Pretty self-explanatory
nick manho

cripes craps on costello

Post by nick manho »

read the great glen cripes on costello here:

http://nickmanho.blogspot.com/
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Same tired diatribe. Hardly brilliant. Have heard much more informed AND entertaining deconstructions of Costello elsewhere.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I just googled "hate elvis costello"- and it made me angry. :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Re: cripes craps on costello

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

nick manho wrote:read the great glen cripes on costello here:

http://nickmanho.blogspot.com/
Cripes is the right word. Utter garbage.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah... yuck.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Wow , Glen Cripes - what a zany , wacky name HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - and what a hard hitting review - you obviously know your stuff - I can just see you hunched over your apple powerbook giving the world some REALITY!!!!! - WHAT WE NEED TO HEAR TO SET US RIGHT ! - you are really the new Lester Bangs - you really nailed Costello huh?
WAY TO GO!!!!!!
RIGHT ON !!!!- its amazing - YOU BLOW MY MIND - I BET YOU REALLY LOVE SOME REALLY OUTRAGEOUS STUFF!!! I bet you like stuff that everybody else hates - I bet I bet I bet -----
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Bad Ambassador

Re: cripes craps on costello

Post by Bad Ambassador »

nick manho wrote:the great glen cripes
Never heard of him. That he can't write for shit doesn't suggest that I'm missing anything.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The most interesting thing about this is the "Man Out of Time" presentation. Punch the Clock and GCW predate some very strong material, not the least of them being Il Sogno.

If this review was written around the time of PTC and GCW, the sentiment wasn't all too absurd, as even many of the hard core Elvis fans were disappointed after the string of materpieces that preseded these two recordings. I will admit that starting with MAIT, and progressing one by one through these records, they were both disappointments at the time. We craved the old Elvis, and he had moved on to some degree.

In retrospect, and with the ability to view the past through lenses coloured by the entire catalogue to date, the review is insipid and weak (well, it is regardless of the lenses you are wearing). But some of us can recall that caveat emptor feeling when we purchased these vinyls, and rushed them home to the 331/3 direct drive, only to find something missing.

I have a new appreciation for PTC that I did not have before the reissue. Sounds like some of you have experienced a similar epiphany with GCW.

Not defending the guy. But timing is everything. It takes courage to overcome the letdown and renew the relationship. I wonder if this "Criminey" guy, or "Tripes" or whatever his name is has written anything more current...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)