Edmonton report/setlist

Pretty self-explanatory
little martinet

Edmonton report/setlist

Post by little martinet »

Hi guys,
here is the setlist from Edmonton, basically the same as Vancouver...the order might not be exactly right! I might have forgotten a few songs?

Edmonton July 23rd - w/Steve Nieve

Rocking Horse Road
Accidents Will Happen
Shot With His Own Gun
In The Darkest Place
Brilliant Mistake
All This Useless Beauty
Man Out Of Time
Still Too Soon To Know (unamplified vocals)
You Turned To Me
Fallen
Still
When it sings
God's Comic
Alison
Watching The Detectives
Almost Blue
====
Indoor Fireworks
Tart
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got A Hold On Me
North
====
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding
Couldn't call it unexpected #4 (unamplified)
====

Elvis was in fine form, chatting w/ the audience - during God's Comic he did his little pro-Dixie chicks thing, made fun of Alan Jackson ("he has a song where he says he doesn't know the difference between Iraq and Iran....(pause)...he could run for president!")...also During Almost Blue EC took over playing the piano while Steve was playing the Melodica (?? - the piano/harmonica thing?)...they seemed to be really enjoying themselves, it was cute. The audience loved it when he sang North!! Everyone got a huge kick out of the lyrics.

The audience was a bit hesitant at the beginning...when EC was clapping during 45, no one would join in, so I started clapping along (I was in the 5th row, EC looked right at me!), a few people joined in and at the end Elvis was like "we'd make a fine rythym section"! By the end of the show, people were singing along...when EC would sing without the mic, he'd step out onto the orchestra pit section of the stage, and by the end of Couldn't Call it Unexpected he was dancing around the edge of the stage and conducting the audience like a choir (even making us hold the notes for like 10 secs)!!!...all in all an AWESOME SHOW!!!!

...and the best part - I MET HIM after the show - I'll add that story to the other thread!!!!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Nice report lm, thanks. I do wish he'd tour over here soon. :x
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Elvis is king!
Costello in top form at Jube
By MIKE ROSS
Edmonton Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ELVIS COSTELLO
Jubilee Auditorium, Edmonton
Wednesday, July 23, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDMONTON -- Part of the fun of Elvis Costello is that you literally never know what he's going to do.

He has an astounding catalogue of original music it would take days to perform live. He could rock out. He could punk out. He once recorded an album of sinister parlour music with a string quartet. Maybe he'll do that. He worked with Burt Bacharach. Maybe show tunes are on the menu. Elvis can do country, too. He started his career in a country band, remember. Perhaps he'll pull out some sort of avant garde new wave David Byrneian pop noir music, whatever that is. Now he's going out with Diana Krall, so jazz is not outside the realm of possibility. Maybe she'll even show up. Elvis has got a new album called North due in the fall. God knows what it'll be.

In last night's case, people were willing to buy tickets when they didn't even know what kind of band Costello was going to have - the Attractions, the Impostors, solo, duo, it was a mystery - but only about 1,900 people. Elvis at the Jubilee Auditorium and it doesn't even sell out. What is the world coming to?

It turned out to be Elvis Costello and the Attraction - keyboardist Steve Nieve - and the performance was just as brilliant as fans hoped it would be. It was actually a little of all the styles mentioned above, delivered flawlessly, spontaneously, passionately, by the two musicians who could cover all styles and do whatever they wanted. Costello is an incomparable songwriter, a masterful performer and a darling of music critics everywhere for a reason.

Several reasons, actually:

ROCK CHOPS: The man has an angry side and expresses it well in angry rock 'n' roll. When he started in the late '70s, he fit right in with the British punk movement, or at least wasn't booted out. Last night, Elvis kicked on the distortion and started to growl in 45 - from the When I Was Cruel album. There was more energy being pumped off the stage than many bands I know, though it was only a duo.

