accumulation sound along with a open structure. This mutual at gambling at concerts , or also another drive , about I saw do be about desire. As we in autumn doing a concert in Memphis with a view to a future DVD , seated we singing at Delivery They " abreast along with ancient sound. As began old and new material to converse. As that the principal character at Delivery They " am funksjonshemmet and I've a sang as am heating Blame It On Cain " as getting people at to think that. I've respect for audience and expect that they making use of own fancy as they comes at mine concerts , say Elvis Costello at peerless challenging show. :lol: :lol:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Dr. Spooky ..your Norweigian is not only rusty but lousy :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sverre sends listserv this translation -

"Progress and renewal is more important than success"'
Elvis Costello

EC: "There´s lots of dark and heavy songs on The Delivery Man. But when you perform something live, it should be with joy and surplus energy.

"Art is not democratic..it´s more like a sneaking dictatorship", Elvis
says, kicking at his critics.

Elvis Costello received a lot of strange reactions when he released two
albums simultaneously last fall. And on paper it might seem as if "The
Delivery Man", on which Elvis revels in his continuing fascination with
traditional American music, and "Ill Sogno", music for a ballet based
on Shakepeares´ "A midsummer night´s dream" are miles apart.
Costello begs to differ, though.

"By releasing the albums on the same day, I wanted to present them as
works of equal merit. When I released NORTH, which was the most honest and direct album I´d ever done, the critics told me that this wasn´t the case". Instead they told me what I SHOULD have been doing", Costello quips in his dry and witty manner.

"Everything is personal"

"Of course, it´s totally legitimate not to like an album. But many critics, especially of the male gender....and they ARE in majority, simply couldn´t
accept NORTH for what it was. Just because it didn´t sound like
something I did 25 years ago", Costello rolls his eyes behind his hornrims.

"So I decided to short-circuit the problem by stating that all my work
is of equal important value to me. All these thing come from my head. They are all personal to me.The working-methods on TDM and Il Sogno are obviously very different and they are unique experiences and adventures. But it´s not as if one is a highly intellectual exercise, but rather an attempt to try something I haven´t done before. The other is an attempt to do something I´ve done before, but in a new and different way. That´s why they are equally spontaneous".

His critics and his audience have given him the thumbs-up. While
critics of classical music were amazed at the competence Costello showed in the arrangements on "Ill sogno", the rock critics praised TDM, because once again Costello is pushing the boundaries for what a rock album can be and sound like.

New and Old

" I do believe that we have a very strong set of songs with an open
structure. It clearly invites to doing concerts, and maybe even another
album if I´m inclined. Last fall, when we did a concert in Memphis with the intent of making a live DVD, we put songs from TDM alongside some of my old songs, and they connected in a strange way, almost as if they were talking to each other. For example, the main character of The Delivery Man is named Abel and the fact that one of my old songs is called Blame it on Cain". I have the utmost respect for my fans and the audience, and I expect them to use their own imagination when they come to my concerts. " Elvis says in his challenging way.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

That's a lot better translation. :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sverre posted this to listserv ; he translated it from the print edition - it doesn't appear to have been included on their web site yet

http://www.dagbladet.no/

Dagbladet reviews Oslo concert

”ON OUR TOES FOR A HUMOROUS COSTELLO”

ELVIS COSTELLO, ROCKEFELLER, OSLO
AUDIENCE: 1.200

TWO HOURS OF ENERGY AND HUMOUR
REVIEWED BY KURT HANSSEN

When Elvis Costello asks you to take a seat in the “Blue Chair”, he
does not
expect you to sit back and relax. First of all, because there were no
seats
available at Rockefeller Music hall, but mainly because Elvis kept us
all on
our toes with an energetic, engaging and humorous concert. From the
opening
“Blue Chair”, it was two intense hours and Friday turned into Saturday
without anyone noticing.

Elvis Costello and The Imposters are on tour, mainly to promote
Costello´s
21.album, but he´s also more than willing to dig deep into his musical
past,
which is a veritable treasure-chest.
Basically, it´s almost like an old fashioned EC & The Attractions
concert,
the only difference being that Bruce Thomas is replaced by Davey
Faragher.
I´ll gladly admit that I missed the ingenious bass-playing of Bruce
Thomas,
but as usual, Professor Steve Nieve is brilliant on his array of
keyboards,
and Pete Thomas is the same utterly solid drummer as he´s always been.

The new songs from TDM, which, incidentally will soon be re-released as
a
double CD, is scattered throughout the set and he plays most of the
album.
Highlights included; “Heart-shaped bruise”, with Faragher stepping in
for
Emmylou Harris, “Country darkness”, and the beautiful “Nothing clings
Ivy”, while the title track will almost surely become another Costello-
classic.

He treated his old fans to some of his classics, like “Radio, radio”,
“Chelsea”, “Watching the detectives, and of course “Alison”, which
segued
into “Suspicious minds”. He did the same thing later on by letting;
“Either
side of the same town” segue into “Dark end of the street”.

During the night we were treated to a whole lot of tidbits from his 30
year
long career, done both with bitterness and with a great sense of
humour. The
latter is most apparent when he does unspeakable things with his
guitar.
Most solos are left to Steve Nieve, though and Elvis has got a strong
sense
of irony regarding his own guitar-playing. But then, almost at the end
of
the night, he plays a blues where he treats us to a beautiful guitar
solo,
that no one would´ve thought him capable of.
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

Can you please advise the date of the newspaper that this article came from. My filing system for articles on the Elvis Costello Home Page relies on this.

Thanks for the translation, too.

Cheers, JohnE
Tryin' to look Italian through the musical Valium.
The Elvis Costello Home Page: http://www.elviscostello.info
JohnE

Post by JohnE »

That photo from the first posting in this topic, from the Aftenposten review is obviously not from the current concert in Oslo. It looks like a WIWC-era photo to me. Hair length in now different, and shirt and tie are not of the current snappier style.
Tryin' to look Italian through the musical Valium.
The Elvis Costello Home Page: http://www.elviscostello.info
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Can you please advise the date of the newspaper that this article came from
Sverre mentioned to me , in a private e-mail on another matter , that the Dagbladet feature was in the Sunday edition ie. Jan. 22.

The other matter , by the way , was when he translated a Norwegian review of Graeme Thomson's bio of Elvis. G.T. had e-mailed me asking if I knew of anyone who could do it. Sverre helpfully did.

Graeme also tells me that Canongate's stock of the hardback of his book is 'out of stock' . The next time they will be issuing it will be the paperback edition , later this year.