The uphill struggle ... slight return

Pretty self-explanatory
ReadyToHearTheWorst

The uphill struggle ... slight return

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

In a previous, now regressed, incarnation of this thread I told of the difficulties faced by yours truly in the task of Elvis education 'round my house. That is, the fambly think I'm obsessed, and that he's overrated, and so turn our man down and/or off whenever my back is turned.

Well, what joy! First born has started playing the 1st 3 albums! I had thought that my fatherly influence was finally bearing fruit, but it turns out that it's all down to her boyfriend. His parents have a 'proper' juke box, and he's in a late 70s time warp. He put Watching the Detectives on a mix tape for her, and so she's overcoming the stigma of liking my stuff.

She announced just yesterday that This Years Model is 'great', My Aim is True is 'ok', but strangely reckons that Armed Forces is 'boring' !?!

Mayhap she'll accompany me to one of the shows in Feb. :) (that's a pretty safe bet, since I'll be paying/ driving etc).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha.

You let her have a BOYFRIEND?!

Tell her that wehitandrun is heartbroken and single.
John

Post by John »

I think your first born's in depth reviews of the first three albums are about right, RTHTW.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

This morning, First Born remarked that EC is "quite a poet" - high praise indeed from an Eng Lit student.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I know I've said this before, but my kids love Elvis and I love that. I don't even have to coax them into listening or anything. They even like TJL!

I'm lucky. :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

RTHTW, have you played her My Science Fiction Twin or Battered Old Bird yet? Liking these would signal a new level of Elvis appreciation for her. I'm sure you'd be most proud of her then.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Bamboo, I'm afraid she never listens to my advice. :roll:

I originally suggested she start with My Aim is True, so she picked This Years Model!

She's now familair with the first 3 albums so I suggested moving on in chronological order, but it looks like she wants All This Useless Beauty next! (for a long time the title track was the only song of his she professed to liking).

Think I'll leave her to find her own way around my CDs.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I'm not into My Science Fiction Twin yet- which is odd, because Brutal Youth is one of my favorite albums ever.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Ready, Just tell her that Brutal Youth and Blood & Chocolate are not among his better albums then.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin your point.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My first born (12 next month) has yet to get the bug, moderate interest is as far as it goes, apart from requesting Indoor Fireworks on holiday, which is a pretty cool first place to start. Tom Waits is faring better, he's now putting on CDs from my collection, e.g. Alice, and appears to like them as weird as possible, so for example the one with a bizarre German title got a special mention. That's my boy!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I had a moment with my firstborn last sunday. he's been after me to bring all my cds home to peruse (he has previously expressed nothing but disdain). I cart everything in I think he might be interested in, but he only chooses one folder.

This folder is essentially elvis, nick lowe and john prine. my own little trinity.

I'm still not believing it.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

My niece was dragged kicking an screaming to an EC concert about two years back...after the concert she became obsessed with Elvis. My brother is quite proud.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

My son John is a mathemetician, statistician, and a physicist, and he loves Il Sogno, as does my 12 year old daughter, who is a primo martial artist. Both rate TDM as a source for a few good songs, but they really do not like the country sound. Between the two Sep 04 releases, Il Sogno is the hands down fav.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:I had a moment with my firstborn last sunday. he's been after me to bring all my cds home to peruse (he has previously expressed nothing but disdain). I cart everything in I think he might be interested in, but he only chooses one folder.

This folder is essentially elvis, nick lowe and john prine. my own little trinity.

I'm still not believing it.
There's a good boy - from refusal to perusal.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

somebody's been up eating his Wheaties. refusal, perusal, bamboozle.

god, I hope he didn't throw it off a bridge or something so he never had to hear them again...

I'll add an update for all you concerned fans. He did not throw my cds off a bridge. He did upload 3 gigs of elvis and enjoys the music but wishes elvis could sing.

rome wasn't built in a day.
Like me, the "g" is silent.