INTELLIGENCE: Faced with covering one dumb rock band after another, music critics find Elvis's smart yet direct lyrics a breath of fresh air. They also all look like him.

THE VOICE: Intelligent songs aren't enough on their own. Costello has a fine ear and is only off pitch when he wants to be, but he has this raw, powerful, desperate quality to his voice that contrasts beautifully with his elegant music. Last night, he came on full force in the opening song, Rocking Horse Road. In Accidents Will Happen, he backed up from the microphone and wailed to great effect. In a strange, grand, Kurt Weill-like song called Shot With His Own Gun, with Nieve showing off his classical music chops, Costello's voice dropped to a cracked whisper. It was beauty and the beast.

ABOVE ALL, EMOTION: This guy is still singing heartbreak tunes written decades ago like it happened yesterday. Costello was especially convincing last night in songs like In the Darkest Place: "He won't love you like I do. In the darkest place I'm lost, I have abandoned every hope. Maybe you'll understand I must shut out the light." Geez, poor guy. Either Elvis is a great actor or has a really screwed up love life. We wish him the best with Diana Krall. Stay tuned for smoky jazz duets
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

"In last night's case, people were willing to buy tickets when they didn't even know what kind of band Costello was going to have - the Attractions, the Impostors, solo, duo,"

Ooh, I think we can safely rule out it not being an Attractions show...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
HungupStrungup

AND "Brilliant Mistake"?!?!?!?!?!?!

Post by HungupStrungup »

What a wonderful show that sounds like indeed. "Shot with His Own Gun" is not only a "strange, grand, Kurt Weill-like song," but when sung in a "voice dropped to a cracked whisper," I'll bet it was awesome.

Those of you who don't know Trust yet are in for a real treat!
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://pattimchugh.blogspot.com/2005/07 ... today.html

Patti blogs -

2 years ago today, I met Elvis Costello, one of my musical heroes (definately my favourite songwriter), in Edmonton. It was awesome.

Matt was supposed to come with me, but was stuck in Virginia working. So I went by myself.

Elvis was performing with his piano player, Steve Nieve at the Jubilee Auditorium, which probably only holds about 2500 people. I was in the 3rd or 4th row. It was such a good show!

So after it was over I decided to take a walk around the back of the auditorium, just to see if I could see E.C. at all...there were a few nerds there with stacks of vinyl to get signed (probably going directly on eBay)...anyway after waiting around for a while Steve Nieve came out followed by Elvis!! I waited patiently and didn't want to be too pushy, and he signed my When I Was Cruel CD liner...I told him I really liked the new songs he played (from North) and he looked me right in the eye and said 'thank you very much, I appreciate that'! Anyway I backed off a little so others could get their autographs, but then I decided to go back and ask for a pic...E.C. didn't mind at all, he was so nice! It's nice to meet someone you love like that and not be disappointed...I don't know how I would have felt if he turned out to be an asshole or something...

The other great thing about that night was that I was introduced to the wonderful music of Sondre Lerche. I'm so glad I went early to see the opening act! I had no idea who 'Sondre Lerche' was. I was seriously picturing like a female African folk singer or something...!!! And now he's one of my favourites. Now I'm kicking myself b/c I probably could have met him after the show too...

It cracks me up that for some reason I wore a David Bowie shirt to the show (especially since I own an Elvis Costello shirt!)...guess I didn't want to look like too much of a try-hard!
little martinet

I'm back!

I've been outed :shock:

Thanks johnfoyle for making me come out of the shadows here...I read this board all the time and I love it, I guess it's only fair that I actually post something from time to time!

Anyway, I'm glad to be back!!!
Last edited by little martinet on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

LM, it's great to know a bit about you!! My family's from Antigo-nowhere, Nova Scotia. If you look up my name in the Antigonish phone book there're about 200 of me. (Now there's a scary thought.)

Stick around!
little martinet

thanks SMM...I'm sure I could guess your last name right now without looking in the phone book :D