Grammys

Pretty self-explanatory
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Grammys

Post by scielle »

EC just got a Grammy nod for "Best Male Pop Vocal Performance" for Let's Misbehave... go figure
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah. He may not win, but I'm glad for him.

At least someone noticed he was in the movie. He took a lot of criticism for that appearance, and DrS and I really enjoyed it.

If it just weren't for all the rude elderly people in the movie theatre at the time. . . . .
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Wait, there's more!

M2M - up for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
TDM - up for Best Rock Album
Scarlet Tide - Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Wow, who woke up?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.grammy.com/awards/grammy/47list.TXT

-Field 1 - Pop
Category 6 - Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
(For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.)

• Let's Misbehave
Elvis Costello
Track from: De-lovely - Music From The Motion Picture (Various Artists)
[Columbia]

-Field 4 - Rock
Category 16 - Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

• Monkey To Man
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Track from: The Delivery Man
[Lost Highway Records]

-Field 4 - Rock

Category 21 - Best Rock Album
(Vocal or Instrumental. Includes Hard Rock and Metal.)

• The Delivery Man
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
[Lost Highway Records

-Field 22 - Film/TV/Visual Media

Category 79 - Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

• Cold Mountain
Various Artists
[DMZ/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax]

-Field 22 - Film/TV/Visual Media

Category 81 - Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(A Songwriter(s) award. For a song (melody & lyrics) written specifically for a motion picture, television or other visual media, and released for the first time during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

• The Scarlet Tide (From Cold Mountain)
Henry Burnett & Elvis Costello, songwriters (Alison Krauss)
Track from: Cold Mountain
[DMZ/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax; Publishers: Plangent Visions Music/Henry Burnett Music

-Field 25 - Album Notes

Category 87 - Best Album Notes

• No Thanks! The '70's Punk Rebellion
Chris Morris, album notes writer (Various Artists)
[Rhino Records]

-Field 27 - Production, Non-Classical

Category 89 - Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
(An Engineer's Award. (Artists names appear in parenthesis.))

• The Girl In The Other Room
Al Schmitt, engineer (Diana Krall)
[Verve]

-Field 27 - Production, Non-Classical

Category 90 - Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical
(A Producer's Award. (Artists names appear in parenthesis.))

• T Bone Burnett
• Cold Mountain - Soundtrack (Various Artists)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

is this a personal best?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Predicting Grammy behavior is always fun, so here's my guess as to our hero's chances.

Vocal performance is a tough one: EC getting an award for doing a Cole Porter song, and against this competition? the Josh guy gets the old fuddy duddy voters; Mayer gets the young ones; Prince gets the cool ones; and Seal gets the ... fashionistas? No chance.

Rock Performance: here I think our man is also in trouble having to beat out Bono and the boys as well as American Idiot. Won't do it. By the way, I listened to the first few songs from the Idiot album at my local Borders, and I thought damned, this is what Spector tried to do with the Ramones. A punk-pop wall of sound. Nice. I figure U2 wins, but I would give it to GD.

Now, Rock Album is where our man has the best chance to get a big award (and one he won't have to share with T-Bone): here he only faces American Idiot, which has enough other nominations to probably not need to be singled out for another one. I think he wins this one, which really has a nice ring to it: Best Rock Album!!. It screams validation, and should draw oohs and aahs, and coos, hugs and air kisses from Diana, Elton, David, Macca and all of EC's new best friends. Disclaimer: if American Idiot does not win for its other nominations, EC is out of luck even here, since GD has to get at least one.

All this is idle and uninformed speculation on an afternoon where I feel like doing absolutely nothing useful, and where I join the chorus and thank Dr. Spook for allowing me the freedom to indulge.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I think he'll lose them all.

Male Pop Vocal will go to John Mayer. Rock Album will go to Green Day. Rock Performance will go to U2 (or maybe Green Day). Motion Picture Song will go to Annie Lennox.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Grammys have become such a joke. The nominators can't decide whether they want to reward the old fogeys or the pop stars so they end up picking a mediocre slice of the two.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I agree. With all the great albums EC has put out over the years and zip nominations. Now they are just throwing him bones.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

BlueChair wrote:The Grammys have become such a joke. The nominators can't decide whether they want to reward the old fogeys or the pop stars so they end up picking a mediocre slice of the two.
sabreman wrote:I agree. With all the great albums EC has put out over the years and zip nominations. Now they are just throwing him bones.
That's why it would be utter humiliation for him to go there. Imagine if they don't give him anything... he'd have sat through all that bullshit for nothing. Or rather, for the slim hope that those idiots saw fit to recognize his talent a little bit, when, as everybody knows, they don't really have any idea. They're just coked up morons that "go with the flow", ya know... They've got no soul. They've had none for a while, as they keep failing to recognize so many real people with talent, past and present. In reality, it would be nice if they shut the fuck up. But that's not likely to happen.

To the extent that I care, I will be a disappointment if EC hasn't learnt his lesson by now: ie. don't go for cheap applause. It's just the kind of charade that might in fact do him serious PR damage.

They can play a bit of the Monkey To Man video over and over, every time they say "El-vis Cos-te-llooooo"... and maybe "and the Imposters". Or some stuff from old videos (when "he was an angry young man"). What would Elvis be saying? Nothing that wouldn't betray any worthwhile rock n' roll ethos...! He's not "in movies" or anything. He's not a real actor. He doesn't have to be there. It shouldn't make any difference as to whether he gets one or not, right...? Wrong! Even Sting could have told him that. So what would it mean? Zero, if not less than zero. And everybody knows it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

everything means less than zero.

I'd like to see him get the recognition. I don't hold out much hope, but it would be cool if TDM won best rock album. I'm sure Elvis doesn't need the recognition--I think the people whose opinions he cares about admire his work and he knows that, so having britney hand him a grammy would be more surreal than a thrill. but it would be a moment, wouldn't it?

What about Diana?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Bamboo Needle's reaction is reasonable and sane, but, sadly, EC's behavior over the last few years leads me to conclude that he is happy as a pig in shit that he has been nominated for all these categories, and will make every effort to be there at the ceremony to have his mug photographed in all its glory, whether in glee or disappointment. It's show biz, and his every move over the last few years is indicative that he digs it, in all its tawdry glory. Think of those pictures of him and Diana mingling with the coked up morons after the Oscars. He looked blissful and I don't think it was the proximity to Diana that was the sole reason. I hope I'm wrong.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm pretty sure he even met Diana at the Grammys.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I will be watching, and recording his victory speeches on my DVR. :D
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:I will be watching, and recording his victory speeches on my DVR. :D
That's assuming the televise the categories in which he is nominated for.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

BlueChair wrote:I'm pretty sure he even met Diana at the Grammys.
I believe he first saw her when Cait brought him to one of her concerts in Australia, though they may not have met then.
And No Coffee Table

BlueChair wrote:That's assuming the televise the categories in which he is nominated for.
Yep. Don't forget that the vast majority are not televised.
And No Coffee Table

martinfoyle wrote:I believe he first saw her when Cait brought him to one of her concerts in Australia, though they may not have met then.
I don't think so. They met at the Grammys February 28, 2002.

They were then both in Australia in July 2002. Diana played the Sydney Opera House on the 14th, 15th, and 16th. Elvis played Sydney's Enmore Theatre on the 10th, 12th, and 13th. He had the 14th off, before shows in Canberra and Melbourne on the 15th and 16th.

So presumably the Diana concert he and Cait attended was on the 14th.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

2005 Grammy Nominees
Various Artists

Availability: This item will be released on February 1, 2005.

Track Listings

1. Let's Get It Started - Black Eyed Peas
2. Here We Go Again - Ray Charles with Norah Jones
3. American Idiot - Green Day
4. Heaven - Los Lonely Boys
5. If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys
6. Burn - Usher
7. Through The Wire - Kanye West
8. She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5
9. You Had Me - Joss Stone
10. Redneck Woman - Gretchen Wilson
11. The First Cut Is The Deepest - Sheryl Crow